Gary Fisher Mt. Tam 29 2003 Hardtail

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by PDK a Racer from Orrville, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2004

Strengths:    Big wheels and frame geometry allow you to roll up, down and over obstacles easily. Very forgiving ride for a sloppy rider. Larger footprint gets you thru the mud, snow and ruts a lot easier than standard wheels. Good components.

Weaknesses:    Does take some getting used to if you're used to standard size bike. Bontrager Race wheels don't hold up well to abuse (rim paint peels/bubbles/chips, hub bearings/freehub wear easily). Get used to having to special order tires through your LBS.

Bottom Line:
You can have my 29er when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers! It's not for everyone, but anyone looking for a fast, comfortable and forgiving ride should demo one. Those of you who do endurance races (12/24 hour races) ought to to take note, but it also works well for me for regular XC racing. Try one out before you say anything nasty about it; you might be surprised! I know it's made me a better rider.

Favorite Trail:   Vultures Knob

Similar Products Used:   2003 Fisher Supercaliber 29 (demo), '97 Trek 930, early-'90s GT Outpost.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for 2004 XT crank, EC70 seatpost, Koobi seat, Bontrager Race Light wheels, Stan's Notubes, IRC Notos (front)/IRC Mythos (rear), Avid mechanical disc brakes.

Submitted by Casey a Cross Country Rider from Overland Park, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2004

Strengths:    29" Wheels!!!

Weaknesses:    limited selection of aftermarket wheels and tires. My leg sometimes hits the rear break noodle when descending... the bike is disk ready so I can remedy that problem when I choose.

Bottom Line:
While [getting tired of] waiting for my second sugar frame replacement a friend of mine told me about the current buzz surrounding 29" wheels. I thought I'd give it a try and tested a 292 full suspension...oh man it was sweet!! If the test model hadn't been too large (XL) I would have taken it home without thinking. Fortunately I stewed on this for a couple weeks and decided a hardtail would be the better option for the type of riding/racing that I do.

Ok I love this bike and I'm definitely sold on the 29" wheels. I agree that this is a great option for bigger riders (I'm 6'1" 205lbs). The big wheels have given me greater balance and they really do improve my climbing. Switching from a full suspension to a hardtail felt strange for the first month but now I'm finding that I have little desire to ride my full. This bike is lighter and faster and the big wheels suck up a lot of the bumps so for my riding style it's just as comfortable. I'm also glad to now have a normal shape frame for the inevitable "hike-a-bike" section that ends up in most of the Adventure Races that I do. That and I don't have to worry about the race support crew racking my bike on the rear shock :(

BTW...IMO a 29er is THE best bike option for Adventure Racing. The big wheels are perfect for the long dirt roads...your teammates will have to work a lot harder on their 26er to stay up...or in other words...you don't have to work as hard on those long rides :)

I'm very satisfied with this bike and glad that I made the change to a 29er. From the looks of the races last year 29's are here to stay.

Favorite Trail:   Landahl Park, Blue Springs MO

Purchased At:   Leawood Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   2001 Sugar 3 ...now with a 2003 frame since I broke it...again

Bike Setup:   Stock plus bar ends and Time peddals

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from St. Paul, MN USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Strengths:    Geometry of the frame, size, weight, components

Bottom Line:
Being 6'4" and about 220lbs I have finally found a bike that fits me! I love the speed of the 29" wheels and climbing is great. I was concerned about technical stuff but so far it handles everything great, I'm the only limiting factor. I plan on adding a set of cross wheels/tires for road/commuting. If you're big and want a bike to fit, check out any of the Gary Fisher 29" hardtails. When shopping for a dealer, go to one that stocks a number of the 29ers and make sure the shop folk are actually riding them too. Some shops think it's a passing fad. The only passing will be the 29ers going past them on the trails!

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills, River Bottoms

Purchased At:   LBS - choose yours carefully

Similar Products Used:   First 29er I've had. Old 26" Raleigh M80.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Avid Mech brakes, Cane Creek Ergo bar-ends

Submitted by Quigs a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Strengths:    This thing climbs like a billy goat. I absolutely love this thing. I took it out to the Tillamook Burn yesterday and the conditions were a mix of everything. Mud, rocks, water, wet roots,frosted trail hairpin turns, downhills and
technical climbing. This thing performed like a cadillac suv! Want to improve your skills? Get a hold of this bike. These wheels just roll over everything and helps immenseley in climbing.

Weaknesses:    The only thing I didn't care for was the short length of the handlebars in relation to the placement of the index shifters. Pedalling that standard set up, my fingers inadvertenly hit the shifters, shifting when I didn't intend to. The addition of bar ends will rectify that problem!

Bottom Line:
Being the first ride of the early season - ok it's still winter in the Northwest - this thing absolutely cranks!! The ride was so smooth and tight, I didn't even realize I was on the bike. I loved this thing. The geometry of the frame, the 29 inch tires and the components on this thing set the stage. This is a great bike.

Purchased At:   Bike Gallery

Similar Products Used:   My last bike was a Rocky Mtn. Oxygen racer and I would offer that up for trade in second compared to the 29er.

Bike Setup:   Standard equipment from the showroom floor.

Submitted by Doug Van Deusen from Jax, Fl.

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Strengths:    This thing goes through sand very nicely, over roots like a fully suspended bike, it's fast, and climbs like a bear, this cycle has put me in the lead.

Weaknesses:    Cheezy cap screws rusted by the second week.

Bottom Line:
If you would like to improve your position in the pack, get a Tam 29! Nothing else like it.

Bike Setup:   Stock, possible disk brakes but stops fine as is!

Submitted by Conrad a Racer from Geneva, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2002

Strengths:    Very quick and stable at high speeds. Extremely light weight setup. High quality componentry.

Weaknesses:    No complaints with the quality of the bike... The big wheels do make it a little difficult to go around tight corners, but the speed benefits agained back on straights or open corners make up for it.

Bottom Line:
This is a beautiful bike.
I have ridden many 26" inch hardtails in the past, and for me, the addition of the larger wheels has made a huge difference. Many people gripe about the larger wheels on the Gary Fisher 29ers making them slower to climb, accelerate or turn, but I have found these claims to unfounded. This bike is lightning quick on all but the tightest switchbacks, and even then proper riding technique will not seriously hamper overall speed.
I bought this bike too late to enter in the last of the fall races, but I cannot wait to test it out on the race track in the spring/ summer.
Buy it! Those five flamin' chilis are there for a reason.

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   stock.. Bontrager Race Wheelset, crank etc. XT shifters and brakes, XTR rear derailleur. Avid 5 V brakes

GG Bridge to Mt. Tam 4/29

[B]Golden Gate Bridge to Mt. Tam Ride, Saturday, 9am. [/B]Meet at the north parking lot of the golden gate bridge. Mostly fireroad grunts and descents with great views! Great ride! Weather is forecasted for upper 70s to low 80s. Anyone up for a ride? Route is Cozelman - Bobcat - Marincello/Springs ... Read More »

Mt Tam 29 on Porcupine Rim

What is there to say? Archetypal Mountain Bike Kodak Moment. Just love how this thing cruises. Thanks to all that have made the 29 possible! Cheers, cRead More »

GF292 or Mt. Tam 29

I'm debating which bike to keep and which to sell... My 292 is a much heavier and longer bike, while its a plush ride, it can be a push to ride sometimes. The Mt. Tam is much lighter and more nimble, due to the shorter wheelbase (and chainstay). I think it has a much better steering head angle f ... Read More »