Cannondale F400 2003 Hardtail

4.45/5 (31 Reviews)

Submitted by neocaster a Cross Country Rider from Malvern, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, balanced, lock out, midrange components @ budget price

Weaknesses:    Stock pedals disintegrated (8 years wasn't a bad run, though)

Bottom Line:
This is my first bike with any kind of suspension. I was looking for light trail/field/XC riding with the occasional side trip on something slightly more inclined or technical. Climbs nicely. If I need more than 80mm of travel on the fork, I should probably look for a FS bike. I can't imagine how much better I could have done for an entry-level hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Lehigh Gorge and surrounding

Purchased At:   Tri County Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Stock, unknown handlebar ends, Forte MTX pedals,

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, Va, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2010

Strengths:    Robust bike, brakes, chain, shifters, very strong setup!

Weaknesses:    wheels/rims, the suns were damaged quickly in city riding.

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike. Used it as setup as commuter during college, then as a patrol bike on the police department, and now as a weekend rider on trails. What a great deal for a bike to last that long and in so many venues. With new wheels, there's no bike out there that compares. I must confess, the original Sun wheels were damaged while commuting in college by jumping on and off of curbs. I was warned about this and am kind of guilty for that damage. :))

Favorite Trail:   WOD

Purchased At:   AGEE's Carytown, Ric

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh, Trek, Schwinn

Bike Setup:   By those at Agee's in Carytown, Richmond Virginia

Submitted by Justin Time a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2010

Strengths:    Rides great - handles great - light weight

Weaknesses:    Shock = the shock went bad after a year, so since you can't buy canondale parts you have to send the shock in to have it serviced :( After paying 150$ for the service the shock only lasted 1 month.

Bottom Line:
Im not going to pay 150$ a month to have this shock serviced! Nor will I purchase a Canondale again. If the shock lasted it would be a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Rays mtb park

Purchased At:   eddies

Submitted by DHmonkey123 a Downhiller from California

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2010

Strengths:    light, durable, comfey

Weaknesses:    the rims and stock tubes. well i ran into a car and bent the rim so that's my fault

Bottom Line:
great buy but i got mine for a HUGE discount because i know the owner really well.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Purchased At:   Big Swingin' Cycles

Similar Products Used:   cannondale F5

Bike Setup:   stock except for azonic downhill pedals, and XC racing tubes

Submitted by mandexzander a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2009

Strengths:    Solid Frame, Decent Components

Weaknesses:    Front Fork, Rims

Bottom Line:
Great commuter once you customize it. However, after about 4000km's the rear Mavic rim started volcano-ing and suffered fractures and needed to be replaced. Also, agree with other comments that the fork is not great. I never made a big deal about it, because it's a commuter, but would hate it for off-roading.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Commuterized - raised handlebars, put slicks and a rack.

Submitted by mslrep a Cross Country Rider from mslrep@hotmail.com

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2009

Strengths:    Frame, components (looks)

Bottom Line:
Looking at the swapout program fro the mono shock fork, other than that, an all around excellant MTB.

Favorite Trail:   Kady

Purchased At:   St Louis

Submitted by Merv Howard a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2005

Strengths:    Can't comment because it hasn't worked yet.

Weaknesses:    Forks have not worked since buying the bike. Air is escaping from the fork as soon as it is pumped up. It has been away to Cannondale 3 times and has not been fixed on all occasions. Cannondale have even tried to wash their hands of the whole afair. I have had Cannondales all my adult life and am now discusted with the company.

Bottom Line:
I have had it with this company. Expensive bikes - Cheap parts!

Favorite Trail:   MBR

Purchased At:   Garmisch (Germany)

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F800 SL

Bike Setup:   As from the factory

Submitted by Jacob a Weekend Warrior from Elk Grove

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2004

Strengths:    Lightness(i got mine to 23 lbs), stiffness, lockout, brakes are ok, climbs like a mountain goat.

Weaknesses:    handlebars(snaped mine), pedals, gears skip on occassion, front fork is stiff but some like it that way.

Bottom Line:
Its a good bike, really stiff and light. Its lasted me a long time and i think im ready for something new. This is the perfect bike for someone who isnt sure they want to go balls out on buying an expensive bike but want something nicer than a cheapo k mart bike. BE WARNED this bike will make you enjoy mountain biking alot and you will eventually want to get a better (and more expensive bike).

Favorite Trail:   Auburn,Downieville,Bullards Bar

Purchased At:   City Bike Works

Similar Products Used:   this is my second bike and its way better than my old trek 4300

Bike Setup:   Ive souped it up alot, new handlebars, front fork, xtr front deraileur, crossmax ceramics, new brakes:)

Submitted by Chad a Cross Country Rider from Sunrise, FL

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2004

Strengths:    Front Suspension Lockout, Light Weight, XT Rear derail.

Weaknesses:    None come to mind

Bottom Line:
I wasn't sure what type of bike to buy for the first time out. I went to a few bike shops and was pointed in the direction of the F400. I test rode a few different brands and felt most comfortable on the Cannondale. I didn't want to spend a lot of money until I was sure that I would be using my bike. After about a year of riding I am going to purchase a full suspension - jekyll 800, but I will always keep my F400 for occasional riding and as a backup. I highly recommend this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Anything at Markham Park

Purchased At:   Big Wheel

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Nate Haller a Weekend Warrior from Keego Harbor, MI

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Strengths:    Headshox is great, XT rear never missed a gear.

Weaknesses:    Lame crankset. Very week. Chainsuck bent inner chainring. Deore front deraileur hits the frame when you downshift.
Upgraded to Shimano LX crankset and SRAM 99 chain and had no problems.

Bottom Line:
I've riden the bike 15-20 times and had it into the shop around 6 times. I rode a stock Rockhooper with STX components and no front shocks for 3 years with no problems. I haven't had this bike more then 8 months and it's caused me 6 trips to the shop.
Bike's great for paved trails.

Favorite Trail:   Highland State Park

Purchased At:   KLM Bike & Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Technium and Specialized Rockhooper

Bike Setup:   Initial setup was poor. I took it to a different place then were I bought it, Scarlett's in Pontiac, and they did an excellent job making it run smooth.

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Cousersport,PA,U.S.

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2004

Strengths:    Sweet ride. Has a lot of the same components as the Jekylls and Scalpels. eadshock is easy to adjust, and Mythos tires are awesome! Great bike to last you and keep upgrading.

Weaknesses:    Crankset can be a pain when dirt finds its way in.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike, comes with great components like Shimano XT derailleur, and the replacable derailleur bracket frame is a great idea, too.

Purchased At:   Country Ski and Sports

Submitted by Paul H. a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL USA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2004

Strengths:    lock-out shock, light weight, solid components, good warantee.

Weaknesses:    expensive (to me).

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I bought it primerly to ride to work and back a couple times a week. I need to ride on bumpy sidewalks and road sides to stay out of traffic. Riding my old mountain bike (no shocks) was making my wrists sore. I had looked around at bikes for a long time. I had not planned to spend any where close to $800, but decided the lock out shock was worth the extra $. It was also much lighter than the other bikes I was considering. I am very happy with my decision.

I now ride this bike most of the time. It is lighter and seems faster than even my old road bike with thin 700x23 tires.

I would reccomend this bike to anyone who can afford it. I have not ridden it off road much, but plan to try it and expect it will do well there too. P.S. I weigh 200 lbs.

Favorite Trail:   NA

Purchased At:   University Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   A very old Specialized Hard Rock mountain bike.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock. I had street tires put on before I bought it. I since changed out the seat for a more comfortable one. I also changed out the petals for clipless, but switched back to the originals to prevent falls. I believe this already prevented one spill.

Submitted by James Dorrian a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville, Fl, USA

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2004

Strengths:    I love the fork. The lockout is great on a road ride or a smooth uphill. It also feels great on XC or even most downhills.

Weaknesses:    Cranks. Brakes went to crap after a month or two of mud. I would recommend replacing the levers and brakes.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price. The only thing that seperates this bike from a high end bike is a few miscellaneous parts that will lighten it up and balance it out. I love it. Highly recommended for any XCer looking for a great value.

Favorite Trail:   Trails in the Azores that you probably will never see!

Purchased At:   American Bicycle Company

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000, Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Clipless. Am adding an Easton EC90 as well as Avid Ti brakes.

Submitted by Jacob a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento,CA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2003

Strengths:    Frame is strong and super light,Shimano XT derrailure, good rims,shocks are light and have good travel with a lockout ability.The paint can take a good beating without getting scratched. Overall this is the best bike Ive ever had.

Weaknesses:    Grips are a little rough and shocks are a little stiff when you first get them so take some air out of them.

Bottom Line:
This Bike Rocks!

Favorite Trail:   Auburn Loop