Rocky Mountain Edge 2003 Full Suspension

3.75/5 (12 Reviews)
MSRP : $1975.00

Submitted by Stinkydeluxe2004 a Weekend Warrior from Victoria BC

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2009

Strengths:    I have always loved Rocky Mountain Bikes: have had Hammer, Cirrus, Stratos, Altitude and now a the Edge. The bike is absolutely bomb proof. Changing the stem can completely change the feel of the bike from race ready to downhill. I re built mine with a new drive train. Some have said bb creaks and brakes rub but I have never had a problem. Very responsive. Strong enough for med sized drops and nimble enough that you can climb to the top vs having to drive it up in a truck.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy but mostly because the frame is so well built. Mine is a 2002. Bombers are great.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Root 66

Purchased At:   used and re built

Similar Products Used:   Have had most rockys but love the rear suspension.

Bike Setup:   XT rear, Bombers, Julie Hydraulics, Shimano Clipless, Deore Front,

Submitted by john a Weekend Warrior from walnut creek

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2006

Strengths:    nothing at all

Weaknesses:    the dirt jumper 2 is a bad fork, it cannot hold air and does ride that well. fox float is good for around trails but not for drops or big jumps. stock components suck, ok for cross country.

Bottom Line:
go buy a frame that is beefy and will not break. then slowly build it up and make a great bike. the bighit frame is super strong, same with the vp free but the bighit costs less and is very durable.

Favorite Trail:   Whistler

Similar Products Used:   specialized big hit, santa cruz heckler, santa cruz vp free

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by justin green a Weekend Warrior from stamford

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2006

Strengths:    its point and go abilites..

Weaknesses:    slightly overweight... but its strong !!!! i'm 16 stone and it doesn't creak with me on it !!

Bottom Line:
its a hardcaore x/c come freeride bike, mine is lighter than stock, and brillliant, it'll do anything you want going down. I eat specialise enduo's and stumpjumpers on the way down, it's awesome, confidence inspiring...... great bike !!!

Favorite Trail:   caen y brevin (wales)

Similar Products Used:   kona - cannandale - spec'd

Bike Setup:   xt/xtr, power bros. crank, 2.5 conti deisels, steve peat bars, cane creek h/s, mazocchi bombers, fox van r

Submitted by Carsten from Kirkland, Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2004

Strengths:    Great allround bike. I love it's ride, has a great freeride feel to it. Makes a perfect hard core XC or light freeride bike.

Weaknesses:    None so far! The one problem I had was fixed by Rocky without any questions.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. For the money, you are getting quality components, and great service. I haven't had any problems with this bike after riding it heavily for almost a year. If you purchace this bike I would recomend getting a faster front derr. I have taken this bike to Whistler and had no problems, except of cource there isn't quite enough travel for downhilling. It still makes a great compromise whith the 130mm fork. If you are looking for a strong xc/light wieght freeride bike, get an Edge!

Favorite Trail:   Whistler

Purchased At:   Helen's cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll 1000 lefty, SC heckler

Bike Setup:   stock except for platform petals, xtr rear derr., and WtB tires

Submitted by andrew a Weekend Warrior from ottawa

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2004

Strengths:    good overall xc or dh bike.
plush suspension, simple design.
alot of bike for the money.
for a weekend warrior like myself, it lets you do all mountain riding.

Weaknesses:    it dosn't have any off hand.
4.5 inches of suspension front and back is never a weakness.

Bottom Line:
very happy with my edge, it rocks, awesome price for bike ratio.
rockey mtn has been an excellent dealer.
my friend has the rockey mtn. slayer which is the upgrade, and for the extra 1000$ its not in everybodies price range.

Similar Products Used:   kona stuff, rockey mtn hammer

Bike Setup:   stock, 19 inch

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Enfield,CT, USA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2003

Strengths:    The edge is a strong beast of a bike. I can go over anything, the shock once broken in is very plush and buttey. The 3D Rear is like a sofa. It climbs when I can push it. On the down hill very fast the bike save my life about 10 times.

Weaknesses:    1)Price 2)Cheap Raceface cranks and it is a little over weight at 32lbs

Bottom Line:
Great bike but the rider makes bike. I would buy another edge. Later in life.

Favorite Trail:   Western Mass

Purchased At:   Highland Hardware

Similar Products Used:   Not a thing I rode a cannondale f900sl.

Bike Setup:   thompson were I can stem and seatpost. all XT and XTR cranks are still raceface.

Submitted by crom7000 a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2003

Strengths:    Pretty much everything.

Weaknesses:    Its a little on the heavy side. Some BB creak already after maybe a dozen rides.

Bottom Line:
This is a very very nice bike. It replaces an old Stumpjumper that I've been riding for the last 10 years and the change is like night and day. Climbing is relatively fast, but not as crisp as on my old stump, but for a DS bike its good enough. On the downhills it does its job and the suspension has saved me in a few spots where I would have paid the price on the old bike.

The bottom line is that I can ride faster, and push my limits harder on this bike. Its NOT a freeride bike, but as a trail bike that can handle a little of everything, you really can't go wrong.

Similar Products Used:   1995 Sumpjumper M2 FS Comp
1992 Trek 970

Bike Setup:   LX/Deore, DJ 2 FS, Float R Rear. Raceface parts.

Submitted by Phat Head a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Strengths:    great all around bike. stiff frame. suspension soaks up big hits very well. climbs great. descends great. bombs down fireroads and singletracks very well. can take lots of abuse.

Weaknesses:    stock component group isn't the best, but still works well.

Bottom Line:
this is a great all around bike. the stock components are a little hefty but work well. the deore brakes actually work pretty well, but they just don't look so hot. this bike takes hits almost as well as my quasi moto which has more travel and a coil spring rear shock. i have had a lot of fun on this bike. i have owned and ridden alot of bikes and this is one of my favorties.

Similar Products Used:   titus quasi moto, gt idrive, ellsworth truth

Submitted by Kyle a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2003

Strengths:    Tough, point and shoot geometry.

Weaknesses:    Rear travel causes the seat QR to hook the rear derailleur cable causing MAJOR issues. (cured by Zap-strapping cable to frame), Julie's rub. Left crank creaks, wont stay tight.

Bottom Line:
Other than the small issues which every bike has in its personality (ie the cable hook and creaky crank) I love this bike. I point it and it goes over what ever I point at, (2.7inch maxxis help). Geometry makes it interesting to do large logs on because it is so laid back. If I could get the Julies to stop rubbing I would have no complaints. Dont buy this bike if you are a weight weeny, its weighs a bit but think of it as durable. If you are an aggressive xc, somtimes freerider this is perfect. Be ready to swap out some stock components for one thats growl a bit. you wont be dissapointed.

Purchased At:   used online

Bike Setup:   Edge with 900lb Mtn Speed Spring and Vanilla RC rear shock, Zokes Z5 up front. XT front and rear d's XT shift pods, Julie hydro discs. Stock cranks and rings (next to change)

Submitted by Brian a Downhiller from Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2003

Strengths:    There are no strengths about this bike, its a piece of crap!! The first day i got this bike it had problems with the drivetrain!

Weaknesses:    The bike itself is a weakness!

Bottom Line:
If your thinking of buying this bike dont!! its a waste of money!! ive spent more on repairs for the bike than i bought it for!!

Purchased At:   Toronto Bike Show

Similar Products Used:   Any bike is better than this one!

Bike Setup:   stock components! which suck!

Submitted by Dylan Wurfel a Cross Country Rider from Jasper

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Strengths:    When working properly,good all mountain bike

Weaknesses:    I had nothing but problems from day 1 with this bike.rocky mountain customer service was supposed to help and gave me nothing but false promises.Wouldn't recommend Rocky mountain to my worst enemy.

Bottom Line:
Honest to goodness my Rocky Mountain experience was a nightmare.Ya,maybe they do build some good bikes,but I got jerked around so bad buy their so called "sales management" that it was almost comical.Rocky mountain chose not to help me and ignored my issues and were willing to lose a good customer in favour of saving themselves a couple hundred bucks.If you're lookin for a new bike,save yourself alot of grief and go another route

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in Jasper AB