KHS XC504R 2003 Full Suspension

3.89/5 (18 Reviews)

Submitted by dan nichol a Weekend Warrior from butler pa

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2009

Strengths:    Like the single pivot easy to mantain

Weaknesses:    Broke the first frame after approximatly 7 months of usage. Broke the second frame after approximatly 2 months of usage. The frames broke in the exact locations. The location is on the down tube pivot shaft mounting welds on the chain ring side.

Bottom Line:
Junk inferior welds!

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Submitted by CorMan from Wildwood, IL

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2008

Strengths:    good suspension design, great price

Weaknesses:    UUUUMMMM. After two years I snapped the frame, but KHS sent me out an upgrade.

Bottom Line:
Im pretty hard on my stuff, but the frame welds should have held. The company stepped up and upgraded my frame so overall i have to say KHS rocks! By the way, i weigh 245 and ride like a friggin beast! If your one of those light weight pint sized pros, you'll never have a problem

Submitted by Michael from Mesa, AZ

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006

Strengths:    Good feel, comfortable. Shock performs well.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This frame is really comfortable, and I didn't experience any pedal bob. The shock withstood my rather large body without any problems. The welds are good and strong, as well.

Purchased At:   used w/ all components included

Similar Products Used:   '99 Specialized FSR(glorified pogo stick)

Bike Setup:   Manitou Black Platinum IT fork, XT and LX components, Hayes mech disc brakes

Submitted by jesse a Weekend Warrior from Erie,PA USA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
It does have a little twist when you get on it hard in the uphill climbs and a little when you pound it out down hill.
I still haven't riden it very much this season but I'm planning on some winter riding so we'll see Iguess.

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Bike Setup:   since the las post i placed, I broke some parts and ended up putting a LX rear and front derailer on my KHS XC504.

Submitted by Jesse a Weekend Warrior from Erie, PA USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2005

Strengths:    So far, Cool Looks, affordability

Weaknesses:    apparently from others saying bad welds? but for me, i'm in germany and mine is in the states, damned army!

Bottom Line:
I still haven't built it yet as i am still in the army for a lil bit longer against my own will, ( damned stop loss ), but when i get home and get it up and running i will updaye this a bit and have more info on it and my crazy freeride setup on it, i just hope i don't break it!

just for the curious, i have spent somewhere in th area of 1500 - 1700 dollars on this thing and will probably add more later?

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Stevens 552 comp ( a german company ) trek bikes of various types and models

Bike Setup:   the original bas rear shock for now, a FSA headset ( orbit II ) , manitou black elite fork 120mm, azonic shorty delux stem the longer one ,azonic ultra cross bars, azonic hotseat, azonic seat post, hayes hmx1 disc ( to save some weight ) , shimano xtr dual control levers, shimano 646 clipless pedals, a sram 9 spd chain, sram X0 front derailer,a sram plasma dirt derailer ( running low on funds ) , sun power tools sun freeride wheelset from wheel world with pnaracer megablaster tires deore gears etc etc, a FSA mega EXO crankset, and a disc adapted for the rear disc to mount to the frame.

Submitted by Cody Salo a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, MT

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap...super cheap if you got one later than I did. Good, basic design with low maintenance. I'm partial to single pivot FS frames because of their simplicity, but there are pros and cons. I have really enjoyed the frame thus far.

Weaknesses:    There is a slight amount of lateral play in the swingarm/pivot location because of the design, but not enough for me to care about it. The frame is slightly heavy, but I built mine up with reasonable parts and got down around 25.5 lbs or so. Also, the cable routing leaves a bit to be desired.

Bottom Line:
Super value, good XC performer. Don't expect to freeride with this frame, but do expect a comfy affordable XC machine. I gave it a 4 chilis overall due to the weight and cable routing.

Favorite Trail:   Bangtail Ridge, Truman Gulch

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   This is my first FS frame, but I've ridden Jekylls, GT I-Drives, and various others.

Bike Setup:   Noleen Mega Air fork (3.1 lbs and 4 inches), Cane Creek AD shock (aftermarket), XT drivetrain, Avid mechanicals, Sette controls, Shimano hubs w/ Mavic 223's, other basic stuff. Switching to the Cane Creek shock makes a big difference. The suspension has an inherent rising rate and the RS Bar shock doesn't help the problem. A large volume air shock such as a Cane Creek has a much more linear spring rate. I suggest picking one up on Ebay for cheap...it transforms the suspension.

Submitted by scott gregory a Cross Country Rider from freidberg, germany

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2004

Strengths:    the weight is the first thing i noticed, the way it's set up it weighs 29.9 lbs. that's pretty good for a dual susser. secondly is the travel, i'm getting major air on log hops and my 218lb. butt hasn't bottomed it out yet

Weaknesses:    had to send the rok shok bar back to shock therapy before even riding it. but they sent me back a brand new 04. works for me. notice a very little frame sway at the pivot point on hard climbs but nothing big.

Bottom Line:
after having 2 hardtails i decided it was time to change over to the smoother side. this being my first dual susser and assembling it all myself, i'm extremely impressd. i purchased it from jeson usa as an oe frame for $300. how could you go wrong with that. the bike just flowes along the trails and is even way smooth on downhills. i weigh about 218 lbs. and took this baby off some desent drops and still havn't bottomed out either shock. havn't noticed any real "bob either" just play with the rebound on the bar and it's all good. definatley an awesome bike for the price!!! 5 flamin chili's!

Favorite Trail:   all in n.c.

Purchased At:   jenson usa (frame only)

Bike Setup:   xt cranks, rear derailer and chain, sunrim disc rims, avid mech. disc brakes, lx shifters and front derailer, 03 manitou black sport fork, bontreger race stem, time clipless pedals, panaracer tires.

Submitted by jon a Cross Country Rider from reston, va

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2004

Strengths:    Price! Disc brakes, shocks, decent weight for price range.

Weaknesses:    weight, mostly. ~31 pounds.

Bottom Line:
absolutely excellent for the price. i managed to pick the last one up from jensonusa.com and man am i pleased. the hayes mechs exceed my expectations based upon the reviews on mtbr. overall an excellent f/s setup for the price point. unbeatable value. pick one of these up if you want an intro level cross country f/s bike for under 800 bucks.

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   gf sugar, my old rigid gf marlin

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by david from grand junction co usa

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2004

Strengths:    the strengths of this bike are in its cost and design.

Weaknesses:    however....
the frame broke

Bottom Line:
i bought a cheap frame and it broke. if you are above 150lbs i would stay off this bike unless your only going to ride it on dirt roads. the riding i do is technical but i dont hit big drops thankfully or i might have gotten hurt on this bike. i am in the process of finding out about the khs warranty. hope they at least treat me right with this. will this keep updated.

Favorite Trail:   not telling

Purchased At:   jenson.com

Bike Setup:   bicycle you pedal down hills

Submitted by Will from the valley

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    Nice geometry, rides pretty well, good f/r balance. Light and fun for the price!

Weaknesses:    Cracked it at the pivot.

Bottom Line:
My experience with this frame is why I don't submit a review immediately upon receiving a product. Most products are great for a few months. This thing cracked right at the spot that I figured it would when I first got it. I rode it about 70 miles a week, mostly off road and I weigh about 180, if you fit that description, find another bargain frame.

Submitted by Brad a Cross Country Rider from Columbus, oh USA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2004

Strengths:    Great Price, Solid welds, 7000 series alluminum.

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet!

Bottom Line:
So far this bike is a total bargain! I bought the frame from Jenson ($289) b/c my Specialized Rockhopper had a defective frame, so I had my rockhopper warranted for a new frame and purchased the KHS frame. Now I have a Hardtail frame and a complete fully. The KHS handles great and has been really plush on a couple of urban drops around OSU campus. I would recommend this bike to everyone, the price is right and the bike is all around solid buy.

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   First soft-tail

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain, IRC teflon cassette, rynolyte rims on lx hubs, monkey lite bars with avid shifters and brakes.

Submitted by Dave Carr a Cross Country Rider from Bend, OR, Deschutes

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2004

Strengths:    Rigidity of rear suspension.

Weaknesses:    Weight.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the bike on August 1, 2003 and broke my frame on March 23, 2004 just above the bottom bracket weld. Memory serves that it started cracking days before, I just hadnt noticed until I almost tore the bike in half. Im 6 foot 1 and 217 pounds...and although most of all my strength is in my massive legs, Im surprised it didnt hold up any longer. I ride everyday...to work, for recreation, and I dislike driving places (Id rather be "free"). Im not too pleased, until my new frame arrive, Im still without a bike. The thing that bites is that the Pilot SL front fork on it blew a gasket on the day-of purchase...I was loaned a fork fromt he bike shop but ROCK SHOX took 5 months to process my warrenty. Not at all pleased.

Favorite Trail:   Berma Grade USA

Purchased At:   Century Cycles

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2004

Strengths:    Rear suspension works well and doesn't bob, cheap!

Weaknesses:    strength of welds, flex, weight (if we want to get picky!)

Bottom Line:
I built this bike up from a frame I picked up S/H, and it worked well for a while. I noticed some cracks in the welds near the pivot and in the rear swingarm, which weren't there when I bought it. I'm pretty heavy (200lb) and do XC racing, but nothing more extreme then that, it shouldn't have cracked! Bit the bullit and ended up getting the frame fixed and reinforced, and has worked well since. Owners should make sure the shock bolts are very tight, if not the frame flexes side to side considerably when pedaling hard. It still flexes a bit, something inherent in single pivot designs, but it's OK. I'm using the 5" travel psylo front fork (lockout essential on this fork!), which makes it heaps more comfortable to do some hairier downhills on. I found for me, 4" or less travel makes it a little unstable on the steeper descents. If you are buying one of these frames, make sure you get the shock with the pos and neg air chambers, it allows you to nearly get rid of all bob with correct air pressures. The rear derailleur cable routing sucks, had trouble with ghost shifting when hitting bumps. Fixed this by routing the cable along the downtube and past the pivot point where it doesn't move much. I have the bike setup just how I want it now, the only reason I can see for an upgrade is to get a lighter frame, something like the Giant NRS or Specialized Epic is about a pound lighter. Would give 5 chillis, but lose one for weak welds.

Purchased At:   Second Hand

Similar Products Used:   Various hardtails

Bike Setup:   Psylo race forks, XTR cranks, XT almost everything else

Submitted by Jose Sancho from Sacramento, California

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2004

Strengths:    Great Value, bang for buck.

Weaknesses:    Nothing I didn't like.

Bottom Line:
I bought this from Jenson and upgraded w/ Hydros and 36 spoke wheels. I'm 6'1 and 220 lbs, and this bike was great. I rode the Liquid and felt this bike was comparable in performance at 1/2 the price. You can't match the performance given for the price paid. Excellent climber and awesome on descents.