Cannondale F600 2003 Hardtail

4.33/5 (30 Reviews)

Submitted by Lin

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2013

Strengths:    I switched from a little too big Trek 8000 to Cannondale in 2006. Willing to spend as much as I did on Trek in 1987 ($1000). Impressed to see I could get shocks & disc brakes on Cannondale for same price & Shimano shifters. As light as Trek.

Weaknesses:    Every screws/bolt(s) & disc brake rusting. I had to switch out handle bars, as well as seat with quick release. Now I have a better fitting seat & bar for my 5'1" frame. No quick release on seat. This bike gets so little use. Live in urban Dallas....not beach side on the coast.

Bottom Line:
Now I have to find replacement screws/bolts to fit handle bar, brakes. Shimano parts on Cannondale. No rust. 1987 Trek 8000 still going strong with NO rusted screws/bolts anywhere! Both bikes have always been stored inside. Cannondale has 25% usage to date compared to other. Local bike shop tells me Cannondale screws/bolts proprietary & they don't have or are unwilling to search and sell to me as they don't sell Cannondale - shouldn't matter in my world of thinking. Thinks every rusting bike is parked near a pool. Hilarious! Still trying to locate my manual to key in on rusted parts to replace. Manual not on Cannondale site - though another model may be appropriate for some replacement parts. Won't buy another. I will spend additional $500 & go with Surly. Feel I got $500-$600 worth of bike. Apparently inflation took its toll.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000 Mountain Bike; 18 Speed racer

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, CA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2007

Strengths:    2006 F600 Furio Alu(raw) finish; SRAM X7 shifter quicker/better than Shimano XTR; Light; excellent climber; Headshok lockout/rebound damper control; Avid BB5 mech disc stops with one-finger pull. MAVIC rims.

Weaknesses:    Stock seat, pedals.

Bottom Line:
Because of this bike alone- I have went from being a twice/month rider, to a daily rider! On hills, this thing climbs effortlessly. On descents, the razor-sharp precision on turns simply amazes me. This ride will inspire confidence, and make you a BETTER RIDER....whether you like it or not. I used to think only yuppies rode Cannondale bikes....but now I'm a believer. Cannot beat HAND MADE IN USA!

Worth every penny spent....

Favorite Trail:   Art Smith Trail

Purchased At:   Private Party

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6000; Specialized Rockhopper Comp disc; Marin Nail Trail disc; Gary Fisher HooKooEKoo.

Bike Setup:   2006 Furio; SRAM X7 thumbshifters/rear derailleur; Fizik Wingflex Nisene Sport saddle; Crank Brothers Smarty pedals; rest is stock components.

Submitted by Andre Guillerm a Weekend Warrior from Woodbridge, VA USA

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2005

Strengths:    Excellent frame, Avid mechanical disc brakes, good drive train spec, Mavic rims.

Weaknesses:    Awful tread on the Hutchison tires, brake levers are on the flimsy side, and the Fizik saddle is not comfy at all and the rails slid and rusted in seatpost-as I haven't had a problem with my replacement saddle, it wasn't the post.

Bottom Line:
Purchased this bike when I decided that I really liked the sport, and was not disappointed- great transition bike for the rider that wants to upgrade from a "box-store" bike to feed their addiction for superb American craftsmanship without busting the bank. The frame is seamless, a work of art, and has survived some real bad crashes! Bike climbs very well even without the lock-out, and the frame is agile in technical sections and can whip around on switchbacks, although can be a little jarring on very rooty sections, but this is a characteristic common to all hardtails. The Avid mechanical brakes are much easier to adjust than V-brakes-I'll never ride the dirt without discs again!. Rollamajig was added to improve shifting from good to great. The Fatty fork is good, but is a little too spongy for my taste. Overall, a very good bike and the best bike for the money in Cannondale's stable, which is full of beautiful, innovative but sadly, expensive bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead

Purchased At:   Olde Towne Bikes

Similar Products Used:   1999 Cannondale CAAD3, Trek 950, Trek Y-Frame

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Selle Italia Prolink saddle, IRC Mythos tires, and Avid Rollamajig.

Submitted by Maurice a Cross Country Rider from Born

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2005

Strengths:    the frame is GREAT !!! superstiff in combination with the headshok. Really a great match !

Weaknesses:    don't know yet

Bottom Line:
The first time in the mountains I was surprised! This thing really climbs like hell !! Never had ridden a bike that go's so good uphill like this one. And I have tested a lot of bikes (for example at clinics) The lockout is very usefull.

With the hollowtech2 crank a real eye catcher. Truvativ sucks

The Avid mechanical disc brakes are really great. Expecially when it's wet. At first I didn't know what to think about them because they are mech's, but now i'm very satisfied with them.

I am very satisfied with this bike and I can recommend it to everyone.

One day,... we'll al ride a cannondale

Favorite Trail:   epen

Similar Products Used:   trek stp
cannondale sv700
no name hardtail

Bike Setup:   avid's mech. (super)
F800 wheels
Hollowtech2 XT cracks (in stead of the *&@&!@ truvativ)
super fatty ultra DL

Submitted by Ben a Racer from Springdale, AR

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2004

Strengths:    Headshock rocks! It's simple, light, and there is nothing to maintain. Frame is awesome, made in USA with sweet smooth welds. Components: Avid mech. are the only way to go, great crank set, wheelset is nice for stock.

Weaknesses:    Brake levers are weak and flimsy, stock saddle is too soft and cheap feeling.

Bottom Line:
Bike is a great bike to start racing on, upgradable and light frame. Components are a good enough for light , rec riding. Slap some slicks on it and use it for a commuter or put another $300 in it and you've got a sweet race bike.

Favorite Trail:   Fossil Flats, Devil's Den State Park

Purchased At:   Highroller Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   02 Cannondale Scapel 1000, 03 Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Michelin Comp S light tires, Easton EA70 flat bar, Sram 0.9 cassette, Titec carbon race seatpost, Selle Italia Flite saddle, Avid Speed Dial Ti brake levers.

Submitted by Jesse Evangelista a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2004

Strengths:    Disc Brakes, Headshok Lockout for climbing or speed, don’t have to worry too much about untrue wheels. Cannondale stem design looks really light.

Weaknesses:    : Heavy and slow compared to a road bike. 2003 model can’t really fit a standard rack for mounting panniers. A seatpost hanging rack won’t carry much weight. The 2003 model doesn’t have the tapped holes needed for racks, the 2004 model does. But the 2004 model has cheaper cranks.

Bottom Line:
This is a good hardtail for some aspects of mountain biking – but I don’t mtb. I ride city streets that are flat (Chicago, IL). I mainly bought this bike because it has disc brakes – so that untrue wheels wouldn’t be a bother too much. Bike felt faster with the stock Hutchinson tires rather than the Specialized Armadillos I put on. Couldn’t put a decent set of racks and panniers on the bike – so I was disappointed with the utility of this bike. Used this bike for 1.5 months, then bought a good road bike. Fell in love with the speed and pedaling ease of a road bike – so compared with that – the F600 is a slow bike. But all mtb’s are generally slower than road bikes. What I should have bought was a Fuji Royale flat bar road bike (a hybrid ?). The Fuji Royale is fast and has rack & pannier bag capacity. I keep my F600 because it is my only good top quality mtb bike, but I don’t ride it often. Riding the F600 really gives a workout to my legs; it makes them sore after a ride whereas I don’t get sore on a road bike. This bike has a comfortable geometry.

Favorite Trail:   I ride city streets.

Purchased At:   Kozy's, price is after tax.

Similar Products Used:   An upgraded 24” Pacific mtb bike that has a rack and Jand Commuter panniers. 2002 Giant TCR Aero 2 Road Bike, 5 bmx bike like a Hutch & a PK Ripper

Bike Setup:   Stock components, changed tired to Specialized Armadillos, Planet Bike 9.0 computer, black color

Submitted by adam white a Racer from new york, ny

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2004

Strengths:    HANDMADE IN THE U.S.A.: The frame is a thing of beauty, meticulously crafted with excellent geometry, light and extremely responsive. Avid mechanical discs are marvelous considering how much stopping power they deliver with virtually no maintenance. The lockout on the Headshok is so easy to use and effective that it literally changes the way you ride.

Weaknesses:    Why no quick-release on the seatpost clamp? Anyone stealing this seat would be doing you a favor. More adjustability from the Headshok would be nice. Stock house-brand brake levers are cheap in both feel and function, and do no justice whatsoever to this otherwise great brake system. It's great that they clear-coat over the decals, but did thay have to hit the obnoxious "bike safety tips" sticker as well?

Bottom Line:
I live in NYC and needed a hardtail that I could put street feet on and ride to and from work, but also slap fatties on and take on weekend trips to places like Plattekill. I live in a five-story walk-up so weight was also a big issue; I didn't want to end up hating my bike. I originally looked at the Cannondale Bad Boys, but then realized that an F600 gets you virtually the same bike (mech discs too, but I wanted them anyway) for about 400 bucks less. Sure, flat black is cool, but the SoBe yellow will hopefully provide better visibility to crazy NYC cabbies.

Performance-wise, this bike shreds like a roto-tiller on crack. With the Nimbus tires and the front end locked out it becomes a sick fast and stable city bike, and when I throw on Velociraptors it can go anywhere. A lot of what I've read in these reviews is dead-on: the bike climbs marvelously (especially when locked out), the brakes are great (once they break in) and the seat is just out to cause you pain.

There is NO BETTER aluminum hardtail at this price and believe me, I TESTED THEM ALL. Buy one.

Favorite Trail:   tuckerman's

Purchased At:   larry and jeff's bikes +, nyc

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche
TREK 900
GT LTS-1

Bike Setup:   2004 F600, SoBe Yellow w/ WTB SST seat, Avid speed dial levers, Salsa grips and Specialized Nimbus tires.

Submitted by Chaser a Cross Country Rider from North Yorkshire, England

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2004

Strengths:    Strong and lightweight handmade frame, Headshok fork with lockout, Avid discs

Weaknesses:    Tyres have high rolling resistance and get choked on mud; get them changed!

Bottom Line:
Quick, responsive and agile with excellent power transfer, the F600 climbs like a cat and descends really well. Handling is predictable with the Headshok fork allowing the rider to concentrate on picking lines, and the Avid brakes provide massive stopping power. Great bike for regular cross country riders and weekend warriors. Bike looks great in black or Nimbus Grey (European colour variant).

Favorite Trail:   Dalby Forest/Coverdale Head Killer Loop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper, Klein Attitude, Trek etc.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for X-Lite carbon riser bars, Continental Explorer and Escape Tyres (F & R), WTB Laser V Stealth saddle

Submitted by Pole a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2003

Strengths:    Light, extremely good climber, high quality feeling, the geometry combined with the headshock fork works nice on technically single tracks, nice components

Weaknesses:    Avid mechanical disc-breaks needs adjustment all the time, Shimano pedals works better than Coda.

Bottom Line:
The geometry of the bike is excellent for singletrack riding. I love the bike. It didn´t take long time before I became one with the bike. I must say that I leave my friends behind now! You can feel the quality when riding the bike. With some component upgrades you really got a astonashing bike for a decent price.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper, Merida, Scott E-racing

Bike Setup:   Changed to hydraulic disc brakes

Submitted by Rod Garrison a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, TN USA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2003

Strengths:    Very good entry level bike. With upgrades, bike is even better. I like the headshock. Smooth ride and very light with some component changes.

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur, wheels, crank and BB, pedals

Bottom Line:
I like this bike. The changes I made were for my personal preferences. The Cane Creek seat post would seem like an odd upgrade, however, it has improved my downhill speed on rocky terrain. I plan on upgrading the stem to a Kore Elite with a 12D rise for better performance. I would recommend the bike and make changes as needed. Good Bike, would buy it again.

Bike Setup:   I have added several worthwhile upgrades. They include: Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 tires, Cane Creek Thud-Buster seat post, Selle Itallia Prolink saddle, Race Face Prodigy crank w/BB, Shimano XTR front derailleur.

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2003

Strengths:    Headshox "on the fly" lockout, Components package, CAAD4 Frame & colour Tangelo/Mango.

Weaknesses:    Saddle - replaced with San Marco Regal

Bottom Line:
Good quality bike, like the lock out for climbing (jury still out on the Headshox forks as a package). Good quality mid range XC hardtail. I am going to build some new wheels over the summer for XC, used the old ones with slicks for road riding. Cannondale quality.

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC2 Disc

Bike Setup:   Replaced Avid brakes with Magura louise hydraulic disc brakes. Carbon Fibre stumpy Bar Ends. XT Front Derailleur. Maxm MX-1 Handlebars.

Submitted by Ben a Racer from Springdale, AR USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2003

Strengths:    Headshok, Avid Discs, color, and of course its a Cannondale!

Weaknesses:    Pedals, seat, seatpost, rims.

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome hardtail, the price was just right. With a few upgrades you are able to turn this badboy into one of the sweetest race bikes out there. If you are looking for a bike to upgrade and last get the F600, you will not be let down.

Purchased At:   Highroller Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 6700

Bike Setup:   Put on Shimano 959 pedals, Titec carbon seatpost, Mavic Crossmax wheelset, LX front derailer, and an Easton EA70 flatbar (carbon fiber soon)

Submitted by Fatman a Weekend Warrior from Sydney,Australia

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Strengths:    Caad4 frame,(I've snapped Caad5),Headshok is very stiff and smooth, geometry is good for XC.Saddle is comfortable,reasonably light.Avid brakes are pretty good.Cannondale lifetime warranty.Black looks sweet.

Weaknesses:    Bars,tyres,crankset,pedals,no rebound dampening.Satin black paint difficult to clean.

Bottom Line:
Good every day bike,I use mine as a commuter and play bike. Not good for drops or jumping. Could be raced if you wanted to,still a little heavy.In the end you get what you pay for.This is a great bike for people looking to get a serious hardtail without spending huge dollars.There are certainly more capable bikes out there but this bike is heaps of fun.

Favorite Trail:   Red Hill, Oxford Falls

Purchased At:   SIC Bikes,St Ives

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar(Best hardtails ever!),Cannondale F2000,Norco Nitro,

Bike Setup:   Stock except for egg beaters,Python tyres and Easton riser bars.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Burke, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2003

Strengths:    Great handling, avid disc brakes (not hydraulic - no need to carry a bleed kit and fluid), Head Shock locks out, Air pressure in head-shock is adjustable with an air-pump, flat black paint (killer looks), Cannondale build quality, Made in the USA.

Weaknesses:    The stock saddle is horrible. I replaced the saddle at my LBS with a Specialized Telluride. Not the greatest peddles. I will most likely replace them with "egg beaters" in the near future.

Not really a weakness but...I wish bike companies would start putting bar ends on upper level MTB's at the factory.

Bottom Line:
This is the first "real" MTB I have purchased. Took it out this weekend on one of the local trails. Plenty of mud puddles after the rain we have had. The F600 handled like a dream even with someone as rusty as me piloting. I had a few minor falls on wet rocks and/or logs (no dings or scratches on the new paint, thank God). The peddles are not the easiest to clip into (they may get easier with use).

The F600 upgrades from the F400 with disc brakes and CAAD4 frame design but you don't pay the extra ~$400 for the lefty fork on the F800.

I purchased this bike for 15% off at my LBS. They are making room for the 2004 models. It was the last one in my area with the correct frame size.

I would recommend this bike to anyone looking for a hard tail at this price point.

Bike Setup:   Stock - except for saddle.

Submitted by AJ RYAN a Weekend Warrior from EAST HANOVER NJ

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2003

Strengths:    GREAT BIKE LOOKS GREAT RIDES GREAT FLAT BLK. CANNONDALE MADE IN USA

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
ONE OF THE SHARPEST BIKES OUT THERE.

'04 Cannondale Furio f600 question

Can someone please tell me what size/type front derailleur my '04 Cannondale Furio f600 needs? I'm shopping on Ebay but I'm out of state and don't have my bike with me to look at.Read More »

F600 Headshok Hub & Bottom out

this is my first post on the forums here, so i'm sorry if i'm reposting an already talked about topic. i searched and didnt quite find what i was looking for so here goes.. i recently bought a used 2004 Cannondale F600 Furio with a Super Fatty Ultra DL80. the headshok locks out, but it bottoms out ... Read More »

F600 rear 650b clearance?

Can a 27.5in fit on the rear of an f600. I think its a 2004. Looks like it would be close but i have no wheel to try. Thanks in advance!Read More »

3.0 tires on a 2003 F600?

Thinking of running a fake fat for the winter and I'm wondering if I can run 3" tires in the rear. It looks fine in the front but the seems to be quite close in the rear. So if anyone has a Furio frame and a 3" tire and a 19mm rim could you please check it out for me? If not, tell me why it's a ... Read More »

Good Buy?: 2004 Cannondale F600 (Noob Question)

I'm trying to get into the sport. I started out by going to the LBS and asking a ton of questions. I rode some bikes and got a good feel for my size needs. I've also read a ton online. Now I'm trying to find a nice, older bike at a reasonable price. More bang for my buck and all. I'm finding o ... Read More »