Gary Fisher Big Sur 2003 Hardtail

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Dave Kolby

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, responsive, GREAT components for price, great looks, great geometry, light weight, can't say enough.

Weaknesses:    Only weakness is they are not easy to come by which is not a weakness for anyone besides those looking to by one. If you see one BUY IT! The frame ALONE is worth $400.00 or more in todays market.

Bottom Line:
Fast, responsive, great features. Strong, light. If you can find one for $600.00 or less snag it! It's "old school" sort of, but built better than many of the 2009 and 2010's that are out there today.

Submitted by Lozza a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2006

Strengths:    Light frame. Great looks. Good geometry. Very fast and great on single track. Simple clean lines.

Weaknesses:    Rear disc mount is old hayes type.

Bottom Line:
Use this bike both to commute and single track with the Pace RC31 carbon rigid forks. Very light build and looks the dogs.
Very fast on the road now, and XC as well. Had to re-learn how to ride off road again as the rigid forks are not forgiving of my deficiencies. Loads more fun riding technical single track on rigid. Is improving my skill level no end.
Just love this bike and the colour, cheap purchase for frame only from ebay.
If genesis geometry is for you, this is a cracking frame / bike.

Similar Products Used:   GF Marlin. Giant XTC. Spesh Rockhopper.

Bike Setup:   19" frame. SRAM X9 throughout. Hone crankset. Pace carbon rigid forks. Avid mech disc brakes. Mavic X317's on XT hubs.

Submitted by Clay Hood a Racer from Elk Grove CA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2004

Strengths:    Very light Good on most technical parts This bike is awesome. Intermidiate riders will love this bike.

Weaknesses:    Have not discovered any yet

Bottom Line:
Wonderful bike just rub the lube of the seatpost and hit the trails!

Favorite Trail:   grizzly

Purchased At:   from friend

Similar Products Used:   trek 8000

Bike Setup:   Easton monkey lite mid rise bars and thompson seat post all xt parts

Submitted by Erik Schoenbeck a Weekend Warrior from Apple Valley, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, genesis geometry, overall look, shimano components.

Weaknesses:    The seat is very stiff and uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
I think this is a very good bike. The main reason I chose it over the Trek 8000 is the geometry and the color scheme. The bike shifts very well in tough situations. I have bottomed out a few times on very rough trails, but little or no damage to the bike. The adjustable fork works well, but I am still trying to find the right setting for what fits my riding style. Overall, a good, lightweight bike, which is the reason I chose it over a full suspension.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills,

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000, Giant NRS 3.

Bike Setup:   Titec bar ends, Cateye computer, specialized shoes

Submitted by Jacob Probus a Cross Country Rider from Alabama

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Strengths:    Great lightweight frame, good components, great bontrager wheels, awesome tires, great fork, did i mention lightweight.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
great bike for the money. i have a buddy with a klein attitude comp. it was like 1300 dollars and virtually all are components are the same and weight is very similar. i have a 21 inch frame and his is 17.5 and weight is still very similar. ride bikes. have fun.

Favorite Trail:   JFK

Purchased At:   Cahaba Cycles

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Ben Skidmore a Cross Country Rider from Pasadena

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent hard tail for the money. Good components. Real nice ride.

Weaknesses:    Rock Shox Duke XC with U-turn has issues. The travel is supposed to be 63-108, but it is more like 70-85.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for an intermediate rider.

Purchased At:   Gary Fisher

Submitted by Adam Maziarz a Cross Country Rider from cumberland

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Strengths:    Great Hardtail,good set of stock components. nice forks, drivetrain, ect. Also VERY light!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    none really...

Bottom Line:
Great bike worth the money... It is definatly better to buy this bike than a cheap full suspension bike. The good stock components are worth the 1000$. GREAT BIKE!!!

Purchased At:   local bike store

Similar Products Used:   Rockhopper, FSR enduro comp

Bike Setup:   stock...just got it...willbe updateing with some CK disk ISO wheels and hydrolic disk brakes

Submitted by Special K a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Strengths:    It rides really good and gets the job done. That's all I need.

Weaknesses:    None so far. However, I recommend switching out the regular seatpost for a suspension seat post. It adds very little weight and makes the ride so much more comfortable and therefore you ride better.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. I had two full suspensions before moving to this hard tail and I really like it so far. It's taken some adjustment but I think I like the hardtail better than the full suspension for the type of riding I do.

The "genesis geometry" is why I bought the Gary Fisher over the Specialized and Jamis. After multiple test rides on all three bike the Gary Fisher just felt better than the others and the "genesis geometry" concept makes sense.

I ride about twice a week and ride some pretty technical stuff and this bike handles it all very well. I've crashed many times and the only problem so far has been a bent derailier hanger that was quickly fixed.

It's a lightweight bike with good componenets. I also really like the feature where you can adjust the height of the front shock. This is a great idea.

Favorite Trail:   Emma Long

Purchased At:   Discovery Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Test rode the Specialized Stump Jumper multiple times and I also test rode the Jamis Dakota XC.

Bike Setup:   Factory setup. See the Gary Fisher website for all the specifics.

Help on Gary Fisher Big Sur bike purhcase single sspeed

I ran across this bike for sale on our local list and I'm hoping someone can help me determine whether this would be an ok bike for single tracks with a beginning riding. It would replace a walmart bike until we can upgrade around spring. He wanted $100 but is down to $50. Can someone with a lot m ... Read More »

Big Sur Trail recommendations - New to Mtn Biking!

My Fiance is trying to get into Mountain Biking and wants to start with some mellow ridding. I'm looking for some good not-paved trails however flat and along the water if possible to ride on? Name a few... Just trying to get her used to the bike while enjoying the area.. T.I.A.Read More »

Last minute - Is there riding in Big Sur?

I am camping there this weekend and wonder if I should bring my bike. Staying at Julia Pfeiffer Camp Ground and won't be able to drive to the awesomeness of Toro (or much anywhere that sucks time). Even fire road will suffice but anyone have luck riding there? PM me if you want to tell me about s ... Read More »

Big Sur trails?

going to Big sur next month and was hoping to get some info on what is worth riding out there. did some snooping and all i could find is Andrew Molera State park and Old Coach rd. has anyone ridden andrew molera? what is the best route to take?Read More »

Vacation in Big Sur - where are the trails?

Hi All I am driving up from the hated Socal to your neck of the woods - literally in the woods in big sur. I have a vacation house just south of Garrapata state park on a road called Palo Colorado Road a few miles back from PCH. Are there any legal trails in the area? I am bringing my kids ... Read More »