Rocky Mountain RM7 FR 2003 Full Suspension

4.31/5 (32 Reviews)

Submitted by power2rice a Downhiller from van nuys, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2009

Strengths:    progressive suspension.

Weaknesses:    brake jack/squat, excessively heavy rear end.

Bottom Line:
overall it handles very well for single pivot. it's very plush and responds very nicely. the top tube is a bit too short which forces you to be off and behind the seat more often than i really want to be. brake jacking is very noticeable here because the pivot point is placed below the chain line. i find that pivot points placed at or above the chain line has less brake jack/squatting occurrence.

Favorite Trail:   telonics

Submitted by QTOW a Downhiller from Quincy CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2009

Strengths:    evarything but the front derailor

Weaknesses:    the front derailor does not hold the chian down i went of a 5' jump with really smooth landing a the chain got caught in beetween the frame and the crank and snapped

Bottom Line:
the bike is a awsome bike for what iv'e riden just need chian gaurd.

Favorite Trail:   northstar

Similar Products Used:   kona stinky

Bike Setup:   super T forks, avid juicy 7 brakes, double track front rim

Submitted by Tad Olsen a Downhiller from Maine

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2006

Strengths:    Thrust Link, fork, everything

Weaknesses:    bearing came out, was able to put back in easily though

Bottom Line:
Greast bike. Not the best pedler but thats not what its made for. Fork is a little heavy. Great bike.

Favorite Trail:   MT. A

Purchased At:   Bicycle Bob's

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105 rear deraiur, Fox DHX 5 rear shock

Submitted by B- Man a Racer from Tucson, Az

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2005

Strengths:    Everything, the tubing, the welds, the thrustlink, etc.

Weaknesses:    1 bearing blew out....

Bottom Line:
Kicks ass in the city or the mountains. Best bike ever. I've raced it twice and it performed better than some race bikes with better components. 2nd and 4th ain't bad. It's a beast at the Kolob in Virgin and up at Boulder City. Completely owns at Sunrise Ski Resort, Az. The Best bike, period....

Favorite Trail:   Armageddon, BC, Nv.

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Jr.T, All Holzfeller, ODI, WTB Seat, Sun S.U.V.'s, Ringle hubs, Intense FRO 2.5's, Manitou 4-Way Swinger, Bulletproof flats.

Submitted by Matt Hunt a Downhiller from Stratham, New Hampshire, USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2005

Strengths:    Smooth as can be ride, Fork is a little heavy.. but rids over anything...

Weaknesses:    My brakes wernt the best... but thats no falult of the bike... but hays

Bottom Line:
If you can get the cash... your stupid not to buy. Their strong, relible, and just as good as anything out there.

Favorite Trail:   Grandma's house

Purchased At:   Exeter Wheel power

Similar Products Used:   nothing can compare

Submitted by Todd a Weekend Warrior from WILLISTON VT

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2005

Strengths:    sweet ride, the handmade frame is kickin! the flow of the ride is right on! nice bike for drops and bridges, even better for just BANCHIN'

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
nothing rides like a rocky, smooth, not meant for going uphill. buyers beware, the rocky warantee is terrible!

Favorite Trail:   inn trail

Purchased At:   used, from a mechanic

Similar Products Used:   STINKY DEE LUX, BIG HIT

Bike Setup:   HOPE gothic rotors azonic ultracross riser, mrp system 2, ultegra casette, tiagra shrt cage derailler, sram X9 shifters, dangerboy levers, maxxis highrollers, 2.5

Submitted by Ted a Downhiller from Fairfield Ct, USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2004

Strengths:    Burly as anything
Got his by a car and only bent the hanger @ 70 at the highway, tacoed the front wheel though

Weaknesses:    Everything Else,
1) T2's stick after 1 fall (Loose 1 inch of travel)
2) Heavy as anything, can't drop it the way I want

Bottom Line:
Don't waste the money, the bike is so bad. I'm not even joking you. Is cheap though, I'll give it that. The parts are so bad like the wheelset,(whats up w/ that) and the t2's are so bad, for the money I wish I could have opted for the Super T's. If you've got the money get a nice Kona like one of those new stinkys or a cheap bullit. PASS ON THE RM7 after riding this I would never buy any Rocky Mountain.
Give it the 2 chilis for not cracking after being chucked off the car

Favorite Trail:   ALL OF MOUNTAIN CREEK!

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky, Santa Cruz Bullit, Specialized Bighit, Foes DHS, Norco Team DH

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Mark from Jackson, CA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2004

Weaknesses:    tall standover

Bottom Line:
I freeride mainly...dirt jumps, trails, drops, stunts and the like. This bike has done well off 8'+ drops and 20' gaps. It is very responsive and rides lighter than its actual weight. I have tons of confidence on this bike: when I overshoot a landing the travel soaks it up. It is very stable in turns and tracks well.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth Bar

Purchased At:   River Rat Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Joker

Bike Setup:   Super T Pro fork, Azonic Chubby bars and shorty deluxe stem...the rest all stock.

Submitted by David a Downhiller from Oak Harbor,Wa,USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2004

Strengths:    feels great, flies straight, never a guess as to what it will do.

Weaknesses:    THE REAR LINKAGE!! I hope rocky mountain fixed the problems that rear linkage had. After two months after buying my 2002 rm7 I had a crack in the front triangle where the shock bolts in. I contacted Rocky and they said that they could not warranty it because I had "abused" it. I hadnt done anything bigger than 4 feet. I bought a crash replacement for 500 dollars. So after a good year of riding, my front triangle has flexed where the front derailler attaches to. This is a 2003 front triangle that was less than a year old, and I was waiting for it to break. A few months after that I went off of a 4 foot drop at a race in my first practice run, and I busted the rear triangle. I broke it right where the rear pivots behind the bottom bracket. In the process I bent the dogbone.

Bottom Line:
I hope rocky mountain fixed the problems that rear linkage had. Two months after buying my 2002 rm7 I had a crack in the front triangle where the shock bolts in. I contacted Rocky and they said that they could not warranty it because I had "abused" it. I hadnt done anything bigger than 4 feet. I bought a crash replacement for 500 dollars. So after a good year of riding, my front triangle has flexed where the front derailler attaches to. This is a 2003 front triangle that was less than a year old, and I was waiting for it to break. A few months after that I went off of a 4 foot drop at a race in my first practice run, and I busted the rear triangle. I broke it right where the rear pivots behind the bottom bracket. In the process I bent the dogbone.
MY advice to anyone who wants to drop 3200 dollars on this bike is to save a few hundred more dollars and get a devinci ollie. You get the full saint groupo, a 888rt, a manitou 6 way, and atomlab rims. Plus that frame looks bomb proof, and it has adjustable travel in the rear. screw spending 3200 for a junior t and alex rims!

Favorite Trail:   The one that goes down

Purchased At:   nsmb.com

Similar Products Used:   stinky deelux, cove peeler. devinci ollie, banshee scream, cove gspot.

Bike Setup:   2004 shiver, holzfeller cranks, 321 rims, michelin tires, and fox rc.

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Canada!!

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Strengths:    the tubing is nice and strong all around pretty pimped out bike

Weaknesses:    none sept minor things can happy little play in the rear swingarm but realy nothing major costs few bucks to fix

Bottom Line:
Great bike i do 15 plus footers and its smooth good bike no major cons just few little things exactly what i expected from every company nones perfect or at leat i have yet to been proved wrong

Favorite Trail:   anything filled with hucks

Purchased At:   simons bike shop

Similar Products Used:   hmmm rm7 wadesimmons norco vps team shore santacruz s8 v10 disco

Bike Setup:   chose the monster t2 setup but i runa jr got few new little gadgets bars stem pedals u know

Submitted by Neil Sinclair a Downhiller from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2004

Strengths:    Before it falls apart, the ride is predictable, smooth and controlled. It sucks up big hits but bobs more than I like when climbing. Sprinting causes a lot of pogoing.

Weaknesses:    Repeated rear suspension failures.

The main pivot bearings have been replaced 3 times.
The dog-bone has failed twice.
The dog-bone pivot bearings have been collapsed twice.

Rocky Mountain Bikes does not, repeat not stand behind their product anymore!! See the bottom line.

Bottom Line:
I have always chosen Rocky Mountain bikes after test riding almost everything comparable. The RM7 was my sixth Rocky. I have frequently recommended their product to everyone I spoke with about bikes.

Unfortunately, Rocky Mountain's commitment to product design and customer service excellence seems to be a thing of the past. The new company management was made aware of the frequent rear suspensions failures, but was unwilling to stand behind their product. To be fair, the last failure occurred when the frame was 1-month out of warranty. However, there were less than 20 descents on the bike. (It was in storage for most of the first year.)

So to re-cap, the rear suspension has failed completely on 5 separate occasions in 19 rides and the company will not acknowledge that there may be a design flaw. Further, I stated that I would happily purchase a new RMX if they felt it would be a more appropriate frame. They said that they would not sell one to me.

Please draw your own conclusions, but before spending your money, test ride everything in your price point.

The quality of ride and how well a bike fits you cannot be determined any other way. With so many excellent choices in the market these days, I'd think twice before buying a product that the manufacturer won't stand behind.

Regardless of price a very poor value if you're always replaceing parts or hurt by a mechanical failure.

Good luck. Go out and ride!

Similar Products Used:   2003 Norco Team Shore
2004 Specialized Demo 9
2004 Santa Cruz V10
2004 DeVinci Wilson
2004 Cannondale Gemini DH (I bought this bike to replace the RM7)

Bike Setup:   2003 Monster T - heavy duty springs
Platform pedals
The rest is stock.

Submitted by Rod Watson a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2003

Strengths:    Great frame, decent components, doesn`t ride as heavy as it feels, at least when you pick it up. Coolness facter is high. Very well balanced, and easy to adapt to.

Weaknesses:    Before I even left the shop I had them put an mrp
(slalem)chain guide(low gear......whats that for?). Got home and cut down the bars, slapped on Odi lok-on grips and soon realized the springs in the monster were way to soft(I`m 195lbs), 80 dollars later(Can.)I had my stiff springs and all was well......I thought! 3 months old and I`ve now had to replace BOTH WHEELS, what garbage they put on a otherwise great bike. Do yourself a favour, and insist your shop put better wheels on, I swapped for Mavic 321`s and have had no problems to date.

Bottom Line:
Stock wheels were crap(even the shops can`t argue that)....I can`t understand why others haven`t mentioned them? Forks were to soft, easy to fix. OK, now that I`ve said that, I can now tell you this, my bike rocks, this is the best ride I`ve ever had, the balence, the strength, the looks(coooooool), the bike is sweet. If you can afford it-get it! you can`t go wrong. I ride the local mountains and alot of urban(drops and stairs abound, Vancouver is a great city), the bike is perfect for me

Favorite Trail:   Rose hill, Kamloops, BC

Purchased At:   Covebikes

Similar Products Used:   lots of bikes

Bike Setup:   Mavic 321`s, much better tubes(I didn`t put this down as a weakness `cause all bikes come with crap tubes), MRP, and stiff springs(monster is perfect now....NOT TO HEAVY), and Odi grips. Bike is ready for the Shore and the ski hills.

Submitted by Mike a Downhiller from Aliso Viejo

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2003

Strengths:    Very bottom out resistant. Great geometry. Much more agle than it should be for the weight.

Weaknesses:    Rocky Mountain customer service. Just plain terrible.

Bottom Line:
Nicest riding big hit bike I've ridden. Very smooth on the small stuff, and very bottom out resistant as well. Best buy out there hands down. It's just too bad Rocky has their heads up their @$$e$. Several stock items were just plain silly, and they were NOT helpful. Great bike despite them.

Favorite Trail:   Whatever I'm racing down

Similar Products Used:   Many, many, many.

Bike Setup:   Super T. MRP rollers.

Submitted by Rob Collins a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2003

Strengths:    40 lbs, lighter than any of the Konas, nimble DH/big drop rig.

Weaknesses:    40 lbs, but if that bugs you, you're on the wrong bike. Also, I can't imagine why Joel put the grip shifts on, everytime I launch, I have to be careful not to ghost shift. I like SRAM stuff, it seems like the rear derailleur spring is stronger than my shimano stuff. I'm going to try the SRAM triggers before spring.

Bottom Line:
The Bullitt, Heckler and ASX would be great if you only had one bike to do everything, but I've got a hard tail for singletrack. Better put, my hardtail has been spending more time in the garage as of late. I find my self constantly looking for jumps, even when I'm not on the bike. The RM-7 makes me want to ride more. I can't wait for spring at Keystone and Vail. If anyone knows of good DH shuttle rides around Denver, drop me a line, hopefully will try Apex this weekend.

Favorite Trail:   Vail DH course