Weyless 67 Freeride Bike 2003 Full Suspension

Seat: WTB Power V XL, 8mm Cromo Rails
Seatpost: Weyless 2014-T6 Alloy
Shifters: XT
Stem: Weyless DH
Tires: WTB Motoraptor Laser FR 2.4"

Submitted by pete disbury a Cross Country Rider from walnut creek, ca

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2006

Strengths:    So far the frame has held together with no major breakdowns and the Easton RAD tubing is fine so far. Solid frame thus far and the frame can handle the hits and decents.

Weaknesses:    Rear swing arm is off center so it tracks off camber.......... Frame was not faced and chased so the headset and bb come loose.

Bottom Line:
For my first real understanding of a full suspension bike.

Favorite Trail:   mitchell canyon, mt. diablo

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Yeti ASX, Giant VT-1, mountain cycle rumble.

Bike Setup:   Pike Race (05) fork, king headset, avid 8" mech discs, hope/singletrack wheels, kenda nevegals, thomson front and rear, sram X9 drivetrain and odi Rogue grips.

Submitted by Superman685 a Weekend Warrior from Tehachapi CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2005

Strengths:    Lots of suspension, looks tough

Weaknesses:    Heavy, weak frame, no lock outs,

Bottom Line:
Broke the frame coming down a firetrail with minor ruts. I bought this bike because I am 240lbs and needed something much heavier duty than a XC bike. Was disapointed with the bad welds and paint job. The rear swing arm broke at the rear stays. To me $2000 is a lot to spend on a bike and I expected much better performance. I am negotiating with Supergo to replace the frame. Will post after they make me an offer. I have read several reviews of riders breaking these frames, maybe this is why they have stopped making them.

Favorite Trail:   Mountain-Singletrack

Price Paid:    $1995.00

Purchased At:   supergo store Santa Monica

Similar Products Used:   kona, specialized stumpjumpercomp

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by nolan weekley a Downhiller from Rome, GA USA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2005

Strengths:    this thing was built to have the ever living crap beat out of it. i am a really aggressive big air drop of type of rider and this bike has handled everything that i can throw at it.

Weaknesses:    the rear derailer hanger is not something that you can just go and pick up it has to be ordered for the 67 frame. but i just make sure i have got one and i am good to go. some would say it's a little heavy which on paper it looks that way, but the bike doesn't feel that heavy to me though i could care less

Bottom Line:
i started this bike with just the frame and built it with what i wanted and i must say that it is an awesome piece of machinery. i have jumped it off of loading docks, rode it down the mountains like a wild indian, and anything else i can think of to just pretty much beat the hell outa it and the bike just takes it an smiles n just keeps on pluggin a long. it does great on the uphill climbs that i have done so far and when you come down it is like puttin a kid in a candy store. downhill this thing just eats up the mountain. you hardly have to do any work unless you are on the brakes b/c the bike just floats. this thing with to lower value is a steel and rides just as good as a 5000 bike. this bike is good for a beginner or a vet.

Favorite Trail:   poison spider

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz

Bike Setup:   weyless 67 frame with 4 way on rear, marz z150 with eta on frone, hayes hfx9's with 8 inch rotors, xt derailers and shfters, xtr cassette, truvativ hus crank, truvativ gigapipe titanium bb, bomshell dh wheels with tioga tires

Submitted by Tim Jimenez a Weekend Warrior from Moscow, ID

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2004

Strengths:    Price is the number one stregth. For less than $2000 you get a very well equipped bike.

Weaknesses:    Have broken the Truvativ Giga bottom bracket that it came with. Also broke one of the pedals. And lastly I just blew the seals in the manitou 6 way swinger it came with. Manitou fork has some play in it and is not wide enough to run mud oriented DH tires.

Bottom Line:
The bike is just a knock off of the Santa Cruz Bullit, but it is not US manufactured. So you still get the plush endless feeling from the suspention. I doubted the frames strength at first, but after breaking a bottom bracket, pedal, blowing a rear shock out, and creating much play in my sherman fork I'm convinced that it is a strong frame for the weight. I'm thinking about putting a 66 on it to get a more even suspention feeling. Sherman firefly doesn't have enough travel. Point is if you want a great freeride all purpose bike that will last and don't want to pay a fortune the 2003 Weyless 67 is a great choice

Favorite Trail:   anything on Moscow Mtn.

Purchased At:   Supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   lots of cross country and downhill bikes from friends.

Bike Setup:   I'm running basically the stock set up. I do run much wider tires then the stock 2.4 inch ones.

Submitted by Dave Dallman a Downhiller from Switzertland - Australia originally

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    Nice spec, good value, Swinger rear shock relly works, even with tax and shipping still cheaper than a similar new bike in oh-so-spendy Switzerland.

Weaknesses:    The paint is so soft it has already rubbed down to bare metal where the brake hoses and gear cables rub against the frame, after just 1 week of riding. Lots of scratches from hanging it on lift hooks even though they were covered in rubber or foam. Bit too much lateral movement in the rear, chain often comes off rings on bumpy sections. Thin, hard, handlebar grips.

Bottom Line:
Despite the paint and chain problems, this bike rocks! I thrashed it for a full week of DH and freeriding at Portes du Soleil and everything still works. I read the other reviews about slow delivery time and the wrong products, but my experience was exactly the opposite. It was delivered from the States to Switzerland in 3 business days. All I had to do to set it up to ride was put the wheels on, the stem on the fork (bars, brakes and shifters were already mounted), remove the gay reflectors from spokes and pedals (is that some US law or something?), mount the pedals and seat/post and I was done - it took about 30 minutes. I thought the Sherman seemed a bit soft when I tested it out on the street, I could bottom it by just pushing hard, but on the trails it didn't happen. On the rutted Les Gets 2 DH course, I swapped it for a run with my mates DH Kona with Monsters. We both agreed the Shermans soaked up the bumps better. I rode everything I usually ride my DH rig on with almost as much control. In the Morgins North Shore style freeride park, I really learned the advantages of a freeride bike. On big drops it never bottomed out front or rear and the lateral flex didn't seem to affect control. It was much easier to throw around on tight, steep, muddy sections than a DH bike. I am 6ft and got the 18" frame. I thought it might be a bit cramped in the cockpit, it seems stubby compared to my DH, but now I don't think so. This bike is not going to perform like an XC bike up hill because of the weight and geometry, but the swinger keeps it stiff when needed, especially during continuous pedal strokes. You'll get up there with some effort but screw that until the end of Sept. when the lifts close. If it wasn't for the soft paint and chain problems I'd give it 5's all round. Hope they have sorted that out for the 2004 version. The welds seem fine on my bike and anyway the frame has a 5 year warranty, so I hope it does break after 4.5 years! Could write more but you're probably bored, email if you like.

Favorite Trail:   All Portes du Soleil, Swiss and French parts

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   First freeride bike

Bike Setup:   Stock except I changed the grips to thicker, softer Race Face ones, the WTB junk gips have no right to be on a decent FR bike. Will add a DMR chain reactor or similar product to try and keep the chain in place and might add a bash guard and some chunkier tires.

Submitted by Sanj Chowdhary a Downhiller from Nottingham, UK (Robin Hood!)

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2003

Strengths:    The price, the spec, no one else in the UK has one. After sale customer service (nice one Randy!)

Weaknesses:    Paint job, Quality Control, weight, lateral flex, too much bob on uphills, didn't recieve everything and some parts were the wrong size etc, poor initial customer service, Import duty and Tax and the cost of shipping! If I had purchased the bike in the states it would have been $800 cheaper! I should have gone out and purchased it myself!

Bottom Line:
Firstly when purchasing the bike ensure that everything you order is compatible, I had asked on a number of occasions for supergo to tell me if there would be any compatibility problems, but I was told that there wasn't, how wrong they were!!!! They sent me the wrong front mech and the wheel set was not compatible with the forks! I ended up having to spend £100/$150 on new hubs and spokes. I didn't recieve the rear mech or the Atom lab ballistic peddles I ordered. I was over charged on the crankset the box was marked display and was priced $40 cheaper than I paid! The frame had chips on the paint work and the forks came without an upper brace! Despite this with the help of my local bike shop (Supercycles in Nottingham, Nice one guys!) I managed to pick up the parts I needed at trade prices (almost as cheap as the States)and they built the bike up for me at no extra charge. I have now been riding the bike for about three months and so far I have nothing but praise for it (although alittle too much bob when peddling hard, oh and the paint job is very very poor quality)I like to freeride and so far the bike has easily handled everything I have thrown at it. It inspires confidence which means I'm going bigger, higher and faster all the time. I hear the welds can be problematic but I'm hoping I don't encounter this problem as it's a pain in the arse to ship things over the pond and back. I wish I had known about the upgrades on the 2004 model as I would have gone for that instead but hey lifes a b!*ch! I would have given this bike a 4 out of 5 had I not of had all the problems and had to pay 30% more than in the States but even after everything I have a proformance bike at about half the price of a similar spec machine. My advice, if you're on a budget and want more for your money, give it a try, you'll be suprised!

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS1000, Cannondale Super V1000

Bike Setup:   2003 Boxxer Race, XTR front and rear mech, XT shifters, Truative hollzfeller DH crank set, Sun rhino rims, Hayse HFX disk brakes, Hope bulbs, IRC Kujo DH tyres, Carbon risers

Submitted by Terrence a Weekend Warrior from Chandler AZ USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2003

Strengths:    Price, shocks

Weaknesses:    Lateral flex

Bottom Line:
Hmmm, bottom line is this bike is a decent deal for the money. The rear suspension feels bottomless. I rode the one with the swinger. Very tuneable shock. Would definately benefit from a longer travel fork. The 120mm Sherman gives this bike more of a xc feel. This is no xc bike. Way too heavy for that. I don't know the weight of the complete bike, but the frame weighs approximately 9.5lbs with the swinger(on supergo's scale). Not for weight weenies.

I only demoed this bike in the supergo parking lot. I found some steps to blast off of maybe equivalent to a 2 foot drop. Not much of a test for a long travel bike, but I got the feeling that this bike is meant to take a pounding. The landing was ultra plush thanks to the swinger, and the sherman was doing its job up front. Going up the stairs full bore yielded the same result. I did feel some lateral flex when I hopped up on a curb, and I felt it again when I launched off of a speed bump. I was seriously considering building this frame until that. But that is my own personal preference. Overall, this is a solid ride for the money.

Favorite Trail:   National

Similar Products Used:   lots

Submitted by Francis Coulombe a Downhiller from Florida

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Strengths:    Rides like my yamaha! feels like a dirt bike and it makes my haro extreme, Gary fisher, and my KHS, look like kids bikes. I only have junk parts on it now besides a few good ones, but it feels like a kickin bike. I liked the price and I dont think there is another bike out there that looks as cool as the weyless 67 freeride 2004. It looks like pure death coming down a hill. Only problem is I have only small hills in Florida, I cant wait till I bring it out west. I seen a post on this page from another guy saying that the weyless is a junk bike, This is to you, you wanabee bike freek!!! The weyless is to much of a bike for you. Stick to riding on your huffy!!! This bike is only for people who want to ride the best bikes.

Weaknesses:    Does not come with the 10 mm drop out stock. They are hard to bargin with, very strict on there prices. And now I see why.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this bike is a very sweet ride, and it looks like a monster (gun Metal) Who ever thought of puting this bike in that color was a smart guy. He knows a cool bike when he paints one. Middle line is I will run over any bike freek I see riding on a Specialized bike!

Favorite Trail:   Washington states Pacific crest trail north from bridge of the gods!!

Purchased At:   supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   KHS, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, Haro

Bike Setup:   Mostly old parts off my haro Extreme, but some new ones. I had some awsome pro's at Florida's Bicycle world set it up, And man did they make them junk parts look good.

Submitted by Scott from Alaska

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
I wanted to update my earlier review. After I first posted about the 67 here on MTBR I was contacted by the Steve, the Product Manager for Supergo and Weyless bikes. I was impressed that he took the time to phone me and give me an explaination to my complaints.

The water bottle mounts were only installed on the first prototype frame and then they were dropped because he found that the extra welding needed for the bosses would weaken the area on the downtube in front of the pivot. He didn't realize that Supergo was advertising the bike with water bottle bosses so he had them change the website ad because of my post.

He aslo said the seat tubes are slightly curved on all the 67's. The reasoning is that the curved post allows for tire clearence when bottoming out in the 7" position since the bike is equipped with relativly short chainstays to give it quicker handling. The seat post only needs 80mm of length to be stuck in the frame when it is raised to full extension. I was able to shorten my post so that it now lowers further down. Because of the way the seat tube is constructed, only the upper 80mm is actually gripping the post. After that the tubing walls become thinner so they don't even touch the post when it is lowered all the way down.

I finally received my owner's manual after contacting Supergo and see they have a 5yr warranty on the frame. I also noticed they have that info on the website as well.

Anyway, I dig my bike and I feel a lot better about Supergo since Steve took the time to talk to me about my concerns. That makes a big difference to me. If anyone else has questions just email me. For the earlier post on soft paint, I have not noticed any problems and my bike looks fine.

Submitted by scott from Alaska

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame but wanted to comment on QC issues. My frame arrived without any water bottle bosses and the seat tube had a slight curve to it. I've studied the pics on the Supergo website and believe all the frames to have slightly curved seat tubes. Because of the curve you can't lower the seat down all the way. What pisses me off is that their ad states "lowering the seat for decents" and mentions the water bottle mounts but they didn't provide either. I got a small discount for the problems but I really wanted a replacement frame and they said they didn't have any.

Complaining aside, overall my frame is very nice. My bike (see the frame reviews) weighs 35lbs and rides very plush. The frame is in great shape and I don't have any weld issues so that is good.

The sales guy at Supergo said the frame is being redesigned so it will be interesting to see what they come up with. I like mine and also feel at lot better about riding around on a frame that cost less than half of a Bullit and but still offers great performance and two travel options. I'd love to have a Santa Cruz but I think half the cost of that frame is for the name. Why pay twice as much for something when they are both built in Taiwan?

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2003

Strengths:    cheap

Weaknesses:    takes forever to get it, bad welds, poor QC, a bad design.

Bottom Line:
what a rippoff! the welds are terrible! this is just another cheap copy. get a quality hardtail for the same money and you'll be much better off. I would recomend this bike to posers because they don't do anything anyways, so the bike will be fine. If you know what a drop, jump, gap, teeter totter, even a kerb is dont spend your money on this.

Favorite Trail:   quick hit