Diamondback Response 2003 Hardtail

3.19/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by foxone a Weekend Warrior from Milwaukee, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to use and adjust.

Weaknesses:    Rear rim is horrible, mine broke twice in the first month. Also the shifters aren't the best.

Bottom Line:
This bike is ok for very light use. Anything more than a flat dirt trail is almost too much. I've ridden on trails with small roots and logs and the bike can't handle these small obstacles. As I've said, the rear rim on my bike has bent twice, and was covered by warranty once. I would not recommend this bike to anybody who wants to go out and ride without problems, save your money for a better bike.

Similar Products Used:   The usual Wal-Mart bikes and a Haro hardtail

Submitted by southpass a Weekend Warrior from Overland Park, KS

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2009

Strengths:    Frame

Weaknesses:    Rear shifter

Bottom Line:
I REALLY like this frame. The stock RST Gila Fork was VERY stiff. I have replaced it with a RockShox Uturn Coil. The Frame fits me very well. I rode a bunch of bikes and finally settled on this frame for me. I will be upgrading components when factory components wear out. The frame is a little heavier but it gives me a good workout. Great bike for the money.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Fisher

Submitted by brian a Weekend Warrior from bridge city, tx, us

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2008

Strengths:    "bullet proof" frame, shifters, derailers, tires, front fork

Weaknesses:    none at all

Bottom Line:
this it one of the toughest bikes you can get for the price, very cleanly welded frame, awesome shifters,
I highly recomend this bike to anyone who has a tight budget and wants the best bike they can find

Purchased At:   bayou bikes

Similar Products Used:   mongoose EFX, very tough bike, road it for 3 years with no trouble, rear suspension finaly wore out

Bike Setup:   all stock so far

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2008

Strengths:    The fork is alright, but nothing special.

Weaknesses:    Frames bent, hanger broke within a month from when I bought it, Paint scratches and chips easily, Handle bar broke in 3 months, and rims and hubs are horrible.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for small jumps and easy downhill trails. The shop said it would do this stuff well so I bought it. At first that is all I used it for, but as I progressed to bigger and harder things the bike got demolished. It was not the shops fault, they even did alot of work on it for free (i.e.-truing the rims, giving me handlebars) The Shop is one of the best in the San Diego area. Anyways, back to the bike. THIS IS A BEGINNER BIKE. If your anything like me then save up $900 or so and buy a nice dirt jumping bike with gears. That way you won't have a bent frame like me.

Purchased At:   Performance Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Anything you find at your local walmart.

Bike Setup:   I put a dirt jumping seat on it and cut the seat post so it goes all the way down.

Submitted by joe spicer a Weekend Warrior from london, UK

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2007

Strengths:    good frame - very strong, parts seem fairly good quality for the price, great for riding around woods and light trails etc, looks great!! value for money = :D

Weaknesses:    forks are very springy even on hardest setting, front derailer makes a bit of noice and needs adjusting quite a lot, discs will NOT align properly - always making at least aslight noise

Bottom Line:
if your after a bike thats comfy and responsive (as the name suggests) this is the best value for money ive seen. it feels good doing road and woodland work, and for me its been good on dirt jumps (although you would probobly want to change the forks)
its suitable for anyone really, as long as your not doing anything too serious on it it should last.

Favorite Trail:   spring park

Purchased At:   ebay - rutland cycling

Similar Products Used:   specialized hardrock (friends bike) seems about the same, definatly not worth spending the extra money no this!!

Submitted by fred from ohio

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2007

Strengths:    forks and frame

Weaknesses:    the hole bike

Bottom Line:
the bike is a piece of poo i got it to use at the skate parks and it broke the 2en day i got so it is a piece of poo dont waste your money on this piece of crap bike

Purchased At:   dicks sporting goods

Bike Setup:   hardtail

Submitted by Dave C a Weekend Warrior from Boulder, CO. USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2006

Strengths:    Ridged aluminum frame, half way decent components for a entry level mountain/trail bike, price.

Weaknesses:    Half way decent components, poor front derailer, cheap grips.

Bottom Line:
Good starter bike that is buildable for the money. Good frame to work with. Upgrade the components over time, and you'll have a nice hard tail.

Purchased At:   Dick Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hard Rock, Kline

Bike Setup:   Aftermarket grips, front derailer, disc brakes

Submitted by Phil Paris a Weekend Warrior from Mableton, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2004

Strengths:    Sturdy frame, SR Suntour Fork

Weaknesses:    Plastic Pedals, Avila Front Deraileur

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the price, pedals had to go imediately. I dont like the seat too much, but its done very well on all the trails ive been on, and its good for trips down the street. The rear deraileur is good, but the front one has to be aligned somewhat frequently. I like it though.

Purchased At:   Galyans

Submitted by Tim Gutierrez a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    Brut bike. The price! Heavy frame which is cool when going downhill and pretty good "out of the box" components.

Weaknesses:    Kind of too heavy when taking a slow turn. I ride with my 5 year old daughter on the street most of the time, and waiting for her to cross the street and making slow turns to shield her from cars is hard to negotiate.

Bottom Line:
It's a cool bike to cruise around the street with if you're not into road bikes. Stops on a dime and I had a blast out on the trail. The bike performed well and I didn't have one single problem. Uphill is a good work-out because the bike is a little heavy, but when going downhill, that weight benefits you because it keeps you planted to the ground! I'd take a chance on saying it performed just as good, if not better than my buddies bike which is a Specialized Rockhopper. Twice, his chain popped off when going uphill.

Purchased At:   Calabazas Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock - I had a lot of problems with the derailer and the rear gear shifter. I finally threw it away because I didn't want to sink more money into it.

Bike Setup:   PHATTY Tires, shimano rapid shifter and drive train. Rockshox suspension.

Submitted by MaC a Weekend Warrior from T. Falls, MA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    Solid frame, takes a beating, good shifters, good braking power

Weaknesses:    RockShox are a little shaky, brake grips are flimsy

Bottom Line:
Solid starter bike. Takes one hell of a beating, no probs w/ derrailer, no probs w/braking, no probs w/shifting w/ exception of uphill downshifting...weak rear spring, taken me thru a year worth of jumps, crashes, messed landings etc...never had to replace rims or any other parts...not one bit of damage to the frame even after 500+miles of downhill & cross country use. Decne tbike for the price

Purchased At:   Bicycle Barn

Similar Products Used:   Diamiondback Topanga Comp, Dean USA Scout XTR

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2003

Strengths:    I cant think of any

Weaknesses:    weak rims, crappy components, heavy,paint just flakes of

Bottom Line:
This bike is definatlly no made for trails. The first day I took it out trail riding I tacoed the rim on an easy trail. From then on things have just been falling right off. On my last trip the derailer wheel mysteriosly fell off and I broke the seat. If you want a bike for an old man who just want to ride aroound to keep his arthritus from flaring up then get this but if you are a beginner dont waste your $$ on this hunk of junk.

Submitted by Sebastien Windal a Cross Country Rider from Riverside, CA - USA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Strengths:    I was going to say price but looks like other people reviewing it got it for much cheaper than me... Damned Sport Chalet.

Bottom Line:
Good bike. Good quality for the price.
If you are a beginner or if like me you are mainly cross country riding but want a bike able to handle more serious stuff once in a while, you will probably be very happy with it.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon Park Riverside

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Submitted by Joshua Kennedy a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville, NC

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2003

Strengths:    Obviously the price. It also boasts a stout frame, and is pretty solid for a cheap bike.

Weaknesses:    Eh, low end Alivio derailleurs. I think the brake levers suck, they feel all wobbly. The front chocks could be smoother.

Bottom Line:
I got rid of the pedals and seatpost on day one. I like clip pedals. The bike comes with a 300mm post, but for me to get 4" standover, I needed a longer post. On goes a RockShox suspension post. The stock seat sucks too. I'll be putting on a Love Seat. I don't care for the brake levers a bit, they feel weak, but have not broken yet. V brakes grip like its cool tho, real good stopping power. The drive train shifted well. The rapid fire shifters were right on, and I have had no problems with shifting, but if you are pedaling hard uphill forget a downshift, weak spring on the rear as well. What do you get for your money? You get a pretty stout bike with acceptable components that you can just upgrade as you wear stuff out. For the money, you can't beat it. This is a greta starter bike that you can customize as skills improve, a good daily rider, or a bad weather basher.

Favorite Trail:   Camp Lejeune is one big trail

Purchased At:   Base Exchange

Submitted by a b a Weekend Warrior from c

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Strengths:    Good beginner bike

Weaknesses:    Good beginner bike, great value

Bottom Line:
This bike was great for me to get into the sport. I hadn't ridden a bike in 3 years then picked it right back up with this. Now that I learned how to ride again I'm looking for something that can do more. I built it up a little to push it a ltttle further, but now i want dual suspension. I put good beginner bike for weakness and strength because you lean quick but are still looking for more. But thats what i get for getting a department store bike. Great value though.

Favorite Trail:   trails by my house

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting goods