Gary Fisher Paragon 29 2003 Hardtail

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by Edward78 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2013

Strengths:    Great bike it fits me well. Has good stock components and the Marzocchi Shock with ETA is great feels bottomless and when you lock the travel it really helps when you are climbing hills.

Weaknesses:    Did not like the breaks or seat but that not really a weakness just a preference

Bottom Line:
I bought this Bike used 2 years ago but it was in almost in new condition changed Fork oil cleaned it up and installed some Hyd. Brakes and then road the hell out of it. I love the bike rides and handles nice goes over everything and doesn't feel like its to tall or big. I still have my 26" Giant but really only use it for a back up and a extra bike for friends

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco State Park Ridge Trail

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Overdrive 29er, Giant Talon 29er

Bike Setup:   Mostly Stock except Better tires and Wheel Set Avid Seven Hyd Breaks.

Submitted by Tyler a Racer from Bangor, Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2005

Strengths:    Made in the USA, Disc ready, 29 inch wheels

Weaknesses:    Slow in singletrack and climbing, but on downhills it smokes and straight singletrack it will keep up with anybike. Heavier then 26 inch wheels. Slower to get up to speed.

Bottom Line:
Good trail bike. Very forgiving of mistakes. Unique ride, not for everyone. Raced it many times and wasn't as tired as if I had rode a 26 inch wheel bike.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Purchased At:   Ski- Rack Sports

Similar Products Used:   Gunnar Rockhound, Trek 6500, Seven Verve, Trek Fuel, Gary Fisher Sugar

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Avid Mechanicals or Hayes HF-X 9s depends on the day. Stan's NoTubes

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from State College, PA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2004

Strengths:    This thing rolls over ANYTHING! Fast on descents and rollers. Small obstacles don't have a chance. The Marzocchi fork is super smooth (80 mm). Saves my life at least once each ride. Very forgiving! On the fly dampening/lockout is key. Lower center of gravity makes this taller rider very happy. 29er! Stiff. Smaller frame, great geometry with the help of the 29" wheels. Fisher is right on with their claims.

Weaknesses:    Stock stem was too short by just couple centimeters. Easy fix at the shop.

Bottom Line:
A whole lotta bike for the money! Ideal XC rig. UCI legal! Strange the first time on it, but it is so smooth and fast, it feels great. If you're over 6 feet tall, definitely look into a 29er. One fast and smooth machine. Sweet. A world of difference! Not for a smaller rider. Just wouldn't make sense. Read complaints about the tires, but I've been on rocks and roots exclusively with not a problem.

Favorite Trail:   Shingletown Gap

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, GT, Specialized

Bike Setup:   LX/XT, Avid Brakes, IRC Tires, stock stuff for now.

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Acworth, Ga

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Strengths:    Rolls easy, Seems to climb better on smooth surfaces that are not too steep, took the down hill hits better than my 26" Paragon. Very comfortable bike for a person of my height (6'4").

Weaknesses:    did not handle well in slow technical climbs, poor acceleration, seemed a little difficult to controll in very tight and fast single track.

Bottom Line:
Rented this bike in Crested Butte, Colorado for a one day 20+ mile ride. I felt that over all, it was a great ride for that type of trail. It rocked on the big forrest rd climbs. Seemed to absorb the downhill hits slightly better than my 26" Parargon. For a 6'4" rider, the geomerty + 29 inch wheels felt great. The only thing that I really did not like about it was trying to remount on a hill and keeping your balance on the slow technical climbs. These things I may have adjusted to in time. I would very much consider owning this bike if I lived in the wide open spaces of the west but I dont think it would fair too well in the tight, rooty and technical single track of the south east. Great idea though!

Favorite Trail:   many

Similar Products Used:   this is the only 29er ive ridden

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Jens a Cross Country Rider from Stryn, Norway

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2003

Strengths:    Speed on straight road. Bigger wheels = smaller obst.

Weaknesses:    Heavy wheels = more whight on moving objects = less accleration and more watts is necceseary to maintain speed.

Bottom Line:
It dosnt make sense. 29' is 11% more than 26'. This must mean 11% more weight on the wheels = more weight uphill = not funny or fast. Even though the wheels are more easy-rolling.
Konklusion. Keep your 26' MTH and keep your weight down.

Favorite Trail:   All of Norway

Similar Products Used:   Subercaliber, Mt. Tam.

Bike Setup:   Standard

Submitted by Brandon Anderson a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln, NE, USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Strengths:    Love the 29 inch wheels, fast, smooth, and rolls over anything in its path. Genesis Geometry, good parts spec for the green. Love the Marzocchi fork, especially the ETA.

Weaknesses:    None to speak of, any little nit picks can be addressed by the owner.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a mountain bike that is just a little different, like to go faster and feel more secure while doing it then this is the bike for you. Everything just feels right. Also if you are 6 feet tall or over then you will appreciate this bike even more. Just an awesome bike. Thank you Gary Fisher!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Lincoln Bike Company

Similar Products Used:   Big Sur, Tassajara(previous bike, upgraded heavily), Supercal, X-Cal, lots of other brands.

Bike Setup:   Carbon Fiber handlebars, 8" front hayes hydro, 6" rear, Time ATAC Carbon pedals, Vetta RT-88 Wireless

Submitted by Brandon Anderson a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln, NE, USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2003

Strengths:    Great parts spec for the money, marzocchi fork, disc ready

Weaknesses:    brakes, but I dont like rim brakes at all

Bottom Line:
just bought the bike, but already love it. Its smooth, fast, and rolls over anything in its path. It has a great parts spec for the money. Will be upgrading to hayes hydros, and time atac pedals very soon. I will post another review in a little while

Favorite Trail:   any