Kona Kahuna 2003 Full Suspension

4.24/5 (25 Reviews)

Submitted by Brandon Tooper

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2013

Strengths:    I got this bike from my dads friend, even though it was used this bike performs great. I re-did all the wiring and housing on it and soon going to do the brakes.

Weaknesses:    not disc brakes

Bottom Line:
Kona Kahuna is a Great bike and i would recommend this to my friends and you

Submitted by ralbach a Cross Country Rider from clemson, sc, united states

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2009

Strengths:    Everything.... I really love this bike. For the money i payed, i couldnt ask for anything better. I have friends that have Gary Fisher bikes and the like....all i have to say is that this bike is miles ahead of those pieces of crap. My bike has fallen (with me) off of a 10 foot cliff and came out with nothing more than scratches on the seat. (although i cant say the same for myself) The bike gives me way more confidence than i should have at my level of riding, but i'm not sure thats a bad thing. The components are great for the price and fit the bike very well. The only other comment worth mentioning is that i only way a little more than 100 pounds, so i can probably get away with more than the average rider.

Weaknesses:    Cheap front fork.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike if you can find one. Its a wonder they were ever put out of production. I have no complaints.

Favorite Trail:   Isaquena

Purchased At:   EBAY!!!

Bike Setup:   Bone Stock... my plan has been to replace parts with better ones as they break, but unfortunately no matter how much i beat the crap out of this thing... it just soaks it all up.

Submitted by Mitch Stapo from kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2006

Strengths:    Well so far so good, the bike is light (i replaced the heavy coil with a lighter fox float) and reasonably strong, it gets me up the hills and isnt to bad going down

Weaknesses:    well i geuss a weakness would be that my brother snapped a kahuna under warranty and i ended up with the replacement frame.

Bottom Line:
a kahuna is a great cross country bike but i advice you not to ever do big jumps on one or you could snap it and end up in emergency care at the hospital for 2 hours.

Favorite Trail:   Twin Peaks (bukit kiara)

Similar Products Used:   the only other bikes i ve had are a giant yukon (a begginers hardtail) and a Lerun (a cheap ****** bike that wasnt the best even in its dreams).

Bike Setup:   Fox float shock, marzocci bomber forks, xt (front)and deore (back) deralers, and more

Submitted by mark a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2004

Strengths:    When i fisrt got the bike i thought that it was awsome, I could pull big jumps and survive, well sorta. I thought everything was great then...

Weaknesses:    as said before i thought the frame was tough as nails until i jumped off a small set of stairs about a foot high and the frame sanped IN 2 at the WELDING!!!! I spent 2 hours in hospital, but luckelly everuthing else on the bike survived.

Bottom Line:
i understand that this bike is awsome value and IS a pretty tough frame, just watch for cracks in the WELDING because my dads frame cracked as well but his was fixable. Buy this bike if you dont jump... If you do, buy the coiler or the dawg.

Bike Setup:   WHat BIKE?!?!

Submitted by b a a Cross Country Rider from brooklyn, ny

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    Good name-brand component setup, albeit bottom-of-the-line, at a comparatively inexpensive price. Great looks.

Weaknesses:    Sun Mach IV rims. They either have metal burs inside or are just poorly built, a flat every time out. A little on the heavy side at 31+ lbs. (16")

Bottom Line:
This is my first mountin bike. At a fairly advanced age (49), I decided I wanted to try some off-road fun. I decided how much I wanted to spend (C $1000), and started reading reviews online. Then I hit all the bike shops in and around Brooklyn and Long Island (nobody carries everything) for some test riding. I actually liked the feel of the Giant and the Marin, but the Kona had better components than the Marin, and had the looks all over the Giant and was cheaper. The black and silver just looks so sweet! After riding for a year and swapping out those awful Sun rims, I think I made the right decision, although I don't really have anything to compare it to, as this is my first mountain bike. However, it has held up to all of the spills I have taken, and I can tackle every uphill and downhill I have encountered. So, if you don't mind the weight, and you can't afford a more expensive bike, I recommend the Kona Kahuna. It looks great, and you can always upgrade later.

Favorite Trail:   rocky point

Purchased At:   cyclepath, wainscott, ny

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS 3, Marin East Peak, Trek Fuel 80, Gary Fisher Sugar 4+ ('02), Schwinn Moab DS2 (ugh!), Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock except: Mavic X517 rims, Specialized S-Works SL Control/Master tires, no-name flat bars, Ritchey seatpost, SDG Satellite Landing Strip saddle.

Submitted by jason orr a Weekend Warrior from portsmouth, nh

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2004

Strengths:    Built classic Kona tough

Weaknesses:    Rear suspension connecting rod needs better design.
Rock Shox front fork Stinks. This had been corrected on later bikes

Bottom Line:
I'm impressed by the frame toughness. This was my first real mountain bike and I got into the sport thinking that I would only go out on it once in a while. I now ride as much as possible and beat the heck out of the frame ( much more than it was designed for I'm sure). I've had very little problems with the bike as a whole but if I had to do it over I think I would get a higher end Kona with better components and more travel.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Rock

Purchased At:   Papa wheelies

Similar Products Used:   1st bike.

Submitted by Ryan Charlston a Downhiller from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2004

Strengths:    Strong Frame, disk ready hubs and forks. The riser handlebars are great!!! The kona saddle is really comfortable for 70K + rides.

Weaknesses:    The rear shock

Bottom Line:
This an awsome bike for someone like me (15yrs-55kgs) who used to do downhill but needs a bike that can handle the ups with the other people i ride with but still be able to hit the large jumps and come out alive. i give this bike 5 flaming chillies!!!

Favorite Trail:   Big Muma,Freeride'n

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Similar Products Used:   marin shorline trail.(Crappy componentry)

Bike Setup:   so far only some redline platform pedals but when i get some money i will get hydraulic disks and a better rear shock.

Submitted by Bob S. a Cross Country Rider from K.L

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2004

Strengths:    Great durible frame, takes large abuse from me and the 4+ ft. jumps I do. I really enjoy having the bikes but there were a few things i had to change.

Weaknesses:    Haven't really found any so far, except for the wheels that slightly reseble tacos now, I had to change those and the back shock!!!(So HEAVY!!!!!!)

Bottom Line:
I actually like this bike better than the giant, i don't like giants much... The bike is great for the cost, I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with the Vannilla shock, it weighs so much. The forks are defanitly worth changing because if you weigh over 60KG you will probably break the HEAVY DUTY spring like i did. Other than this the bike is great, even if you do vaugly resemble a free rider.
SPREAD THE GROVE!!!

Favorite Trail:   Lightning Ridge, Bukit Kiara

Similar Products Used:   Giant Nrs 3 XTC Team (SOOOOOO Expensive!!!!!!!!!!)

Bike Setup:   Mazzocchi MX Comp+ETA, Yeti speed grips (Ahhh, heaven on handlebars), Shimano SPD clips and Shimano Deore Mechanical Discs.

Submitted by matt from maine

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2004

Strengths:    you can upgrade everything, very strong( can handle some freeriding), good price, lite,

Weaknesses:    bad fork, i upgraded to a black comp 100-120 mm, rebound
no clipless pedals,
no disk brakes,

Bottom Line:
overall this is a sweet bike, if you abuse your bike alot like i do i would recomend getting this bike and then upgrading parts such as fork, disk brakes,and clipless pedals, and thick tires. after you do that this bike can handle everything. i go freeriding with my friends who have stinkys and gemini's, and i can go off everything they can, for half the price. i would recomend this bike to everyone from cross country to freeriders who cant afford a kona stinky.

Bike Setup:   manitue black comp suspension fork w/100-120mm travel and rebound, upgraded to clipless pedals, upgraded to disk brakes, and thicker tires

Submitted by Nico a Weekend Warrior from Italy

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2004

Strengths:    Low Price for a years proven geometry.Best full suspension bike in price range.
NNNice handling! Comfy.

Weaknesses:    No rebound control on rear shocks, but is a good Fox shock.
Frame is a little flexy when I make big drops but it's not free ride bike. I don'tlike the front shock then
I suggest to replace the fork with a more travel one... Psylo or MX Comp eta (4 or 5 inch).

Bottom Line:
Good package for the price paid, even for a front suspension.
If you want a bike for long Weekend battles it's a perfect choice, i forgot easily my old front suspension.
( 4 chili's value only for the fork )

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Mx Comp eta 105 mmm.

Submitted by WEE BILL MCMASTER a Cross Country Rider from LARNE,CO.ANTRIM.N.IRELAND

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2003

Strengths:    REALLY GOOD ON FAST AND TECH SINGLETRACK.WELL SPEC'D FOR THE PRICE.

Weaknesses:    FRONT FORK.SILLY PEDALS.

Bottom Line:
I'VE HAD THIS BIKE FOR 9MTHS NOW,APART FROM CHANGING THE BRAKES TO DISC AND THE PEDALS TO CLIPLESS,I CAN'T FIND FAULT.I'D LIKE TO CHANGE THE FRONT FORK FOR MORE TRAVEL,BUT THE STOCK FORK IS GOOD ENOUGH TO DO WHAT THE BIKE IS MEANT FOR.I'VE NO REGRETS ON BUYING.A LOT OF GRINS/MILE.
I ONLY PAID £640.00 FOR THIS BIKE THANKS TO BIKEDOCK & KONA CASHBACK.

Purchased At:   bikedock.co.uk

Bike Setup:   MAGURA DISCS, SHIMANO 545 PEDALS,ALL THE STOCK KIT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.

Submitted by Tami a Weekend Warrior from Elk River, MN

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2003

Strengths:    Shock & fork set up for a medium weight girl! Fits my short 5'3 frame well. Fun ride.

Weaknesses:    First ride had three flats because of burrs inside the rims.
Sun Mach 4's. Sure made use of my hubbie's patch kit! This was quite dissappointing.

Bottom Line:
I really like the bike if could keep air in the tires. I do like how the suspension works for a beginner rider. When I get better I might have to upgrade the fork and get rebound on the shock.

Favorite Trail:   River Bottoms

Purchased At:   Now Sports

Similar Products Used:   ?

Bike Setup:   Stock (so far)

Submitted by Grasshopper a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2003

Strengths:    Price, aesthetics ( not too important, but a bike should look cool when you spend hard earned cash on it ), smoothness of ride, disc brake ready.

Weaknesses:    Not too many !

Bottom Line:
As a beginning rider who does not know too much about the technical aspects of the sport, I'll try to explain my limited experience...

I like to ride. I like to ride as fast as possible and catch modest air off of rocks, logs and uneven terrain. I like it when my legs burn on the ups and my lungs are ready to explode. Bring the rocks and the logs because I'll fall hard and get back on bruised and battered or pick up the bike and walk. I like racing through single track with friends that are pros and watching them leave me in a dust cloud. I like the high fives when I finally catch up.

That being said, the Kahuna has let me have a great experience for a small amount of money. I don't know what aspects of the bike are the reason for this , so I can't microanalyze it. Sorry. But if you are like me and want to ride or have been riding on a limited budget, the Kahuna rocks.

Purchased At:   Cycles BiKIyle

Similar Products Used:   Voodoo, Trek

Bike Setup:   I switched out the stock deraileurs and installed Shimano XT. Also switched to Shimano XT drive train and 515 pedals.

Submitted by Zeb Chamlee a Cross Country Rider from Greenville, SC USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2003

Strengths:    its Kona

Weaknesses:    none, its a Kona

Bottom Line:
incredible value. by far the best FS in its price range. this bike is definitly set up for XC. would like more than an 80mm fork and a shorter stem, but for the price this bike is incredible. the components are decent for the price, with deore derailleurs and avid vees. it handles incredibly. i test rode dakar, and it just sucked. the first ride i was blown away at how much a good bike can improve your ride. its also completely disc ready, with hubs and all. 5 flamin' chilis from me!!!

Favorite Trail:   ones i can ride my bike on

Purchased At:   Sunrift Adventures