Raleigh Ram 2003 Full Suspension

Submitted by Frank from Spanish Fork, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2006

Strengths:    UPDATE: well, I've had this bike for 3 years now, and it's still going strong. It's still the best full-suspension all-around that I've had to date. The paint and components have held out well. The only parts I've replaced are ones I wanted to. Still a good bang for the buck.

Weaknesses:    Not the strongest climber and heavy when you have to hike with it. The stock rear shock was crap and I was glad to be rid of it. The stock front shock leaked oil, but it's still alive and on one of my brother's old bikes now.

Bottom Line:
Though I haven't put a ton of miles on it, a bike that holds up like this after 3 years with minimum maintainance is worth 5 chilis in my book!

Favorite Trail:   all the trails at Sundance

Purchased At:   Taylor's

Similar Products Used:   Trek 9000, Nishiki FS4

Bike Setup:   Stock components, Manitou Minute Front, Risse Astro-5 Rear

Submitted by KLAUS LAAGE a Cross Country Rider from SANTIAGO, CHILE

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2005

Strengths:    LOW WEIGHT, PERFECT SIZED (20")

Weaknesses:    REAR SUPENSION PIVOT, PINION SIDE TOO WEAK.
tHE BIKE WHERE USED TO RIDE WORK DAILY, CITY USE ONLY.

Bottom Line:
IF IT DOSENT FAIL ITS A GREAT FRAME FOR THE PRICE!!!!

Favorite Trail:   XC

Purchased At:   BELDA USA

Similar Products Used:   BIANCHI DSX 3000; OXFORD RIGID MOONSTONE

Submitted by Frank a Weekend Warrior from SF, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2003

Strengths:    Great value, good geometry, comfortable ride, great value, nice rims, relatively little bob, great value

Weaknesses:    cheap shocks, a little on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
After my second FS bike was stolen, I had to find a replacement within what the insurance was willing to pay. Since I had hand buil up my Nishiki and didn't have all the receipts, I did not get as much as I had invested. After spending 3 months looking at new bikes and a failed order on a KHS, I was glad to find this much bike within my price range.

I bought the bike at the end of 2002 and was the first in Utah to get one. I've put alot more on road miles on it then off road (about 40 or so on, 15 or so off). Thus far, it has exceeded my expectations in all feilds except one. The rear shock needs to go (as soon as I can convince my wife :) ) I'd like to replace the front shock someday too, but the Suntour is not too shabby.

Basically, if your looking for a good price bike you can take on real trails, this bike is it.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 9000, Nishiki FS4

Bike Setup:   stock (lx front derailuer, deore rear, deore disc brakes, shimano hubs, alex rims, velociraptor tires, suntour front fork, shark tough schock rear)

Submitted by Eduaro a Cross Country Rider from Hallandale, FL

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Strengths:    This bike will take you anywere. Very confortable, durable and fast.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
You can shop around for a dicent bike. But for the money this one is for you. If you can buy the RamXT, it has better components like the rear rockshox.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta River

Purchased At:   Lee's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   RamXT

Bike Setup:   LX FRONT AND REAR. IRC, SID 100MM, AVID BREAKS.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    Great ride, extremely comfortable, good components, very strong.

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. It looked good on paper, so I went down to the shop to test ride. When I got on it, I couldn't believe how comfortable it was. I compared it to the Fuji Discovery 3, but the ride quality was several classes higher. After riding for a few weeks I have no complaints. At a claimed 34.5 lbs, this is a heavy bike, but then Trek's Liquid 10, which is a similar design, is 32.5lbs and costs 1800 bucks.

The suspension geometry is superb..it soaks up bumps like magic. There is very little pedal wobble but the shock that comes with it is a tad on the cheap side and the bike wobbles after bumps. I recomend a higher end coil or air shock as a first upgrade. I also plan to lighten the bike with a new stem, handleabrs, and seat post. Eventually I may get a lighter fork and wheels.

Overall, this bike is more than the sum of its parts. Compared to bikes that look the same on paper, it is in a higher league. Hats off to Raleigh for making a fine product at a very reasonable price.

Purchased At:   Roy's Sheepshead Cycle Shop