Diamondback Sorrento 2003 Hardtail

4.1/5 (20 Reviews)

Submitted by Bought it for my wife a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2012

Strengths:    -Cheap
-Has trigger shifts (the reason she wanted this over the Outlook)
-Comfortable seat for around town
-Frame is light but not wimpy

Weaknesses:    -Cheap
-Slow
-Some components feel really wimpy
-Handlebar grips are very rough and hard--wouldn't be surprised if they gave blisters on long rides.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the 2011 model: I bought this for my wife so we could ride on trails around town together. After taking it out for a spin or two myself, I don't have any major gripes with it, it's just geared an awful lot slower than my DB Topanga. So, before you buy, know that you're getting a decent bike to putter around town with, but nothing more. Some of the brake/shifter components feel pretty flimsy and I doubt they would hold up under serious trail riding. It's a decent bike to buy if you're trying to decide if you like bike riding, this is a good bike to get, but you'll find yourself wanting to upgrade soon if you do really get into it.

Purchased At:   Dick's Sports

Similar Products Used:   Diamonback Outlook, Diamondback Topanga, Trek 4300

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Sheffield, England

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2009

Strengths:    Great frame and forks, feels really nice to ride. The disk brakes are fantastic.

Weaknesses:    Can't really think of any.

Bottom Line:
I commute 20 miles a day, my shiny new bike of awesomeness, has made it a lot easier. It just eats the road miles with ease. Had a couple of jaws dropping from car drivers as i flew past on a downhill run at 37mph. If you are thinking of buying one, i can tell you it wont disappoint. I would buy another one of these in a heartbeat.

Favorite Trail:   City streets

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback for the past 20 years.

Bike Setup:   Changed the tyres to 1.50s, which make it a joy to run on the road. Other than that everything else is stock.

Submitted by jake a Downhiller from epping

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2009

Strengths:    great durrable frame i beat the hell out of mine still runs great

Weaknesses:    rims are a big one and break cables streach easily bent my rims jumpping so cant blame the bike

Bottom Line:
great durable bike love it would go buy another in a second needs disc breaks for newer models but still amazing great for wellies pc3 out and whoever said that it suks you are a moron who dosnt know how to mountain bike go get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   idk

Purchased At:   sports authority

Similar Products Used:   nothing this amazing

Bike Setup:   lime/eletric green shimono derailers

Submitted by megame a Weekend Warrior from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2009

Strengths:    Tuff and durable frame would easily handle heavier mountain trails.

Weaknesses:    Stock rims

Bottom Line:
Aye, if you have to go from one inna-city to the next this bike is for you. I have had true (Lance Armstrong wanna be's) cyclist ride along side me as we toured through the streets with NO problems. After 6 years(3 of them heavy abuse)its time to start upgrading the hardware because this frame can take it!

Favorite Trail:   Sidewalks, Canels, dirt roads

Purchased At:   Pat's Cyclery Inc

Similar Products Used:   Never trusted anything other than a Diamonback.

Bike Setup:   STOCK! (going on 6 years yo)

Submitted by pete014 a Weekend Warrior from Millis MA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2009

Strengths:    Great strong frame for the price. Perfect for beginners and intermediate. Easily upgradable and customized.

Weaknesses:    Gears occaisionally slip on hard inclines.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is I am extremely pleased with this bike either out of the box or customized.

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam in Milford

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Upgrades bar, stem, seat and pedals. Added bar ends. It's worth the time and expense to upgrade this bike plus it gets you learning about the sport and equipment as you research.

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
The pedals need replacing or they'll eventually break on you. It has served me well in my short trips around town and some longer rides. I think I'll get new tires soon more suitable for my pavement-riding habits.

A good bike for the price. I feel like shifting is not what it should be. At it's best it hangs changing from 5th to fourth.

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Good

Similar Products Used:   My first mountain bike

Bike Setup:   Replaced pedals with aluminum ones

Submitted by brian legate from vacnouver, wa

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2008

Strengths:    Great entry bike, 6061 frame heat treated, double walled rims, Shimano components,promax brakes work ok. Again good entry bike for the money. Overall I like Diamondback/Raliegh products.

Weaknesses:    Pedals suck, front shock isn't made for jumops, rear derailleur is low end;however capable of lite trail use, seat not so good. Not made for difficult trails with rocks, stumps, etc, etc.

Bottom Line:
I got a huge break on this bike. This was a combination of bad pricing maintenance at the store, staff applying additional discounts when they should not have. In addition the store ran an ad on the bike 20 days after my purchased and advertised a $30 gift card which they ended up giving to me:)

Bottom line I'm a happy camper with this bike. It will get me back into biking and if I really enjoy this sport I'll get a more expensive setup. For now I couldn't ask for anything better for the price I paid. Rides exceptional and I've already crashed on it a couple times - still ticking.

Favorite Trail:   Forest Park

Purchased At:   not disclosed

Similar Products Used:   Really any < $300 bike with the exception of major discount stores bikes.

Bike Setup:   Replaced stock seat with a Specalized GEL Milano (very nice)-$49; replaced stock pedals with WPD-95B Clipless -$42;ordered fancy headlight and tail light from Hong Kong-$12; planning on changing out rear derailleur soon.

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2007

Strengths:    A jack rabbit. Strong and smooth. Looks ten times hotter than friends Specialized or Gary. Good bike to build on. Semi-light and slick. It won't tap your wallet straight away.

Weaknesses:    Cheap drivetrain weighs this bike down heavily. No parts that I would trust as pro. LOUD shifting -booo!

Bottom Line:
Great starter set up for sure. I use this bike primarily for street use with a few potholes, glass fields, and drawbridge grates thrown in for good measure. I weigh less than a feather and I find the mediocre components suit my needs nicely. The Spinner Grind 1 fork is much lighter than most if you can swing the 70mm travel. If I've become a weight weenie, it's only because I AM a weight weenie and lifting this sucka up stairs has been a burden. A lighter drivetrain would be a dream come true. I can't see how a casual rider would find any weaknesses for the price. Pimp it with sweeter parts as you go. -Awe, isn't she puurrrdy. Run away skipping.

Favorite Trail:   Queens to Brooklyn Crosstown

Similar Products Used:   BMX, Department store jobbers

Bike Setup:   2006 Sorrento (Yellow), Panaracer 1.5" tires, caged pedals, Cane Creek S2 headset, Profile Design stem and bars, Oury grips

Submitted by Charles Dougherty a Weekend Warrior from Mesa, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Strengths:    Good frame, comes with some decent hardware.

Weaknesses:    Lousy BB, drive train is pretty cheap, but what do you expect at this price? Shifting is pretty bad. Forks are not great.

Bottom Line:
Overall for the price this is a good entry-level bike for around town and some trail riding. I am just getting back to biking after a fifteen years off, so wanted something cheap to start off with, just in case I did not want to stick with it. I have found my love again, and will upgrade soon. This bike could really be upgraded but what would be the point?, you could save money by just buying a better bike. Will keep it for a training bike and back up, like it for what it is. It has a rock solid frame and better drive train and front suspention would make it a good mid-level cross-country bike.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Similar Products Used:   X-Roadie so have never rode mountain bikes. Raleigh Prelude, Schwinn Tour Elite.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock, alloy pedals with mini clips, suspention seat post (cost 25% of the bike!) better seat.

Submitted by Adam Wegner a Weekend Warrior from Beverly Hills, Fl

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2007

Strengths:    great starter bike. so far has done everything ive thrown at it.

Bottom Line:
great bike at a great price. cant go wrong with it if you are not a serious downhill/stunt person. if you do those things,, get a bike designed for it. this is a great machine for those that just want to hit some trails and not have to worry about their stuff snapping off.

Favorite Trail:   santos

Purchased At:   sports authority

Similar Products Used:   specialized police model

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Navarre, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2006

Strengths:    Shift levers on the handle bars, GREAT starter bike

Weaknesses:    LOUD, HARD shifting...almost scary, weak pedals

Bottom Line:
I love my DB. Since this is my first bike and I am getting braver and more daring, I am looking forward to seeing what and how much this awesome ride can handle. I am more than sure that it will take a licking and keep me proud. DB has been awesome for many years and I am sure there will be more great years to come. I recommend this bike for the beginner to intermediate rider.

Purchased At:   STAR in Savannah, GA

Bike Setup:   quick and easy...

Submitted by boner a Cross Country Rider from washington

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2006

Strengths:    Strong bike. I have the 2006 model. Double wall rims. Kenda tires. Somewhat light.

Weaknesses:    cheap pedals; cheap seat; cheap grips; low-end components. No disk brakes.

Bottom Line:
You can make any bike want you want it to be. The frame is solid 6061. Replace the tires, although stock are good for light riding. I use this bike for serious trail riding and xc racing. You don't have to spend a crapload of money to have a competitive bike. This bike hasn't failed me yet. Just tune it up on a regular basis and you can ride it for years. This bike can be a lot of fun even for serious riders. Peace.

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse Maverick comp; GT Agressor; Giant Rincon

Bike Setup:   WTB Tires; Shimano 737 clipless pedals; Trek racing saddle; everything else stock. I don't use disk brakes, prefer v brakes instead.

Submitted by Phil Long a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2005

Strengths:    good strong frame, good thing I didn't pay $300 for it like some other people..I would be pissed!

Weaknesses:    wheels are weak, bend very easily, tires are thin punctured twice already within the first month.

Bottom Line:
Bottomline if I didn't get this bike on sale I would be very upset..I think it's a very very weak bike to own...parts are cheaply made in particular the wheels and the quick release mechanism..and oh the tires..punctured twice in a month..and I am not a heavy weight. Quick release snapped off when I tried to tighten the wheels and the wheels bend when I made a small jump..overall the bike sucked....I wouldn't recommend this bike to anyone..it's worth paying a little more...
if you decide to buy this bike...get ready to replace the wheels , tires and the quick wheel release lever.

Favorite Trail:   city park ride

Purchased At:   Gart Sports

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale

Submitted by Alex Ly a Weekend Warrior from Mission Viejo, CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Strengths:    Great value.

Weaknesses:    Suntour shocks bottom out. Tires are not great.

Bottom Line:
I found the Sorrento on sale because it was a 2003 model. I bought it so I could have a ride while my Hardrock is in Big Bear for the summer (I figure it's better suited for those trails than the Sorrento). It's a decent bike for getting around and the occasional trail ride. The stock parts just aren't designed for serious riding. The shocks are too soft and bottom out. The tires are too thin. Basically it's a decent bike but don't expect it to hold up under abuse.

Favorite Trail:   Whiting Ranch