Gary Fisher Wahoo 2003 Hardtail

4.44/5 (34 Reviews)

Submitted by ACE28 a Weekend Warrior from Bethel, OH. USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2009

Strengths:    The stance of the frame and the rack of the front is far better then what I have tried before. Overall everything is good for being a lower end Gary Fisher...

Weaknesses:    The pedals are going to be the first thing I replace... The seat is starting look bad from wear and tear.

Bottom Line:
I'm new at riding, but I can already tell that my Gary Fisher Wahoo is a nice MTB that has earned respect from other riders. It makes no differance if I'm on a hard tech trail or a fast beginner trail this bike rocks. Keep in mind I don't go air bourne unless I wreck. I do hit small jumps but nothing to stress the Judy Rox Shock or the frame on this bike. I'm too old and overweight for the big stuff. For the $ 200 I spent it is a great deal. The 1st owner had more money than knowledge. He bought this bike to ride on paved trails.

Favorite Trail:   East Fork State Park

Purchased At:   used Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Bikes they call MT Bikes at the Marts... They are roads bikes with Knobby Tires. When you hit a dip you feel you are going to flip because of the rack of the front end is wrong and the handle bars are lower than a real MTB so your weight is too far forward. Mart Bikes are not MTB's...

Bike Setup:   All Stock...

Submitted by mtbkrchick a Racer from Cedar Park, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2009

Strengths:    This is an absolutely great bike for the money... I have recently (last year or so) gotten into mountain biking, and just decided to use my brother's Gary Fisher Wahoo. I used it in my first XTERRA triathlon and it held up under the WORST conditions. i mean mud globs and rocks in the front fork and rear. I never wrecked on it, and believe me I was pushing that bike as hard as it could go. When all was said and done, the GF Wahoo won me a regional championship with NO damage done whatsoever. Basically when the $1000+ bikes had broken deraileurs and forks, my lower end gary fisher with reflectors came out unscathed. competiitively. I was amazed. Now I am becoming a better, more serious rider and am just growing out of the bike. def great bike for the buck! And the crappy J1 hasn't bottomed out on me once, and I go off 3-4 ft drops fearlessly (This could be because I am 120 lbs.) I recommend this bike to anyone who is the beginner mtbkr looking for a good *good, bike for little cost.

Weaknesses:    the fork, but like I said it hasn't bottomed out on me. but I know you get what you pay for. V Brakes are getting a little sketchy and slipping, but I have been hammering this bike for the past year. Can't wait to get disc brakes. It's a little heavy too.

Bottom Line:
Bang for the buck, this bike will hang in there with the competition of much higher end and costly bikes. But I wouldnt stick with it if you're a serious rider looking to get better.

Favorite Trail:   muleshoe bend

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport Shop

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by paramedic927 a Weekend Warrior from souhtfield , mi

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2008

Strengths:    Great quality I have has this like for 5 years now and have nothing bad to say about it. I take it in every spring to get tuned up and its good to go.

Weaknesses:    The pedals that came with the bike were crap but I upgraded to clip in pedals anyways.

Bottom Line:
Its an amazing bike for the price.

Favorite Trail:   island lake st park

Purchased At:   D&D bikes

Similar Products Used:   None this was my first Mt bike

Submitted by eliude a Weekend Warrior from dallas, tx, usa

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2008

Strengths:    This is a well-built frame. Able to withstand severe conditions

Weaknesses:    components are entry-level. Ok for the price.

Bottom Line:
This is my second hard-tail and so far, I am enjoying every minute of it. The design is top-notch and I can ride long and hard.

Favorite Trail:   Boulder

Purchased At:   used, craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300

Bike Setup:   Upgraded tires to panaracer, new wheels. clipless pedals. everything else is stock

Submitted by Russell a Cross Country Rider from Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2008

Strengths:    light frame, cool paint scheme (silver/black), decent higher-end entry level components, a very reliable bike with an affordable price tag.

Weaknesses:    The stock Bontranger seat takes some getting used to, plastic pedals and the rear derailer.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike new about a month ago. The bike was sold to me at a discounted rate because it was a 2007 model. I have ridden the bike faithfully on an almost daily basis and absolutely love it! I have not encountered any major issues other than a flat tire due to a thorn in the tube. (Still an easy fix.)

A few things that I would like to mention however, are the above stated "Product Weaknesses". I really do not mind the stock Bontranger seat, because I only do mountain trails and see no reason to sit. However, if you purchase this bike and plan to spend the majority of your time sitting down, I would recommend a better padded seat.

Ocasionally, your feet will slip off of the plastic pedals, and that will get irritating. Plus, many people have complained that they break after a while. Mine have not yet done so, and I have no intention on replacing them until they do.

The rear derailer bothers me most. It's a little tempermental, and can leave you in a bind if you're trying to make a rapid shift to go up or downhill. Even so, I must admit that I have never had the chain pop off as a result of a gear-shifting mishap.

I love the bottom of the barrel Rock Shox front suspension. It has never bottomed out and offers plenty of support. As I previously mentioned, I ride this bike primarily on rugged trails. The bike has only briefly seen pavement twice. It holds up extremely well even in the most unforgiving circumstances.

I would recommend the Gary Fisher Wahoo to anyone. If you are a novice like me, and would like an affordable and reliabe bike that you can just romp around on stock, without having to make any immediate changes to; than this bike is for you. As your skills improve, you can always upgrade the bike to suit your needs. In my opinion, it was money very well spent.

Purchased At:   Parkside Cycle

Bike Setup:   2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo (Stock)

Submitted by Bryan a Cross Country Rider from Collierville, TN

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2008

Strengths:    Great frame at the price, this is the same stock fram that you will find up to their Tassajara line. Parts are so so that come with the wahoo but I have a full XT drive train to up on it, along with a stylo crank... Genesis geomtry, either you love it or you don't, personally I love it.

Weaknesses:    stock components are pretty poor,but that gold series frame is well worth it for the upgrade possibilities

Bottom Line:
Great value, ride the sucker until you break or wear out a part then upgrade.... I upgraded mine immeditely with nice stuff but there is nothing wrong with Deore on your bike. Frame is well worth it all.....

Purchased At:   Bike World

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock, rockhopper, stumpjumper. Gary Fisher Marlin, Tassajara, Hookoo, big sur

Bike Setup:   Stock Gold series Purple Wahoo frame, with J1 fork. Shimano XT rear derailleur, XT Front Derailleur, XT shifters, Avid single digit 7 TI brake set, Avid Single Digit TI Brake levers, Thomson Stem, Specialized Carbon Seatpost, Terry Fly Ti Saddle, Answer Pro Taper Bars, Truvativ Stylo Out Board bearing crank, Shimano m646 pedals

Submitted by Eric Olsen a Cross Country Rider from Cambridge, Vermont

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2007

Strengths:    very nice, tires, frame, extremely light, great shifting, relyable drivetrain, good brakes, strong name, nice paint job.

Weaknesses:    front fork preloader adjuster, broke it off, suspension.

Bottom Line:
this is an overall excellent bike, i have owned mine for 6 years i have had to replace, about 200 dollars worth of parts, but due to neglect in lubercation on my part, new crank, chain and rear gallery. but except for breaking off the preloader adjuster on the front fork this bike has served me well and is a great trail bike/urban bike.

Favorite Trail:   yourassic park

Purchased At:   Ski Rack bike and outdoors shop

Similar Products Used:   diamondback

Bike Setup:   basicly stock except for specialized hardrocker rear tire, aftermarket break pads, brand new shimano crank, chain, rear gallery and rear hub.

Submitted by jay a Cross Country Rider from san diego CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2007

Strengths:    price, simplicity, clean design

Weaknesses:    pedals, weak seat post

Bottom Line:
Landed a deal, 2005 model, $60.00 for a mint bike. Spent 45 minutes fine tuning the derailers, brakes and had to true the front tire. Actually gave the bike to my daughter who has now put about 300 miles on it. So far the bike holds up well, has good balance and is lightweight. I actually bought the bike to strip the components and wheels but it was so clean, I couldn't do it.

Purchased At:   Salvation Army

Submitted by Reece a Weekend Warrior from Tampa

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2006

Strengths:    price, frame, decent components

Weaknesses:    pedals...pedals....pedals

Bottom Line:
This is an incredible buy for what you are paying. Thisbike has proved to be nothing but fun. It rides great. I use this bike for commuting and hitting the trials on the weekend. It excels in both. The only downside is the stock pedals, they are garbage. The first thing i did was upgrade them. Other than that, i recommend this bike to anyone who likes hitting the trails hard on the weekend and having a reliable bike for the week.

Purchased At:   Oliver's

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300, Specialized Hardrock pro, and have demo'ed countless others

Bike Setup:   shimano clipless pedals, and everything else stock

Purchased At:   Oliver's

Bike Setup:   shimano clipless pedals, and everything else stock

Submitted by Regis a Weekend Warrior from PIttsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2006

Strengths:    cheap, good looks, comfortable, decent parts

Weaknesses:    some cheapo parts, a lot of stuff made in China

Bottom Line:
pretty good for aggressic XC riding. Overall pretty decent parts considering the price.

My only big gripe:
I broke the crappy plastic preload adjust knob off the Rock Shox. The J1 isn't particularly great, but it's about as good as you'll get at the price point for this bike. If you break it or get tired of it, replace it.

Purchased At:   Dirty Harry's

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kula

Bike Setup:   GF Wahoo; Marzocchi All Mountain 1 fork; zoom bars; rest is still stock

Submitted by kyle Foreman a Weekend Warrior from Turlock CA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Strengths:    very light

Weaknesses:    peadals suck

Bottom Line:
great bike for the price it,s really not good for dirt jumping but thats all i use it for i really dont know how durable it is because im only 85 pounds and five feet tall but so far the only thing i have broken are the pedals good bike

Favorite Trail:   pleasonton bmx track

Purchased At:   cycle masters

Similar Products Used:   Giant

Bike Setup:   stock shimon pedals

Submitted by p a Cross Country Rider from santiago chile

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2006

Strengths:    pretty light for the $, decent components for intermediate, nice paint job and nice tires and hubs, good brakes

Weaknesses:    pedals, suspension

Bottom Line:
very good dependable bike, nice paint job, suspension is pretty poor as I bottom it out very easily and i weight 180 lbs, 6´1 ft. pedals are the only thing you must change.

Purchased At:   santiago, chile

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher advance

Bike Setup:   shimano pedals 520, barends, streettires

Submitted by Jose a Weekend Warrior from Center Valley, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2006

Strengths:    Good Strong Hardware

Weaknesses:    None (maybe the pedals, after 1500 miles they are ready to be replaced)

Bottom Line:
I am over 6 ft tall and 200 lbs. I bought the Large frame size. I took this bike along the C&O Canal (180 miles) in 2003(before which I had a few 30 and 50 mi practice hikes). We started near Cumberland Md. and ended the bike hike in Washington DC. We rode off road and along bike paths, and the Wahoo does both quite well.
This bike held up very well in which 3 of the 5 days we rode in mud and rain. With over 1500 miles on it since I bought it, it still rides like new. We are planning on doing the Canal again this year 2006, and guess which bike I will be taking? Gary Fisher Wahoo of course!!!

Favorite Trail:   C&O Canal