K2 Razorback Team 2003 Full Suspension

4.55/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Sussex, Wi. usa.

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2004

Strengths:    The price (frame only), the shock once K2 switch to fox

Weaknesses:    I'm not sure about this "IS" headset thing ., no problems yet. I bought the best i could afford Cane creeks Solos "IS" . So someone let me know what you think...

Bottom Line:
This bike was setup as a beefy fast xc trail master, and it is awesome. Fast as heck and just as nimble, up hill I sometimes lock out the frontend but climbs really well otherwise( my setup has everything to do with its climbing capability) ,the rearend actually pushes me forward while going uphill, it loves going uphill over rocks and roots. The only problems i have had come from the fact that the frame is actually better the the components I put on the bike. I ride this bike faster and harder than what I've riden in the past and it just keeps givin. I trust it fully and never second guess the rear suspension. It took me 20 min. to really figure out how to ride this bike and it's been bliss ever since. Wisconsin is blessed with awesome trails and with people who really love mountain biking .....Forward !

Favorite Trail:   The white rabbit is awsome

Purchased At:   pieced out online

Similar Products Used:   any full suspension xc frame out there.. 3.plus in the rear...

Bike Setup:   Fox Vanilla 125rlc, Mavic Crossmax enduro disc. raceface this raceface that.. xt/sram, avid mechanicals, titec Bezerker ti leather saddle( the best saddle ever)and thomson stem and set post.

Submitted by Toby a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville/Ocala

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2003

Strengths:    fox shock is great, lock-out feature works like a dream, accelerates quickly out of turns and is buttery smooth on the downhill, climbs ever bit as well as my klein hardtail, not a fisher or trek. Price!

Weaknesses:    cane creak integrated headset,I have had no problems with it but it is the only option. other riders who are a little harder on their rigs might want something proven such as chris king. I have standard 175mm xtr '02 cranks and I hit the pedals on humps and things a lot more than i used to (lack of BB clearence). like it was said before, manufacturing had some problems. I ordered mine in feb '03 and it didn't arrive until may '03. No choice in color scheme really sucks, that reason alone I almost bought from santa cruz. the blue color is really cool, i wish i could have had the whole frame this color. I am not a fan of cable routing on top of the top tube, at times it can scratch away at the clear coat. the only problem comes when you may want to sell it. stickers are pretty cheasy as well.

Bottom Line:
great xc bike especially for the price,fast and nimble. climbs suprisingly well. one of the reasons i chose this bike was the lockout in the back which i used initially until i realized once i had the rear end dialed in just right i didn't need it. with the rearend free you get much much better traction in loose technical climbs. heavier rough riders riders beware, this is not a do it all trail bike. this is strictly an xc rig. 4/5 primarily because of the lack of options cosmetically

Favorite Trail:   Tsali (bryson city, NC)

Purchased At:   frame only deal from Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   sugar, superlight

Bike Setup:   avid disc, xtr crank, xtr shifters, xtr der., xt levers, sun rims/deore hubs, monkeylite carbon riser, thomson post, selle flite italia saddle,

Submitted by Pete Gurney a Racer from Harbor Springs, MI USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2003

Strengths:    light bike for the price. mine weighs 27 lbs. and i have heavy (but durable) salsa/xt wheels.

Weaknesses:    my nolleen shock broke twice, and both times dealing with the company/shop was a complete nightmare. three weeks with no mountain bike twice within the first year was unacceptable to me. now that it is fitted with the new fox float i'm much more confident in the product. i just hope it doesn't break down again. i cannot emphasize enough how bad their customer service is.

Bottom Line:
great bike at a great price. it's just too bad the company sucks.

Favorite Trail:   the loop

Purchased At:   High Gear Sports

Similar Products Used:   sugar 2, nrs 1

Bike Setup:   xt/xtr, avid ti, skareb, salsa 34 spoke/xt

Submitted by Marc Goldstone a Cross Country Rider from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2003

Strengths:    Very light set-up, responsive and predictable. Excellent climbing. With rear unlocked it has great traction through loose dirt & technical climbs mostly because of bike suspension although the IRC mythos contribute! I rode a GT Zaskar for 6 years (hard tail) and this was a perfect transition! First few rides I was locking out the rear on the climbs I realized that I get better traction unlocked. Little to no "Bob". Nice bike colors. The new rear Fox pull shock is great!

Weaknesses:    It took a while to order the frame from K2. They had some kind of production issue and they manufactured all SL frames. The Team frames were not available until May 2003. Anyway, it's too bad k2 Corp. has internal problems because they could easily compete with Specialized, Trek, Santa Cruz, and Gary fisher. If they marketed this bike just a little more people would become familiar with it! After aprox. 20 rides, no problems! I did tie wrap a piece of rubber onto the rear derailure because on decents it would bang into the frame. Many full suspension bikes have the same issue.

Bottom Line:
I shopped for deals and built this up for under $2500. Most FS frames go for $1100-2000. I could build an intense spider with the same parts for $3800-4000.
If you want a light, cross country climber you can't go wrong. My spec'd razorback weighs approx. 23 lbs. I'm pleased with this ride! I give it 5 skinny flamming red peppers!

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail

Purchased At:   Frame only -Performance Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 2, Trek Fuel 90, Specialized FSR, GT Zaskar.

Bike Setup:   I spec'd this bike to be light. Manitou Skareb super, Cane Creek Wam Team rims w/ ti spokes, IRC Mythos (127tpi) 210 Fr, & Rear, Airborne ti Skewers, Easton EA 50 stem, EA 70 flat bar, EC 70 seatpost, Avid sigle digit ti brakes, XT brake lever/shifter combo, 03 XTR crank & front Der. 02 med. cage XTR rear Der. Wellgo ti. M-18 peddals. Performance "Forte" 210 gm. ti rail saddle.

Submitted by Daryl a Cross Country Rider from Alpharetta, Ga

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2003

Strengths:    Alright, so after 2 months of riding, here is the second review to follow up on my preliminary... Strengths: The seatstays are carbon fiber, thus, is lighter than the conventional Razorback frame. I think K2 did a great job spec'ing the Razorback with the Fox Float RL. It locked out well (even though I really never had to use it), was very plush, easy to adjust. The Fox manual says to inflate the shock equal to the rider's body weight... I on the other hand, have it at 180 psi for my 135 lb frame.

Weaknesses:    Still, a little heavy at 5 lb 6 oz. I would rather it be sub-5. And still, the motor.

Bottom Line:
Great bike overall. The only down part is climbing on tight singletrack with switchbacks. A little harder to navigate. If there're no swithbacks, then the bike can really climb wonderfully. Makes me feel like Superman. Descends like a dream however. Very fast bike. Definitely worth every penny. Great at straight aways to really sprint.
Also, watch out for the XT V-brakes if you're thinking about spec'ing them... Shimano over-forged the arms thus the brake is not able to vibrate like it should. What's this mean? LOUD SCREECHES.
Once again, I've been riding it for 2 months. This is a follow-up to my first review in which I had the bike for only 2 weeks.

Purchased At:   Employee

Similar Products Used:   Scroll down to see my earlier review... Nothing's changed

Bike Setup:   Scroll down to see my earlier review... Nothing's changed

Submitted by Ted a Weekend Warrior from Nelson, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, very responsive, fantastic to climb on (the full lockout is great, esp with the rear never fully locked & the climb-it control on the front). Very fast bike to racing on.

Weaknesses:    Did go over the handlebars a few times (riding position a lot lower & further forward than my Giant) - anyway not a weakness with the bike & hopefully now fixed with riser bars. They could have had a Disc option (in NZ) would have saved me a few $$). Anyway no real problems so far.

Bottom Line:
Less stable than my old bike for downhill - prob combination of geometry & the SID's, but makes up for it climbing & XC (these helped by the front/rear lockout and tubeless wheels that I hadn't ridden B4). Still short version = I love it...

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX-990, 2001 Razorback.

Bike Setup:   Took off the factory wheels, brakes etc & put on Mavic CrossRoc, Hope Mini's, & Easton Carbon Monkey Risers

Submitted by Ted a Weekend Warrior from Nelson, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Bottom Line:

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX-990, 2001 Razorback.

Submitted by Liam a Cross Country Rider from Deerfield, MA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    Tight handling and Suspension, accelerates quickly, climbs fast and straight over rugged xc terrain, looks sharp and has traditional bike geometry which is great when you got to carry that bad boy up a cliff!

Weaknesses:    At full MSRP, it's no bargain (no disc brakes, at $2550!?!). The WTB DNA compound 1.95's are not great in the slick stuff. I haven't ridden it long enough to comment on durability.

Bottom Line:
There comes a point in your riding career when you have to assess who you truly are as a rider. I'm thirty four, heavier than I used to be, but in fairly solid cardio-vascular, anaerobic shape. I love aggressive cross country riding, particularly that endemic to the rugged hilliness of Western Massachusetts. From the Berkshire Wilderness to the Connecticut river Valley's high tech trails, I love western mass's twisty singletrack, aggressive, rocky, root-ridden ascents and descents, the persistent slick logs, rocky drops and the occasional stream/ river crossing. I'm all-about modern cross country. No psycho drops over four feet, no chair lifts. For me, and my style of riding in my prefered region the K2 Razorback Team is perfect.

It has a tight, solid reasonably plush and smooth three inches of travel in the back (via Fox Float RL) and a complimentary three in the front (Via a fox Float 80...I'm swapping out the SID--Performs fine, but at 210 pounds I need something a little beefier for the long miles).

The Razorback climbs beautifully even up or rather soggy singletrack here in the east. Tracks easily down the steeps. The handling is quick, but precise, it's taken me a few rides to unlearn my bad habits of oversteering, but I love how sharp the machine feels as glide down the trails.

On the whole, it's hard to find a better "over-the -counter" brand xc bike for aggressive, fast, technical xc riding. (I prefered the razorback over the Fuel and the Scapel Team-which I rode for a few weeks). Look for deals as at 2550 it's a little pricey. Up and down the technical xc of the East, it's hard to beat this upper-deck duelie from K2...I here they make nice skis, too!

Favorite Trail:   Yokun Ridge, hawley, Batchelor St.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Bicycles Unlimited, Greenfield, MA

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Super V 1000 (for five years its been my one and only two-wheeled lover...good bye big red.)

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Daryl a Cross Country Rider from Alpharetta, Ga

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Strengths:    Great materials and workmanship. Before purchasing the bike (frame) I was skeptical about the carbon seatstay because, well, it's carbon. I fall and when I do, I go down hard so I was worrisome over the integrity of the carbon and whether a rock could rip a nice hole in it. K2, however, built a solid frame and the carbon seatstay has a great finish and is manufactured beautifully... very robust... Great shock in the rear too with the FOX Float RL- very smooth. I usually don't even need to lock-out the shock when I climb either because there is very minor "bob."

Weaknesses:    Heavy frame (shock included)... weighing in at a robust 5 lbs 6 oz. And uh, rider...

Bottom Line:
Very nice-> climbs like a dream, flies down trails expertly, just great. Total bike set-up is leaning on the heavy side debuting at 27 lbs. Mostly due to the heavy fork but the Marathon's are just incredible and I wouldn't have it any other way (SID's are TOO much maintenance for what they're worth). The only other trouble I have is my selection of tires, the Scorpion's are alright but I think the IRC Mythos XC tires grip better especially on "moist" ground.
If you're looking for a frame that will handle everything and anything cross country, then this is it! Great value and it really performs. But I can't relay to you how awesome this bike is simply by typing. Go out and just demo one and you'll see! Go out and RIDE!!!!!

Purchased At:   Through Vendor (employee)

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 98, Specialized Epic Pro, Novara Komrade, Novara Ponderosa FSL, just to name a few...

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Marzocchi Marathon S up top (very smooth and lil' maintenance but heavy), Thompson Elite Seatpost and Stem, Yeti ARC carbon flat HB, Selle Italia Flite Saddle, Egg Beaters S, Mavic X517, all running on the Hutchinson Scorpion Lites... The works!

Submitted by Alan Schmautz a Cross Country Rider from Kalispell

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2003

Strengths:    Pros: This bike rides almost identically to the GF Supercaliber, except smoother in rough ground. The long wheel base gives it a rock solid feel, even at high speed [my max. has been 34 mph on trail and 40 mph on road]. The pivots have held up well, and at this point I cannot see or feel any wear or sloppiness. The lockout works just as advertised. I am surprised at the times that I choose open up the rear suspension. Fast downhills runs are a given. But I have found the rear suspension to be valuable on washboard, rough trail even at a slow pace, and steep uneven climbs. The later seems to help keep the rear end firmly on the ground for better traction. I ride over a good deal of rocks and roots on steep downhills where the old hard tail would bounce and threaten to throw me off the front, the FS keeps the tail quiet.

Weaknesses:    Cons: The largest difference noted between my hard tail Supercaliber and the Razorback was the inablility to kick the tail around. Steep fast corners were more difficult to negotiate being that is was difficult to pivot the bike. Secondly, the rear brake cable housing interferes occasionally with your left calf. It is disconcernting, although you get used to it. I have had a few instances of chain suck into the crank. At Moab we had to loosen the chain rings to get the chain released. This almost always happens on rough downhill while leaving the bike in a low gear, which may be due more to a lack of tension from the deurailleur than a problem with the frame.

Bottom Line:
Overall: After 1500 of mostly trail miles, this is a really nice ride. It is as good on approach and commutes as on the trail. Very little maintanence so far. Good balance and stability. A better bike than I am rider. This frame does not eliminate the rough, but mutes it. It is a great choice for the cross country rider who rides all kinds of terrain and is tired of being banged around. I would buy another one in an instant. Compared to a Sugar 1 frame at 3x the cost, this is a real deal.

Favorite Trail:   Trail 800 - Reid Divide

Purchased At:   Bike Rite Bikes and Boards

Similar Products Used:   Specialized M5, GT I drive 3, Gary Fisher Sugar 3, Gary Fisher Supercaliber

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z4 Air Shock; LX hollow arm crank, front deurailleur and brakes; XT - hubs; XTR - rear deurailleur, cassette and shifters; Thompson Elite seat post; Shimano 535 pedals; Specialized Rock 'n R tires (very good for dirt trails but wear fast on the roads).

Submitted by Frank a Cross Country Rider from Cedar Park, Texas

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth ride, great control, excellent rear shock.
Cable routing is good. Love the color scheme.
Carbon seat stay

Weaknesses:    Haven't found it yet

Bottom Line:
Great ride at 28 pounds!

Purchased At:   team deal