Klein Palomino Team 2003 Full Suspension

4.54/5 (24 Reviews)

Submitted by m_pianoman a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2012

Strengths:    Light, nimble (despite the extra few inches of wheelbase), efficient pedalling, fast! Gorgeous paint - looks better dirty though

Weaknesses:    well, Klein and Maverick are now both gone :(

Bottom Line:
I love it! Purchased last year freshly built-up with the Maverick suspension link (gives it a bit more laid back geometry than the Klein link from what I've read, is super stiff and rolls on bearings), also with Maverick D-link and derailleur kit. No issues with front shifting at all. Of course, I never rode it with the OEM mono link, but clearly the Maverick one works perfectly with their kit.Frame was never used by prior owner, so it's like a 2011 bike, albeit with V-brakes!

Can't say enough good things about the ride. I've always been a hard tail guy, but I can ride in comfort through the rough stuff now. I'm also finding it much easier on my knees. The rear suspension feels like it isn't there under pedalling, but also manages to soak up everything. Just got the Mbits shock back from service with Ethan Franklin, and it feels fantastic, even smoother and more sensitive to the small stuff than before. Since it's hard to say how long parts will be around for these shocks, I attached a bit of inner tube around the rear-facing part of the top shock bolt to protect it from gathering mud.

When purchased, was running a 130mm fork, which made climbing difficult. I've now swapped in a lighter 80-120mm fork, and running it around 100-110mm is the sweet spot. Climbs like a goat and seems more balanced. My new fork has 30mm stanchions, but I find it feels just as stiff. I guess it helps that I fully rebuilt it using Enduro seals (NOS Manitou from '05).

It's slightly tricky to get the seat post position perfect because of the angle it exits the frame at, but I had no real trouble. And since it's an XC rig, the post stays put 100% of the time anyway. I'm not sure what size the frame is but it seems to fit me perfectly, despite the 32" standover and my 32" inseam. Let's hope for no crotch-crushing incidents.

I run V-brakes since my hubs don't have disc mounts, but some research found that you can completely fix the vibrations caused with the bolt-on disc adapter by using a "Trek Fuel Stabilizer" strut from Brake Therapy. It's $40, and braces the 22mm disc mount from the top bolt to the V-brake boss on the frame. A cheap-o fix if you don't mind a strange 8" bar along your frame. Then again, V-brakes still work so well...

Favorite Trail:   Don River Trails

Purchased At:   Craigslist!

Bike Setup:   2003 Palomino Team frame in Great Barrier Reef Blue, Maverick Monolink, Maverick D-link kit with 10-speed road braze-on derailleur, '05 Manitou Black Platinum Air TPC 120mm 'Infinite Travel', XTR M950/952 group including V-brakes (with ultra-retro discobrakes boosters!), hubs laced to Mavic 717s, rapid-fire/lever combos, and rear mech. M960 cassette, Dura-Ace chain, Truvativ Stylo crankset, Thomson X4 stem and elite post, EA30 bar, Selle San Marco Integra seat, Odi lock-ons, Shimano M520 pedals

Submitted by Betzel a Weekend Warrior from Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2009

Strengths:    Ride, looks, quality.

Weaknesses:    Weight more or less. Rear shock adjustments, rear shock weight.

Bottom Line:
Bought a nos frame last year, this is a 2003 frame though. Build it up as a race bike at the beginning, build it as a trailbike just now.

I think it is a fantastic trailbike with 120mm fork and 100mm rear travel. It can handle lots of terrain and with 11 kilo's that mine weighs it goes uphill very good.

No bobbing while riding, good response of the suspension. I just love how it rides. Rear shock needs way less pressure than is stated for my weight. If i put in the pressure of the booklet i have a hardtail.

Looks are awesome. People turn around to look. Color and finish just superb.

Favorite Trail:   Bergschenhoek, NL

Bike Setup:   Fox F120RLC '09 / XTR group / Bontrager RXL wheels / Schwalbe Rocket Ron / Ritchey Superlogic / WCS parts / Tune parts.

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Wicklow/Dublin - Eire

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2005

Strengths:    This '03'frame with rear fox (bought frame only) is light and strong. It's not only able to go on the rough but also climbs like a cat too. Travel adjustment is sweat.

Weaknesses:    I'd have to agree with this comment from another rider a little further down: "The graphics are sometimes difficult to see. The Great Barrier Reef blue comes off more purple and green than blue." Anyway, this suits me as i like the colour and it creates some mystery about Klein.

Bottom Line:
With the Travel adjustment Fox on the rear and Terralogic Fox on the front i can climb when and what i want and decend thru most terrain at speed too. It's a comftable frame you can confide with and with the price i paid i am very happy to continue adding more good parts. I'd recommend it to anyone doing Crosscountry/Freeride.

Favorite Trail:   Djouce & TreeRock

Purchased At:   evanscycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Tried the '04'which is possibly even lighter but could've put Travel adjustment on the Mavick rear - very soft so it does not climb aswell as the '03'

Bike Setup:   My Palomino Team '03' is built up with '05' Terralogic (brain)Fox X100's, Hope M4's, FSA Carbon Pro's etc

Submitted by Adam Stone a Weekend Warrior from Port Credit,ON,Canada

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2004

Strengths:    Light,climbs well,smooth ride,excellent paint job

Weaknesses:    front derailleur design. I have to upgrade all my components to match the frame.

Bottom Line:
I bought the frame only after snapping my last one. So the review is just on the frame. Awesome is all I can say. This is such a sweet bike to ride. It is so light. You can hardly tell when you are riding up hill. The riders seating position is perfect. I have close to 1000 KM on this frame so far. I have had to tighten the bolts on the swing arm twice, regular maint. You have to have enough air pressure dialed in on the rear shock or your front derailleur will not shift right. I do not like the way the cable lines up with the front derailleur,a bit too much stress, but I have had no fraying yet so maybe it's just me. Sweetest graphics and paint. Total class.
I would recommend this frame to anyone who cross county/single track or just likes to get out for the weekend. I love to ride more than ever before just because of how nice it is to ride this bike.

Purchased At:   e-bay - frame only

Bike Setup:   xt front/rear derailleur.XT shifters.Avid single digit 7 brakes.Rock Shox Duke SL.Race Face BB/Cranks.Cane Creek HeadSet.Easton 70 Seat Post/Handle Bars/Stem. Crappy Wheels

Submitted by graham davies a Cross Country Rider from shakespeare land uk

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2004

Strengths:    rides like the rolls royce of bikes,sexy silent freewheel,amazing talas versatility,looks like the bassetts danglers!!(THAT'S A GOOD THING)

Weaknesses:    stock parts are dodgy on a 4k bike e.g klein tyres and grips,colourmore purple than sea blue,apart from those v.minor niggles,ther's nothing major

Bottom Line:
coming from a hardtail background i was a bit dubious on the whole full sus thing,i need'nt have worried,this bike is a dream,i can't believe how smooth it is over the rough stuff,it oddly gets even better the faster you go,on the flat with the fox locked out it out performs my zasker,it is a seriously good piece of kit,lance says it's not about the bike,well he's wrong,i'm riding up stuff i would'nt have even considered,get one it will make you look and feel like a pro!

Favorite Trail:   coed-brynan forest wales

Purchased At:   evans

Similar Products Used:   none, i'm a zasker veteran.

Bike Setup:   full xtr,fox talas,easton carbon carbon sl handlebar yeti hardcore etc

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Newton, NC

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2004

Strengths:    Typical for Klein, the fit and finish are pure class. The frame has worked well for me and I'm a TRUE CLYDESDALE! The Maverik suspension does what it says it does. And though the bike looks weird, it rides darn near as well as a hard tail without the jolts.

Weaknesses:    This pain scheme may have been a little over the top. The graphics are sometimes difficult to see. The Great Barrier Reef blue comes off more purple and green than blue.

Bottom Line:
It has taken me forever to find a full suspension bike that I like. I've spent the past four years riding a Klein
Attitude Comp. After that long on a light, agile and responsive hard tail it is hard to find a double squishy bike that feels right. To add to the problem the Maverick design is downright weird looking. When the frame was offered to me at a nice price, I had to try it. Who knew that a dual could be as sweet as a hardtail and without the sometimes harsh ride. Oh wait, I forgot, this is a Klein! There are hundreds of really great bikes for sale and I wouldn't say a bad thing about most; however, if you ever ride a Klein you will be spoiled for life. It is by far the best non-custom built bike and that is that.

Favorite Trail:   no pavement thank you!

Similar Products Used:   Jamis XLT 2.0, Haro Extreme, Fisher Sugar 3

Bike Setup:   Bought as frame. Has XT and XTR with an Ultega front derailleur. This was a suggested fix for a front shifting problem that is sometime associated with this bike. IT WORKS!! Mavic 517 w/XTR hubs and XTR v-brakes. Chris King headset, Thomson stem and post, Easton Monkey-lites, Hutchinson Mosquito airlites 2.3. I won't mention the fork because it will be changed as soon as the budget allows.

Submitted by David Scheer a Cross Country Rider from Williams Lake BC Canada

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2004

Strengths:    Quality of construction,climbs over steep rocky terrain like a billy goat,beautiful paint.

Weaknesses:    almost every one I meet wants me to stop so they can look at it.

Bottom Line:
This is a very well behaved trail bike that can be riden comfortably on all day epics,but really shines when you pick up the pace.every thing about this beast improves with speed.on steep rocky sections it almost seems to keep itself in motion.Ive been able to easily clear steep hills on this bike that have been impossible on the other bikes Ive owned.and it is just as impressive when pointed down hill.The paint job is a real atention getter.every one wants to have a close look.I purchased the frame only on ebay and am glad I did.

Favorite Trail:   power smart

Purchased At:   e bay

Similar Products Used:   rocky mountain element,rocy moubtain hammer race,Gary fisher f1,oryx equipe gold,pipeline,sugar.

Bike Setup:   Talas fork fsa carbon cranks time composite pedals,sram 9.0sl drive train,xt front der.mavic 517 with python golds.thompson seatpost slr saddle.avid ultimate v brakes.

Submitted by Luke a Weekend Warrior from St. Paul, MN US

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2004

Strengths:    Amazing ride! No bob in the rear suspension! It makes a great bike for racing or for taking big drop offs!

Weaknesses:    one word purple...

Bottom Line:
Klien makes a killer bike. I would recomend buying this bike to anyone of my friends, but try to get a discout. The bike is worth over 4 grand... BUT don't spend that much. Wait till the 2004 models come out and get a 2003 model. AWSOME BIKE BUY ONE.

Favorite Trail:   Indian Heights Rochetser MN

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Klien Mantra Race

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Thompson seat post, Ritchy Race Light handle bar and stem

Submitted by A N a Weekend Warrior from C'ville, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2004

Strengths:    Go from any bike you like to this one and you'll feel at home. The frame is solid and gives you good feedback on the trail. The suspension soaks up bumps that would otherwise hurt. Stretch out the 125mm Talas and let the downhill riding being. Reel the Talas into 85 or 100 and climb like you're on a hardtail or run cross country all day in comfort. You can't beat a bike with full XTR, proven geometry and a beautiful paint job.

Weaknesses:    The aluminum frame on this bike is very "responsive". I think some steel/titanium riders might even call it harsh. My background is BMX and rigid frames so I love what I consider a "reactive" bike that also smooths out the big bumps. If you are looking for a Cadillac bike this will be a weakness for you. The only other point of stress is the front derailleur, it's floating what more can you say... goodbye to bob hello to the tuning stand, it's worth it in my opinion, maybe not in yours.

Bottom Line:
To go from a rigid to a full suspension frame and be completely at home but riding way faster on all terrain on the first ride has to be a good thing. I just can't explain how comfortable I am on this bike... it just fits! Smooth, fast, attractive, XTR, Fox...

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   The Bike Stop

Similar Products Used:   Canondale Jekyl, Canondale Scalpel, Trek Fuel 98 (all only for test rides)

Bike Setup:   Stock (Fox Talas RLC, I noticed some Teams come with different front forks)

Submitted by Boris a Cross Country Rider from plainfield

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2003

Strengths:    This bike climbs very well. It seema to roll over obstacles easier than my hardtail.

Weaknesses:    4 sets of bushings in 600 miles. 1 new swing arm (never shaped correctly). And just last week trek put on a 2004 new maverick shock and a new mono-link.It seems I had one of the earlier ones that had lots of defects.

Bottom Line:
My last set of bushing loosened up (with a brand new swing arm) after 5 miles. About 50 miles later they were shot. My lbs has been great in trying to remedy the problem and push trek a little. They sent it to trek to be evaluated hoping for a 2004 frame replacement, but it was returned with the 2004 maverick shock which is a different ride all together. It uses higher psi than the m-bits shock(which started leaking).I never got an answer to why a new shock and a new mono-link were put on, but I just went out and did ten miles and it's still tight as can be.
This bike is a great ride, it's a goat and it's very plush. Buy the 2004. Klein welded a plate on the bottom of the swing arm for 2004 under the shock body which is supposed to stop it from getting sloppy if it does loosen up.
I'll give a good rating because when I got back on it after borrowing a bike for two weeks I realized what a dream it is to ride. If they tested the bike more before putting on the market I would have given it 5 chilis all the way

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from Denver CO

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2003

Strengths:
This bike climbs very well and descends pretty well too. Once adapted to the cockpit it handles very predictively and well. When the suspension is properly adjusted it hooks up better than anything out there. There are only 3 designs I would ride right now; the Maverick or Klein (very similar), the Blur or Spyder and the Specialized with the brain. To me this bike balances all the pluses well at a pretty reasonable price compared to the others especially Maverick. I had an I-Drive for years and I loved it. It was a much better descender than this bike but this bike works better all around and climbs in another ball park.

Weaknesses:    The product works well thanks Maverick, but the quality is not great, thanks trek. The suspension is designed poorly with the axel bolt sleeves spining in the frame and the rear end getting so much slop it hits the stays. You have to lock tight the bolt but even then it is either slop or to tight to really work the way it should. The bike shop is right now trying a remedy supplied by Klein. I will try to post when it is worked out. I hear and read that they are taking care of people with bushings if need be. We will see. There does not seem to be an excepted place to start to tune the suspension so you are guessing.

Bottom Line:
Once it is dialed in this bike rides like a dream. It was my favorite bike all around so far until the mechanical issue with the suspension. Getting the supension going took allot of trial and error but it is right where is should be now. I have heard people running anywhere from 35-90 in this shock which seems very strange. Aside from that I stilll love the bike. 3 Chillis for value because they are not cheap even if good in comparison. 4 Chillis for Overall though it is splitting hairs depending on the mechanical issues. I shoudl probably be harsher since it pissed me off all weekend tightening the bolts every 5 miles.

Favorite Trail:   4 Courners, this week

Purchased At:   Turin Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   I-Drive, Turner, LTS, Moots YBB, Dakar, Epic, FSR, Outland VPP.

Bike Setup:   I have a Race Fram built up with all XTR, A Fox Talus and the Shimano XTR tubeless wheels in size large.

Submitted by Dan Becraft a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Strengths:    What a nice ride! I was flying down a hill on Mt. Si and it handles soo much better than my Klein Mantra Pro did for over 1000 dollars more than this bike. Great handling on technical single track. I rode this bike on the MS 150 charity ride on Mt. Si and it was just enough suspension to hit the big stuff but not to much for the tight technical stuff.

Weaknesses:    There isn't much to talk about regarding the weaknesses. The only thing that I am getting use to is the 100mm of front fork travel which is more than my old fork at 70mm. But, that is more my weakness than the bikes.

Bottom Line:
You can not help but be noticed on this beautiful blue/green paint job! Funny thing is that if your going to drop 4 grand on a bike, please make it nice to look at. Because, most of the bikes in this price range are generally really good. The sad part is some of them look like crap! When your coming back from a ride in the mountains driving down the freeway and other drivers are checking out the look of your bike, then you know you have a great product that you can be proud to display on the back of your vehicle! I love it!

Favorite Trail:   Devils Gultch

Purchased At:   Gregg's Green Lake Cycle

Similar Products Used:   1997 Specialized S-Works
2000 Klein Mantra Pro

Bike Setup:   Full XTR (new XTR), Thompson seat post, Easton bar and Profile bar ends, Time ATAC Carbon Petals, Italia seat (blue), XTR Wheels and Python tires.

Submitted by Jerry a Cross Country Rider from Ft Walton Beach

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2003

Strengths:    -Paint. 'nuff said
-Fork. The new Fox TALAS RLC is an amazing ride. Adjustability, stiffness and small bump compliance are unbeatable.
-'03 XTR......takes a bit of getting used to and set up.....and I was a bit apprehensive.....but they're sweet!
-Great fit for me. I was looking for this exact bike....a xc race-able bike that had plenty of travel for some hard riding. You can't beat 25.5 lbs for a large.
-The most significat strenght is the ride. Maverick never should have let this cat out of the bag!
-IT COST ME NOTHING! why do you think I bought a bike shop?

Weaknesses:    Wheels are a bit flexy...comparable to 517's. If you're at or over 200 lbs, you'll notice it. (I'm used to Ryno Lites)
That's it.....no other weakness in my eyes.

Bottom Line:
I've always excelled at climbing. I love it. I find trails with as much elevation change as i can find. And this bike could be no more perfect for me. My riding is fluid, smooth and fast......but this bike won't keep me from 2-4 foot drops or any of my normal jumps.
Set-up is the key. The rear end cannot be under-sprung...it will insult the way this bike is supposed to ride.
I can't wait to race this bike. I can't wait till my 6-mile lunch ride. I can't wait till my lights charge for my next night-ride. I can't wait till my girlfriend goes on her first ride. I can't wait till my next ride..........

Favorite Trail:   Laurel Mountain, Pisgah NF, NC

Purchased At:   Bob's Cycling & Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper, Fuel 100, Sugar 2.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except I switched out the narrow rear tire to the 2.3 to match the front.......might switch to a King headset. Cane Creek needs to re-evaluate their products.

Submitted by calvin a Weekend Warrior from singapore

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2003

Strengths:    excellent climber, of course, smashing paintwork (as any1 would expect of a klein) & a really sexy geometry...

love the way the bike handles & responses, it ain't fluffy light but it's easy going on most of the terrains i've been thru' & on the road, it flys... :)

Weaknesses:    it's a lil pricy, but then again, it's a klein...
paint work? sounds contradictary but it's heartwrenching to see the paint peel off... *sigh*
my right crank arm can't seem to stay clear of the swingarm, they must be in love... ;p

Bottom Line:
a dream come true... :)

Favorite Trail:   anywhere my wheels bring me...

Purchased At:   frame from LBS A & components from LBS B... ;p