Specialized Enduro Comp 2003 Full Suspension

4.6/5 (35 Reviews)
MSRP : $1950.00

Submitted by aceospades1250 a Cross Country Rider from Aliso Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome frame, good components. Pretty durable overall. Also 27lbs is really light for a FS bike like this. I love this bike, it fits me so well. My only complaint is the fork (Marzocchi 2003 MXComp) isn't quite up to par with the rest of the bike.

Weaknesses:    The fork isn't great. Disk rotors are very small compared to most FS bikes. Seatpost is too short for me.

Bottom Line:
Unbeatable bike for what I paid for it. It fits me like a glove, even for a bigger guy like me. The rear Fox float doesn't lock out but has an "Itch Switch" (100mm - 133mm) that makes climbing a bit easier. I've replaced the stock SPD pedals with Crank Bros Candy Cs and I like them better. If you are like me and 200lbs+ the rotors will be too small for you. The caliper mechanism feels very precise though.

Overall this bike will still outperform my friends 2008-2009 model bikes that cost over $1500. Great deal even at MSRP, and for $500 its unbeatable.

Favorite Trail:   Rock-it

Purchased At:   my dad

Similar Products Used:   2009 GT Force 3.0, 2008 Giant Trance X1, K2 Factory 4.0, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Bike Setup:   Everything stock except I've added Candy C pedals and a different saddle (WTB Speed V)

Submitted by Werner Ennesser a Racer from Herndon, Va, USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2008

Strengths:    Very Solid Bike, Excellent freeride bike.

Weaknesses:    Weight of bike for XC races

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, It's like it was built just for me. It's very comortable when riding, the lock outs make riding the hills much easier along with the adjustable travel. It's very smooth on small drops, never took any big hits with it. Very low maintenance on this bike also and very easy to work on and adjust. I highly recomend this bike to any one who is into free riding.

Favorite Trail:   Diablo Freeride park

Purchased At:   Peirmont Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Marin, KHS

Bike Setup:   Changed the front air shock to a hydraulic shockwith lock out and adjustable travel, changed rear shockfrom an air shock to a spring shock, Changed brakes from shimano to hayes disk, Changed tires to Kenda's

Submitted by Gixxer Stunter a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2006

Strengths:    Frame is solid, for what I use it for unlike some of the reviews I read about them doing 10 feet drops..what the hell this is NOT a TRUE downhill bike, I do go downhill but dont take massive drops...

Weaknesses:    It's hard to say since I got the bike used, I guess the seat for one and I'm not impressed
with the 555 brakes and the crank was making some noise when I got the bike.
I've since replaced almost everything off this bike only stock part left are the breaks and frame
and the brakes will be changed over the winter.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is I would of never put this much money into this bike but since I got Amazing deals on all my parts, I did if ever the frame breaks like some have said and Specialized give me a hard time all I need is to buy a real good downhill frame and put all my parts on it.

I paid 900$ bike and got another 1000$ into part.
Hell the front forks alone cost that...

I really like my bike with all the mods thats for sure.
I dont think I could of bought any bike for 1900$ and have all these parts on it.

Favorite Trail:   Camp Fortune only cause its close to home

Purchased At:   From a Friend

Similar Products Used:   None this is my first Full Suspension Mountain Bike.

Bike Setup:   I've got most of these part used at a great deal that's why I put soo many parts on this bike.
Manitou Sherman Slider Plus, Custom made stem from a buddy of mine who is a machinist, Easton Monkey Lite handlebars,
Sun-Ringle RPM XXL rims, Manitou Swinger SPV Air rear shock, Truvativ Hussefelt Crank, Shimano Saint Rear Derailleur, Thomson Elite seat post.

Breaks are the next thing to get upgraded just haven't made my mind on what I want yet.

Submitted by Joshua a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2005

Strengths:    Priced well. Decends very very well. Great trail bike. Well designed geometry.

Weaknesses:    Very heavy. I actually disagree with some of the below comments, as I do not think it climbs well...not bad, but not well. Psylo fork is really weak. Cheapo Specialized components.

Bottom Line:
Overall, a good bike for the money. Rides well on the trails and decends well. Components on it are cheap, but then again you get a lot of bike for the money.

Purchased At:   Center Cycle (Renton, WA)

Similar Products Used:   Jamis XLT, Fisher Cake, Giant VT

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2005

Strengths:    4 bar rear suspension, climbs very well, descends just as well if not better

Weaknesses:    the infamous chainsuck :(

Bottom Line:
I wanted a bike with more travel than the Stumpjumper, and that could climb as well, under $1500. I had a chance to ride the '03 Pro a few months back, and that sold me on the bike to get. I ended up finding the Comp on sale, and haven't regretted it since. I added the Float RL in the back, and with lockout this bike is an amazing climber. It descends amazingly on tech trails. I've been able to take harder lines on this bike with no problems.

Favorite Trail:   Severe

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   '99 Stumpjumper Comp

Bike Setup:   '05 Pike Race, Float RL w/Itch switch, XT/XTR Components, Avid Mech Disk Brakes

Submitted by Malcolm Jeffrey a Cross Country Rider from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2004

Strengths:    Wow, this bike was amazing. At the time of looking for a new bike, my previous being a 2001 Scott Expert Racing (another great bike!! superb climber, pity that I broke 6 back wheels on it, riding it on trails for which it was not designed), I had only one criteria. Match my riding style. Rear wheels are expensive after a while!!!
I checked out a GT I-Drive 2.0, and a Giant AC3.
It was pretty much a Goldilocks story. The GT too stiff, and felt fragile, the AC3, too fat for the riding I do, but the Enduro was just right, but $2k more NZ dollars than my budget!!! Well worth it though. It climbs well, its a great handling rig for downhills, and while I am not as fast as my free riding buddies on there Kona Stinkies, and Big Hits, I still feel fresh after a climb!! Lovely.

Weaknesses:    I had to have the rear shock, a Fox Float R, rebuilt after about 4 months, but this came back very very smooth, and the Psylo's just before the warranty ran out!! Thanks warranty. Also I found the 555 Brakes behave a little queer when the pads are ultra low, ie, the pistons don't seem to retract as far as they should, resulting in brake rub.

Bottom Line:
A fantastic bike!! I am only a little gutted that I bought this at the end of the season, without waiting for a 2004 bike, which may have got me pro-pedal. That said, I totally love every moment of riding the bike.

Whats broken? Only the rear derailleur is what I can only describe as a freak moment. No crash, just a filthy big rock smashing its way through. Stink.

I am an instant Specialised fan, and may even switch my road bike from Giant preference, to Specialized, who knows...

To anyone thinking about buying an all purpose, all mountain bike, then the enduro range is about the best in my opinion. Its just what components that you want, that will help you choose the model. I would say that you are a rider that likes Cross Country, but also the odd challenge of going fast down tight single track, you aren't scared of drops, and you'll ride over just about anything.

Hope this helps anyone looking at a current model, as well as perhaps the secondhand market!!

Favorite Trail:   Whakarewarewa Forest!!!

Purchased At:   On Yer Bike, Wellington

Similar Products Used:   As mentioned above, I tried the AC3 and the i-Drive 2.0. Both of these are great bikes in their own right, but they really didn't match the riding I do as well as the Enduro

Bike Setup:   Standard out of the box. Rock Shox Psylo XC U-Turns, Fox FloatR, Shimano 555 Hydraulic discs, god awful seat, XT rear, LX front.

Submitted by Galen Day a Cross Country Rider from Paoli, PA USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2004

Strengths:    Solid product. My equation was a ratio of price to weight to travel. This got me 5 inches of travel on a bike that weights under 30 pounds for only $1850. I could not find a better deal. Let me know if you can.

Weaknesses:    Rear linkage and bottom bracket developed banging sounds at about the 8 month mark. Specialized replaced both free of charge. Very happy with thier customer service.

Bottom Line:
The best value I found for a cross country rider that really likes the downhills. I have taken the bike to a few ski areas and it does well. If you can only afford one bike. I think this is the bes solution under $2K.

Favorite Trail:   Frech Creek

Bike Setup:   Stock except. New larger tires and an 8 inch Hayes HD front disc.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from burke

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2004

Strengths:    first off an awesome bike. the tires, the fox shock, and the phylo fork all awesome. This is an all around trail bike that can take on almost anything you can throw at it

Weaknesses:    the seat is a little uncomfortable, and get some new pedals for it

Bottom Line:
Some bikes are awesome but ridiculously over priced, this bike will match all those bikes but still have a lower price. Also as long as you are between 140 and 175 the shocks shouldnt bottom out on you. You can just have fun with this bike, its a ton of fun to ride and everything is smooth. There are better bikes out there but for the price this bike cannot be beat!

Favorite Trail:   anything colorado

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Purchased At:   washington bike center

Similar Products Used:   specialized big hit pro (way to expensive and weighs as much as a car) never again

Bike Setup:   all stock except for some evil twin tires and some well placed accents here and there like grips, chain, ect.....

Submitted by Vic Prudente a Weekend Warrior from Manila Philippines

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2004

Strengths:    Looks, plush and smooth anywhere, affordable. What more do you want?

Weaknesses:    Depends on your setup (and if it really matters); weight. Mine weighs 30 lbs.

Bottom Line:
What can I say? Awesome everywhere. Easy to adjust and play around with, awesome red color. I got mine from Japan and I think they are the only ones who have this type of red. If only the Spesh brand is more exotic like Turner or Titus or Intense. But what the hell, they seem to want to be a Spesh anyway.. Hee hee. ('0')

Favorite Trail:   Any trail in Colorado/Wisconsin

Purchased At:   KatoCycle Nagoya Japan

Similar Products Used:   Santo Cruz Heckler, Mongoose Grand Marquis.

Bike Setup:   Upgrade to XT/XTR, SuperNova, Chrs King, Mavic F219, Thomson, stock brakes (Shimano 525) after market pads.

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from OTTAWA (go sens go)

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2004

Strengths:    Very nice frame geometry, i love the Fox Float R. ITch switch changes rear travel from short(100mm) to long(130mm). Very easy to adjust. Fork is nice and smooth. Nice fork rebound control, from very fast rebound, too very slow.

Weaknesses:    Fork is a bit soft. Not much of a problem for people around 150-180lbs. Ticks on upper legs of the fork had no relation to the actual travel. Maybe swap the discs for a pair of XT's, Hayes, or Hope Mini's. The bike is a bit heavy but thats what ya get for a good solid bike.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for anyone who wants an all mountain performer.
Things i would change the secound i buy the bike.
:Fatter and better tires
:Get rid of some specialized componants
Thats it..

Favorite Trail:   Tremblant urban

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   Norco Fluid, Giant VT1,2, Rocky Mountain ETSX, K2 Tirade.

Bike Setup:   Stock + Yeti lock-on grips, New tires FT= Tioga Factory DH 2.5, RT= Maxxis Swamp 2.5. New seat. Rims: SunRims: Big mamooth. Planning on removing stock specialized componants: stem, handlebars.

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Berkeley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent DH, great climbing traction, nice paint, good looks, I use it for technical trail, XC riding where I think it excells

Weaknesses:    Weight, if you're keeping track of stuff like that.

Bottom Line:
This bike performs just great on rocky trails, general X-country, and is great on the subsequent DHs that follow. A bit heavy if you care about keeping up with folks on light XC suspension bikes, but the plusher ride is worth it for me. Frame and forks are too light for all out downhill or freeriding but can definately take it when it arises as long as you can hang on. Overall rating - Awesome, plush, frame and I've learned to live with the fork by keeping alot of air in it.

Favorite Trail:   Annadel State park

Purchased At:   Mikes Bikes

Bike Setup:   All stock - air/spring or elastomer combo Marrzochi forks, Hayes disk brakes, flip-flop Fox shock

Submitted by Phil Gibbon a Cross Country Rider from Peoples Republic of Mossley

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Strengths:    Frame is excellent....Great geometry and Specialized have addressed the lack of seat post adjustment so that you get a bit more travel than the Stumpjumper FSR without smacking the rear shock. Well impressed with the Shock despite what the other reviews say. The Itch Switch does work and makes a difference on those uphill legs. Good clearance for wider tyres,I've got 2.5 inch maxxis high rollers on at the moment. Had to change the bushes after 500 miles....not bad.

Weaknesses:    Forks....complete pants...come set up for a 9 stone anorexic not a meaty mtb rider and then they charge you for having the correct springs fitted...if you let them. Fox vanilla forks would be better by far. Shimano Disk Brakes and cr*p. The pads wear out in no time and they are a nightmare to bleed cos the screws break. Fit Hope M4s they are the mutts nuts. Chainset is pants and leads to a lot of chainsuck....change the rings for better quality ones and the chainsuck should stop. Why doesn't the bike come with XT groupset throughout instead of the mish mash of shimano gubbins that you get. Clean the frame after washing with a little silicone lube spray and it will look like new. Wheels are cheap (specialized seem to think that a great frame and naff wheels is a good compromise.....try riding a great frame with 6 snapped spokes and a warped wheel)

Bottom Line:
Great ride. Looks good and rides better. A must for the cross country rider out for a laugh with mates (a bit heavy for racing) The bike lends itself well to a bit of free ride and even downhill. Seems to be a great all round frame that allows for adaptation with components specific to different styles of riding.

Favorite Trail:   Long and hard, like my johnson

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   wont even give em airspace

Similar Products Used:   Several, Scott, Ellsworth, GT, Marin....all borrowed not bought....

Bike Setup:   Hope M4s front and rear, Hope headset, Hope Bulb Hubs, Mavic D521 Rims, soon to have new Fox Vanilla forks and Race Face chainset.

Submitted by Jon Dean a Cross Country Rider from North Yorkshire

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2004

Strengths:    UPDATE on earlier review. Stronger than i thought, despite a good heavy sesh at Coed y brenin and Glentress last summer ! No real issues with anything Speciazed supplied. Wheels have still never been touched and remain pretty good!

Weaknesses:    Paint is now getting a bit concerning!, the amount of cable rub is getting bad even though i have used pace carbon armor to protect it bt it tends to wear on edges which they dont stick to that well.. Seat Post was replaced under warranty due to the weld breaking at the top and the saddle rotating while riding, amusing!! The bearings in the Flip Flop link were eventually replaced under warranty after a bit of debate (see earlier review!) Other than that no problems, infact its bloody great!

Bottom Line:
It's ace - buy one!

Favorite Trail:   any lumpy bits!

Purchased At:   TAV isle of wight

Bike Setup:   I have also changed the forks to a pair of Marzocchi Z1 Drop offs - they are soooo plush and make a real difference - i sold the psylos after 6 months to an ebay muppet for £190!! also replaced the chainset for a rce face turbine, together with a rollamagig - Much better shifting!.

Submitted by Aaron Martin a Cross Country Rider from San Diego Ca US

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2003

Strengths:    Great frame and the fox shock is plush with no pedal bobing. The itch switch lockout and fork lockout features with the Manitou Platnum.

Weaknesses:    Only problem I had was the fork leaked oil from the right arm and the compression adjust knob was missing a screw and it fell out. Both fixed by the bike sho

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike very well balanced takes jumps and downhills very well. Very good braking. I found that on rough climbs I climbed better than my hardtail because I had better traction and control. I have a medium frame and I am 5'10" 210 pounds. The geometry fits me so well and it makes short work of low speed technical stuff as well as the flats and high speed decents. This bike inspires confidence and is the most comfortable bike I have ridden. My rides are averaging about an extra 5-7 miles because I just don't get as tired on this bike.
My only complaint was that manitou apparently left a seal out of my fork and it leaked, the oil then got on my disk brake rotor and presto, no front brakes. The manitou rep gave my LBS the seals and the problem is solved and the fork feels great but I could have been seriously hurt. You Get alot for your money on this one. I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes to do a little bit of everything.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon