Giant Iguana Disc 2003 Hardtail

4.31/5 (52 Reviews)

Submitted by ed bruce a Weekend Warrior from wollongong, NSW, australia

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2008

Strengths:    nice light frame, good geometry.

Weaknesses:    forks twist, resulted in broken front axle and they later snapped on the arch, wheels are very bent, drive train has been replaced after 3000km brakes don't last for long.

Bottom Line:
good for light xc and city bashing, not a very tough bike. treat it like its going to break cause it probably will!!. cheap parts need constant attention.

Favorite Trail:   possoms

Purchased At:   Bathurst, Australia

Similar Products Used:   Rincon....broken frame!!

Bike Setup:   stock, now has maxxis crossmark tires, and new deore/deore lx derailleurs, doesn't make it any better though.

Submitted by Bun a Cross Country Rider from Evergreen CO

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2006

Strengths:    Update Review:
2100 trail miles and the Iguana is not moving to second chair.
The bike has performed as I had expected, I was looking for a big frame, light and strong, anticipating upgrading components as needed.

Weaknesses:    Hutchinson tires are the worst. The Manitou SixSport fork did not provide the performance I needed, the house brand chainrings wore out, and the brad vs scews design and had to replace rings and cranks. The rear wheel had to be replaced due to stress induced flex.

Bottom Line:
this bike has continued to perform just as I needed/expected.
It met my price point in '03, allowed me to incrementally upgrade components as needed.
It has served me well, and will continue to be part of my stable as my primary hardtail.

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Specialized HardRock

Bike Setup:   stock frame, Manitou Black SuperAir fork, Shimano cranks and rings, rear Sun rim w/LX hub, WTB saddle and Eggbeaters Candy pedals.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2006

Strengths:    Price, overall durability, brakes, appearance.

Weaknesses:    Fork, crankset

Bottom Line:

This bike is not:
-a DH/Freeride bike
-a high-end bike in any arena

That being said, this was the best blend of quality and price that I could find...my biggest gripe is with the Manitou shock, if I were keeping the bike long term I would swap that out for something better w/ 100mm travel or so. The front crankset and chainrings are low quality, I ended up upgrading these but only recently to sell...I haven't ridden more than a mile on pavement since the upgrade but I can say the bike lost a bit of weight as a result.

The brakes are awesome for mechanicals. If you feel this isn't the case, than spend the money on Hydros because mechanicals don't get better than this, especially on a bike that comes outta the box at $500.

Same applies to the other components...both front and rear derailheurs have served well, they aren't the greatest but the greatest costs a whole lot more money than this bike.

I upgraded the pedals, for a mere $30, which most good riders do anyway, how often does a bike for less than $1K come with stock pedals you like and/or fit your clips?

All in all, this is a great entry level XC bike for someone on a budget. If you ride hard, or demand the best in performance, than this isn't your bike, so don't buy it.....adjust your budget (up) and buy something that meets your standards, OR, buy this bike and accept that you'll be upgrading the shock, the pedals, the tires, and a few other things of your choice to get what you want out of the bike. It's money spent either way.

In terms of value, anything less than this bike is something you'll find at Target, anything more is going to cost you considerably more. It is a great bike for the money and does exactly what it should for a bike in this price range.

Favorite Trail:   non-pavement

Purchased At:   Under the Sun

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale M400, numerous other test rides (too many to remember)

Bike Setup:   stock except for swapping the tires out for Tioga Yellow Kirium 2.3" front and back, and upgraded pedals.

Submitted by matt barton a Downhiller from ronald WA usa

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2005

Strengths:    strong light frame, good stock bars and stem and thats about it.

Weaknesses:    got a whole list of em. the front fork cross connecter broke real quick like after 10 riders. rims and tires suck, crank keeps stipping out, seat is too hard, the front brake ajuster stipped while trying to adjust.

Bottom Line:
dont get this bike unless you have the right size allen wrench for the crank screw and if all you're doing is riding it to a friends house. if you dont want anything to break on it, dont ride it.

Favorite Trail:   ratpac

Purchased At:   bike tech

Similar Products Used:   giant boulder

Submitted by Nick DeSantis a Cross Country Rider from Queensbury

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2005

Strengths:    Frame, Frame Geometry

Weaknesses:    cranks, front derailleur, fork, tires

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike, It can take most anything you throw at is, Get a new pair of tires on there, cause the stock ones suck, and then you notice how much it digs. The cranks suck really bad, I utterly hate them, that was the first thing i upgraded, along with the front derailler. The fork is mushy but with a new one, the bike feels invincible.

I recommend this bike to the fullest, a few minor things but other wise an awesome bike.

Favorite Trail:   Clendon Brook

Purchased At:   Ricks Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Kona Blast

Bike Setup:   '03 Giant Iguana Disc, Panaracer Fire XC tires

Submitted by Kerf from New York Cit-ay

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2005

Strengths:    Really, can't think of a single thing.

Weaknesses:    Where do I begin? The wheels, frame, gears, spokes. And what kind of bike these days has a banana seat??

Bottom Line:
I really can't imagine a worse bike for any bicycling purpose. I also can't believe I bought this thing in the first place. I would recommend this bike for my 3 year old cousin, but certainly not for anyone over 5. Can anyone take me to the county dump where I can put this bike where it belongs?

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Snow (in NJ)

Purchased At:   Bill's Bikes

Submitted by jeremy morgan a Downhiller from pc, utah, usa

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2004

Strengths:    aboslutely nothing on the bike

Weaknesses:    the entire bike, broke every part on it this summer. only good part that hasn't snapped is the handlebar.

Bottom Line:
this bike is horrible for racing and any type of riding that is not on pavement

Favorite Trail:   thieves forest

Purchased At:   colesport

Bike Setup:   completley stock except for tires, ( 2 maxxis minion dh)

Submitted by Bun a Cross Country Rider from Evergreen CO

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2004

Strengths:    Update Review. 1.5 years, 1100 trail miles.
bike is holding up well, overall pleased. disk brakes work well, espcially after replacing the factory set of pads to Aztecs, on 4 set of pads so far.

Weaknesses:    I broke the arch in the Manitou Six sport, replace quickly under warranty, but upgrade to Manitou Black Super Air.
Had to replace factory rear wheel, began breaking spokes on a weekly basis, due to rider weight and riding stress.

Bottom Line:
Overall Pleased, the bike has performed as I needed.
Best, lightest frame in a 23in size.
Would reccomend buying this bike.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized HardRock

Bike Setup:   factory with changes: Manitou Black super air fork, profile bar ends, ritchey clipless, suntour rear wheel.

Submitted by Ian a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2004

Strengths:    Light frame, discs stop good. I like the way the frame looks.

Weaknesses:    Tires are too weak. Seat is too hard. I dont like the parts on it.

Bottom Line:
I bought my Giant used, and now I realize it's been tinkered with. The chainguard was broken, which lead to locking my cranks today, with a 1-3 shift, somehow it got stuck in between my derailleur. It's been about 4 weeks, and I've noticed the tread on my tires are getting rather minimal. The Judy XC forks are squishy, and okay for the stuff I do, but I'd like to upgrade to something like a Z1 when I get the money.

My complaint about this bike, is that I dont really like the parts (Ahead steam makes me lean over too much, seat hurts, forks are old, tires suck.) My 21" is surprisingly light and solid, but as a whole the bike doesnt exactly show it's potential.

I dont mind having mediocre parts, but when it comes down to it, I was expecting a little more value for the dollar. I can see myself putting in another 500 to where I'll be 100% satisfied, but I dont mind, I would be upgrading anyways.
If you're looking for a good bike, for maybe commuting or mild riding. I wouldnt advise doing crazy stuff with it unless you've upgraded it with wider tires/better forks.

Purchased At:   Rocky Cycle in Surrey

Similar Products Used:   (tried friend's) 2003 Norco 1hun

Bike Setup:   2000 Judy XC forks, Kona pedals, Hutchinson Mosquito tires, Shimano Deore front caliper, Hayes rotors, Hayes HMX-1 rear caliper, Acera front derailleur, Deore rear derailleur.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2004

Strengths:    Disk brakes

Weaknesses:    Cheap tires, which wore out in two months of weekend riding. Bottom bracket the broke in 1 month. Front derailer. Cable routing, my front brake cable is wearing through my front fork.

Bottom Line:
Great starter bike. It did everything I wanted it to do. Wet, dry, up, down and cross country.
The tires wore out way to quickly. Upgraded to some nicer tires and she can really dig. The front fork has recently started to show it's weakness (after 1yr).
This bike is easy to upgrade, though the water bottle holes get in the way of the post mounted derailers.
Good starter, but if your more than a weekend rider go bigger!

Bike Setup:   stock, well...i've upgraded quite a bit

Submitted by brian from mountain view

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2004

Strengths:    frame, brakes...

Weaknesses:    fork tires rims... although they were decent i have replaced everything on the bike with new components

Bottom Line:
this is a decent bike although i have customized it heavily i dont think anything is stock... i have been building it up gradually started just replacing broken things. and things incompatible with eachother i love the fame.. and i have a lifetime waranty on it so why buy a new frame? by the way if u have any questions with sizes or anything like that send me and email i will be glad to help

Favorite Trail:   kirkwood

Purchased At:   the off ramp

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher tass, P2, P3, azomic steelhead, cannondale gemini 900, specialized stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   '04 marz. z1 drop off 2 forks, xt rapid fire shifters, avid levers, easton ea-70 bars, ea-70 stem, xt front and rear derailuers, sun single track rims with XT hubs, powerglide cassette, hope gothic rotrs, hayes hfx-9 brakes (6 inch) wtb laser v Ti. thompson seat post. race face evolve Dh 2 spd. bashguard. truvativ giga pipe Dh team

Submitted by Christopher pocock a Weekend Warrior from Tucson , AZ USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, durable, and great performance for climbing and the hayes disc provide excellent stopping power.

Weaknesses:    the bottom bracket could be stronger and the front fork is a bit mushy and the pedals are modified to accept cages.

Bottom Line:
this is an excellent bike that will take want ever you throw at it. the only problem i had was from shoddy maintiance at a LBS wich was dealt with as nrecessary. its a djustable fork allows for flexablity for riders of all calbers and sizes

Favorite Trail:   Fanatasy Island

Purchased At:   Sabino Cycle

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   03 Iguana disc with Team master and Team control Armadillo tires, Profile deisgn bull bars and lizard skin

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Arizona

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2004

Strengths:    Strong frame, good components for intermediate riding, disc brakes work great, and fork suits me just fine.

Weaknesses:    Broke the bottom bracket, it was cheap, and could use some new pedals.

Bottom Line:
Nice strong bike will take just about anything you throw at it, if you are too aggressive (like me) it still performs well, except the bottom bracket.

Purchased At:   Sun 'n Spokes