Cannondale F300 2003 Hardtail

4.39/5 (31 Reviews)

Submitted by Elvis a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, good geometry -- stable at speed, handles well turning, no twitch out of the saddle, good gloss black paint job, smooth finished welds

Weaknesses:    Older model (late 90's) does not have replaceable derailer hanger for rear gears, stock bars and stem were crap, grip shift is junk (but easily replaced from the parts bin). Also, those smooth welds, which look sleek but could if not done right lead to cracks eventually.

Bottom Line:
A light and responsive and very cool looking frame. An older F-300, it had rather blah and unimpressive stock parts, but when you have shoeboxes full of old parts, that is easily remedied. No real vices here, or fatal flaws, except that with Cannondales it pays to keep an eye on the frame. I have heard stories of frame failure or cracking, typically around the headtube. As I got mine second hand I made sure to check that out real good, no problems. I can't see what's under the paint, but from what I could tell and how it feels in motion, this is a well made frame at least as good as others at the price (according to old data I saw it was over $500 new).

I would say, if you can find one, get it, provided the frame looks sound. The newer ones are rather cool too, but the late 90's, in my opinion, shine. When this thing popped up I snagged it, and have not been disappointed. You won't be either.

Favorite Trail:   any local dirt

Purchased At:   used at flea market

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500 set up as single speed mtb, another cannondale with headshock (red white and blue edition), etc.

Bike Setup:   Kept the stock fork since it's stiff. Replaced the bar and stem with a newer and lighter CODA stem and a straight aluminum bar shortened a bit at each end. Old Suntour XCM thumb shifters operate the 3 front gears and 7 rear gears. The bike is running Araya rims, suntour hubs, and bontrager Road Warrior street slicks. This has become my around town bike, and flies on the road, oddly enough, once I got the ride position and seat height tweaked. With another pair of rims it will do well offroad too, although moist of my offroad routes are rather tame old dirt trails so that might not be saying much. And, at any rate, I'm not throwing a vintage aluminum bike over any scary offroad obstacles until I lose some weight.

Submitted by ferreter a Cross Country Rider from Dorset

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2010

Strengths:    Everything, I'm 6'6" and 15 stone (210lbs) & its an 18"frame (cant get me on a modern compact in that size). I bought the bike in 99 after breaking 2 Trek's, a GT & a rockhopper. I commute everyday 10miles and it goes out every other weekend with me and has done for 10 years. It spent 3 years in the back yard without any cover. I've long since replaced all the parts but the frame is the Ninja of them all. I will not get rid of this frame.... Ever.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely nothing at all!

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is, if you come across one of these frames, get it! They dont make them like this anymore!

Similar Products Used:   Specialised rockhopper, Kona, Cube & GT

Bike Setup:   Truvativ holtzfeller howitzer 2sp crank, Sram x7's & 8sp cassette, Marzoccchi Bombers, Avid SD7 brakes, Rigida Sphinx rims

Submitted by carey a Weekend Warrior from san diego ca

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
great bike

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Chilliwack, B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2008

Strengths:    Frame, frame, frame. Fast, fast, fast.

Weaknesses:    Brakes a bit cludgy to re-adjust each time I removed a wheel. I would have preferred a bigger big gear on the front.

Bottom Line:
Wicked fast. Durable city-centric (but happily off-roadish) bike that required a minimum of tweaking to enjoy. Mine didn't have shocks on the front, so the response when pedalling was immediate and exciting. Frame geometry doesn't lend itself to jumping (unless you'd like your headset in your teeth), but that is not to say it isn't an awesome, bitey, snappy little trail beast that corners as well as any bike I've ridden. It's not a downhiller per-se. I felt it was too light for that, but the frame stiffness lends itself to flat-land pwnership. And damn is it fast. Great frame with decently acceptable components at this price point.

Favorite Trail:   Endowment Lands (UBC)

Purchased At:   PedalSport

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Non Suspension (Front or Rear). Aluminum Wellgo LU-982 pedals. I had them remove the grip shifts and replace the drive-train w/ Alivio @ N/C. AHEADSet SE-1. Hutchinson Mosquito Tires.

Submitted by Tommy a Weekend Warrior from Eastpointe

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2007

Strengths:    Great frame, some good components. Frame holds up well under a 200+ pound man.

Weaknesses:    Some of the components ar not that great. The brakes and shifters stink. The shock is low end too. But, on the other hand, they all work for my style of riding.

Bottom Line:
This was an excellent entry level bike in its day for anyone who rides casually. Components can easily be upgraded as they fail, but none have on my F300 thus far. Not a good bike for someone in the intermediate or advanced stages of the sport, just beginners. Great value for the price, and the Handmade In America sticker is nice, too.

Favorite Trail:   Bald Mountain

Purchased At:   Bikes, Blades, and Boards

Similar Products Used:   None, this was my first suspension bike.

Bike Setup:   Completely stock except for WTB Speed V saddle.

Submitted by Tom Baker a Weekend Warrior from Eastpointe, MI.

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    Good price, nice frame. Made In USA.

Weaknesses:    Have yet to break anything.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike in 2003, but only just recently (2007) have I started trail riding. I do some beginner trails near my home and have a blast with this bike. I read here the components are lacking in quality, but I have yet to break anything on this bike. The one complaint I do have is after trail riding a few times I feel like the stock seat is a little too big. Dont know why, I usually like a more comfortable seat. Anyway, good bike for the money, looks cool, too.

Favorite Trail:   Stony Creek

Purchased At:   Bikes, Blades, Boards

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by craig peet a Weekend Warrior from baltimore, md

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Strengths:    Wife liked it. it's hers. Nice gift.The paint seems to be very durable,stickers stay on very well. The tires are a very strong rubber. Reflectors are very shiny, make you wanna say " wow, there bright"!

Weaknesses:    It could of been a little cheaper. I bought it from a friend.

Bottom Line:
I LIKE IT MUCHO

Favorite Trail:   patapsaco state

Purchased At:   freinds house

Similar Products Used:   cars, trucks, a plane ride. Basically anything that moves.

Bike Setup:   Dual exhaust, turbo, tachometer, sometimes I run slicks. Seatbelt.

Submitted by Haroon Rashid a Weekend Warrior from Austin

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2006

Strengths:    Frame(geometry, comfort, strength), looks, weight for price

Weaknesses:    Shifters, brake pads, not a 9 speed, fork

Bottom Line:
Although the components are mediocre they work well for this bike at this price point. Overall a great long lasting serious entry level hardtail MTB with upgrade potential. I probably wont upgrade this one a whole lot as I am planning on upgrading to a whole new rig altogether (caffeine 3 possibly).

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Submitted by Troy Cregger a Cross Country Rider from Derry, NH

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2005

Strengths:    The frame, it's taken 2 years of my abuse and I'm over 200lbs. This frame is still as streight and rigid as new. Overall, good standard components.

Weaknesses:    Forks are way too soft for my weight, the seat was replaced because it looked like something my Mom would want on er bike. Front derailer seems a bit flaky.

Bottom Line:
I wanted something that was durable and that I could modify later so, when I was shopping, it was all about the frame. This frame rocks! For the $$ you can't beat this deal. I'm not sure what Cannondale is offering this year in the same price range but I think they hit on a winner with this type of price/frame/options combo. I'd have to say this is the perfect entry level bike that has the potential to grow with the rider. I don't anticipate buying another bike until I have the skills (and the loot) for a full suspention free rider.

Purchased At:   Buchika's (Salem, NH)

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse, forgot the model. Same style.

Bike Setup:   Stock, save for the seat.

Submitted by Robby from CT

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2005

Strengths:    For the price, this bike is simply the best. All of the components plus the frame add up to make a great package. It is a great all - mountain bike. It is very light and comes with decent components. For V - Brakes, they are good.

Weaknesses:    The AXEL fork neds more travel.

Bottom Line:
For 500 it is a good value and is great for people that are just starting out. I now own a Prophet 600 witch is amaaaazing!!!!

Purchased At:   Bethel

Bike Setup:   I replaced the tires with Enduro Pro and also changed the seat. I put different pedals on it too. (Shimano platform)

Submitted by Marcelo D Antona a Weekend Warrior from Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2004

Strengths:    Bought XL F300 frame only 2 years ago, paint scheme was volvo blue. Assembled on a Shimano XT group, a Rockshox Psylo XC fork, DT Swiss XC rims and voila, got a versatile bike I use for XC light trails and street use. Frame is very resistant, very versatile.

Weaknesses:    XL size is still a bit on small side for anyone as tall as I am (6'3"). Frame is heavy but strong.

Bottom Line:
Good frame for entry level riders. Good for a lifetime relationship in case main use is not racing.

Purchased At:   BikeTech

Similar Products Used:   Aerotech (Taiwan ???) 21' mountain bike frame , Alfamec (brazilian maker) 21'Tirreno frame

Bike Setup:   Shimano 2003 XT group, Rockshox 2003 Psylo XC fork, DT Swiss XC rims, FSA carbon rise bar, Maxxim Larsen TT 1.95 tires.

Submitted by Stacey Graham a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis MN USA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2004

Strengths:    That wonderful frame

Weaknesses:    Rock Shox Judy TT fork

Bottom Line:
I'm a bigger rider, and wanted an urban warrior. rather than a street bike I decided on the Cannondale after comparing it to comparable Gary Fisher Tassajara. For hard off road the fork is useless, but I threw some slicks on it and use it to bike commute along with nightly harder rides mostly on pavement. It is excellent for those who don't want a racer, and (let's face it) the frame and bike are visually stunning. Costly, and not for hardcore offroading, but fine fine bike for casual and commuting. Now I can convert the old Bridgestone into a single-speed bomber!

Favorite Trail:   any