K2 Razorback 4.0 2003 Full Suspension

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)
MSRP : $1900.00

Submitted by vasilebujor67 a Racer from Craiova, Dol, Romania

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2009

Strengths:    Racing pedigree - cheap considering specialized epic's -

Weaknesses:    Not for heavy riders - 100 kilos maximum!!!

Bottom Line:
The bike is a grait bike, it costed me woth all the parts around 3000 euros, and I obtained a performance that you could match with a bike twice the price, so at the time - end of 2007 - was a bargain. Unfortenly I can't ride it because working to get the money for the parts I become a fat ass 110 kilos - with back pack of 3 kilo - any, I must have less then 100, ideal 90 kilo for this bike , bleah.

I sell it for 2000 euros cross europe!! Anybody ? :(

Purchased At:   made on parts

Similar Products Used:   K2 4000 - modified completly -, scott FX30 - also modified -, a cannondale bike, I can't remeber the name - expensive anyway .

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback 4.0 frame , fox float pull shock RL 2004, fork fox float R 2007 - downgraded to 100mm to work with the bike -, 2006 deore lx dual control disc brakes, derraiuers Deore XT 2006, SRAM PG-990, Doere XT 2007 Hollowtech II, wheels Original and rare DT SWISS EXTREME wheel set, Easton Vice pipe .

Submitted by Dan Davis a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Or

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2004

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
First off i want to thank K2 for the warranty!!! i had an 1994 Proflex 954 that i just cracked the swing arm on. now i was not going to do any thing about it but my freinds, one who has a bike shop told me to ask. and Proflex did have a life time warranty on the frame. so i ask and K2 sent me a 03 razorback 4.0 frame.
now i put top of the line parts on this kid, and it came in at 24lbs! and thats for an XL! now if you got the new 04 with the carbon stays who knows?
now down to the ride. it is all that you have read, it's a rock'n XC rig. it's fast up and down the hills and the fox F80X fork up front and RL shox in back realy do the job. i would not have thought of the Razorback if not for the warranty, but now that i have it i think more people should put it on there short list!!

Favorite Trail:   all of them in bend

Purchased At:   warranty from K2

Bike Setup:   new xt cranks, sram x.0 all over, eston carbon bars and seat post,
ritchy WSC stem, new Amricanclassic wheelset, Fox F80X

Submitted by Oriah a Cross Country Rider from Tacoma, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2003

Strengths:    Fast, fast, fast! Up-gradable, great, natural race feel.

Weaknesses:    Saddle to firm for trail riding, occasional chain suck coming down off the middle gear.

Bottom Line:
Superbly fast bike! (I won my age group, 25-29, in a sprint duathlon the second day after buying this bike, and I give the bike some serious credit) Good all around quality without having to take out a loan or feeling like you should have got a motorcycle for what you paid. Very light, stiff under the hammer, nimble through the technical terrain, climbs great, screams on the descents!
This bike has already taken me on dozens of epics and it only feels like it’s getting warmed up. Suspension more than ample for fast descents and 8+ foot drops. Rear lockout is nice but get the remote if you plan to race it on any hilly course. Tires have performed well in everything except dry, loose conditions. (Good thing I live in the Great North Wet, I mean, West)

Favorite Trail:   Suntop Mt

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   GT Backwoods, Stumpjumper, Jamis Dakar Comp

Submitted by Alex O'Bannon a Racer from Palmdale, CA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2003

Strengths:    Weight, shock response, disc ready hubs, decent components

Weaknesses:    top tube seems rather short when getting into aero position while going all out in the flats. but the bike isnt really made for that.....get back on the up/down singletrack.

Bottom Line:
It's great going from a no-suspension bike to a full suspension, but this bike has been aces beyond that crossover. It holds the trail and is a wonderful climber. Te single digit 7 avid brakes are top notch. The rear shock is easily adjustable, however i find the remote lockout to be effectively useless. Up the pressure to roughly your body weight and you wont notice the slightest bod on the lfats, yet it is still noticeably responsive on the bumps. buy it.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Stock except for shimano 959 pedals and velociraptor tires.

Submitted by Andy Q a Cross Country Rider from Cos Cob, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2003

Strengths:    everything... amazing bike, just got back from my first ride, and it was incredible, the bike is so light and everything works really well together, front and rear suspension are amazing on this bike

Weaknesses:    havnt found any yet - just getting used to the clipless pedals though

Bottom Line:
best bike i have ever owned, and will love to ride it every day, cant wait to race it = if your going to get this bike make sure your really into biking and will put the time and effort in to racing it, it is a speed demon and needs to be raced

Favorite Trail:   mianus river gorge

Purchased At:   Outdoor Traders

Similar Products Used:   2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Rob B. a Cross Country Rider from Ogden, UT

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2003

Strengths:    Great front suspension and rear suspension. Sid Race fork is superb and very plush with lots of adjustments. Rear shock has lockout. Race Face components are all over. LIGHT, LIGHT, LIGHT!

Weaknesses:    I do not like straight handelbars. Make sure to adjust Fox shox to 20-30 psi more than what is on side of frame.

Bottom Line:
Great bike if you can afford to shell out money for it. I'm glad I got a discount.

Buy this if you are looking for a xc bike with excellent parts. Everything on this bike is only a step or two below top of the line except the front derailer.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in MOAB

Purchased At:   K2 Shop Employee Discount

Bike Setup:   look at the k2 website www.k2bike.com

Razorback 4.0 value?

I have an 01 Razorback 4.0, and have someone very interested in buying it from me. When I purchased the bike new, I had spent around $2,800.00. It has Hayes Hydraulic Disk Brakes, Noleen Mega Air Front and rear with remote lockout, Shimano Deore. Titec Post, Avenir Riser Bars, WTB Headset and Seat ... Read More »

Looking for K2 Razorback 4.0 Parts. HELP!

I own a 2002 K2 Razorback and recently had it tuned up by my local shop. Come to find out they lost the Pivot Spacers durring disassembly. I am looking for part # 28-8165-1 (2 of them) or Kit# K025705151. Can anyone help me locate these parts. I cant ride the bike without them! Help! Its prime r ... Read More »

2003 Razorback 4.0 vs. 2002 Trek Fuel 90

Understanding that different bikes were built for different purposes I'd like to propose a question to those in the K2 forum and also in the Trek forum. I'm looking at buying one of two frames on the cheap. Either a 2003 K2 Razorback 4.0 with a Fox Float RL shock or a 2002 Trek 90 with a Fox Float ... Read More »

Razorback 4.0 vs. Fuel 90

Understanding that different bikes were built for different purposes I'd like to propose a question to those in the K2 forum and also in the Trek forum. I'm looking at buying one of two frames on the cheap. Either a 2003 K2 Razorback 4.0 with a Fox Float RL shock or a 2002 Trek Fuel 90 with a Fox ... Read More »

K2 Lithium 4.0 or K2 Razorback Comp

Supergo has some great deals on K2 bikes, but I'm having a hard time deciding which bike to get. Currently I have a Stumpjumer...I love this bike because of it's lightweight and speed, but want to get a full suspension. Any opionions on these bikes?Read More »