Kona Stab 2003 Full Suspension

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by BigDog a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2004

Strengths:    Incredible strength with great looks !
Great price (one reason why I purchased this).

Weaknesses:    For my style of riding, the large 42 teeth chain ring.
The front brake line getting caught in front wheel.

Bottom Line:
Fabulous bike ! It has a strong, attractive frame.
Would like SPV all round, but the Juniour T and
Fox RC are still damn good. Great bike for downhill
but if you want freeride then maybe not as it is
heavy.
I love this bike and look forward to many more Kona
bikes in the future.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized BigHits, Giant DH Comp, Norco.

Bike Setup:   As stock, but with new front brake line attachment,
a 36 teeth chain ring

Submitted by Rob a Downhiller from Newtown, Ct

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2004

Strengths:    Indestructible. Mine isn't a 2003, it is really a 2002.5. It feels bottomless(I gues because it is). Paint looks good. Nothing, and I mean nothing handles better in the air. It is like a missile.

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses..... um, none!

Bottom Line:
This thing is awesome! It takes big hits with ease. It sucks up everything. Big hucks, gap jumps, you name it. LAunch it, huck it, chuck it. Nothing handles better. It is awesome. It is bottomless, even with its terrible fox shock(fox sucks, dont buy em). Sweet ride. Buy it(i got mine frame only)If you is a freerider, buys its.

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruc Bullit, Stinky Primo, Big Hit experet, Banshee Scream

Bike Setup:   Custom built Marzocchi super t single crown doppio air fork, azonic stuff(Chubby bars, short stem, hotseat) Sun single tracks maxxis mobsters(2.7) hayes

Submitted by nic rud a Downhiller from prince george

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Strengths:    stock components fit well to together. The white tigers stick to the ground like glue. 321d's are bomb proof, I cased hard. The vanilla rc's easy to set up. The stab is easy to petal hardly any noticeable movement. I got the small and it is responsive. It's a nice ride

Weaknesses:    none that I have found yet

Bottom Line:
I can ride anything!!!!!!!!
This bike makes me invincible!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   a- line

Similar Products Used:   stinky dee lux, big hit, specialized fsr enduro (previous bike)

Bike Setup:   stock except I took off the mrp and now have a rock gard and two small chain rings with race face prodigy dh cranks

Submitted by Scott Etler a Weekend Warrior from Schweich, Germany

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2003

Strengths:    It's a KONA. Solid and unbreakable.

Weaknesses:    Not really a problem with the bike but on my first ride, the rear disk caliper coming apart. I just bought the bike and had to send it away for 2 1/2 weeks for warranty work. Not much tire/fork clearance. Tires are tearing the inside of the fork apart (down to and into the metal).

Bottom Line:
Wish it was a Stinky Primo. I went into my LBS to buy the Stinky Primo and was told that there are none available anywhere and it would be several months until the European distributor would get any in. The money I had burned a hole in my pocket and I walked out the the shop with the STAB. I have no regrets. This is an unbelievable bike. Gives me a ton of confidence when barrelling downhill and launching it. Well balanced, wheelies and manuals are a breeze. I love the Junior T (though I wish i didn't have to take it apart to adjust the dampening). I don't think I will be able to break the bike, I think it will break me first.

Bike Setup:   Stock. I plan on putting a RF North Shore crank on it, however I am happy with the MRP/Hussefelt setup(so far).. Will also eventually trade out the 2.5s Tiogas and throw on 2.4s to save my fork.

Submitted by Louis from Hawaii, US

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2003

Strengths:    One heavy, solid, unbreakable beast. Marzocchi Jr. T totally compliments this bike. The Kona catalogue says that it comes with a 32t chain ring with MRP World Cup 2. But actually, it's a 42t and i'm very happy with it.

Weaknesses:    Chain jumps of cassetes while back pedaling from the MRP WC2.

Bottom Line:
For the price, an awesome DH/freeride bike. Only ridden this bike DH a couple of times, but I am going to break it in sometime this month or two and I'll come back to post again some more comments.
Awesome bike.

Favorite Trail:   Saint Louis Heights, Hawaii

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   All stock and keeping it that way. Hayes HFX-mags HD Hydr, 42t chainring w/ Truvativ Hussefelt cranks, MRP WC2, XT rear deraileur, Fox RC Shock, Marzocchi Jr. T, Tioga White Tiger 2.5" tires (these are invincible).

Submitted by Josh Somers from Vic Aus

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2002

Strengths:    The 2003 Jr T's are sweet, Vanilla RC shock, MRP chain device. It comes ready to race out of the box

Weaknesses:    Rear hub is just some shimano junk

Bottom Line:
This is an awsome bike, I would recomend it for any downhiller with a budget or someone who likes to hit some dirt jumps. Good in the technical stuff too. Great all round bike.

Favorite Trail:   Trafalgar

Purchased At:   VIC MTB

Similar Products Used:   Specialized big hit's, Kona Stinky's

Bike Setup:   Completly stock except for the tyres which are now Specialized Roller's thin sidewalls, heaps lighter than the white tigers

Submitted by Troy a Downhiller from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2002

Strengths:    Extremly well built bike which will hold up to anything you can throw at it. Very forgiving if you land wrong with it's 7 to 8 inch rear and new 32mm 7inch JrT's from Marzocchi. The best freeride bike I have ever riden.

Weaknesses:    Only weakness is the weight, but a tyre change to the specialized DH tyre's reduced the bikes weight by 1kg.

Bottom Line:
The best bloody freeride bike you will ever ride. For the 7 inch front and rear it doesn't have too much pedal bob.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere Freerideable

Purchased At:   VicMTB

Similar Products Used:   Kona Dudu '00, Kona Stuff '02, Kona Roast '02, Kona Roast '00, Kona Scab '01, Kona Stuff '01, Kona Scab '02, Stinky Dee-Lux '00

Bike Setup:   Stock Standard exept for tyres and a headlock.

PAID SPAM: Bike for sale KONA STAB SUPREME!!!

Hey guys, here is my DH bike that has been in the garage for a while not being ridden... PM me if you are interested in checking it out! [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=86220&title=kona-stab-supreme-downhill-bike-fox-40-hadley-hubs-code-brakes&cat=3]Kona Stab Supreme Down ... Read More »

Ascutney Trails (STAB) Update

TRAIL REPORT (for more info on Ascutney Trails go to [URL="http://www.stabvt.org"]www.stabvt.org[/URL]) We've opened Upper Mile-Long Field, Lower Fielder's Choice, New Belle and Arrow Route since last week. Note the wet area and red trails on this map are STILL CLOSED. Don't cross the red ribbon! ... Read More »

My second stab at making a GoPro video.

Okay, it's been 4 days since I've had this camera. Here is my second attempt at glory. This footage is from today's afternoon ride. It was sunny and bright, but the trails were still a little wet and soggy from all the rain we've been getting lately. I added some angle and different POV's. ... Read More »

STAB recommendations

I'm looking to head up to STAB this week. Anyone have some recommendations on a good loop or must-ride trails? To give you an idea of my riding preferences, I'm much more of a fan of Kingdom Trails than Millstone. I like flow with some tech but not too much that I can't get a rhythm. Thanks!Read More »

video at STAB's Sport Trails at Mt. Ascutney

Just a taste of the 30 miles of XC we've been riding at Mt. Ascutney in southeastern Vermont. [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyR93Vjk0LI]Biking Sport Trails at Mt Ascutney - YouTube[/url]Read More »