Gary Fisher Tarpon 2003 Hardtail

3.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by Zach a Cross Country Rider from New Orleans, LA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Strengths:    somewhat lightweight, strong frame, relatively low price for what you get

Weaknesses:    non-adjustable front suspension,

Bottom Line:
Great for the money, good quality, lasts long, but wish it had adjustable suspension

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Central New York

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2005

Strengths:    Strong frame, good components, looks like it costs more than it does..

Weaknesses:    Front end gets a little out of control when hitting rough road at any speed over a stroll. Seat is murder, replace or get riding shorts with pads.

Bottom Line:
If your not sure you want to get into mountain biking and want to get a good ice breaker this is it. Quality enough that you can get some serious use out of it but cheap enough that if you change your mind your not in it too deep. I am taking this thing up to the White Mountains in New Hampshire at the end of the month to give it a go. If it breaks oh well, I'll just be happy if I don't break!!!

Favorite Trail:   Franconia ST Park NH

Purchased At:   Schuss

Similar Products Used:   Haven't rode in sometime...last thing I had was a mongoose bmx back in the late 80's...

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Cool Guy a Weekend Warrior from Northern Jersey

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2005

Strengths:    good beginner bike.

Weaknesses:    rear derailleur sucks. Middle gears keep slipping. Gears are tempermental when changed on inclines

Bottom Line:
ehh, it's affordable.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by genius from Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2005

Strengths:    Great bike for beginner.

Weaknesses:    The pedals and seat really stink. I hit a limb or something and it ripped the deraillur right off. Bending the hanger as well.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. Great for beginners and works good as a commuter too. It seemed the deraillur ripped off rather easily. This has never happened to me before and this was just a fluke. But becasue of that I wouldn't go on anything very rough. You'll want to replace the pedals and seat for sure.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by roger barrios a Cross Country Rider from orlando, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2004

Strengths:    Strong Frame that can take a beating. Stock Bontrager tires are decent all around tires. Good stopping power out of a V-Brake. Not a bad commuter or collge bike and even a light trail bike.

Weaknesses:    Rear Derailleur (shimano Altus) slips and broke 4th time riding, definatly not made for a hard rider. Stock Saddle. Front shocks arent adjustable. Plastic composite pedals.

Bottom Line:
Great commute bike that can take daily riding but no hard off-roading. If you fix it up alittle it will take alot more than the stock setup.

Favorite Trail:   hidden river

Purchased At:   David's World Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Wahoo, Trek VRX 400, specialized stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Serfas saddle, Shimano Deore XT rear Derailleur. Shimano M515 pedals. Hutchinson Pythons Tires.

Submitted by RL Policar a Weekend Warrior from Fullerton Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2003

Strengths:    Great Price for entry level bike. Great Shocks, even though they are not adjustable. I love this bike, its cheap in price, strong fram great components and can be upgraded.

Weaknesses:    Gear ratio is doesn't work that well for long hills. The gears are perfect for cross country or even road travelling. But when you try top climb a long steep hill you will have a tough time.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike! I love this bike, its the best investment I have ever bought. I am losing weight because of my riding and it's helping me build some new friends that I meet on the trails.
This bike is solid, the frame can take on any jump and any trail.

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   Fullerton Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose...my old bike.

Bike Setup:   I put in Shimano M515 clipless pedals, and the Shimano MegaRange 34T cassette to compensate for the bad gear ratio.

Submitted by MCC a Cross Country Rider from Boonies of New York

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a nice solid bike. I feel very comfortable on it and i feel like i can do any trail with it. The stock tires (bontrager connection) are pretty good, but i want tires i can use on the road and on the trails so im getting semi slicks. These tires will slow you down on the road.

Purchased At:   Schuss

Bike Setup:   Stock Gary Fisher Tarpon with Ritchey Speedmax Cross comp tires soon to come.

Submitted by M Z a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    Decent components, solid frame, slightly lower gearing than most mtb's.

Weaknesses:    It is an entry level bike not meant for downhills or difficult trails.

Bottom Line:
I got this for my daily commute in Madhattan. It's a good, cheap MTB that will get the job done. If it gets stolen, I won't lose my mind. Definitely check it out if you want something to tool around town in and do light trails.
For heavier use, spend more money and get a lighter frame, better components and better suspension.
For the city/trails it's perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Tivoli Bays, NY