Giant Rainier 2003 Hardtail

4.25/5 (65 Reviews)

Submitted by Jaymark a Cross Country Rider from Plymouth, UK

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2010

Strengths:    Great all rounder goes everywhere, strong and indestructible...so far

Weaknesses:    Mech Brakes weren't best upgraded to Shimano Deore Hyraulics They're sweet and strong

Bottom Line:
Love the bike so much I can't part with it. It was one of the first to have disk brakes and so is a trend setter. Shame they don't make that model anymore.

Favorite Trail:   Black mountains

Purchased At:   Leesburg, Va

Similar Products Used:   First MTB and now 6 years old! Going as good as it did although I have ridden Kona and GT and honestly they're no better

Bike Setup:   Manitou Axel forks but upgraded to Shimano XT Cranks, & Rear derailleur and deore front derailleur and bottom bracket. Same wheels, but use Kenda Kinetics extra wide tyres

Submitted by TulsaClint a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa OK, United States

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2010

Strengths:    Great frame, sturdy wheels. Good frame to upgrade components on as you progress in riding.

Weaknesses:    Fork is worthless. Manitou Axel fork adjustment seems to do nothing, finally broke the fork this year, arch snapped in half. Seatpost bolt snapped on me after 1500 miles.

Bottom Line:
Great hardtail platform to add upgrades too, great frame that I've ridden hard for years on tough technical trails. Only gets a 4 overall rating because some of the original components really don't belong on this bike and the bike could be a lot better, although more expensive, with better components (main thing i.e. is the Manitou Axel fork).

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mountain

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana SE, Specialized Hardrock disc.

Bike Setup:   Fox Float RL, Shimano XT rear deraileur and crankset, WTB seat.

Submitted by butterbeMTB a Racer from ellicott city, md, usa

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2010

Strengths:    very srrong & reliable

Weaknesses:    seat is very hard, handlebars are wierd

Bottom Line:
great beginner mountian bike will last longer than you.

Favorite Trail:   raystown lake

Purchased At:   more forum

Bike Setup:   manitou platinum black fork, thomson elite seatpost, wtb grips,kenda kinetics tires

Submitted by Barkleyfan a Cross Country Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2008

Strengths:    Brakes are a work of art, component spec is great for the price level, bike is plain sturdy overall.

Weaknesses:    Fork is WEAK. I weigh 230 lbs, and the fork simply can't handle me. Also notice alot of flex at the bottom bracket when I hammer.

Bottom Line:
Sturdy, not TOO heavy @ 28lbs, and a nice, precise drivetrain. This bike was the best hardtail Giant offered at the time, and by far the best hardtail I could find anywhere near the pricerange. I've beat the bike for years on Shirley Meadows, Mt Pinos, Keysville, Mt Elden, and various CC trails around Iowa. Tires wear pretty quick, but they're pretty decent otherwise. Drivetrain stays true (I've had to adjust it a couple times since 2003) and wheels have never had to be touched. Brakes are everything I could ask for; high power, good modulation, and low maintenance. The geometry is comfortable and responsive without getting nervous (19 inch)

I don't like the fork. At 230 lbs, I'm not a finesse rider. I'm thinking about trying to upgrade the fork to a heavier spring and a lockout. My only other complaint is BB flex, but at my weight, I have yet to find a frame that won't flex when I hammer.

All in all, this bike is hard to touch in it's price range, and it can be lightened up if you want to race.

Favorite Trail:   Shirley Meadows

Purchased At:   http://finishlinebik

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list

Bike Setup:   Deore front derailur, LX rear derailur, Deore shifters, Avid CPS disc brakes Avid Ad3 levers, Truvative Fire X crankset with Isis bottom bracket, Snafu concave pedals, shimano disc hubs, Mavic X139 rims, Hutchinson Mosquito tires, Giant stem, riser bar, seat, and seatpost, and the Manitou Axel Super fork.

Submitted by jeepmb a Cross Country Rider from lake wood,co,u.s.a

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    high quality components,nice suspension, great tires, and very, very, very durable

Weaknesses:    durability comes at a price, this bike is a very heavy bike and has a hard time coasting

Bottom Line:
this bike rocks but it is extremely heavy for my needs so i am looking at other bikes such as the fuel ex 9, but for beginners this is a dream but being surrounded by a family of full suspension bikers its hard to resist them.

yes i would recommend this to a friend

Favorite Trail:   mesa loop

Purchased At:   adventure cycles

Similar Products Used:   trek 4100

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Richmond

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2007

Strengths:    Light frame, handling, brakes, rims

Weaknesses:    Sh-t stock pedals, worthless fork/shock

Bottom Line:
Great starter Mt. bike, a few steps up from entry level with some good stock components, Deore Lx rear DR, Avid bb-5 brakes and Mavic rims give you a competent, solid ride with good handling and shifting. Will want to replace fork and especially the worthless, cheap Forte pedals. Giant rocks! Excellent frame geometry!

Favorite Trail:   Pony Pasture/Huguenot Flatwater

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Demoed GT Avalanche 1.0, Giant Yukon, own a Specialized Corssroads Sport

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ Rock Shox Judy fork, Avid BB 5 brakes, Mavic Rims

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Newark, DE, USofA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2007

Strengths:    Great Price and components. Frame rocks! great geometry, light, unique color. Fork has never bottomed out, holds up well, 1/2 air, 1/2 spring.

Weaknesses:    Tires: Kenda, wear fast and way too thin for real riding (puncture easily).

Bottom Bracket: I have had it for about a year now with no problems, but it has begun to click with the force of pedaling, annoying.

Pedals: Cheep. Dont hold my feet very well. Easy upgrade, no worries.

No Bash Gaurd: The bike did not come with a bash gaurd which is lame. I had to replace my biggest chain ring with a bash gaurd, well worth it though. I never really used the big chain ring on trails anyway.

Bottom Line:
This bike is sweet. My first mid range bike--I was used to riding fully ridged, early 90's bikes--and it has proven heavy-use worthy.

While I haven't really upgraded too extensively, this bike is a keeper that I will continually upgrade for years and years to come.

Great beginners bike, and not too expensive.

I am giving it an overall rating of 4 chilis b/c I have never owned a high end bike and can not compair. However, for a mid-range bike 5 chilis all the way!

Favorite Trail:   Plantation Trail, WV

Purchased At:   Wooden Wheels

Bike Setup:   Stock except Panaracer XC pro tire (front), Panaracer DH (rear), better pedals, and bash gaurd added.

Submitted by Satchel a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2007

Strengths:    Frame rocks, avid brakes, Marzocchi EXR is pretty good for the price, kenda tires

Weaknesses:    Pretty much the whole crank set, and the peddales could definitly be upgraded.

Bottom Line:
Great bike if your into mountain biking but dont want to spend thousands of dollars to get a good bike.Overall a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Delaveaga

Purchased At:   Family Cycling Center

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Brighton, Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2006

Strengths:    Mavic X139 rims, AVID disk brakes, Fram,

Weaknesses:    Axel pro fork-Stock spring had to put in a stiff spring and add a lockout $90 for both, now this shock rocks. Crank is average I may upgrade. Grips suck upgraded to Ergon grips.

Bottom Line:
I got this from a student for $300 with less than 500 miles on the bike. $90 for new stiff spring and Lockout. $40 for new tires. This bike kicks butt for the trails I ride in and around Denver Hardpack signle track etc. It is not a downhill bike so don't get it thinking you can go play with those boys. The Shock is one of the keys to this and any bike. If you are over 160lb you need to upgrade you stock shock with a heavy spring or get a new air shock that you can tune to your weight a lockout is a must also if you want to blow past all the weenies in the climbs!
The Value Rating is a 5 because of the steal I got. and the overall is a 4 because there is always you can do to improve this and any bike.

Favorite Trail:   Apex

Purchased At:   Used from C.U. Student

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper.

Bike Setup:   IRC Mythos, upgraded shock spring and LO, Ergon grips. Everything else is stock.

Submitted by Fred Prather a Weekend Warrior from ft scott

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2005

Strengths:    light frame, quick handler, avid disc work great, drivetrain shifts good, price, wheels seem strong, wide gearing, clipless pedals, color

Weaknesses:    hutchinson tires to soft(wore-out the back in 3 months), Manitou axel way to soft for my 185 lbs, having a problem with crank bolts working loose, Top tube just a bit short for me

Bottom Line:
My wife bought this bike for my birthday, and did a great job(praise bicycles etc. for being so nice to her!) I love the bike, very fast and probably 10lbs lighter than my ancient boulder. The spring is too light in the fork for my lard @$$, but easily fixed when I find a firmer spring. My only two real complaints: the top tube is too short(which was fixed for the most part with a new stem), and the cranks(can not keep the bolts from loosening, even with RED loctite!) I really like the quick handling, now that I am use to it, quite a change from my old boulder(69.5 head). Soon as I find the spring and swap my bracket/cranks(I hate taperlocks) for octilinks or isis; I will be extremely happy. Great bike for the dough, especially a birthday gift.

Favorite Trail:   neosho, mo

Purchased At:   bicycles etc.

Similar Products Used:   giant boulder se(rode into the ground), raleigh m80, trek 4500, and giant rincon

Bike Setup:   Kenda Klaw back tire, easton ea70 stem, mini pump, saddle bag(2 spares) 19" frame

Submitted by Alan a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa (Ontario, Canada)

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2005

Strengths:    Avid Mechanical disk brakes and Mavic X139 rims
Marzocchi EXR fork (air)
Deore LX rear derailleur
Paint job and frame quality

Weaknesses:    Hutchinson Mosquito tires - rapid wear
Shimano Deore Bottom Bracket - ticking noise

Bottom Line:
I posted a review in October 2003 regarding this bike. Here is an update... Still love my Rainier (2003 model) !!!!
I have replaced my Hutchinson tires with something else and I will be changing my bottom bracket with an upgrade because of an annoying ticking noise. The BB works fine and turns smoothly without being wobbly. I had my LBS look at it (taken apart for maintenance and put back together) but the noise is still there (I can confirm the noise is from the BB after a lengthy search). I will simply upgrade the BB and I might spend the $$$ for a crank upgrade. The Deore HollowTech crank does flex somewhat under heavy use but it has held up (rider weight 190 lbs).

The Mavic X139 rims have performed well given the variety of road and trail use. Recently, I have purchased a 2nd set of rims for my city tires (Alex ACE19).

The Marzocchi EXR (air) fork has performed very well. Very reliable and I have yet to bottom it out (I use my bike for transit and XC trails - not drop offs).

I absolutely love the Avid Mechanical brakes. They brake hard with very little maintenance. They are easy to adjust as the pads wear down (dials). Replacement pads are inexpensive (16$ Cdn per pair).

For approx. 1100 $ Cdn, this is a hard bike to beat. The overall package is a good bang for the buck !!! I highly recommend this bike for the average user. This is not a competition bike.

Similar Products Used:   other hardtails (nothing worth mentioning)

Bike Setup:   Stock except for 2nd set of rims - Alex ACE19 with Atomic hubs

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Buxton, Maine

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2004

Strengths:    Great Frame, Avid Discs, Price

Weaknesses:    Tires, Crank, Deore parts

Bottom Line:
A Great bike for the price. I upgraded to an XT drivetrain for more reliability, although after my expirience with SRAM's X-9 on my NRS, I may go that route also. The tires are absolute junk and need to be replaced, but other than that, no complaints. A good bike and component spec for someone looking for their first serious bike, and a good starting point to upgrade from for those of a more serious nature.

Favorite Trail:   Pride's Corner Loop

Purchased At:   Quinn's Bike

Similar Products Used:   Old Iguana SE Hardtail, NRS 3

Bike Setup:   Stock except Kenda Front & Velociraptor Rear Tires, XT Drivetrain

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Wyndmoor, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2004

Strengths:    awesome light frame, avids are nice too, frame geometry good, included clipless pedals

Weaknesses:    hutchinson mosquito tires suck on ice, dirt, loose rocks, hell everything! cranks stink, just had to replace them (LX - very light and rigid), fork bottoms out alot when i ride...i am waiting for it to pop one day.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for the type of trails that I am riding in the Wissahickon. The terrain is very rocky and hilly at times, and this bike has taken everything that I have thrown at it so far. While the fork and the included tires are a weakness to the overall package, for what I paid this bike is a steal. Currently, I am turning this bike into a race machine, where the only stock part will be the awesome frame and maybe the brakes. I would recommend this bike to anyone with a tight budget but a willingness to upgrade. If you ride hard, then this bike will survive, but only if you maintain it.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon Backcountry

Purchased At:   Performance Montgomeryville

Similar Products Used:   first bike

Bike Setup:   stock + shimano PD-520 SPD pedals + Panaracer XC tires + shimano Deore LX Crank + shimano octalink bottom bracket + raptor light system

Submitted by Francis Marcoux a Cross Country Rider from Mascouche, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2004

Strengths:    -Avid mechanical break are working great
-Seat is confortable and not as sleepy as last one
EXR air fork is working on the way I was expecting
- Very good painting

Weaknesses:    - Mosquito tires wore too fast
- My chain brooke twice on paved road (after only 200 km)even with a great care and maintenance
- Air fork needs a special pump while my Louis Garneau can do the job and it is a standar mini pump
- My front derailleur broke in two after 200 km
- a litlle bite on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
A good bike in this category, a lot of extra's like Air fork and mechanical break, such thing you'll find on pricier bike.
I lost one front break pad after 50 km and they cost as much as my car ones!!! My chain brooke twice on very smooth road and the second time it also broke my front derailleur. So i updated for XT chain and front derailleur and it works better now.

Mosquito tires are real piece of scrap. I not able to climp very big step as the tire loose the grip very easily. Also i found that the tire are not very good in corner while they are fast on paved road. But it is a good idea to upgrade; I installed Panracer XC pro and I very satisfied.

In overall I am satisfied with what i got

Favorite Trail:   Mont Ste-Anne