Gary Fisher Tassajara 2003 Hardtail

4.6/5 (113 Reviews)

Submitted by woc a Weekend Warrior from north carolina

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2008

Strengths:    One of the smoothest bikes I've ever ridden. Extremely responsive shifting, huge range of gears.

Bottom Line:
I bought this '03 Tassajara last year for a 3 mile commute to work. I was looking for a decent entry-level mtb that would serve the dual purpose of possibly joining my mountain biking enthusiast roommate on the trails. I fell in love with how comfortable it was the instant I tried it.

Turns out something must be right with this bike, because I've since gotten completely hooked to mountain biking. Which is a pretty remarkable achievement considering I wasn't much of a cyclist before this. I don't think the previous owner changed any of the original components with the exception of the tires, which I had to replace anyway, and he sure did a wonderful job of maintaining the bike. It's since picked up a good number of dings and scratches, but it's holding up well to the abuse. I took it up to Pisgah last weekend and it worked really great on the slopes. I'm now thinking about upgrading to clipless pedals, but otherwise that's the only thing I would change.

In a nutshell, I totally love my bike. Of course, there will be other more expensive and better bikes for people with bigger budgets, but for the average rider, this bike is a pretty sweet deal!

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Dan Blanchette a Downhiller from tamworth, nh

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    awesome bike for trails. brakes wirk on a dime. tires dont bend that easly

Weaknesses:    the seat sucks. hurts to ride for a while

Bottom Line:
the bike is good i would recommand it to any one with a need to be hard ona bike and loves trails

Favorite Trail:   cranmore

Purchased At:   Bob and Terys

Bike Setup:   all shimano gears . awesome brakes and gears

Submitted by Michael Brown from San Antonio TX

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2006

Strengths:    -Strong frame
-Light

Weaknesses:    -Loose brakes
-Don't care too much for the grips

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike because I had shattered my knee cap in 2005 and was told I was never going to run again. This was the best for the amount of cash I had and I couldn't of been happier with it. 8 months after purchasing this bike I was back at 100% with an new addiction to mountain biking. Awesome bike.

Purchased At:   Some Trek shop in San Anton

Similar Products Used:   -GT

Bike Setup:   Nothing special
-bar-ends
-Upgraded to disk-brakes

Strengths:    very fast bike, love the geometry

Weaknesses:    the paint, i could do better, bought it because of the looks party,but the quality of the paint is rubbish, within 10miles, the cables had rubbed the paint down to bare metal, this is unacceptable

Bottom Line:
Fisher, learn to paint, or just sell your bikes to dry regions, definitely NOT overseas

Similar Products Used:   GT ,far better quality,

Submitted by joe a Cross Country Rider from Ashford, CT, U.S.

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2005

Strengths:    very good quality for the money. very excellent climber

Bottom Line:
awesome

Favorite Trail:   dunno

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop (manchester, CT)

Submitted by pat harrington a Cross Country Rider from aurora, co

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2004

Strengths:    awesome frame, geometry, climbs well, very good components for the price.

Weaknesses:    seat sucks, brakes suck, fork is just OK

Bottom Line:
have had mine for almost 2 years now and love it. No better deal for a bike than this to get started. Deore all around. Awesome frame. I got sized too big, a 19 instead of 17 but I have adjusted to it being a little large for me. Only negatives are the promax brakes and the seat. The newer models have better forks but the pilot xc was decent. I would reccomend this. Buy the bike and upgrade parts when you get the chance. For the difference in the price on the disk tass you can get levers, rims and avids and do much better. Climbs and decends well!!!!! Get this bike or any good fisher hartail before goig to a FS rig. You become a much better biker!!!!

Favorite Trail:   mary's loop (GJ, CO)

Purchased At:   littleton cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Kona, Trek 4900, rockhopper

Bike Setup:   bontragor seat, crank brother candy c pedals, working on changing bike to avid mech disk brakes. Marzocchi mx comp W/ eta fork

Submitted by ben a Cross Country Rider from christchurch, new zealand

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2004

Strengths:    wicked strong frame
Good realible gears
good all round components for the price range

Weaknesses:    had problems with the shocks bottoming out
Hubs not disc ready

Bottom Line:
fantastic all round bike for intermediate riders
I'v given it death over the last year and it hasn't faulted at all.
I would absolutely buy another gary fisher in a heartbeat, if I manage to wear this one out!

Purchased At:   smiths sports

Similar Products Used:   similar priced scott & kona models

Bike Setup:   Shimino cable disc on front
Rock shox duke

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Campbell, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2004

Strengths:    -Geometry feels great
-Shifters are smooth and responsive
-Derailers do exactly as I ask them to
-Grips are grippy and not sticky
-Front fork is best in this bike's price range
-Pedals are very grippy and my feet don't slide

Weaknesses:    -Stock tires gave me chronic pinch-flats
-Seat is uncomfortable
-Brake levers have a lot of play, very loose
-Brakes don't stop as well as I'd like them to
-The engine needs a little work.

Bottom Line:
I came into this looking for a bike for $500 that would make me happy. Very soon I realized that I would have to stretch to $600 to get what I was looking for. My background at the time was 10 or so rides borrowing my roomate's $2k+ bike, and I really wanted to get something that was quality.

To me, the important parts of a bike are the ones that I interact with such as the shifters/derailers and the front fork. The entire drivetrain is Simano Deore which makes me very happy, and is rare to find on a bike of this price. The front fork has a positive air input which is also rare on a bike in this price range.

After using the bike for over a year now, I am fully satisfied with my purchase and it's great to see that over 90 other people on this website are happy with their bikes too. I love to play around in my street with bunny-hops and little tricks like that, and I also enjoy flying up into the hills. I can leave from my front door and gain 1,000 feet of elevation to reach a commaning view of the silicon valley in about an hour and half. What an amazing feeling.

If you're considering this bike, then go take it for a test ride and have some fun. I did :)

~Justin

Favorite Trail:   Mr. Toad's in Lake Tahoe

Purchased At:   Stan's Bicycle Store

Similar Products Used:   -Highly modified GT in the $2k+ range.
-Slightly modified GT in the $300 range.

Bike Setup:   Stock with computer and WTB tires. Clipless pedals soon.

Submitted by Dave NYDB a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO, US of MF A

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2004

Strengths:    This is an excellent entry level package for ANYBODY looking to get into mountain biking. Spending $1000 on a rig is friggin stupid if you don't already know you are going to enjoy your new investment. I think the TASS has a fat-ass components package for the price, (All deore parts, ok fork, unbeatable frame, very strong wheels) Frame is super tight, seems indestructable... I went over the bars going +20mph the other week, and my rig landed about 30-40 feet down the trail. Road rash, dislocated shoulder, and a completely split helmet for me, but the frame was FINE. (Took it in to Fisher dealer to verify this)... It landed about 30 feet in front of where i did... I just keep upgrading parts instead of wanting a new frame, or bothering to go to a Pogo stick... Bontrager parts are ok, but i did wear thru the threads on the stock Bont. seatpost. See below for my thoughts on that...

Weaknesses:    Chain Suck. Seems like all Fisher owners complain about this??? I definately agree, SUCKAGE happens, not that bad, tho. Plus, it's usu. more the riders fault. Also, stock brakes are kind of junk. Stock Manitou fork wore out pretty quick, but hey, i weigh about 2 bills, so that didn't bother me. Oh yeah, the friggin seat post is a pain in the ass!!! 29.2 width, so the only replacement brand you can use (Pretty much) is Bontrager... The threads wore out on mine, and i was pissed off when i found out that i couldn't upgrade my busted seatpost, because there's no fkin manufacturers who make posts that size except Bontrager! (Don't tell me to use a shim, that sht is gay)

Bottom Line:
I ride aggressive trails, no city riding at all, and i feel totally comfortable on this bike, no desire to move to F/S rig at all... This bike ate up the Porcupine Rim, with no trouble at all. i.e. this frame is NOT the lightest, but the sht is strong!!! I'd take a few more ounces for safety any day. I love this bike, and have said 100 times, the only reason i'll get a new frame is if this one snaps. I have tried EVERYTHING possible to make that happen, and it has performed top notch. I just keep upgrading things. Disc brakes next, maybe, but you can buy the TASS with a set anyway, that would be one thing i'd recommend.

Favorite Trail:   Dakota Ridge

Purchased At:   Mojo Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana, Trek 4000, Specialized SOFT Rock, Specialized Rockhopper.

Bike Setup:   Avid Arch Rival Brakes/SD 7 levers, XTR Hubs laced to Velocity Aeroheat Rims, XT front/Rear der., Rock Shox Psylo SL fork (Only go to 100mm for this frame, tho...) Eggbeaters, Selle Italia Flite Gel saddle, Stock cranks, Titec Big al Stem, and shorty bar ends.

2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Specs?

I just bought a used 2006 13" Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc frame to build up for my son. Can someone please tell me what size front derailleur I need to get? Also, I think it needs a traditional 1-1/8" headset, but since I'm trying to keep the lowest stack height possible I didn't know if there were ... Read More »

Looking to upgrade to full suspension from 02 Tassajara

I bought my Tassajara new in I think 02. I rode at the time trails in the midwest. I now live in AZ and ride mountain trails and am considering a full suspension bike. I would prefer to just buy used and keep my budget around $1000. I am somewhat new to looking for a quality mountain bike and ne ... Read More »

Laying the Tassajara to rest and picking up a "No Way" Rey GT

Hello all, I had a difficult time determining which subforum to post in and eventually ended up here. It's been a mighty long time since I posted, so here it goes.. My Tassajara finally bit the dust after 9 years of riding with lots of component upgrades, tubes, lubes & tires. I logged 3,000+ ... Read More »

Rough 1997 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Thanks for reading my post! I picked up a rough looking 1997 Tassajara with the intention of cleaning it up and turning it into a single speed for cruising around town and the occasional easy trail. I like the steel frame and the rigid forks and I like that it is Gary Fisher brand. I would like to ... Read More »

Tassajara Derailleurs

Recently purchased a 2007 GF Tassajara Disc 17.5. The prev owner swapped out the cranks with XTR. I am trying to determine if the derailleurs were also swapped out: - Front = SRAM X7 - Rear = Shimano SLX I am thinking it came with Deore LX derailleurs. Can anybody confirm? If upgrades, ... Read More »