Kona Kikapu Deluxe 2003 Full Suspension

4.21/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by need2gothere a Cross Country Rider from lake elsinore ca usa

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2010

Strengths:    reliable, durable

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
I beat the crap out of the stock version of this bike with little more than decent maintenance and it has held up extremely well. bought new '03 in spring of '04. (replaced big c f1000 hard tail that i beat up for as many years prior) finally purchased used rock shox revelation fork 12/09 after stock bomber wore out. with new fork, saddle, tires and grip shifting, best brakes i could find- bike inspires me. still a blast to ride.

Favorite Trail:   san juan

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   trek and cannondale

Bike Setup:   stock and upgrades

Submitted by Brian T a Cross Country Rider from Norwich

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2007

Strengths:    Price!Awsome, Full Susp..

Weaknesses:    Handlebars are Thin,Deore shifters and Deore front dur.

Bottom Line:
With the price of this full suspention bike you can do a few Up-grades and Make it your own!I bought an 06 and the shop knocked off $300.Thats the cash i used for the up grades.Sweet Machine, Nice ride, Alot of bang for the buck.

Favorite Trail:   Bluff Point

Purchased At:   Mystic Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Trek.

Bike Setup:   Upgrades:Race Face Bars,XT Shifters,XT Front Dur.,Race Face evolve Crank,Panaracer Tires

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Maple Ridge BC Canada

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2007

Strengths:    i have just a question how much does this weigh? thats is it.
put up on review..=thanks thanks

Bottom Line:
i want an answer

Submitted by Tony Carr a Weekend Warrior from Dorking, Surrey, UK

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2006

Strengths:    Strong frame, good stability, looks good, wearing well after 2000 miles

Weaknesses:    Can be a bit flighty sometimes if not fully concentrating. The setup of standard BB and cranks - woefull! Had massive chainsuck with Raceface cranks everytime I went from middle to granny. Chainsuck almost ruined swinging arm!!

Bottom Line:
Good all round bike, used to ride most evenings last summer locally in North Downs area averaging 20-30 miles per night and 60 -80 miles on a weekend - bike never let me down after chainset and BB was changed. Did south Downs way on it and it was an excellent ride on the kona. Good for weekend warrior and intermediate loon wanting some XC/single track fun.

Favorite Trail:   North Downs area

Purchased At:   Nirvana, Westcot, Surrey

Similar Products Used:   Scott something or other and Marin :)

Bike Setup:   Back shock at 120, front shocks at ?? can't remember lol, Nirvana did a swap (at no cost) of swinging arm, cranks and BB to Shimano LX with hollow BB set - beeeeoootiful

Submitted by Jared Lester a Weekend Warrior from Nashua

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2005

Strengths:    Heavy, Durable, Could bve used by a Grizzly Bear

Weaknesses:    Breaks Easily, Constant Maintenance Problems, Gear S

Bottom Line:
DONT BUY THIS BIKE... IF YOU RESPECT MY OPINION

Favorite Trail:   Happy?

Similar Products Used:   Cake 2 DLX Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   5:1 Gear Ratio with Hard Bikes

Submitted by David Lemos a Weekend Warrior from Windsor California USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2004

Strengths:    I got this bike for Christmas, and it is one awesome bike! It handles everything well and the bike shop took
$600 of the normal price, love the color and everything; great bike.

Weaknesses:    NOTHING

Bottom Line:
Great bike, reccomend to all!! Really good cross country Always go with KONA!

Purchased At:   East Side Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specilized (don't know how to spell it) big hit and giant stp1

Bike Setup:   full suspedntion front bomber shocks and back has Fox float

Submitted by Drew a Weekend Warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2003

Strengths:    pedals very efficiently,some bob when standing, light weight, stiff chasis, nimble as well as burly, can handle agressive riding up to carefully performed 4 and 5 foot drops. on trail although bike performs best in agressive XC conditions. At high speeds the bike can get a little jumpy but handles very well in turns accelerates well and is a great climber.

Weaknesses:    not much small bump absorbtion, BB creaking

Bottom Line:
If you are anyone from the weekend warrior to the agressive XC racer looking for an easy to pedal bike that can also hang when the trail gets rough, this is the bike for you. Weight is kept to a minimum (Easton Ultralite Aluminum Tubing)while the strength of the overall bike is hardly compromised. If you are looking to freeride downhill or urban, try something else! Trail warriors and endurance riders may be on to something here...

Favorite Trail:   Bennett Gap

Bike Setup:   I have since switched to avid mechanical disc brakes with 160mm rotors for easy on trail brake adjustment.Ryhnolite XT disc wheels,wheels added some weight but lots of strength and steadyness in fast bumpy conditions.

Submitted by Julian from England

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2003

Strengths:    Light, good components, lock outs front and rear, decent brakes, excellent XC bike and good value if you can get a discount.

Weaknesses:    Remote lock out would have been nice

Bottom Line:
Tested back to back the nearest competition was in fact the NRS2 but the Kona is just a better alround package!! Marin Very dissapointing unless you want the option of 6" travel at the rear.

Similar Products Used:   Tested the following at dealer before purchase, Scott Strike Team,Orange Sub 5, Giant NRS 2,Marin Rock Springs

Bike Setup:   Std

Submitted by Nat a Cross Country Rider from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2003

Strengths:    Handles really well
Not too heavy
Versatile
Rear shock lock out which I used a lot.
Breaks are nice and perform well, and dont add much expense to the whole package.
I got the bike after a bumpy 24 hr race on a hard tail, and swore I would never ride a hardtail again, and after riding the Kikapu delux for a month or so it was so nice, I thought that it was the answer (as you do when you buy a new bike).

Weaknesses:    I had several difficulties initially with rear hub and gear changing. May relate to assembly.
Rear suspension 'bobs' a lot, and I'm interested to read reviews that say it doesnt. I weigh about 70kg (154 pounds)and when I get off the saddle I lose heaps of power. I have some benchmark climbs that I use to compare bikes and compare tyres etc and the power of a hardtail beats the dual on almost any steep climb, technical or not.
I have just broken the frame (fatigue fracture of chainstay near the weld) so time will tell on the warranty service....
I also had some troubles with the disc brakes (shimano deore) with taking the wheels on and off. They often required adjustment. The brakes perform very well when they are aligned.
Marzoucchi bombers took a while to smooth out. I dont use the front lock out very much, but it does improve power if you use it. The lock out has stuck a couple of times throwing me into downhills with not much travel.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a nice ride, with nice but affordable components.
It handles really well and is versatile enough to race and free ride....
But if you want to win XC races, I think you lose too much on the climbs to use this bike.
If you are racing 24 hour races the plush handling and rear suspension will almost certainly save you time by the end.
But, somehow my frame broke and that's not really ideal...

Favorite Trail:   'Lava' (chch)

Purchased At:   maladjusted Canberra australia

Similar Products Used:   None for any length of time.

Bike Setup:   changed saddle to fizik, otherwise as it came.

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Northern California

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2003

Strengths:    Breaks, shifters, raceface crank, Marzoochi fork, Fox float rear shock. Get the picture, no upgrades needed on this bike. Handles very good. Rear suspension is top notch. Has lock out both front and rear but I don't think it's necessary. To me it's a very light bike. It looks good.

Weaknesses:    The rider is the biggest weakness. Kona grips feel like your holding a bare handlebar. Kona seat was the first to go.

Bottom Line:
I put alot of work into buying this bike and this was the best setup for the money that I could find. I'm what you would call a Clydsdale. With a Camelback full of water and tools I can tip the scales at about 250 lbs. After riding this bike for 5 minutes I felt like this is the bike I've been ridding for a year. Suspension is plush but not overly bouncy so I can't feel any bob. I rode the Flume trail on this bike and it just performed flawless,very comfortable. The only discomfort I've expirenced is the grips. Because of my size & weight I almost got sucked into the 5-6 inches of travel craze that seems to be the fad. Long travel bikes are nice if your doing 10'jumps but for the rest of us it just means more weight. This bike feels light, handles great and climbs like you wouldn't believe and I haven't come close to bottoming out the suspension. Shimano disk breaks are second to none, quiet and they feel good. The only bad thing, and it almost kept me from buying this bike, is the name. Whoever is the brainchild behind the name Kikapu should be spanked. If you want a bike with the upgrades on then this is the bike for you. Bottom line, there are alot of nice bikes out there. It's hard to buy a bad bike but this one is a winner you will not regret buying this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Flume

Purchased At:   The back country

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0, Haro X3& X2, Marin Mount Vision, KHS 1500, K2 attack 3.0, Marin Bear Valley.

Bike Setup:   Speed vee seat. Everything else stock.

Submitted by GordonG a Cross Country Rider from Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    Nice build, good components, great geometry, it's a Kona :)

Weaknesses:    Too fast for me!

Bottom Line:
This is my third Kona, my first full-suspension bike. Geeze, I wish my back had discovered rear suspension ages ago! Would have saved a lot of pain. When I first got the bike, it was set up for America (front brake lever on the left, not the right as here in Aus) and I promptly launched myself over the top on my first ride. You can't blame the bike, but it definitely proved the brakes are the best I've ever used.

The bike accelerates like a rocket out of corners and up hills, even with this fat old fart on it, is comfortable to ride, looks good even though the colour is not quite what I'd expected, although it grows on you.

If I had to pick any problem area, it would be one that applies to all full-suspension bikes: I've yet to see one that was easy to clean!

I'd recommend this bike to anyone who has deep enough pockets - it's actually worth the money...

Favorite Trail:   Not too hard, please!

Purchased At:   The BikeMan Cairns

Similar Products Used:   Previous bikes Kona Caldera, Kona Pahoehoe

Bike Setup:   Standard apart from lights and speedo and stuff like that

Submitted by Phil a Weekend Warrior from Hoboken,NJ

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight frame, fully adjustable suspension with lockouts, quality components, and it's a Kona!

Bottom Line:
Awesome lightweight machine for racing or for the weekend warrior. You can't beat a Kona whether you're carving up the singletrack, or bombing down hills...

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell

Purchased At:   Cycle Palace

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F900

Submitted by COLT a Cross Country Rider from THAMES VALLEY UK

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight and feels ‘tight’, nice suspension feel both ends, disc brakes exceptioonal.

Weaknesses:    No rebound adjustment. No complete lockout on the forks, goes down to – 30mm. Saddles a bit hard for an oldie on XC rides – ok I’m only 32 !

Bottom Line:
Firstly don’t let the colour in the brochure deceive you, it’s not bright yellow but a really nice dark gold colour.
I was initially going to go for the Kikapu but UK supply delays until May put me off, I’m glad I didn’t however as this bike rocks. It feels light and manageable at 26.9 pounds and perfectly balanced with a really plush suspension system even for me at 6’4” and 16.5 stone. Compared to the other bikes I rode it felt 'tight' with no wallow or loose feel although to be fair I only rode them on the hard stuff.
I was slightly disheartened that the Float RL wasn’t on the bike with rebound adjust but with the stock set up I’ve got it feels just right on the rough and smooth. The lockout lever is a nice addition because lets face it most of us ride on the road or steep flat sections at some point. Having said that I don’t actually lock it out that much favouring the floaty rear end – I’ve been on a Hard tail for 8 years !
The brakes are superb with no fade and nearly threw me over the front on the streets in my home town.
Lastly in true Kona style its nice to see a varied mix of quality componentry adding to the look and feel of the bike. All in all I am extremely pleased with this bike and it’s a real joy to ride. Despite a few very minor weaknesses I give it a score 4.5

Favorite Trail:   CHILTERN HILLS

Purchased At:   Bike Dock NI 20% Discount

Similar Products Used:   Klein Palomino, Klein Adept, Specialised Epic, Specialised Enduro/Enduro Comp

Bike Setup:   Stock except addition of Lizard skins. New saddle soon.

Submitted by TERRY KUTZBACH a Cross Country Rider from MESA, AZ. USA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2002

Strengths:    VERY LIGHTWEIGHT FRAME AND COMPONENTS, ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION, QUALITY FRAME

Weaknesses:    NONE SO FAR

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A GREAT XC RACING MACHINE, ACCELERATES QUICKLY AND CARVES THE CORNERS WELL. NICE MIX OF COMPONENTS AND A QUALITY FINISHED PRODUCT. IDEAL FOR SERIOUS RIDER INTERESTED IN LIGHT WEIGHT XC RACE MACHINE.

Favorite Trail:   MC DOWELL MOUNTAIN REGIONAL PARK

Purchased At:   EHRHARDT CYCLERY

Kikapu Deluxe rebuild

I've decided to rebuild my 07 kikapu deluxe as a light XC bike. My other bike is a burly 6" intense and I'm wanting something more XC focused that I can take out for lunch rides and the like, nothing revolutionary as that was the kikapus original intent anyways. I originally got the frame back ... Read More »

Paid spam: 2007 Kona Kikapu Deluxe frame

[url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=63845[/url] Asking price is $350 or best offer.Read More »

Paid spam: 2007 Kona Kikapu Deluxe frame

Kikapu Deluxe Build up

I started by first bike build. Its based off an 07 Kikapu Deluxe. Specs as follows. 07 Kikapu Deluxe w/Fox Float R - weight - 5 lbs 10 oz. Rock Shox Reba Race 100mm Race Face Deus headset Titech Hellbent riser bars Titech Hellbent seatpost WTB Speed V saddle FSA Afterburner crankset w/MegaExo BB M ... Read More »

I've done my research, but I need advice. '08 Giant Trance 2 or Kona Kikapu Deluxe??

Hey everyone. So, I'm getting back into riding after taking a few years off. I'm really excited, but my bike is a bit aged ('99 GT iDrive). I've done a LOT of research and catch-up on the latest and greatest, but I need some advice about which bike I should buy. Given my budget of about $120 ... Read More »