Giant Iguana 2003 Hardtail

4.51/5 (53 Reviews)

Submitted by MTBCanuck a Weekend Warrior from Scottsdale

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, wicked strong MX-2s, EXR fork, Deore

Weaknesses:    Had some issues with the BB and cranks

Bottom Line:
Absolutely love ripping on this bike. Solid right out of the box.

Purchased At:   2006 Iguana Disc fro

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, Specialized, you name it, I've owned it.

Bike Setup:   Stock but with ALEX double walled rims

Submitted by jenny200 a Weekend Warrior from Enterprise/Kaiserslautern

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for $75.00 and it was in good shape. 5 years later I'm headed for KMC in Germany & everyone says there are plenty of bike trails and to take the bike. My question is, how much would be reasonable to rejuvenate for a very novice rider?

Favorite Trail:   ?

Purchased At:   Antique Mall Booth

Bike Setup:   Iguana 630 18"/ Says 4130 Custom Butted on the frame under the seat.

Submitted by Captainkanji a Cross Country Rider from Carbondale, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2010

Strengths:    Nice frame. Excellent front shocks, although I,m not sure if they are original. They work well, even in sub freezing weather. My Giant Rincon shocks stop working below freezing.

Weaknesses:    Crappy stock pedals (I bought the bike used), replaced them right away. Chain guard was completely broken off when I purchased. Had to get some Ankle biters :p

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike used. It looks like it saw some heavy use before I purchased it, but It's still an excellent bike for the price. Even used, it was a nice upgrade from my Rincon. Shifting can be troublesome when it hits below 20 degrees, but that's to be expected lol. I use this for my main transportation to work, even in winter. I highly recommend this for anyone looking for a quality entry level bike.

Favorite Trail:   back roads of Southern IL

Purchased At:   Phoenix Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rincon for a spare

Submitted by theOldestCraze a Weekend Warrior from Topeka

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2010

Strengths:    Durable, Reliable, Hidden Strengths, Ignorable

Bottom Line:
I have used this bike to ride to work and back, and have discovered local trails. This is my "go-to" bike for unfamiliar routes. I have learned the basics of off-road biking without belittling my equipment.

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   Capps Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Newprophet a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN, US

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2009

Strengths:    Strong Aluminum-Magnesium frame, very good brakes, generally sturdy components.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires and weight (compared to newer bikes)

Bottom Line:
This was my first real mountain bike that I got 5 years ago and today it still one of my best bikes. Apart from the parts I wore out from overuse, (tires, BB and front shock) this bike has been a champ and rides like a dream. I would strongly recommend this bike to anyone new to mountain biking who wants to keep their bike for a long time.

Purchased At:   Backstreet Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   '05 GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for Marzocchi Dirt Jumper III front shock and tires.

Submitted by jpvieau a Cross Country Rider from Oak Creek, Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, easy riding, minimal repairs

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side, but I knew what I was buying.

Bottom Line:
I have had this Iguana since 1990. It sat for a few years due to other interests. Been back with it the past 3 seasons. The parts are stock except for a new derailer, which was rusted. (stored in a garage for the winter). Takes alot of abuse off road. Added a bike rack with Topeak MDX Quick Trac bag so I can take cold beer on the rides. A little heavy, but aren't all bikes too heavy when you ride uphill on dirt trails?? I'd recommend as a great entry level bike that has held up well.

Purchased At:   Wheel And Sprocket

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by sam vilneff a Weekend Warrior from canada

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2007

Strengths:    light only 14 pds. cf handlebars seatpost susp. hardtail. custom made

Weaknesses:    awkward to get used to

Bottom Line:
great bike for ridin trails and extremly lite,

Favorite Trail:   bloody mary

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   got for free

Bike Setup:   Giant Iguana

Submitted by Ryan Reid a Cross Country Rider from Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2007

Strengths:    Strong Frame, Lockout Marzocchi MZ Race Fork, Better Derailleur components than Kona in the Price Range (Shimano Deore), Hayes MX2 disc Brakes,

Weaknesses:    Some Brake Squeaking but they are not nearly worn in yet so that is to be expected

Bottom Line:
Well, I got the new 2007 model and the main difference is the stronger XC Frame. It is race proven and can even be seen on its more expensive brothers. It shifts Well and stops on a dime. I can get alot of torque in low end gears which makes pulling wheelies easy.

I am only a novice biker and I am really happy with the performance I am getting from the Iguana. I am a heavy guy and it is really holding up to probably 100km of riding in the past month.

I would say to anyone who fits this description. "Buy it and you will not be dissapointed"

Favorite Trail:   Bruce Trail

Purchased At:   Pedlar's

Similar Products Used:   Kona Blast, Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc, Giant Yukon, Friends Giant Rainer

Bike Setup:   Fully Stock. Hoping to upgrade as I need it

Submitted by Bike Guy a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2007

Strengths:    Great Bike, light frame, study feel, works flawlessly.

Weaknesses:    Seat a little hard, had to replace with big butt seats.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price. Disc brakes are awesome, don't get any less than that.

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Stock except for seat.

Submitted by Dylan Baxter a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2006

Strengths:    The frame!

Weaknesses:    Expect to replace components with heavy abuse. DUH! ;)
Hutchinson Mosquito's weren't all that great.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike brand new in '03 to get outside and into some wilderness. After a few leisurely rides with the female attending, the tires were already worn down and got crap for traction. The bike remained stock (excepting the saddle) and mostly unused while life changes ensued, etc.
Six months ago I relocated to mountain bike heaven and hardly go a day without a ride. This bike has been with me on every trail I can get to under my own power and some of the lower-end components have suffered. First to go after the tires was the bottom bracket (replaced the crankset as well for a dramatic drop in weight), followed by the front derailleur and grips. Next to be replaced is that rear Deore and hanger which have withstood some abuse (at the cost of lots of maintenance). The Tektro V-brakes are dying and are being replaced with Avid BB7 discs soon as I require more control on hairy descents and trials maneuvers.
Bottom line, this bike was a great purchase. I dont spend my rides trying the same drops over and over again and I damn sure dont take a car to the top of the hill, but I've spent enough time in the air and at speed to appreciate a frame that just doesn't give up and is also light and extremely agile. If you're in the market for a bike to take out into the wilderness and be able to depend on, this is your bike. Big honkin' chilies.
Sorry for the novel. 'Hope it helps.

Favorite Trail:   Jedi

Purchased At:   Dominic's Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Everything my friends bring on the trail.

Bike Setup:   Stock except XTR Crank/BB, XT front der., WTB saddle, Ritchey grips and FireXC Pro tires. So not stock.

Submitted by Don Grantonic a Cross Country Rider from New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2006

Strengths:    Frame Geometry, Deore Rear Derailleur, Marzocchi Forks, Disk Brakes

Weaknesses:    Alivio Front Derailleur, Pedals and Handle Grips

Bottom Line:
Due to the fact that I'm a right arm amputee frame geometry means everything. When I set out to buy a new XC Hardtail I had my sights on another Kona Fire Mountain, since I owned one previously and that bike fit me great. I learned to maneuver that bike as well as many two-armed bikers so it made since to get another one, however the bike shop that I bought my Kona (Loco Motion) no longer stocked that brand of bike, but they could order it if I wanted it. I looked around the bike shop for another brand with similar geometry and had the sales clerk take the Giant Iguana down of the rack so I could take it for a test ride around the parking lot. This bike felt just like my old Kona and within minutes I was convinced to buy the bike. Since my Kona I havn't done any serious cross-country montain biking which has been about 6 years, but within a matter of the first time out on the trail it was like I didn't miss a day of riding on the Giant. It's great to be back out in the woods on the trail again and I would recommend the Giant Iguana to anyone especially those that are just getting into cross-country mountain biking. I plan on upgrading my Giant starting with the padals and front derailleur. The other components I will upgrade as I wear them out.

Favorite Trail:   Snow Hill Road and Spruce Creek

Purchased At:   Loco Motion, Winter Park FL

Similar Products Used:   Kona Fire Mountain, Klein Pulse Comp

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Exr Forks, Alivio Front Deraileur, Deore Rear Derailleur, Kenda Blue Groove and Nevegal Tires, Double Wall Rims, Truvativ Isoflow Cranks

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from MIchigan

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2005

Strengths:    Super light frame. I bought this bike for entry to mountain biking and couldn't be happier. Like I said the bike is super light. Decent components and a great bike for upgrades.

Weaknesses:    The brakes. V-brakes suck. I would recommend upgrading to discs. Several times I found my front brake rubbing against the rim of the wheel. I would try to adjust it and later on the trail it would rub again.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is that if you want a great entry level bike, this is the way to go. I have been using this bike for a month now and feel very confident and comfortable. Has the ability to take some really intense downhills and it looks sweet! There's no reason to pass on a bike like this. Only reccomendation is to take off those silly v-brakes and swap them out with some discs.

Favorite Trail:   ILRA

Submitted by Jesse a Weekend Warrior from St. Michael, Minnesota

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2005

Strengths:    good price for what you get, good parts group from shimano,

Weaknesses:    good parts group but still could be better, integrated headset (bad!), tires are only good for muddy situations (very slippery on anything else)

Bottom Line:
Good Beginner bike, wouldn't bet on the frame or parts for anything more than just weekend riding stuff. Like the bike, needs a spring tune-up here pretty soon though.

Purchased At:   Prairie Cycle and Ski

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rincon, Giant Warp DS 3

Bike Setup:   everything stock except for the Easton Stem

Submitted by J D a Cross Country Rider from CAN

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2004

Strengths:    light fram :) very light fram :) nice fork, good seat, rides great, good for hitting a few jumps on the way, super light weight, and more

Weaknesses:    breaks getting a bit spongy

Bottom Line:
the longest ride I took this bike on was a 70 k ride, and this bike whould not give in even when I almost did

if you wana ride fast, hit small jumps/drops, get out and get muddy this it the bike for you.

Bike Setup:   some shimano stuff... a michelin tire in the rear, mosquito in the front, and so on

Submitted by Brian Rowe a Weekend Warrior from Milwaukee, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2004

Strengths:    The frame is mainly what you are paying for. This thing is tough and light. I couldn't have asked for better geometry. The tob tub is nice and low for good clearance, while the head tube brings the front wheel in nice and close to the frame for those tight turns. The Pilot up front works well for me. It sucks up a good amount of shock on 1 meter jumps, without sucking away control and pedaling power. I will give the wheels some credit as well. They are not top shelf by any means, but they will last, and last.

Weaknesses:    Now that you have a great frame, good forks, and decent wheels, get rid of the rest. I hate to say it, but everything else should only be temporary. The cranks are monstrous, the bars belong on a beach cruiser, the seat is comfortable but weak, and the tires. Oh the tires. I knew this buying the bike, but once again, I bought it for the frame and fork.

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love this bike. While it does have its share of bad parts, the ride just feels good. Besides, it's all about customization. You can't expect a stock bike to be perfect for you. If you are new to riding, this will be a good opportunity to test out your preferences.

Favorite Trail:   Dogcrap Trail

Purchased At:   Cory the Bike Fixer

Bike Setup:   A strange cannibalization of other bikes, including a BMX.

Biking in Purto Plata with Iguana Mama

EDIT: See review below. Has anybody here done one of these trips? [url=http://www.iguanamama.com/el-choco-cross-country-mountain-biking]El Choco Loco (44km) - Iguana Mama, Cabarete Adventure Tours[/url]Read More »

giant iguana or fuji odessa 1.0

I am deciding between these two bikes, the giant is on the shorter end of my size frame, the fuji is right on. I havent ridden either of these yet, im about to. Just spec wise which is a better bike? the giant is a 2004 or 2003 and the fuji is a 2008.Read More »

giant iguana

I think this is a 2004 [url=http://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/3296338039.html]Giant (Iguana) brand mountain bike[/url] What do you guys think of this bike and the price?Read More »

Help! Crankset for Giant Iguana Disc (2003)

I need to upgrade a crankset (22-32-42) on a 2003 Giant Iguana Disc. The BB is 68mm english and it has 113 spindle. Can someone please refer a crankset for this bike? I'm not even sure if I can switch it out myself depending on what tools I will need. The BB seems fine it is just my chain-wheels tha ... Read More »

What size is the seatpost clamp on an Iguana Disc?

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if you can tell me what size the seatpost clamp is on my bike...no idea what year it is (4-5 years old, maybe? I don't know, got it used last fall)...I want to ditch my quick-release because theft of seats/posts is rampant here, but they tend to just grab the easy ones ... Read More »