KHS XC904R 2003 Full Suspension

4.17/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by clint grainger a Cross Country Rider from ottawa

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2010

Strengths:    its realy smooth and fast while the frame lasts.

Weaknesses:    the frame is really weak and breaks very easily!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
THE FRAME SUCKS AND THE FRAME HAS THE WORST WARRENTY EVER FROM ANY BIKE COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   camp furtion

Purchased At:   a bike store in hull

Similar Products Used:   none ive always used khs bikes.

Bike Setup:   sid race with 4 inchs of travel,full xtr,front bomber xc retro, hayes front back disk brakes, race face carbon crank,time atac carbon peddles, monkey lite xc riser bar, mavic cross link wheelset, chris king head set,race seat post,easton stem,michelin tires,san marco seat and xtr cables and housing.

Submitted by Darrin Stein a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Strengths:    Everything, so far is great. Still learning the fine tuning of the rear shock.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing bike. I finally went from a hardtail to a full suspension and did alot of research, tried lots of different rides. I like this one due to it's set up, weight was very important to me and this is one of the lightest I found (around 24 lbs). It's definatly not a free ride bike, but will take alot of abuse. I know...I am in Ohio, but I am a veteran rider from Colorado and understand whats going on with this bike. Retail price is a bit high and I got smoking deal on this NEW bike (with full warranty in place) on eBay.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Michael Pike a Cross Country Rider from Pretoria, South Africa

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2005

Strengths:    Good value for money. Lightweight and responsive

Weaknesses:    Frame quality is the worst

Bottom Line:
I managed to do about 1700km on this bike in the 2 months I had it, before the seat tube snapped clean off. I am a light cross country rider (140lbs) and do not even jump off the pavement. Bike developed a creaking sound which I attributed to bottom bracket before breaking in spectacular fashion. Everyone I know who owns a 2003/2004 KHS has managed to break at least 1 frame. The worst is that after more than 3 months I am still without my replament frame. KHS have no problem replacing their frames because they know what rubbish they are selling. Avoid this bike at all costs!!!

Favorite Trail:   Sabie

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Morningside Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona

Bike Setup:   XT groupset, Avid brakes, Syncross wheels, Sid race front and rear.

Submitted by Downhill Danny a Racer from Johannesburg, South Africa

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2005

Strengths:    Fair priced product package. Comefortable frame, good suspension design, once rear shock is dialed in properly. Great Support from KHS

Weaknesses:    Frame Stength

Bottom Line:
Overall, been very happy with the bike and setup. Components have lasted reasonably well, given that I race XC and marathon races. SID rear shock needs careful preasurre setting to minimise suspension bob, and careful attention to pedalling style, especially at higher cadence.
I weigh 140 pounds and do not take jumps / drops higher than knee height, pure XC jeep track / single track terrain. After 2.5 years of faithfull service a crack developed on the bracket that ties the bottom end of the rear shock to the downtube. I had it welded and continued racing the bike for 3 months, where after another crack developed on the left hand side of the frame, just below the rear shock weld on the seat tube. Contacted LBS where the bike was bought originally, and they have arranged for a 2004 replacement frame. No questions asked, so full marks there to KHS. A fair number of other riders in the club with same model / newer 904 frames (silver ones) have experienced the same problem on their frames, especially along the seat tube. Given that all broken frames have been replaced everytime says something about KHS's support, but is still annoying when it happens due to loss of riding time.

Favorite Trail:   Sabie mountain areas

Purchased At:   Morning Side Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX870

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi MXC ECC, SID Race rear shock, XT shifters & derailleurs, Truvative FireX crank, Richey WCS seatpost, XSIV hydro brakes, XTR rims & hubs.

Submitted by matt a Cross Country Rider from La

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up review of the bike. Mine cracked on the lower mount for the rear shock. To my knowledge this is the only weak point. The medal here is very thin, esp. compared to other fames. KHS was great, they warrantied the frame and sent me a new 05. The paint job rocks on this thing. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Submitted by scott oakley a Cross Country Rider from cornelius, nc

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2004

Strengths:    Nice components for the price
World Cup SID w/ Remote Lock Out
Fox AVA R w/Remote Lock Out

Weaknesses:    Weighs 1.7lbs more than advertised. It has all original components and it weighs in at 26lbs. Still light enough, though.
Tires Panaracer Trail Blaster 1.95 should have used Panaracer XC Pro
WTB Laser Lite Wheelset should have used Mavic Crossmax SL
For the original MSRP should have came with Disc brakes

Bottom Line:
This was last year's model so the 45% discount (MSRP $3,300) makes it a great value. All of the components are above average. My old bike weighed 33lbs. The xc904r screams down the trails, it's like a dog tugging at the leash. I know it can go faster, I just don't know if I can. It's definitely a racing bike as the travel is only 3.75" front and back. When both ends are locked out, it's very rigid and sprints well. Compared to the DBR, it tracks much better and is more predictable, of course it's all because of the full suspension. The front end is lighter than I am used to and I find myself picking the wheel off the ground especially on climbs. The only weakness I have experienced is in the tires. The Trail Blasters have very little bite and spin easily on climbs. They are sketchy in corners. I have read some negative reviews on the wheelset. I don't think I will have a problem because I strictly do cross country and weigh 120lbs soaking wet. Needless to say, I am easy on all the components. The only change I plan to make is going with a EC90 flat bar. The DBR had a flat bar and I like it much better than a riser. Other than, that it's exactly what I wanted in a bike. Now the only thing left to do is find a race.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Norman

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Started out with a Giant DS2
Just put away DiamondBack DBR hardtail (23lbs) w/ Manitou Carbon fork, SRAM drivetrain, Titec package, etc.

Bike Setup:   World Cup SID w/Remote Lock Out
WTB Laser Lite Wheelsets
Panaracer TrailBlasters

Submitted by matt a Cross Country Rider from la

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2004

Strengths:    Very Strong, Very Light, 4-bar linkage

Weaknesses:    Stock rear air shock is horrible other than that none

Bottom Line:
This bike is perfect for XC riding and light downhill. It can take abuse and is light for full suspension which works great. I recommend KHS to anyone. Just replace that air shock with coil.

Submitted by Patrick Phillips a Racer from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2004

Strengths:    Light, Responsive, Durable(kind of)

Weaknesses:    Color Options

Bottom Line:
Why buy the Ellsworth Truth, (although Supergo has the original Turner four bar on sale for $900) this is the same bike and it is alot cheaper....Maybe not as well made, but KHS takes care of you. And remember this is a XC bike, not freeride. I love this four bar design. I've ridden the Spyder....blah blah blah, four bar relieves pedal bob as well as any of them. The build kit on this bike is as good as any other bike out there and alot less expensive. I cracked the seat tube after about 6 mo's and KHS had a new frame out to me in less than 10 days. Only bummer, I had to pay for the rebuild($100)

Favorite Trail:   One that goes up

Purchased At:   Team Discount

Similar Products Used:   New to FS bike...Comverted from HT

Bike Setup:   XT, DT/Hugi Wheelset

Submitted by tim tidball from medford oregon

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2004

Strengths:    Great welds and craftsmanship, beautiful paint, excellant geometry, great SID rear shock. very happy with KHS customer service as well.

Bottom Line:
Purchased as "frame only" and had bike custom built. I custom spec'd this bike from top to bottom, hand picking all components. I absolutely love it. After 5+ years of hardtail-ing, I was surprised how comfortable it felt the first time I hopped on it, very little learning curve!!

Favorite Trail:   wagner creek

Purchased At:   wheel world

Bike Setup:   Fox vanilla 80-125,thompson post & stem, king hubs on mavic 317 disc wheelset, geax sedona 2.3 tires, king headset, avid mechanical brakes and levers, wtb vaser V saddle, LP carbon-fiber handlebar, you get the picture!

Submitted by Ronny Sterckx a Racer from Prevôst, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2003

Strengths:    rear suspension desing made by Giant
Incredible handling and killing traction.

Weaknesses:    The Fox rear shock Float AVA lock-out handlebar mount is
not that convinient

Bottom Line:
The XC 904r is one of the best bike I ever had and I'm
planning to get the new 2004 for next year even that they
didn't change it a lot exept the colors.This bike is really
made for racers and for those having an agressive riding
the rear suspension is working like a charm and there is no
cracking or creaking on the bushings or pivots after a muddy ride.

Favorite Trail:   MOC

Purchased At:   RST Vélosports enr.

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 1

Bike Setup:   Hayes disc, spinnergy cyclone disc wheels and rock shox
world cup fork.

Submitted by Paul Romeo II a Cross Country Rider from Truckee, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2003

Strengths:    The components are top of the line. The SID world cup and rear float never cease to amaze me. Extremely light frame.

Weaknesses:    Seat needs to be exchanged for something other than a rock. The pivots in the linkage needed locktite.

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing. The combination of a light frame (24 lbs.) and XTR components make this bike a must have, especially considering it is a full suspension bike. The shocks provide comfort and yet maintain stability and control; lockouts are provided for both the front and rear shocks. I have ridden this bike throughout the Bay Area/Tahoe regions and it rides beautifully in soft and hard conditions.

If you are a racer, cross-country fanatic, or simply want an exceptional bike, this is the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the Ground