K2 Attack 2.0 2003 Full Suspension

3.53/5 (17 Reviews)

Submitted by sasquatchhunter a Weekend Warrior from North east

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2009

Strengths:    surprisingly light for the price and I love the controls and the suspesion

Weaknesses:    The crank seems a little long

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and it is a great step up from my p.o.s. w mart bike and it didnt break the bank. Can you say made in America. I ride really rough trails and this bike does very well. You wont be disappointed with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   woodland single track

Purchased At:   barely used from som

Bike Setup:   rock shox front fork

Submitted by snail45 a Weekend Warrior from Laramie, WY, U.S.

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2009

Strengths:    Looks, Front shock, Disc brakes, Shifter, Frame, Everything seems to be sound and smooth.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock, Skinny rims and tires.

Bottom Line:
Pretty good FS bike for the money. The only thing that has failed on me so far was the front quick release on a major wreck. I smacked it on a rock and bent it. The disc pads hold up far better than rim brake pads when down hilling. Rear shock is a bit bouncy though.

Favorite Trail:   Curt Gowdy

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Wally world Mongoose, Specialized Hard Rock.

Bike Setup:   Stock, other than grips.

Submitted by ryan1584 a Weekend Warrior from Gaithersburg, MD

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2009

Strengths:    Rear suspension works surprisingly well for the price. I like it better than similarly priced hardtails. I switched back and forth between the Attack and a GT Avalanche and decided to keep the attack after replacing the drive-train.

Weaknesses:    When I bought the bike it had been modified. It actually had thumb shifters and a really old rear derailer that was from the 90s. It ghost shifted a lot before I replaced the drive train with a 9-speed cassette and a new Deore rear derailer and trigger shifters.

Bottom Line:
I've put about $600 into this bike and feel like I've got something better than that. I like the frame and now that I've got the new drive-train it runs like a dream. I've had ample opportunity to beat it up and haven't had any critical problems (other than a broken chain, but it was brand new). Until I'm ready to drop $2000 its perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Schaeffer Farms

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   GT I-drive 5.0, Giant Rincon, GT Avalanche

Bike Setup:   see above - also MTB velociraptor tires

Submitted by **** a Cross Country Rider from *************

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Strengths:    great bike. goood front fork. awsome disc breaks.

Weaknesses:    no name rear suspension

Bottom Line:
great bike. anyone can use this bike on intermidite trails or challengins one.

Similar Products Used:   kona dawg(also a great bike

Bike Setup:   new rear suspension. XT

Submitted by aviv levy from tivon, israel

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2007

Strengths:    i like this bike they are fast.
and i have alot of control when i ride them.

Weaknesses:    the rear suspension was licking so the dealer change it for me .

Bottom Line:
its a good bike for everybody and really easy to ride them.

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Similar Products Used:   giant, schwinn

Submitted by un gars decu a Cross Country Rider from une dans le monde

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
j ai casser le fream il a dechirer comme du papier 2.o 2003
jaune et noir

j ai aussi casser les vis de la suspension arriere et du poto de selle

Purchased At:   sport expert

Submitted by Kyl Wood a Weekend Warrior from Oak Harbor

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2005

Strengths:    Bike is very durrable love it to death been through some crazy things with me

Weaknesses:    I have bent both front and back rims, and blown out the rear shock

Bottom Line:
Good Bike, nice durrable but some drawbacks on the suspension and rims not as strong as they could be

Similar Products Used:   K2 Bumpy Monkey

Submitted by MAC a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2004

Strengths:    Full suspension for the price, 100mm front fork, Ritchey Girder rims, WTB VelociRaptor 26 x 2.10" tires, aluminum sturdy frame, & Shimano/Tektro brakes & components.

Weaknesses:    Medium components and Medium weight (32 lbs) (you get what you pay for) -- but the components hold up excellent and the weight is due to components and frame. Also, you should replace the pedals (pedals with straps is suicide).

Bottom Line:
This is a GREAT bike for beginners/weekend warriors. I have driven this bike through some tough trails and it has held up excellent with no problems. The suspension holds tight through the bumps and I have the rear suspension a little tighter to keep me moving uphill. This bike will hold up on the extreme/advance trails and switchback/single track trails. This bike is average weight, but if you are looking for lightweight, please look at $1500+ bikes. This bike's weight is great for the price! The components are average which will hold up on extreme/advance riding; at some point in the future, as with any bike, you will have to replace and upgrade some components. You should replace the pedals with clipless pedals for a better ride. Again the suspension is great and is enjoyable in the Arizona rocky trails.

Favorite Trail:   Pemberton Trail, McDowell Mts

Purchased At:   Tempe Bicycle

Submitted by Vitaly K. a Weekend Warrior from Haifa Israel

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2004

Strengths:    very srtong frame, i was riding in the desert for an year. comfortable frame, i am almost 2 metr height and about 85 kg of weight.

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy.too cheep parts, the ez fire shifters are not so good and should be changed at the point of buying, the crank was broken. the rear shok absorber of Noleen started leaking i got the same from the company, changed the rear travel to 4 inch and now its ok.

Bottom Line:
very good bike for begginers level, i couldnt reach their max performance.

Purchased At:   Israel

Similar Products Used:   centurion mtb 96'

Bike Setup:   race face xc crank
wellgo dh ped.
specialized gel seat

Submitted by Bobby a Weekend Warrior from edwards, Ca

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Strengths:    Ok starter bike for the money if you weigh under 140, and if you ride in the city where it's flat. Or have warranty to cover the chainstay.

Weaknesses:    rear triangle or chainstay snapps like a twig, I weigh 140 #s and was riding in the desert, just small hills if you would even call it that. K2 costomer service is not helpful at all. k2 dealer in lancaster,ca wasn't as much help as the company was.

Bottom Line:
if you have the money, buy a good bike like khs or gt. if you really want to get into mtb don't waste your time with this frame.

Favorite Trail:   allover

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   khs,giant

Bike Setup:   all stock accept for the manitou fork.

Submitted by Kyle Goody a Weekend Warrior from Aptos,CA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2004

Strengths:    every think is great so far.

Weaknesses:    none that i found except the rebound when you buy is a little fast

Bottom Line:
It wasn't that heavy. you guys are just weak.its a great all around bike.im 13 and 120 so dont listen to other people say its to heavy. it just them lay off mc donalds and kfc and i might be lighter. great bike for downhill if you upgrade it.

Purchased At:   Aptos bike trails

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stuff,Big Hit comp,and a gay xc bike

Bike Setup:   K2 stock cept drop off 2 forks and fox vanilla rear.

Submitted by Brent Knutson a Weekend Warrior from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2004

Strengths:    Nice Frame, and the ride is fairly plush for an entry level FSR.

Weaknesses:    Low end component group, eight ring rear cassette.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the price. The component group is pretty low end though. After a couple of rides, I dropped another $500 on an XT drive train and derailers, & LX shifters w/Avid brake levers. The component transplant made a huge difference, and after just a few weeks, I really like this bike. It's not a great climber; It's a bit heavy, and it does bob when hammering off the saddle. But, It descends like a champ. It has really nice balance, and it beats the hell out of getting pounded by my Cadex hardtail. In short, it's not a bad entry level bike.

Favorite Trail:   Charcoal Gulch, Idaho City

Similar Products Used:   Giant Carbon Fiber Cadex

Submitted by Kelsey Wilson a Cross Country Rider from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2003

Strengths:    Nice look and upgradable

Weaknesses:    quality of initial components, Heavy. The suspension bobs when you pedaling if the shock is not tightened up.

Bottom Line:
The feels much better since I upgraded 'nearly' everything. It feels good on single track downhill/trails and for getting around the city. The frame's tough. I'll upgrade the rims to freeride rims. Going down the mountains is far more fun than trekking/riding up. I've really come to love riding in the past three years, the little K2-Attack helped. It's a great bike for beginners. It's upgradable and the components available could make it into a much better bike.

Favorite Trail:   Several mountains around "Taegu, South Korea"

Purchased At:   Sports Expert

Similar Products Used:   Giant Warp, Giant 870 hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Mavic 618 xc, with the original spokes. Frt & Rear Derail/ Deore LX. MJ bar. Marzocchi Bomber/air. LX Caliper/Brakes

Submitted by Jeb Simmons a Weekend Warrior from Charlottte, NC

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2003

Strengths:    Not many, I guess the color is cool.

Weaknesses:    You name it. I am 240 #s and the frame broke on me the 4th time I rode it. Now I am playing tug o war with K2 on who's payin for shipping, etc. This really sucks! I hate the drive train. A lot, I mean a lot of chainsuck! The frame cracked right where the chainstay is. I wasn't dropping or anything. Just went over the bottom of a knole and CRACK! I really hate this bike. Do not buy if you are over 200 lbs. K2 says that this is not within "rated weight". (Fine time to tell me now!)

Bottom Line:
This steed sucks Shaner!!!

Favorite Trail:   Panorama

Purchased At:   Bob's Bikes and Skis

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Kona Stinky (awesome bike, I/m gonna buy another one!)

Bike Setup:   Broken frame!

Submitted by Michael Nagro a Weekend Warrior from Orem, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2003

Strengths:    Good Value. I couldn't find anything else as good in the price range.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, but loads lighter than the 14 year old bike it replaced. The seat was extremely uncomfortable. I already replaced it.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for beginners-intermediate weekend warriors but may not have high enough quality components or be light enough for the intense mountain biker.

I knew that after 14 years on a no-suspension bike that I wanted a full suspension bike. I'd rather pay $525 for the K-2 Attack 2.0 and upgrade my fork, shocks and other components down the road, than buy a hardtail.

If you're a big guy, like me, ask the dealer to get the heavier springs. John at Aardvark put the stiffer springs on mine for me.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the half dozen rides I've been on so far. The bike has exceeded my expectations, but of course I'm used to feeling every pebble under my tires.

Purchased At:   Aardvark

Similar Products Used:   I've never owned a full suspension bike before.

Bike Setup:   Standard factory issue. Replaced the seat.

Is anyone else out there riding a K2 Attack 2.0???

I am currently running mostly stock except for the Rock Shox xc32's. I am riding it hard, here in South Mountain Az (or atleast I think I am riding hard) I ride one particular trail and I love it, I love how technical it is and the challenges that I am slowly conquering. But as I push my own li ... Read More »

K2 attack 2.0 ('06-'08)

Does anyone here know where i can get a K2 Attack 2.0 Mountain Bike (2006-2008)? i'm having a hard time looking for this specific mtb. Just curious if anyone who owns this type of MTB would want to sell theirs or know where i can get one? please let me know [IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/407 ... Read More »

K2 attack 2.0 ('06-'08)

Just wondering if anyone owns this specific type of Mountain bike 'K2 attack 2.0 '06-'08 and want to sell it or if anyone knows where i can get one? please let me know [ATTACH=CONFIG]793233[/ATTACH]Read More »

k2 attack 2.0 wheels

I have a 2000 k2 attack 2.0 and I keep breaking spokes, I am looking for rims 26X 2.10, can anyone recommend a good site or a good set of rims. Thanks for the help.Read More »

2003 K2 Attack 2.0 - HELP!!

I'm hoping someone on this forum can assist me. I have a 2003 Attack 2.0 that I've completely rebuilt. I put on a 9-speed deore drivetrain, 2010 Marzocchi 44 RLO fork, new Deore v-brakes, XT crank, the list goes on. The only thing original on the bike is the frame. I've attached pics. It is my baby. ... Read More »