Tomac 98 Special 2003 Full Suspension

Submitted by Kim a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2008

Strengths:    It's very pretty and decent components for the price.

Weaknesses:    The frame is very weak and it absolutely WILL break. Do a search for broken tomac and you will see what I mean. American Bicycle Group should be ashamed.

Bottom Line:
This WAS a very nice riding bike....until the chain stays broke in half. It was never ridded hard at all. I live in Florida and it is all soft terrain here. American Bicycle Groups customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. The head of the warranty dept. actually hung up on me. NEVER buy any of their bikes or you WILL be sorry!! You have been warned.

Purchased At:   Flatland Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Never owned a bike this poorly made.

Bike Setup:   stock except for wtb seat, wtb tires, and candy sl pedals

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from New York, USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2006

Strengths:    great bike for xc riding, takes tech. trails well and dh sections as well.

Weaknesses:    brake lines are placed in weird area causing exsecive wear on the frame

Bottom Line:
this bike is great for xc riding, it takes technical sections well. turning is excellent. very light. only problem is if you break a frame, can't get another tomac since tomac doesn't own the rights of the bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Glacier Ridge

Purchased At:   Rocky Point Cycles

Bike Setup:   easton monkey lite xc, bb7 avid brakes, xt everything, xpedo pedals.

Submitted by Mirko a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2005

Strengths:    Great Geometry on the frame. Awesome climber. I love the Manitou Black fork. It eats up the rocks and is not too plush on climbs. Just perfect.

Weaknesses:    Some of the components could be better. Hard to get weight forward on steep climbs. (Installed bar ends that solved the problem)

Bottom Line:
For the $700 I paid at Preownedbikes.com this is a hell of a bike. I used to ride a hard tail and there is no comparison. It truly put the joy back into riding. Preownedbikes.com is an outstanding place to get a bike. Great customer service and the bike looked and feels like brand new.

Purchased At:   Preowned Bikes.com

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the bar ends

Submitted by Kenny a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2004

Strengths:    Good climber - Confident descender - Plush rear for only 4 inches of travel
Comfortable bike for me

Weaknesses:    Weak component spec - Bottom bracket creak/which was fixed by LBS

Bottom Line:
Paying only 1200 bucks for this bike is almost a steal. Some components are completely lame. At MSRP of 1600 I would expect better. Great rider position, climbs and descends better than any other bike I've had. Almost No-BOB and plush. Freeride lite! Value rating reflects price paid - not MSRP.

Similar Products Used:   GT Team LTS - Specialized StumpJumper

Bike Setup:   Stock except - Answer 2inch Riser Bars - Azonic AFrame Pedals - Bontrager saddle

Submitted by Randy a Cross Country Rider from San Clemente, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2004

Strengths:    Beautifully made frame, great supension w/very little bob, stable point & shoot handling, great on descents

Weaknesses:    Doesn't climb steep terrain very well, could be lighter, BB creak, some cheap componentry, no lockout on R. shock

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price I paid. Black Comp fork works reasonably well and is stiff. Rear susp. is very efficient and although active all the time, no issues with bob. 4 inches of travel seems more than adequate with a 100mm up front. Would be nice to have a lockout on long climbs though. I chose it for the long top tube and great ergonomics (v. similar to the Jekyll). You feel like your riding in the bike rather than perched on it. Very smooth, stable ride and super confident on descents. Climbs long, gradual uphills like a goat but front-end wanders badly on slow, steep grinds (relaxed geometry?). Difficult to get your weight forward for grinding up hills and standing up doesn't help (R. breaks loose, new WTB tires may help here). Some cost saving in componentry choices but you wouldn't know it by riding it, feels very smooth and integrated. Tomac brand stuff is decent (seat is quite good). Around here, it seems like 70% of bikes are Specialized so nice to have a unique ride. BTW: I'm 5'10 - 155lbs and ride aggressive XC, no hucking, etc. I've read spme review where breakage is a prob. but my frame seems v. beefy and welds are beautifully executed. Iin fact that I assumed it was american-made since Supergo takes the "made in Taiwan" stickers off!
Value ratingbelow is for sale price I got. Have fun, ride hard.

Favorite Trail:   El Moro

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Stumpy FSR, Sugar 3+, Jekyll 600

Bike Setup:   Easton flat bars, WTB Epicwolf tires, Shiman spd pedals

Submitted by Bill from Boise, Idaho

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2003

Strengths:    This bike handles a variety of situations very well. The suspension design works great for me, no lockout but no need for it. I'm a strong uphill rider, and I've noticed no discernable bob while in the middle ring on tough grinds. I have noticed substantial hookup from a properly designed suspension that stays active at all times, under high chain tension and while braking. Workmanship seems good thus far. I have the large which has a bent top tube for additional clearance, thank you John. I demo'd an Epic just the other day and I much prefer the type of ride that my Tomac yields, much more plush going down and only slightly more sluggish going up. The Black Elite that somehow came on my bike is great, in 3" travel the bike loves to leap and climb, in 4" mode it just eats up gnarly descents and rock gardens. And, the fork is stiffer than my old Marzochhi Z2 Atom Race ever dreamt of being. One more thing, the stock seat is amazing; I don't know who is building it for Tomac but it works great.

Weaknesses:    IMHO, the use of a 31.6mm seat tube is a bit of a draw back, only since 27.2mm is so much more commonplace.

Bottom Line:
It's a poor man's Racer X, same suspension design, almost identical point-and-shoot handling qualities. This bike suits the needs of anyone looking for an affordable XC dualie that's is well built and well thought out at the same time. A great epic machine, can't wait to take it to Moab.

Similar Products Used:   Klein Adept Comp, Mrazek BohFX, Sandvik ti hardtail, demo'd lots of the usual suspects, although I've yet to ride a Santa Cruz, like to try that sometime.

Bike Setup:   Stock, swapped out rapid fire for grip shift and stock tires for Fire XC's

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Strengths:    This is an excellent bike. Rear shock Bob is very minimal.

Weaknesses:    None as of yet.

Bottom Line:
The Bike works great overall. I havent had any problems so far. The bike could come with better components.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point