KHS Dominatrax 2003 Full Suspension

3.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Douglas Wiseman a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2007

Strengths:    Super long travel and very strong bike. I have ridden over many sharp objects and never got a flat with the 3" tires. I have done 5 foot drops on flat concrete and the bike performed very well. I am sure to turn heads every time I ride even if its just to the corner store. The chain wont fall off even if you are hauling through very bumpy ground. The Marzocchi Monster T fork is tough as nails.

Weaknesses:    The first obvious weakness is the weight. My Dominatrax weighs a total of one third of my wieght. This makes a great training bike for those who like pedal bobbing up a hill in first gear. The aluminum shims for spacing the bolt that holds the rear of the shock to the swingarm can wear down over time. Dirt, rocks, etc. get caught in between the hole wear the bolt and shims are in the swingarm. Thus, the shims are slowly rubbed so there is eventually some play in the swingarm where the bolt shims and the swingarm meets. You can test this through slightly lifting the bike seat and looking for play before the back tire is lifted off the ground. I found this can also cause a squeeky rear suspension unless some lube is used where the shims and swingarm meet. This can also be a hazard seeing as the swingarm loses structural strength if there is a good amount of play within the swingarm and the shims. I destroyed my 2001 Dominatrax swingarm by falling short on bunny hopping a curb. :-( The bolt that held the shock to the swingarm snapped in two. However, there were no cracks in the swingarm or frame after I busted my 2001 rig. The default crankset on the 2003 frame tends to also be a bit of noisy as well. I learned to use rubber bands within the inside of the plastic rollers to help prevent chain clicking as if it was switching gears. I also discovered after purchasing my 2003 Dominatrax frame was the budget needed for upgrading. Downhill components like purchasing the Marzocchi Monster T fork overall cost me more money than my former Ford Taurus.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that you should have a deep pocket if you are really interested in having a properly working 2003 KHS Dominatrax. The money I spent on labor in the bike store was just in regards to the replacing the bottom bracket and bleeding the brakes. I think this bike would be perfect for anyone who is close to ski chairlifts that run in the summer for bicyclists. I have never had so much fun going downhill on any other bike. I would hit jumps I would not even consider with a hardtail or some whimpy softtail. You also don't find too many downhill rigs that can fit a 3 inch tire. The huge tires and the double wide rims really helps in making the bike look sick. Overall, I really enjoy owning my current 2003 Dominatrax regardless of the weight and budget needed for repairs and upgrades. I would recommend this rig for anyone who downhills all day looking for a smooth ride that can be carried on a chairlift, pushed, or slowly peddled uphill.

Favorite Trail:   Bonzai Run

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   2001 KHS Dominatrax

Bike Setup:   2003 KHS Domintrax Frame, Marzocchi Monster T fork, Hayes front hydraulic brakes, Gustav Magara hydraulic rear brakes, 3 inch Gazzolodi tires, Sun double-wide rims, and a Wilderness Trail Bikes seat.

Submitted by colton lee from idaho, idaho falls, us

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Strengths:    beefy rear swing arm, frame looks cool, swing arm travel through movement smoothly

Weaknesses:    none that i have found so far but i built the bike from the ground up

Bottom Line:
i love the bike and would definatly by the bike again if i had the chance

Favorite Trail:   hidden valley, brundage idaho

Purchased At:   n/a

Similar Products Used:   scott high octane, kona stinky

Bike Setup:   manitou sherman slider forks, THE rims, truvativ hussefelt cranks sram x-5 shifter,hayes HFX 9 brakes

Submitted by Rhys Mofo a Downhiller from Vic

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2006

Strengths:    plenty of travel, tough as nails, looks sweet

Weaknesses:    watch out for a bad batch with twisted frames, weight

Bottom Line:
The craziest bike set-up eva cant get a beta feeling, smooth, solid, u cant go wrong with this beast. Uv gota luv the forks they may be ancient but with a rebuild they r sweet just dont ding a stanchion they cost heaps to replace. Everyone shuld own one if they want a dh bike n they hav som muscles to lift it around. This bike is an absolute head turner

Favorite Trail:   Mt Bride

Purchased At:   Private

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky, Specialized Demo 8, Kona Stab Deluxe

Bike Setup:   Khs Dominatrix dh100, Marzocchi monster t's, race face cranx, Chris King headset. FSA stem, hayes 9's, Mavic rims, DT swiss hubs, completely customized nothin stock

Submitted by pat topo shisho a Downhiller from harwich mass

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2005

Strengths:    this is def a burly bike for the first three months or so, its got alot to offer when ure droppin 15 footers but after three months of that,,,,it just craps out

Weaknesses:    extrememly heavy, even though its a downhiller, u can find a reasonably light bike for downhilling, this is just a little to heavy, the shock sux too, that crapped out along with the swingarm

Bottom Line:
this bike is an ok downhiller but if ure looking to race or drop 15 footers and up, then look for somethin else. the bike was nice for throwin around for the first three months then after that, the rebound and compression shi**ed out on me and the swingarm craked, dont buy this bike unless your looking to do moderate freeride and whatnot

Favorite Trail:   some place in nevada

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   bighit...

Bike Setup:   o3 monster t, mag 30's,gazzi's, hozzelfellers, mrp, romic d,

Submitted by declan souter from AUSTRALIA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2005

Strengths:    pretty much everything strong frame

Weaknesses:    heavey but its a dh bike

Bottom Line:
awesome bike for dh nice set up

Purchased At:   private

Bike Setup:   pretty much standard

Submitted by DHLover a Downhiller from Nelson B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2003

Strengths:    It rolls over trees like twigs Eats the big airs and regardless of its 48 pounds it still floats like a butterfly through the air. It's only going uphills that you would notice the weight but who rides a DH rig up the hill?? Only a dumbass. The other upsides are so vast that you would have to own the bike to find them all out. The pedal-bob is very nasty at first but eventiually eases as you learn the bike. As well it takes corners fast since the tires chew up the dirt providing excellent traction even in wet conditions.

Weaknesses:    There still feels to be a bit of flex in the rear but it could just be my replacement swingarm. I busted shortly after buying it (obviously something happened that my friend never told me about). Since I replaced that it's held up great. Oh yeh the paint chips easily but doesn't all paint chip when ya roll the rocks without your wheels?? Oh right I almost forgot the bobbing- deal with it.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this bike is for anyone who loves to fly. Like I said before it airs with ease corners are taken like a breeze This bike is so fast theres no way you'll end up last! I have never been happier... Well I've almost never been happier with my purchase.Oh by the way I payed in Canadian $$$. Funny Money look at the colours!

Favorite Trail:   The fast one!!!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   I hooked it up from a friend who complained about the weight

Similar Products Used:   Brodie 8Ball (I'm still missing it)the frame was too big for me.

Bike Setup:   Hayes 8" DH pro's up front and shimano Deore XT 6" disc in the back, Stratos Super8 front shock and a Romic in the rear, RaceFace NorthShore XS crank, Arrow Racing Prime Wide tires front and back accented by SunRims 24" Doublewide rear and a Mavic 26" Disc rim for the front (both holding up great) a Chris King sealed bearing Headset and Club Roost Riser bars.

Submitted by Josh Bender a Downhiller from Utah

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Strengths:    Everything, the 2002 and 2003 models have beefed up gusseting after problems associated with the 2001 models.

Weaknesses:    None now, I have launched huge drops and gaps with no problems whatsoever.

Bottom Line:
The moron who wrote the other post in this review is an absolute fu*khead.
This is a review for the 2003 Dominatrax, he stated that he broke the shock mount and had to switch to the 6" setting?.There is no 6" setting motherfu*ker, racked the frame in 3 places?, I suppose it was all 3 at the same time, I don't think so loser.It's sad that fu*kwits like you have to pretend to actually own a rig like the Dominatrax, just keep riding your Huffy. If you stop buying crack and save your social security payments for the next 20 years, you may actually be able to afford a rig like the KHS.

Favorite Trail:   The next one

Purchased At:   Bike Zion

Similar Products Used:   None compare.

Bike Setup:   2002 KHS Dominatrax full spec - S8's, Raceface, MRP, Hope etc..

Submitted by Hi-may Butter a Downhiller from Tahoe baby

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2003

Strengths:    This bike is a good bike if u are a crooscountry rider. If u want a 9 inch travel bike for cross country then hey, suit yourself. But if u are going to use it for anything else besides that then be ready for some dissapointment. I dont even go very big on the damn thing and the frickin frame cracks in two places; what kind of bull $h!t is that. It actually cracked in 3 places cause the god damn shock mount broke off so now i have to use the 6 1/2 in. setting.

Weaknesses:    Although I bought this bike used it still shouldnt have cracked like the piece of that it is. I didnt even get my use out of it and it f*c%ing breaks.

Bottom Line:
If u buy this bike, well i am sorry. This is the mosdisapointing bike i have ever ridden. I could poo out better then this.

Favorite Trail:   Jacki Chan

Purchased At:   somewhere in vegas

Similar Products Used:   There is no product as bad as this one.

Bike Setup:   Dh3 fork. Stock rear shock. Piece of $h!t frame.