Tomac Revolver Pro 2003 Full Suspension

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by scott a Racer from phoenix, az

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    this is a great bike. I have enjoyed countless hours in the saddle. I purchased the bike rode hard for about a year and put it away...while away many of my fellow riders began to purchase other highend bikes and started racing. I have lost some wind but the bike is still awsome it handles great and is a bomber down the hills

Weaknesses:    there is only one problem that I have had with the bike thus far...finding parts not component parts but tomac parts recently I broke the rear derailleur hanger and it has been a pain to try and locate a new one. other than that I am happy with the bike

Bottom Line:
the bottom line if you are looking for a great all around bike this is it I have lock out suspension and it's a comfortable ride to the mountain as well

Purchased At:   tommy o

Similar Products Used:   I have riden many other bikes from santa cruz blur to ellsworth and they all felt great when purchasing a bike in this price range you should be able to test ride them

Bike Setup:   I have shram x-9 components all around I do have an xt front and hubs and a crane creek neck pretty stock in the box I think I bought it used and have had no problems with either speed or shifting, all my buddies swear by xtr but they also swear when I pass them :)

Submitted by Ballard Edwards from NYC, NY

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2005

Strengths:    Not only is it light, fast, agile, and comfortably inspiring. You can rock it fast with it's great acceleration. As a Yo Eddy riding x-c sport master racer it is the perfect step up bike,(dual from hardtail). Love these tubeless tires. Now I can tell all the road guys I've ridden tubulars. Not being used to disks I've found that sometimes their a bit too senitive when your bouncing off of roots n'rocks. I also like the minimalist saddle, it's small but comfortable.

Weaknesses:    ...least happy with Fox rear shock. Thinking of buying their newer version/anti bob mechanism. I'm still getting used to riding so high up on a bike, the up swing handle bars, so I inverted the stem. I changed the drive train to Sram. The stem was replaced by a Thompson. The headset to Chris King. The Karma's are tight but I got a few punctures. (What a pain repairing tubeless tires...am going to go "Stan's" way.

Bottom Line:
With a ride like this I just smile...plus you're riding a bike designed by John Tomac himself, the bike wizzard. The man who, during a World Cup race at Mt Snow, ran into an idiot spectator who had wandered onto the course, disabiling his front brake, rode the entire race and came in third...with no front brake at Mt Snow...whew. Lets not forget the bike designer Doug Bradbury. He has proven designs in alot of today's bikes. The pedigree is impectable. The ride superbly nimble. "cann't get enough of my Sugar Crisps"...inside out

Favorite Trail:   South Mountain

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Grass Roots Team

Similar Products Used:   Yeti...(their cross equivalent), Kona (not really a fair comparison), Litespeed Obed

Bike Setup:   Monkey Lite High Rise bars, Chris King headset, Sram driven train except I run KMZ chains, Magura Louise brakes, Cross Rock wheel set disk/tubless, Serfer grips, a cut to size kevlar Rickie well-worn semi slick tire zip locked to bottom of down tube. Tires...front Specialized Enduro Pro...rear Hutch Spider. Stock saddle.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from West Babylon, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2004

Strengths:    Extremely Light, climbs unbelievably, great componants.

Weaknesses:    Haven't had the bike long but the magura louise disk breaks seem a little weak, they are constantly squeeking and grinding.

Bottom Line:
The minute I took the test bike out I knew I wanted it. It fit me perfectly. Much lighter than the other bikes and it climbs better and is very fast. The steering is very light so it is a little scary going downhill at first but I got used to it fast. This bike lists for $2700 but I got a great deal on it. Just hope it holds up.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point

Price Paid:    $2050.00

Purchased At:   Rocky Point Bikes

Similar Products Used:   2004 Iron Horse Hollow Point Expert RL, Specialized StuntJumper FSR Pro Disk, Jamis dakar XLT2

Bike Setup:   Serfas Tarazzo Saddle, Xpedo Mountain Force Mag TI, Michelin Tubeless XL S, the rest of the bike is stock.

Submitted by TDI a Weekend Warrior from Laguna Hills, Ca

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2003

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, fast, stiff, fast, light. Got a great deal on the frame.

Weaknesses:    Black and yellow frame only comes on the complete bike, so I had to settle for the red frame. Once I saw the red frame in person it looked much better than in the pictures. One of the bottom water bottle bolts fell out!

Bottom Line:
This is probably one of the best XC bikes you can buy. In fact, it's better than yours! I expected a lot from this bike before I put it together and started thinking maybe I was expecting too much. Once I rode this bike I realized I hadn't expected enough. This bike is Awesome! The combination of the Manitou Skareb forks works great with this frame. I can climb hills out of the saddle without locking anything out and I get less bobbing than I do on my hardtail (w/susp. forks). This bike is very light for a full suspension bike, it's even lighter than my hardtail and it loves to go fast. If there is one thing I don't like, it's that it seems like no one has heard of these bikes. That is a real shame because Tomac bikes are probably the best you can find. I gave this bike 5 chilis for value, but I would give it more if possible. I've only put about $2,300 into this bike and it will outperform bikes that cost $3,000 or more.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full suspension bike, but it beats the hell out of any hard tails I've ever been on.

Bike Setup:   Revolver pro frame, Skareb super forks, '03 XTR cranks, '02 XTR rear derailer, XT front, XT Shifters, Avid Mech. disk w/Ti levers, Answer pro taper Carbon bars, Weyless stem and post, Selle Italia Flite Ti seat (Ouch, will probably replace with a WTB) Deore/Sun DS2-XC wheels. Kenda Klimax light tires.

Submitted by Dave Ramos from Ontario

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2003

Strengths:    Light, stiff, agile, rliable

Weaknesses:    Nobody has ever seen one before, not really a weakness but in this world where gucci values seems to mean more than rider ability it makes sense.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my previous review. I love this bike, it does whatever I want it to, it descends fast, climbs like a goat, and handles single track with ease. I look foreward to riding more than I have in years, Tomac and Bradburry have done themselves well with this bike. I can and will recomend this bike to any racer or recreational rider.

Favorite Trail:   Anything near a good bar

Submitted by Dave Ramos a Cross Country Rider from Ontrio, California

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2003

Strengths:    Light, agile, corners well, lateraly stiff.

Weaknesses:    None yet, will update the review after some more trail time.

Bottom Line:
The bike accelerates well even without the lockout, can climb out of the saddle with minimal bobbing and corners like you are on rails. Is a tad nervous at high descending speeds, but then again this is not a down hill bike. The modified single pivot rear suspension works very well and should be easy to keep up. This is a fun, fast bike that would be at home on any cross country race course. I plan on keeping this one for a long time. I will give it four chiles because I have had it for less than 1 month and do not know about durability yet.

Favorite Trail:   What ever my bloated hiney can handle at the time

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz, Jamis, Foes.

Bike Setup:   Hope Hubs, Hope Minis, Chris King Headset, Truvativ Stylo Team Crank, XTR/XT drive train, Easton EC70 Bar, Thomson Stem and Post.