Rocky Mountain ETSX-30 2003 Full Suspension

4.61/5 (18 Reviews)

Submitted by Eric Biker a Weekend Warrior from Westlake Village, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2006

Strengths:    Build, Components, PRICE, PRICE, PRICE!!!

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Copeland Sports WL Village was clearing out their 2004 Rocky Mountain ETSX-30 and I picked up a 16.5 for $499.00 NEW...This is not an error $499.00 NEW!!!! F#$%*! YEA! The components are worth the money alone. So far it is sweet and I am a happy boy!

E-

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon

Purchased At:   Copeland Sports

Similar Products Used:   GT and Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by matt a Weekend Warrior from australia

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2005

Strengths:    climbing!! felt like a mountain goat on it!
hand made frame beautiful paint finish, single track ability

Weaknesses:    short top tube and minimal stand over clearance, but then im speaking of a 173 cm on a 18.5 inch bike (do the math)

Bottom Line:
If you've read any previous reviews the main thing with this bike is the initial set up. i am still playing with a few intricate settings on geometry and shock set up. within your first few rides you dont know whether you absolutely love the bike or hate it. now three months on and i just think i have got it right, and boy arent i glad i stuck with her!! the bike maybe pricey compared with the taiwan equilivents but the extra confidence from rw my assembler i have taken my rocky everywhere from the manly dam to jindy to camberra and i have loved her everywhere
though this bike wont out perform the more specialised bikes on their specialised turfs i will say i have saved a bucket load keepin up with them on any trial without having to own four bikes. I recomend this bike to anyone who loves the freedom of the outdoors and any one who can't afford a bike for every condition. ride on friends.

Favorite Trail:   blue mountains

Similar Products Used:   none always been a hard tail man. mostly gary fisher and konas

Bike Setup:   mostly standard though had to replace seat post with a thomson as the easton broke second ride.

Submitted by Cegrover a Cross Country Rider from Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2005

Strengths:    Everything about the frame - geometry, suspension, strength. Also, the MX Pro fork is very good and the Deore M-525 hyraulic discs are excellent.

Weaknesses:    Shock bushings - not sure if this is a Rock Shox problem or Rocky's. Would have preferred SRAM to Shimano, but was able to sell the shifters after I swapped...

Bottom Line:
This is my wife's bike, but I ride it every chance I get! At the clearance price, this handcrafted bike was absolutely unbeatable. It would have quite competitive at list price, too.

This is an amazing bike for technical XC riding, including climbs. It's not as light as my V-Link, but seems to climb almost as well. Buy this if you want a fully adjustable all-mountain type bike with fantastic ride and handling and you aren't concerned about having the absolute lightest thing available (check out the ETS-X50, -70 or -90 for lighter specs on exactly the same frame or go with shorter travel - maybe RM's Element - if 30-ish pounds is too heavy).

We ran the bike with SRAM Rockets for a long time, but I recently took off the problematic XT rear derailleur in favor of older SRAM 9.0SL (with 9.0SL twist shifters). Shimano 9-speed simply isn't reliable enough for me once it gets two specks of dirt on it (same situation with LX on her hardtail). The lock-on grips were a necessity with the twist shifters and the Trailbears have been a big improvement over the stock tires for SOCAL technical XC riding (sand and rocks, mostly). Of course, tire preference is highly dependant on trail surface.

The only complaint about the bike itself is play in the rear shock bushings. We're on our second set and have play again. RM is supposed to be taking care of them again, but this process has been very slow. The bike is completely ridable, however.

Five chilis for the bike itself, but the customer service hasn't proven to be so great. RM contacted me directly after Supergo talked to them, but I had one call and haven't heard anything else (I'm now leaving messages). Supergo handled the first bushing replacement very quickly.

Favorite Trail:   Rock-It

Purchased At:   Supergo Fountain Valley

Similar Products Used:   DBR V-Link is the only other FS bike. Lots of rigid bikes and one hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for SRAM 9.0SL shifters/rear derailleur, ODI lock-on grips, IRC 2.25" Trailbears, Wellgo platform pedals and sometimes Crank Brothers Mallet Cs.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Sierra Vista

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2004

Strengths:    High Clearance
Rear Suspension
climbing ability
Overall Frame Travel

Weaknesses:    Hutchison Tires

Bottom Line:
Outstanding bike regardless of price I found mine on a clearance from Supergo and loved it since the first ride. Bike handles the most technical trails in AZ and makes up for my limited abilities enough to keep me in one piece. The rear Suspension Arms hieght allows me to clear obstacles when I miss the preferred line and the balance allows me to hit even rough downhills with confidence. The component make up is well matched for the price and I saved money by upgrading with sale prices on the components. So for less than $2000.00 my bike setup now matches the ETSX-70 and then some for what I can tell is around $1000.00-$1700.00 less then the price of the 70. With the quality of this bike it is hard to fathom buying anything other than a Rocky in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Chiva Falls

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Epic Pro, Giant Warp

Bike Setup:   Stock, Changing to XTR shifter, derailluers, Panaracers XC Fire Pro ASB, Mavic XC 717 Disc, Hope hubs

Submitted by Simon Gregory a Cross Country Rider from The North of England

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent traction, great suspension, natural ride. Perfect Frame!

Weaknesses:    Probably going to be the tyres and rear shock with a little time, better spd's would be good. If i'd not got £600 (I paid £1,400) off then it'd be the price - in fact i'd never have bought it.

Bottom Line:
It took about half an hour to settle, probably the fastest time ever. Ride is great, responsive and positive. Feels bigger than it looks, interestingly I've reduced my normal seat height and might trim the handlebars down a touch to tailor it perfectly. I'll be taking it to the alps next month to see how it goes on some proper terain with fast and hard downhill and killer uphill and know it's going to relish the challenge. I'm sure this bike would suit any dedicated cc rider with a discerning taste in frames. For me the slightly lacking spec isn't a problem when it's competing with the big manufacturers, Rocky's personal touch is refreshing, and as the frame's the same as the other etsx's it made sense to get the 30 and then upgrade as needed.

Purchased At:   Langsett Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona and Specialized... can't remember which models. 2004 etsx-50 who's frame just doesn't look quite as good.

Bike Setup:   No changes from factory yet.

Submitted by Myles a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2004

Strengths:    Great ride, high quality build, solid component mix, climbs almost like a hardtail, smooth once you get it dialed in

Weaknesses:    tires, pedals, SID may not last but time will tell

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! This is my third Rocky, the first two were hardtails and I never thought a FS bike would climb as well or work better on tight single track! The Marzocchi took a bit of getting used to and you have to play with the rebound a bit but after it has broken in a bit I am enjoying it! I have heard bad things about the SID but so far it is holding up fine. You cannot appreciate this bike on the first ride. Even professionally set up at the shop it takes a bit to dial in on but it is well worth the time.

Great bike for people who love technical single track and long variable rides. Great in dryer conditions, have not had her in the mud yet!

Upgrade as things wear and you will have a awesome XC bike! Change the tires, play with the rear suspension ( I have settled on 4 inches of travel ) and hit the trail!!!

Favorite Trail:   Elbow Loop

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur, GF Sugar, Stumpjumper FRS

Bike Setup:   stock except added Monkeylite riser, Raceface System stem, Panaracer Firepro XC tire ( rear ) ( will give Python a shot ), Time pedals

Submitted by Pat a Cross Country Rider from Steinbach,Manitoba,Canada

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2004

Strengths:    Versatility in all terrain. Rides like an x-country or dh with minor adjustments.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires are good for road or very hardpack only.

Bottom Line:
I got my dream bike and it rides like one too. I must say that it took a bit longer to set up than past bikes but you'll fall in love with it once it's right for you. Rocky Mountain was very generous in giving me a Fox FloatRL rear shock to replace my Rock Shox SID that leaked from new (talk about a sweet free upgrade!). Proud to buy a Canadian made bike. You can tell these guys do their homework. The bike climbs great and floats down the hills too. It's the perfect bike for someone who wants to have one bike that does it all. Don't expect it to be the ultimate x-country racer or freerider but it'll do both better than you'd expect.

Favorite Trail:   Ingolf

Similar Products Used:   Giant nrs2

Bike Setup:   Fox FloatRL rear shock. Race Face Airalloy Lowrider bars. Mavic X517 wheels. Crank Bros eggbeater pedals.

Submitted by Micah Roten a Cross Country Rider from grand junction CO

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2004

Strengths:    Everything, I love this bike and for the price I paid I could not have found anything close.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock Rock Shoc SID, I ride about a hundred miles a week and the bushing are already going out. The bike has creek when riding hard uphills that I can not find. The tire that came with it Hutinson phython, suck, they wear out way to quick.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike smooth ride, quick response, climbs very well, down hills is great. After I trash the SID and go with a DT swiss I will have nothing to complain about for now. The hubs and crank may go before I feel they should, but not everything is perfect always. Overall I would tell anyone to buy this bike, You will not outgrow it as the frame is top of the line equal to ETS-X 70, just add new parts as needed

Favorite Trail:   gunny loop and egale's wing

Purchased At:   over the edge

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz

Bike Setup:   Bomber MX pro front shock, LX/XT, Rock Shoc SID rear, Mavix 223 disc,deore hubs and crank,

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Ontario

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2004

Strengths:    This bike climbs sweet. My first ride of the season and I could climb every hill that was infront of me and and all thanks to this bike.

Weaknesses:    Somthing keeps squeeking on the end of the bike but I cant figure out what it is. Other then that none so far

Bottom Line:
This bike rules even though I havent riden it much this bike is soooo awsome. It takes rocks head on and doesnt stop. It climbs like a goat and goes down hills smoothly.

I highly recomend this bike to anyone who rides trails.

Favorite Trail:   Kelso Extreme

Price Paid:    $2099.00

Purchased At:   Skiis and Biikes

Similar Products Used:   the nearest thing that I have riden is a 2001 Devinci Chameleon which is nothing compared to this bike.

Bike Setup:   everything is the same as when I got it.

Submitted by Victor a Weekend Warrior from Lutherville, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Strengths:    Being my first full suspension bike i must say that it rides well

Weaknesses:    no problems soo far. In the east coast however, it rains a lot and the mud accumalates near the rear tire. not enough mude clearance

Bottom Line:
Awesome. The only good reason I like Canada is because of this bike. The price kicks ass, and so does the bike. it really rides well going up hill, almost stable platform. However, the marzzochi fork sags down a lot climbing up hills. The adjustable rear suspension is like none other. IF your a person that likes to adjust things a lot depending on the conditions, defiantly get the etsx. The only problem that occurs in doing so is that in adjusting the rear travel, the geometry feels different. With 4.5 inches of rear travel, feels like I’m going to fall forward. So unless I’m off my seat doing downhill, i keep it at 4 inches. Great bike for a great price. Lutherville is awesome.

Favorite Trail:   potomak (sp)

Purchased At:   LUTHERVILLE BIKE SHOP all the way

Similar Products Used:   don have that many bikes

Bike Setup:   for the price, lutherville bike shop actually gave me sid rear shocks instead of the standart bar adjust

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Arlington, MA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2003

Strengths:    - Rock solid frame
- ETSX suspension design workly flawlessly. Minimal bob, takes both big and small hits well.
- Deore disc brakes are wonderful (and underappreciated by many)
-seating position is awkward at first but once I lowered the seat and forgot about my old flat handlebars, I was in heaven.

Weaknesses:    a little $$ for the component mix
rock shox SID rear isn't going to last that long
Deore Hubs are not good

Bottom Line:
This bike just keeps getting better. If I knew that it was going to be this good, I would have paided more for better components (ala etsx-50).

I'm definitely a XC type, and this bike allows me freedom on trails that I didn't have before. Point the bike and start pedaling, you'll be amazed what you can do.

Climbing is unreal. Once you get your weight balanced, the rear wheel grips whatever the terrain might be.

New England is chalked full of rock gardens and this bike eats that stuff up. The suspension soaks up everything, all you've got to do is stay balanced in the saddle and keep spinning. My pedaling technique is much improved as a result of this. There is no doubt in my mind that this bike has made me a better rider.

If you're on the fence or just concerned about the RM "premium" price tag, forget about it. This bike is a value for the amount of pleasure it will give you.

Purchased At:   JRA Cycles

Similar Products Used:   I have owed 2 steel hardtails over the years.
I comparison shopped again Fuels, Sugar's, SC Superlights and Giant VTs.

Bike Setup:   Stock except conti tires
Cateye Endro8

Submitted by Jeff Chandler a Weekend Warrior from Grand Junction, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Strengths:    Nice ride on the toughest trail in the world. Handled the nasty downhills fairly well. Excellent braking--that was the best part of the bike.

Weaknesses:    Crappy tires didn't grip on the uphills. The front lockdown feature is cute, but not practical. If you engage on the uphill, then forget to disengage going down, you wind up over the handlebars. Chain came off bike twice. The frame rides bigger than you expect. I found myself swaggering off the back saddle trying to keep the bike in control on the downhills.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike, but a bit pricey relative to similar components on other bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Slick Rock

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Trek.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Riley Morrison a Cross Country Rider from Alberta

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2003

Strengths:    Every thing this bike is incredable. i have taken it on the hardest trails and it stood up awsome.

Weaknesses:    Clipless pedals (I am a beginner a XC but the Clipless pedals are a task to get used to)

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike as my first XC bike. I am normaly a Freerider but this bike made me Love XC. It is very smooth on rough terrain and handels large bumps very well.If you are looking for a good XC bike This is the one.

Favorite Trail:   My Back Yard

Purchased At:   The Bike And Run Shop

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain ETSX-50

Bike Setup:   Off show room floor set up

Submitted by Mike Macrum a Cross Country Rider from Acton, Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Strengths:    It's a Rocky. They tend to do their homework. I have owned & ridden 4 FS bikes, and the ETSX30 is the best FS bike I have ever sat on. Great traction and excellent handling in the tight stuff. And I have never been faster when the trail goes down. The Deore hydraukic Disc Brakes were the big suprise. 2 replacement pads later and they still stop like they were when they were new. IMO, better brakes than some that cost much more

Weaknesses:    Because it has the same frame as it's more expensive siblings, they cut the cost by underspecing some things. The Deore cranks and the useless OEM tires were really all I found to be less than expected. While I find the Rock Shox rear shock to be ok, it seems to be making more noise than it should. I will be upgrading this winter.

Bottom Line:
It took me awhile to figure this bike out. I played with the Adjustable travel and settled on the 4" mode. I will be taking off the Q/R and using a bolt to lock it in that travel mode. I had some initial trouble setting up the saddle. I started too high. Once I dropped the saddle, I began to really scream on this bike. Absolutely the best Full Suspension bike I have ever ridden.

This bike does not lend itself well to one test ride. It takes some time to understand it and dial it in. I hated it for at least 2 weeks. But once I threw out my conventional ideas on seat height, air pressure settings and let the bike roll, I fell in love.

This is a great bike for anyone who wants variable travel, comfort over longer rides or just wants to be faster in the rough stuff.

Favorite Trail:   A dirt one

Purchased At:   CRUM Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Proflex 752, Proflex 856, Ted Wojcik FS, and Rocky Mtn Carve.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Race Face Prodigy Cranks and Ritchey WCS Z-Max 2.1 sneakers

Submitted by Vaughan a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2003

Strengths:    It's a Rocky Mountain! Flawless detail; solid build

Weaknesses:    Creaking in rear shock/cantilever area

Bottom Line:
Sweet ride; awesome climbing; wicked downhill control!

I was a bit concerned when I got the bike as it didn't ride like my old 26lb Stump Jumper. It took two weeks of riding to dial the bike in (and change my old habits) so I could ride the same trails clean as I did on my SJ.

However, once tuned the bike was spectacular to say the least. I completed the 24hrs of Adrenaline in Whistler B.C. this past weekend and really pounded the bike hard. The course had some wicked climbing and lightening downhills which the bike ate up like there was no tomorrow. Definately made me a better, stonger rider. Would highly recommend the bike but like any relationship, allow yourself some time to get to know it. Also unless you've got the dollars to spend on the ets X-50 or 70, the 30 has all you need and performs flawlessly (all have same frame; difference between 30 and 50 is front and rear shocks and cranks); 70 is full XTR grouppo). In fact, I blew by a few 50s and 70s during the race--didn't seem to help them!

BTW. The creaking in the rear has been fixed with some re-torquing by the Bike Shop and a new SID shock from RMB.

Cheers!