Cannondale F1000 SL 2003 Hardtail

4.92/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by Mitchell Guertin a Weekend Warrior from Lithia, Florida USA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2008

Strengths:    shifting, comfort, agility, rugged, looks.

Weaknesses:    CODA crankset.

Bottom Line:
Within 2 years of owning this bike I noticed that the CODA crankset started creaking. I got by with just tightening it , but after a while, it became unbearable because I know it just wasn't right.
I brought it to University Bicycles in Tampa. Cannondale discontinued the use of the CODA components. Over $400 later, I had a new Diore XT set put on(with other maintenence work). It was more expensive than a full tune-up on my car.It was upsetting because when I went to buy this bike, the main factor in shopping for a bike was durability and strength: something I will have for a long time and not worry about a taco salad when I ride.
I still have it, and still enjoy it more than any other bicycle I have ever owned. I don't dispairage the product or the company, but I do question the use of "experimental" components on such acomplishment of ingenuity.

Favorite Trail:   Balm-Riverview

Similar Products Used:   Huffy?

Submitted by Chet a Weekend Warrior from Pa

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2004

Strengths:    Super fast and strong....the perfect combination between a viper and a hummer. marta brakes are extremely predictable and offer serta perfect sleeper comfort on the nastiest trails.

Weaknesses:    had initial problems with leaking tubeless tires...easily fixed though.

Bottom Line:
sell your car and buy this bike....and take a job further from your house too. considering the price adding a few component upgrades ( at your preferance ) makes this the most bullit proof hardtail ever....hear that kona, trek, cove and litespeed....ever.

Favorite Trail:   any with dirt....

Purchased At:   Sicklers

Similar Products Used:   schwinn homegrown, daimond back pro zeetec 4.1, trek 9.8

Bike Setup:   added carbon lefty elo, monkey lite carbon riser bar, san marce slr seat and an xtr crank.

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from San Diego

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Strengths:    Handling, real solid feel, Headshock by far the best suspension on the market, no matter how light you build it it always feels solid and strong under you, very confidence inspiring

Weaknesses:    Stem choices really suck, they jump from 100mm to 120mm in length so no 110mm, and 5 degree angle to a 20degree angle. And without the ability to run spacers options are limited.

Bottom Line:
I'll be right behind Gary in line for the new Hollowgram Si frame. First bike in a long time I've kept longer than a year, and the first bike ever to be replaced with the same thing.

I've owned and raced a lot of bikes but this is by far my favorite out of all of them even the FS bikes. Theres just something about this bike maybe the geometry, or the tubing, but I am more comfortable going fast on this bike than any other I've owned/tried full suspension or hardtail.

I would recomend this bike to anyone thats a serious cyclist, weekend worriors might be better served with something a little more forgiving, but if you want raw speed this is your bike!

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S-Works HT, Trek 9.8, Trek STP 9.8, Moots Echo, Cannondale Scalpel, I've tried or own just about everything, work in a shop, ride that for a year sell it, ride that for a year etc. etc.

Bike Setup:   XTR, XT M755 discs, Hugi 240 X317 wheels, Headshock Ultra Fatty DL, 22lbs or so

Submitted by Gary a Racer from Malvern

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2004

Strengths:    FAST, light, precise, climbs like an angry goat.....did i say how FAST it feels.

Bottom Line:
I will order the first one they offer with the SI crankset and bb. I love this bike and is my second Cannondale hardtail in 4 years. Looking forward to a new 2005 as soon as I can get one. I can buy whatever I want. Not bragging but I can. I have been racing for 10 years and I know what is fluff and what is good stuff. Cannondale is huge because they make great bikes. I honestly can't figure out how anyone buys a bike without a headshock either. Way precise, no maintenence. The whole bike is like a little black Starship Enterprise! Warp Factor 9..........engage. Go buy one.

Purchased At:   frameset at Bike Authority

Similar Products Used:   Slingshot, StumpJumper, Rocky MTn Scandium Vertex, Dragon, Trek 8900

Bike Setup:   Avid mechanicals, XTR shift/brake pods, truvativ cranks, real disc wheels. All good stuff with no scarty carbon fiber.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Sayville

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff Lightweight Optimo Mountain Frame, XTR Rear Deraillure, Marta Disc brakes, Lockout on headshok.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of, but may go to XTR crank.

Bottom Line:
As always, Cannondale has produced another excellent product. This is my third Cannondale in a row, and I'm not sure how they do it, but each generation of frames is lighter, stiffer, and stronger than the last. Moving from a large f700 to a large Optimo mountain frame took a little adjustment (I'm six foot, 150 lbs, and I feel that the optimo is larger, and a little higher in standover height, but after a ride or two I forgot all about that). This bike accelerates very quickly, and the Marta disc brakes stop on a dime. The Cannondale ride can be a bit stiff on uneven downhill sections, but this is a hardtail we're talking about. If you love the uphill sections like I do, you can't go wrong with the f1000sl. There are other hardtails that offer softer rides (in my humble opinion), but this is probably the most efficient hardtail I've ever owned. As far as colors go, I still haven't made up my mind about the Sobe team colors, but the color doesn't make the bike.

Favorite Trail:   An Unknown, Un-named Fireroad

Purchased At:   Byron Lake Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale f700

Bike Setup:   Stock so far.

Submitted by Alessio a Cross Country Rider from Certaldo (FI), Italy

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2003

Strengths:    Stiffness, reactivity, ease of control (thanks also to Magura Martas), good traction, good asperities absorption (thanks to Fatty fork and tubeless tyres), good riding position...so, what could you ask more?

Weaknesses:    To split hairs, SRAM pinions, that sometimes make noise shifting to the two largest ones, and Scorpion tyres, that are good on hard ground but are quite slippery when wet. Of course it's not cheap

Bottom Line:
Having said that unfortunately in Europe the price is much higher than in USA, I must say that the quality of the overall product and all the details is very very high. The bike is at ease in every condition and you never feel it heavy. The easiness with which you raise it from the ground to avoid rocks or holes is astonishing, especially for me, since I'm a quite slim rider. Magura Martas allow you an incredible control of the bike: you are never too fast to stop. Tubeless wheelset, with the lower pressure allowed, filter ground asperities much better than normal wheels with tube, so that the bike is always stuck to the ground. This is also thanks to the Fatty fork that has a very smooth behaviour with its needle bearings instead of the normal bushings. The shifting is also very efficient and you don't remember having an LX front derailleur insted of an XT. The only component that doesn't satisfy me completely is the SRAM pinion cassette, that sometimes makes noise shifting to the 30 and 34 teeth. I think that once worn I'll replace it with a Shimano one. So in the end if you have enough money, you can buy this bike and you'll never feel disappointed, once you get used to tubeless tyres that at the beginning may feel a bit wooden due to lower pressure.

Favorite Trail:   Pian della Spina / Camaldoli

Purchased At:   Gippo Motorshop, Colle Val D'Elsa (SI), Italy

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S-Works 1999

Bike Setup:   Stock with a Specialized Body Geometry saddle and Ritchey pedals

Submitted by Daryl Roberts a Racer from Webster, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    Great selection of parts for the money. Cannondale really puts a lot of thought into the bikes they build.

Weaknesses:    Would really like a Lefty fork on this ride.

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike and bought it as a secondary race bike. When the conditions get muddy, this is the bike to do the job. I also ride a Scalpel 3000 (2003) and the Lefty fork is light years ahead of the Fatty fork. I just can't warrant the super-expensive upgrade of the Lefty. Anyways......the bike is great and I really enjoy the Marta brakes. With the upgraded parts, the bike is around 22.5 lbs in a large. I opted for the all black bike as it matches my all black Scalpel and is a much better looking bike than the Sobe colored one. I would recommend this bike to anyone, even if you do not upgrade it. The LX works just fine and I have ridden plenty of XTR triggers and cannot tell any difference. The only problem may be the inside mind telling you it should be XTR.

Favorite Trail:   Cameron Park

Purchased At:   Webster Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Older DEAN hardtail.

Bike Setup:   03 F1000SL (Black version), Easton carbon bar and post, Truvativ Firex team cranks, RF bottom bracket, SLR saddle, Stans No Tubes, Marta SL rotors, Titec Pork Rinds grips, Ritchey Pro pedals, XTR rear cassette on DT HUGI 240 rear hub w/Mavic 3.1 tubeless rim (24 spokes)........everything needed to help it lose the weight not needed.

Submitted by Reinaldo a Racer from san ysidro, ca USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Strengths:    Light, good components, climbs, crazy brakes, nimble a great bike all around and not that expensive, could get a few lighter parts. I bought because I started racing this year and I want it the best bang for my bucks. After 8 races and several thousands training miles not a single problem.

Weaknesses:    Well not really a weakness, just the tires wear fassssst. Also when I need brakes no one in the world had the, after 3 weeks finally found two sets on ebay. Also broken a few spokes.

Bottom Line:
Buy it if tou want a great troble free hard tail that climbs like a goat and is also light and made in the usa to boot.

Similar Products Used:   moab2 1999 I still have it.

Bike Setup:   Stock, with a selle light seat. might get the front shock revalve to slow down the rebound dampaning

Submitted by Bill Jordan a Racer from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Strengths:    Solid frame and wheelset
Good geometry and fit
headshock lock-out

Weaknesses:    I dont like the XTR / LX component mix
Hutchinson tires
Lizard green color

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike primarily for Adventure Racing. I wanted a solid bike with disc brakes, lockable fork and strong wheelset. The F1000SL fit that criteria and for a good price.
I have only owned the bike for a few days but my first ride was 40mi in Pisgah Nat'l forest. I really liked the fit and geometry of the bike. It handled various conditions/trails well. The lockable headshock was really nice for the long steep climbs and the Martas worked great for bombing backdown the other side. This is my first hardtail in awhile and I didnt notice as big of a difference as expected. The bike felt very tight and I could throw it into corners and over/around obstacles very easily.
I didnt like the performance of the Hutchinson Scorpion tires. On some of the steep climbs they tended to slip more than other tires I have ridden. The XTR/LX component mix is ok for regular weekend warrior riding but will need to be upgraded if you are looking for an out of the box race ready bike. The Lizard green (Team Sobe) colors on the 2003 model are horrible- but you will never lose your bike in a transition area!
Overall, I really like the bike. It offers a good overall set-up for a good price. To upgrade this bike to a solid XC race bike would not take much $$. I will continue to test the tires or just change them out. The LX components I will leave on there until they wear or break and the color- well you just have to get used to it or never wash your bike!

Favorite Trail:   anywhere in Pisgah

Purchased At:   Bike Source

Similar Products Used:   1st hard tail I've ridden in awhile. Currently also own a Fuel 100

Bike Setup:   100% stock

Submitted by Clem Kyle a Cross Country Rider from Banks, Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    Overall package, Frame Design, Head Shock

Bottom Line:
I have had a giant hardtail for the passed 3 years and finally decided to up grade to a Cannondale. I looked at X-country rear suspesion bikes and couldn't be bothered with all the set-up crap you have to do. I just got on this bike and took off, besides this bike is so light and with tubeless tyres you don't need a rear shock for XC riding. The Cannondale design and set-up makes this bike so easy to ride and my fatigue level has dropped dramatically.
I now know why all Cannondale bike owners love to ride so much.

Favorite Trail:   Was the MONT 24hr. (Burnt down)

Price Paid:    $2050.00

Purchased At:   Lonsdale Street Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Owned Giant ATX-860. Looked at Scapel, NRS-1, Epic

Bike Setup:   Australian version came with Head-shock not a Lefty and came in the Optimo frame colours.

Submitted by Cam a Racer from England

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2003

Strengths:    Super lightweight. Fast stiff frame, can't be beaten in a climb.

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
It's a stiff harsh ride, but put the right rider on it and nothing will beat it around the race course. The bike isn't built to take massive air and big drops. The bike is beautiful when it's clean at the start of a ride, but even better looking at the end when I'm waiting on the rest of the crowd to finish. The lefty is pricy to service and repair. Keep the S-works for muddy training rides (XT is cheaper to fix), but pull the Cannondale out for the races.

Favorite Trail:   Whitehorse Ranch complex - CO