Kona Stab 2003 Full Suspension

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by BigDog a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2004

Strengths:    Incredible strength with great looks !
Great price (one reason why I purchased this).

Weaknesses:    For my style of riding, the large 42 teeth chain ring.
The front brake line getting caught in front wheel.

Bottom Line:
Fabulous bike ! It has a strong, attractive frame.
Would like SPV all round, but the Juniour T and
Fox RC are still damn good. Great bike for downhill
but if you want freeride then maybe not as it is
heavy.
I love this bike and look forward to many more Kona
bikes in the future.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized BigHits, Giant DH Comp, Norco.

Bike Setup:   As stock, but with new front brake line attachment,
a 36 teeth chain ring

Submitted by Rob a Downhiller from Newtown, Ct

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2004

Strengths:    Indestructible. Mine isn't a 2003, it is really a 2002.5. It feels bottomless(I gues because it is). Paint looks good. Nothing, and I mean nothing handles better in the air. It is like a missile.

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses..... um, none!

Bottom Line:
This thing is awesome! It takes big hits with ease. It sucks up everything. Big hucks, gap jumps, you name it. LAunch it, huck it, chuck it. Nothing handles better. It is awesome. It is bottomless, even with its terrible fox shock(fox sucks, dont buy em). Sweet ride. Buy it(i got mine frame only)If you is a freerider, buys its.

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruc Bullit, Stinky Primo, Big Hit experet, Banshee Scream

Bike Setup:   Custom built Marzocchi super t single crown doppio air fork, azonic stuff(Chubby bars, short stem, hotseat) Sun single tracks maxxis mobsters(2.7) hayes

Submitted by nic rud a Downhiller from prince george

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Strengths:    stock components fit well to together. The white tigers stick to the ground like glue. 321d's are bomb proof, I cased hard. The vanilla rc's easy to set up. The stab is easy to petal hardly any noticeable movement. I got the small and it is responsive. It's a nice ride

Weaknesses:    none that I have found yet

Bottom Line:
I can ride anything!!!!!!!!
This bike makes me invincible!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   a- line

Similar Products Used:   stinky dee lux, big hit, specialized fsr enduro (previous bike)

Bike Setup:   stock except I took off the mrp and now have a rock gard and two small chain rings with race face prodigy dh cranks

Submitted by Scott Etler a Weekend Warrior from Schweich, Germany

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2003

Strengths:    It's a KONA. Solid and unbreakable.

Weaknesses:    Not really a problem with the bike but on my first ride, the rear disk caliper coming apart. I just bought the bike and had to send it away for 2 1/2 weeks for warranty work. Not much tire/fork clearance. Tires are tearing the inside of the fork apart (down to and into the metal).

Bottom Line:
Wish it was a Stinky Primo. I went into my LBS to buy the Stinky Primo and was told that there are none available anywhere and it would be several months until the European distributor would get any in. The money I had burned a hole in my pocket and I walked out the the shop with the STAB. I have no regrets. This is an unbelievable bike. Gives me a ton of confidence when barrelling downhill and launching it. Well balanced, wheelies and manuals are a breeze. I love the Junior T (though I wish i didn't have to take it apart to adjust the dampening). I don't think I will be able to break the bike, I think it will break me first.

Bike Setup:   Stock. I plan on putting a RF North Shore crank on it, however I am happy with the MRP/Hussefelt setup(so far).. Will also eventually trade out the 2.5s Tiogas and throw on 2.4s to save my fork.

Submitted by Louis from Hawaii, US

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2003

Strengths:    One heavy, solid, unbreakable beast. Marzocchi Jr. T totally compliments this bike. The Kona catalogue says that it comes with a 32t chain ring with MRP World Cup 2. But actually, it's a 42t and i'm very happy with it.

Weaknesses:    Chain jumps of cassetes while back pedaling from the MRP WC2.

Bottom Line:
For the price, an awesome DH/freeride bike. Only ridden this bike DH a couple of times, but I am going to break it in sometime this month or two and I'll come back to post again some more comments.
Awesome bike.

Favorite Trail:   Saint Louis Heights, Hawaii

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   All stock and keeping it that way. Hayes HFX-mags HD Hydr, 42t chainring w/ Truvativ Hussefelt cranks, MRP WC2, XT rear deraileur, Fox RC Shock, Marzocchi Jr. T, Tioga White Tiger 2.5" tires (these are invincible).

Submitted by Josh Somers from Vic Aus

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2002

Strengths:    The 2003 Jr T's are sweet, Vanilla RC shock, MRP chain device. It comes ready to race out of the box

Weaknesses:    Rear hub is just some shimano junk

Bottom Line:
This is an awsome bike, I would recomend it for any downhiller with a budget or someone who likes to hit some dirt jumps. Good in the technical stuff too. Great all round bike.

Favorite Trail:   Trafalgar

Purchased At:   VIC MTB

Similar Products Used:   Specialized big hit's, Kona Stinky's

Bike Setup:   Completly stock except for the tyres which are now Specialized Roller's thin sidewalls, heaps lighter than the white tigers

Submitted by Troy a Downhiller from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2002

Strengths:    Extremly well built bike which will hold up to anything you can throw at it. Very forgiving if you land wrong with it's 7 to 8 inch rear and new 32mm 7inch JrT's from Marzocchi. The best freeride bike I have ever riden.

Weaknesses:    Only weakness is the weight, but a tyre change to the specialized DH tyre's reduced the bikes weight by 1kg.

Bottom Line:
The best bloody freeride bike you will ever ride. For the 7 inch front and rear it doesn't have too much pedal bob.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere Freerideable

Purchased At:   VicMTB

Similar Products Used:   Kona Dudu '00, Kona Stuff '02, Kona Roast '02, Kona Roast '00, Kona Scab '01, Kona Stuff '01, Kona Scab '02, Stinky Dee-Lux '00

Bike Setup:   Stock Standard exept for tyres and a headlock.

Ascutney Trails (formerly STAB) Mostly Closed Sunday for VT50

The Vermont 50 MTB Race and Ultrarun occurs this coming Sunday, September 28th. The event begins and ends at Ascutney Trails and will be ongoing all day long. As a result, we must close about half of the trails to non-race traffic. Access to the trails from the main trailhead at the old ski resort w ... Read More »

STAB Tuesday Night Ride

This weekly ride has been going on since 1991, traditionally announced in rhyme. All are welcome to join, with ride groups formed based on ability. Every other week, the ride is at Ascutney Trails, with visits to other venues in between. We always meet at 5:45, get organized, and head out by 6:00 ... Read More »

2010 Kona Stab Deluxe for first DH bike?

G'day there. I am looking to buy my first DH bike. I am an experienced rider and currently ride a 160mm bike for All Mountain and light Downhill. I am a big unit (6'4" and 115kg) and have a very limited budget. I have found a 2010 Kona Stab Deluxe in LARGE for a great price (under AU$1000) and w ... Read More »

Help! kona stab 08 broken rear axle

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]I broke my 04/05 mavic rear axle. the pin number is m40739. can anyone help me find it. i can't find it anywhere.[/FONT][/COLOR]Read More »

PAID SPAM: Bike for sale KONA STAB SUPREME!!!

Hey guys, here is my DH bike that has been in the garage for a while not being ridden... PM me if you are interested in checking it out! [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=86220&title=kona-stab-supreme-downhill-bike-fox-40-hadley-hubs-code-brakes&cat=3]Kona Stab Supreme Down ... Read More »