Rocky Mountain Carve 2003 Full Suspension

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Atascadero

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2009

Strengths:    This bike is well designed. Suspension on this bike is really nice. It tracks well and holds it own on fast bumpy single track. Lightweight I have mine at 27.5 lbs and climbs really well.

Weaknesses:    Paint sucks, decals suck, other than that no complaints.

Bottom Line:
Rockymountain bikes are awesome wellbuilt and worth the money so buy one today and get riding :)

Favorite Trail:   Maddona Lemon Loop

Purchased At:   Second Hand

Similar Products Used:   My first Rockymountain and first full suspension

Bike Setup:   Chris King hubs w/ Mavic 819 tubeless, Chris King Headset, XTR Rapid rise rear derale, LX front derale, Marzzoci Comp Air, Easton Vice stem w/ Easton vice Bars, Ritchey Comp seatpost, Crankbrothers Acid 1 Pedals, Deore cranks (suck), Xtr 960 rapidrise shifter/brake combo, Xtr V-brakes, Salsa V-brake booster,

Submitted by Ryan Dailey a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2006

Strengths:    I love that it is hand made in Canada. I have that much more conficdence that I'm not buying a hunk of junk that was mass produced by some factory (yeah, thats a shot at Schwinn, Specialized, Trek etc.) The Geometry is absolutely perfect for anything from cross country riding to aggressive trail riding. The 3D link put together with the Easton aluminum makes a strong, lightweight rig that can be fit to just about anyone!

Weaknesses:    Everyone else complains about what comes on it, since I bought just the frame, I can't whine about the parts. I do wish there was a clear coat on top of the decals so they wouldn't get ripped off by rocks.

Bottom Line:
If you get a chance, buy this bike. It's a steal--especially since rocky mountain quit making them. You can still get some brand new too. I love this bike. Any upgrade you can imagine could go on this bike without being a waste of money. If you do any hard riding, I would recommend upgrading the rear shock to a Fox RP3 (they make one 6.5" eye to eye to fit this). I will never go back to an american made bike after riding what Canadia has to offer!! Cheers, and happy riding!!

Favorite Trail:   Maxwell and Shoreline

Purchased At:   From the Factory

Similar Products Used:   ProFlex 757 hahahahahaha

Bike Setup:   Thompson stem/seatpost, Mavic Crossroc wheels, Hayes Sole hydraulics, XTR f/r derailleur, XT shifters

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2005

Strengths:    Relatively light weight, great components.

Weaknesses:    Front end. I lose a lot of power from FRONT shock bob, not the rear. Also, I found the geometry to be troublesome for me, anyway. When descending steep technical stuff, the fork would send me over the bars in the process of absorbing a rock or root. Instead of rolling over, it would just stop, no brakes involved.
The bike was stolen last week so hopefully the new "owner" will have a similar problem and break his neck.

Bottom Line:
I'm frankly surprised to see all the good reviews on this bike. Either I'm really a sucky rider, or all the others have less to compare to. (Or both).
I thought it was a decent bike but nothing to get gushy about.
Looking fwd to moving on to something else, though I'll never get as good a deal as I did on this one.

Favorite Trail:   secret

Purchased At:   Copeland's

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension bike I've had. Used to ride a Bridgestone MTB II. Had a Cannondale fat tube/no shox with the smaller diameter rear tire before that (an '80's model). These both handled better.

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi forks, Rock shox rear. Deore XT derailleur. Stock from the store. V brakes.

Submitted by eric muller from buzzards bay, Mass. USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2004

Strengths:    Awsome setup. Handles very well at speed, and accelerates better than any bike I have riden ever

Weaknesses:    Would have liked to see an Elite on it, but it was and upgrade from the stock shock so no real complaints

Bottom Line:
For the money and the setup this was the best deal I had come across. I was in the market for a new bike for about 5 months. It is a good bike setup for trail riding and light enough for some XC racing. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on one.

Favorite Trail:   trail of tears

Purchased At:   beachwood bicycles

Bike Setup:   I bought the bike as a left over but had been upgraded by the store: Black Comp, Float Rl; Rhyno Lite rims, Deore Mech disc, Lx crank, Ritchey headset, Answer carbon bar.

Submitted by Charlie from Westlake Village, CA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2004

Strengths:    Frame shape makes bike easy to handle. You can tell that the frame is made with more care than mass produced bikes. Rear shock can practically be turned off without having to get off of the bike for uphills. Bike feels solid.

Weaknesses:    The front Marzocchi shocks are too soft, but maybe I just haven't adjusted them right. Need to buy new wheels to add disc brakes. Seat tube is slightly too short I think.

Bottom Line:
This is my second Rocky Mountain bike. My other one is a hardtail, and it has got tons of use because it is so much fun to ride. Both bikes have this feeling of the rear tire always stuck to the ground like a Porsche. This bike was a bargain for $800 except that price goes up a lot if you want disc brakes.
The rear shock is a Rock Shox air shock and it is very nice combined with the suspension design. the overall rear suspension seems very durable and is quiet.
I wish I could figure out how to get the front Marzocchi shox to stay where I want them. Right now they are too mushy, but it can be adjusted with a high pressure pump, but that is a pain if you want to adjust them on a ride.
This bike gets 5 for value becuase the price and the frame is awesome and other parts that you don't like can be upgraded down the road or if they break.
Overall rating is 5 because I liked my last Rocky Mountain bike so much, I got another one, and I am expecting the same enjoyment out of this one.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Monica Mountains

Purchased At:   Copland's Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full suspension bike to own. But I have tried some Treks and

Bike Setup:   I just got this bike a month ago, but I have ordered some new wheels and disc brakes for it. Everything else is currently stock.

Submitted by Paul a Racer from Chester, CT

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Strengths:    good parts mix, great value, frame is amazing

Weaknesses:    weight-so what makes you stronger

Bottom Line:
original Deore brakes a little weak, upgraded to SD7. Other than that i don't see a reason to upgrade. life of this bike is in the frame, it is so smooth where u need it, no bob, no lock up under braking, what more is there to say. the frame is lightweight the weight comes from the parts-you can turn this bike into a sub-24 pound lightweight if you want, i just haven't seen a reason to yet. I'd reccomend this bike to anyone, Rocky's frame quality is second to none.

Favorite Trail:   cockaponset

Purchased At:   rock n' road cycles

Similar Products Used:   first full suspension

Bike Setup:   stock, Avid SD7 brakes and levers

Submitted by Anthony a Weekend Warrior from Tucson,AZ

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2003

Strengths:    Great front and rear shocks, nice Shimano components as well. The bike itself is very light compared to some other bikes I've looked at in the same price range. Plus the bike has snazzy looking maple leaf graphics.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires are pretty weak for the trails out in Tucson.

Bottom Line:
This is my first mountain bike, I did a lot of research about Rocky Mountain before I bought it and I've heard nothing but good things. I have yet to have any problems with it and I absolutely love the thing. My only complaint is the tires, the trails out here have lots of loose dry dirt and I found the tread to be inadequate, so my first upgrade will be a new set of tires with beefier treads. I initially was going to spend about $1,000 on a bike, but since Im a bigger guy (6'4 and 200 pounds) I figured spend the extra money for lasted durability. Bottom line, this bike rocks if you’re new to the sport or are looking to upgrade to a mid sized bike.

Favorite Trail:   not sure yet

Purchased At:   ABE Bikes in Tucson

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full suspension bike

Bike Setup:   All stock so far, 2003 model, my rear shock is made by Rock Shox, I'm not sure if thats stock or the bike store replaced it, but it performs great.

Submitted by grayson mendenhall a Downhiller from boone, nc

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Strengths:    rock solid. Pedaling is great no bob whatsoever. Fox float shock rules. Comes with racface crank and shimano deore xt shifters. Can't be beat for the price. No problems going uphill on this bike. Downhill is even more fun. Very light on the 18" frame. Overall a choice bike!

Weaknesses:    Paint may warp under warm conditions. The maple leaf decals(standard for a roclky mountain bike) began to chip off after about two months. Should come with a little more travel in the front. I have had the occasional shifting problem, but nothing serious at all.

Bottom Line:
A great bike for someone like myself who was just starting out. An awesome bike for someone who is wanting to hit some drops and get a little air, without making the huge committment of buying a sick downhill rig. It's light so it is great o both downhill and uphill. Rocky mountain always has the goods.

Favorite Trail:   Joyce Kilmer, Hockory, NC

Purchased At:   mgic cycles, boone, nc

Similar Products Used:   this is my first bike.

Bike Setup:   stock: 3.75" in front, 3" in the back. Marzoochi bomber on the front, fox float on the back. MAvic rims, raceface cranks, shimano deore shifters. shimano v-brakes. Stock pedals(ugh)-clipless(get some platforms if you get this bike!!!) rocky mountain handle bars and seatpost.

Need help mounting Reba to Carve SL

I picked up a used Rockshox Reba RLT yesterday and swiftly proceeded to mount it on the Carve SL which had a carbon rigid fork. remove brake, remove stem, drop fork out, put Reba in, stem on, BOOM. Is it really that easy? Should there be some other parts involved here? This bike has an integr ... Read More »

2013 Carve comp good base?

Looking at a 2013 Carve Comp as a base build. I am new to the MTB scene. I rode a 2014 crave base at the lbs, I can tell the components are low end, especially the brakes compared to riding a 2014 trek superfly 9.7. Ride was good though. Possible mods include upgraded brakes, shifters and derail ... Read More »

Carve hub make no more ratchet sound??

My hub became silent on my 2013 carve comp. Anybody else? Function well beside that there is no more ratchet sound while coastingRead More »

Fenders for a Carve Comp.. How to know

Hi I am wanting to put some fenders on my bike after a very fun ride on a muddy single track last night. How do I know what size/style to get? Any recommendations? Thanks ScottRead More »

Took the Carve SL on a diet! 17lbs 11oz!

[FONT=verdana]After riding the bike bone stock for about 9 months, I decided to sink some money into her and see what I could do, mainly for performance and to change a few things that I didn't like about the stock bike. The main changes I wanted to make were to get ride of the stock grips and alumi ... Read More »