Tomac Six Shooter 2003 Full Suspension

4.09/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by Jon82 a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2009

Strengths:    Tomac Overbuilt as standard

Bottom Line:
A great allrounder the Boxxers give it the big hit ability and it takes eveything thrown at it. spent alot on it but it was worth it a solid performing setup. However i ran it with some Tora's for a weekend as was going for a long XC weekend and it does not like going up hills with the boxxers on without using the rear lockout again performed well

Favorite Trail:   Wharncliffe

Purchased At:   Had it custom built

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky, Santacruz

Bike Setup:   Standard frame, Boxxers, Halo SAS wheels, full XT Drivetrain, hope mono 6ti front m4 rear 205mm floating discs,crank brothers 5050 pedals and every lizard skin product known to man (was a good idea at the time)

Submitted by paul morrison a Downhiller from spain.tenerife.canaries

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2007

Strengths:    great all rounder, copes with all types of terrain without a problem

Weaknesses:    shock mounts ,rear hanger weak ,sad paint job ,rear shock .needs sprung shock for harder hits

Bottom Line:
great bike ,dont no what id change it for .heavyish but a solid ride ,best bike yet for me ....cant find rear hangers anywere (spain,uk)

Favorite Trail:   teide(mountain )

Purchased At:   madrid.spain

Similar Products Used:   stinky.massi toro fr .swinn ht .claud butler.marin

Bike Setup:   matt black (looks great)2.5 maxxis,double tracks 20mm.145mm nixon.full xt 06 DC 203mm.ss hoses.31.8 on off,selle italia ,ritchey comp, (not 1 factory part left)

Submitted by Matt a Racer from Texas

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2006

Strengths:    light weight and agile

Weaknesses:    rear suspension bolts

Bottom Line:
Great bike for what it was designed for. Just stay away from the Wal-Mart (painted rivets) paint job.

Bike Setup:   all mountain

Submitted by Stevie-San a Cross Country Rider from Central Maine

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2005

Strengths:    Price for quality (xt, xtr, Manitou Sherm, etc etc etc...). Ability to build rider confidence, take hits, and FLY downhill (this m********cker cruises without any love taps or flinches). The Manitou Sherman Flick is amazing. People think you are a superhero when they see the riveted silver Desert Eagle swooping down for the kill.

Weaknesses:    People also laugh at the paint job (or they wanna know if Mongoose makes it...). The fox floater and Cane Creek C-2 (which started CREEKing already) completely suck. The IRC's are horrible in mud and wet stuff. But those are just components and I got a great deal on the bike. My only MAJOR problem is the weight, which cannot be the advertised 28 pounds (got Kenda Karismas coming which should help...). Best guess is a 34 pounder here.

Bottom Line:
This is truly a half-breed pig-child, well equiped for heavy XC and light Downhilling/light freeride. I would stop after the 5 footers due to the Fox FloatRL. The components alone are worth the money I paid for this. It needs a diet, but the thing is solid and took everything in my way except chewed ATV mud (which was like 3 feet deep anyway). Attacks roots, baby heads, and good sized drops. Fun (use the word loosely) to look at if you have a good sense of humor. A Manitou Swinger or Cane Creek Cloud Nine would be a better match for this bike, as would a King headset. I am having fun on this bike and I do some freeriding in town but mostly trail stuff. This bike is definately a descender and the climbs have been okay as long as you use brute force and avoid hanging too far back on the bike. With such a thick frame, it looks beefy which I like. My plan is to swap everything over to a Ellsworth ID or Tomac Eli once I see one in my budget and to give the frame to my girlfriend.

It took me many months of review reading on bikes to choose one, and while at first the 2003 6 shooter review was not super high, I went for it anyway (the 2002 got pretty good reviews and I figured they could not be that much different at all). I had to sell one of my favorite flyrods (biking is my 2nd sport)to afford a nicer bike, but it was all worth it. If you are on a budget and want to have lots of fun and keep up with your XC friends and own their a$$es on the downhill, get this bike. The place on ebay where I got mine still has some by the looks of it. 5/4 for this one so far!

Favorite Trail:   everywhere in western ME

Purchased At:   Preownedbikes (Ebay)

Similar Products Used:   2 GT Timberlines, GT I-Drive, Trek OCLV y-22 Carbon.

Bike Setup:   Stock except the Crank Brothers Mallets, which make this bike more freeride friendly. Kenda Karismas coming.

Submitted by Matt a Downhiller from Kennewick WA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2005

Strengths:    Sweet componets. Light for full suspension. Sucks up everything on the decents. Love the paint job. Sherman fork are unbelieveable!

Weaknesses:    Have't found any yet. I will do a follow up posting after me first race on it.

Bottom Line:
Pre owned bikes are selling them CHEAP. I like that, 1 rotor what bent during shiping and they sent me a new one in 2 days. Great C.S.
My last bike was a hardtail and this thing is PLUSH. Riding it on the street I thought that it was WAY to plush then I took it down the hill and WOW. I was shocked how fast I was going,

Purchased At:   preownedbikes.com

Bike Setup:   stock except FSA xc300 rims

Submitted by Ty a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga, Tn, USA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2004

Strengths:    Fun to ride. Lots of travel that really eats up the bumps. This bike gives you much confidence. Goes downhill without to much thought of picking aline, for the suspension will take about whatever you run into. Climbs good too. I thought that it climbed as good as my hardtail for awhile, and then I rode my hardtail and I could climb better on that now. I really like the components, xtr, xt, fox, sherman.

Weaknesses:    Frame. Already cracked the frame near the headset. It makes a clicking noise when brakes are applied. Weak derailur hanger. It bent so easily.

Bottom Line:
For what I paid for it if it didn't break would be a good deal, but since it already frame already cracked I wouldn't recommend this bike.

Submitted by Yo Mama a Weekend Warrior from sin city

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2004

Strengths:    Race Face DH Cranks, wheels, xt/xtr drive train. 3 year warrenty.

Weaknesses:    Would not consider "free ride" bike. More like an aggressive XC bike.

Bottom Line:
Used my 6Shooter at numerous races in 2003 including a 24 hour and the VT50. Light wheels & this bike will fly. 6 inches in the rear is progressive & doesn't bob excessivly. Fox shock w lock out has performed flawlessly. Great value if you can still get it at $1500....

Favorite Trail:   Bow Ridge Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   WheelWorld.com

Similar Products Used:   Bullit

Bike Setup:   Sold Manitou Black fork and replaced with Marzocchi FR SL fork. Stock components.

Submitted by Curt a Weekend Warrior from Midway City

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2003

Strengths:    Tomac

Weaknesses:    Poor pivot location, cheep paint jog horrible very long unsupported seat mast.

Bottom Line:
1 demo ride and it couldnt servive that. There is the last supported part of the seatmast with the shock mounts underneath it and they chose that point to butt weld 2 peices of oval tubing together. About 2/3 through Noble Canyon at the end of stairway to hell I hear a loud bang and the entire seat mast falls away aft of that weld. you could see that the weld didn't peatrate very much. On top of that I was at supergo and noticed that in the service department they remove the made in tiawan stickers from the frames and pawn them off as made in USA, and that that is the owners policy, which is illeagal. The employees actually get in trouble if they forget to remove the stickers. 1 chili because this doesn't allow negative ratings.

Favorite Trail:   Downeyville

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Bullit, weasel, Uzzi dh

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Jonez from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2003

Strengths:    The components. Nicely Spec'd.

Weaknesses:    The Frame. EVERYTHING about this frame is mediocre. That eagle paintjob is the ugliest paintjob on any bike. Come on, fake rivets?

Bottom Line:
The parts are great.
The frame is not.

I can't believe that Tomac has been pedalling this piece of low tech frame for even this long. First off, a single pivot bike at this price and travel NEEDS a Progressive or Manitou Swinger shock, absolutely no excuses when even Supergo is selling their superbland Weyless 67 bike with a Swinger shock.

Then there is that god-awful paint job. I mean that paintjob would look great in a comic book, but in real life it looks like a bike from Walmart or from GI Joe.

I am just glad that I didn't spend my own money on this bike. A client of mine went under and gave me this bike as payment for some of my work what was unpaid. So I took it.
But I sold this bike after a month.

Tomac bikes are highly overpriced for the old technololgy that they are, and this 6 Shooter is a perfect example of this.

If you want a long travel huckering bike, go get something else; Bullit, Weyless, Giant AC, etc.