Rocky Mountain Fanatik 2003 Full Suspension

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by seatrend a Weekend Warrior from Whitehorse, Yukon

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2009

Strengths:    Good value. Frame is high quality. pivots still good after 4 seasons. I weight 150 lbs. Strong stock wheels.

Weaknesses:    1.9 inches tire. I upgraded to 2.25

Bottom Line:
Bike is solid, I have used it with stock components for 3 years and then slowly replaced pretty much everything including the 2 Mavic 223 rims who finally gave up (2009)Geometry and handling are great. Be careful with the cable house routing as it wore through my top tube pretty badly.

Favorite Trail:   Tincup

Purchased At:   Icycle Sports

Similar Products Used:   Devinci Arrow

Bike Setup:   Fox Float 130X, Cane Creek Cloud9, XT rear derailleur,

Submitted by Josh Jenson a Weekend Warrior from Houghton, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2009

Strengths:    Bomber frame. Great value, especially at the discounted price. I've used it hard for over 3 years and havn't busted a thing. Has great feel and responsiveness

Weaknesses:    I bit heavy. Componants were not very good.

Bottom Line:
I've held off on writing this review for some time. Now it can be used for someone looking at this bike used. It's been a great first full suspension bike for me. Once I put on the Egg Beaters I feel like me and this bike are one as we fly through the woods. I'm mostly a xc rider, but I took this on some very bumpy trails out in Jackson Hole and Moab and it never failed me. I saw other xc bikes crumble on those trails. If you have a chance to get this bike you should do so in an instance, you won't regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Churning Rapids, Copper Harbor, (in MI) Cache Creek, Blacks Canyon (in WY)

Purchased At:   A bike shop in Jacks

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock. I put on bigger tires, and an XT rear derailer. Also have Egg Beater peddles. Otherwise it's a good bike.

Submitted by JmZ a Cross Country Rider from Northern IN

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2004

Strengths:    Great Frame
Parts respectable and desireable (more on this below)

Weaknesses:    Higher base cost
Weight
Disc only frame

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike when the shop was clearing space for 2004 bikes. Already had most of the parts I was going to use for the bike so I swapped those over and then sold what was on the bike. After selling parts on Ebay - got a frame for $300 - new.

Have been riding the bike now for about a year. The frame has not given me a reason to complain, neither has the headset, or the front mech. That's about all that's left stock. The frame is the same that Rocky used for all their duallies except for the Element TSC. Can't complain about that.

I replaced a Jamis Dakar team that was a great bike - light, and flickable, but just a hair too small for me. The Rocky fit much better. It's gonna be a great woods bike!

The best points about this bike - the handling is great. It just feels like it belongs in the woods. It's just about flickable but not twitchy. The design is proven, no surprises here.

The quibbles I've got with the bike are minor. It has issues with accepting a 160mm rear rotor. It fits, but it's tight, so I went with a 140mm instead and that went away. :) Then I've had a few setup issues, but I CAN'T blame the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking but Ft Custer is Great

Purchased At:   Outpost Sports

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar Team
Specialized Ground Control
Diamondback V-Link

Bike Setup:   Stripped to the frame and built with new parts. Marz Marathon, XTR Rear mech, Race Face Cranks, more toys.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Camp Hill, PA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2004

Strengths:    Rocky Mountain quality and attention to details. Handbuilt. Great suspension design and awesome frame. Price.

Weaknesses:    I'd like to see higher end components but for this price it's not that big of a deal. They'll hold up fine but they aren't as light and the fork and shock don't have the adjustability that I'd like but again this bike is $1400.

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome bike at a great price plus you get discs!!! You can always upgrade the parts if you want. If you're a budget-minded person in need of a nice FS ride, this is the one!!!

Similar Products Used:   2003 Trek Fuel 90(my current ride) and 2003 Rocky Mountain Carve(tested only)

Submitted by Tucker Teutsch a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2003

Strengths:    Great company with solid geometry, decent stock components, and a proven record on the trail. Easton tubes, mavic wheelset, and a lite Marzocchi fork. That's a great mix. It's pretty hard to find any other bike at this price with disc brakes. A nice little incentive on Rocky Moutain's part. Also, it's gorgeous and makes me feel all tingly just waiting to take it to Moab tomorrow.

Weaknesses:    Like I say, the components are only "decent" -- Deore, Rock Shox -- and could use an upgrade. A bit weighty, but no more than my last steel frame hardtail, and with the added bonus of full suspension. Otherwise, no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
Okay. This is a great bike for someone like me who has ridden hardtails for a few years and is just now making the switch to full suspension. Basically, I ride cross-country year-round, but figured I'd go full because of the downhill courses I ride in the summer. My ass couldn't take it anymore.
Anyway, I decided to tear the XT rear derailleur and shifters off my old bike, along with Avid brake levers and a longer WTB stem. Plus, my badass pedals. I cleaned the bug carcasses off, put them in a bag, and hauled it all down to the shop where I bought the bike. I had them switch off the Deore components for XT, and it made a world of difference. I'm not a tech slut, either -- it just didn't feel right with the low-end Shimano parts. I saved a bit pricewise, too. I'm not really into Rock Shox, but my local shop is such that they switched off the stock rear shock for a SID upgrade for free. I guess I'm special. On-the-fly adjustment? I'll take it. Otherwise I'm still riding a Deore front derailleur. I say, ride it (and the SID) until it breaks, then upgrade.
All in all, a very good bike that gives me mucho joy. I feel like selling my car.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock, Grass Valley, Parras de la Fuente...

Purchased At:   Singletrack Factory

Bike Setup:   check out the following link for specs: http://bikes.com/2003/fanatik.html

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Dillsburg, PA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2003

Strengths:    Great Suspension design, Rocky Mountain quality, solid component spec. Disc brakes are an added bonus.

Weaknesses:    Rock Shox rear shock.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a pretty nice ride. The only thing wrong is the Rock Shox rear shock. It just doesn't match up with the fork. If you get this bike, you'll probably want to put a new rear shock on it. (Fox float R)

Favorite Trail:   Singletrack