Iron Horse Sinister DS 2003 Full Suspension

3.8/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by aaron98433 a Weekend Warrior from pacific northwest

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Strengths:    Very affordable, great starter bike
Durable (heavy) Frame
Came stock with decent components for starters

Weaknesses:    RST Rear suspension falls apart; sucks
SRAM grip shifts it came with are terrible design

Bottom Line:
I have beat the living crap out of this bike for 4 years and have been mostly happy; you have to do regular maintenance but I have crashed it and jumped it just about every way possible; I weight 200lb and ride about 5-7 days a week. Iron Horse has discontinued this model apparently and I have yet to see a frame that looks as good as this on their new bikes. I've upgraded everything except for the wheels, seatpost and fork suspension with good results; put better but not too expensive parts on this frame and it's a great bike to do FR type stuff for not a lot of $$. Great bike to learn on for both riding and rebuilding. It feels great when you fly past someone with a $2000 plus bike on this thing.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrak/mountain

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Good

Similar Products Used:   Good ole Sears and Walmart specials

Bike Setup:   Hayes IH2 disc, Mythos XC F/R, FoxShox Fork, RST22 Rear Susp., SRAM drivetrain, cheapest Shimano F/R derailleurs, crappy SRAM gripshifts

Submitted by Anthony Moore a Weekend Warrior from north adams, MA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2007

Strengths:    inexpensive

Weaknesses:    everything on this bike was loose when i bought it. The chain kept skipping off of the sprocket because of loose crank bearings. Two bike shops couldnt figure it out. The bike sat because of this for the last three years. I just brought it out the other day and figured it out. The swingarm shifts side to side when i hit a bump and turn at the same time.

Bottom Line:
Make sure you check to see that everything is tight when you buy this bike.

Similar Products Used:   many brands

Submitted by freezer DeFrees a Weekend Warrior from Cazenovia

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2005

Strengths:    every thing except the rear swing arm. works as any kind of bike you want it to be.

Weaknesses:    rear bushings are made of nylon and break easy. Back will move around when buchings go bad.

Bottom Line:
get custom parts and you will have a great ride.it handels great and can be used as a great mountaincross/dirtjumper.

Favorite Trail:   Highland forrest

Purchased At:   big ales

Bike Setup:   All mountain with downhill componets (except supension)

Submitted by Eric Smejkal a Weekend Warrior from Bend Oregon

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2004

Strengths:    theres a strength to this bike?

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
Everything started breaking on me. The first thing were the forks. It came wiht rock shock judys and the travel adjuster broke so i was stuck with about 2 inches of travel because it wouldnt bottom out. Then the left crank arm fell off because it was totally stripped. Later i realized that me handle bars were bent down. The lining of my tire wore away on the inside to sharp metal and popped my tire 3 times before the bike shop realized what was wrong. My rim was just totally bent. The breaks arent working as well anymore. The Deraileur almost fell off cause the arm came loose. The seat post screw holding my seat on bent. My seat bent into an upside down u. This bike is not worth your money. I've only had this bike for about 1 1/2 months and its falling apart on me!! Ofcourse i think the stuff im doing with this bike is alittle bit too big for it. A Beginner rider who wont take it off 10 foot drops *eh hem* would be happy with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   phils

Purchased At:   Supergo

Submitted by Casey Gallagher a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2004

Strengths:    Cost.

Weaknesses:    head set, rear shock, swingarm and CUSTOMER SERVICE! I have emailed two questions to Iron Horse directly and have gottne zero answers.

Bottom Line:
Like the other reviews I agree that this is a good bike for the price I paid. I don't mind the shifter pods so much, although they are a bit big. The Judy fork has been fine; it handled some decent drop offs and jumps. The WTB head set sucks! The head is always loose. The swing arm was constantly coming loose and it liked to wander so I contacted Iron horse about this with no response so I went to the hardware store and found a better bolt and machined a couple of thicker washers to fit in the rear triangle and that seems to have sovled the problem. The rear shock gave out on me after two weeks of riding (I weigh 230) which isn't a surprise. I replaced it with a fox float air which has been great except the eyelet for the fox is too big for the stock reducers. Iron Horse again was no help so I had to machine my own. The bottom line is that I have been quite happy with the bike. I ride 4-6 days per week and it has taken everything I have thrown at it. The overall raiting isn't as high for the customer service and some of the issues I have had with components and the swing arm. You would be hard pressed to find a bike for this price with decent (low end) name brand disc brakes and components.

Favorite Trail:   Any that go up and down

Purchased At:   bicyclebuys.com

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper FS, Hard Rock Uno

Bike Setup:   XT rear derailer, Deore crankset, HMX 2 mechs, Fox float rear shck, Longer neck and flat bar. Everything else is stock except for the swing arm bolt and washers - see below.

Submitted by Danny Shew a Weekend Warrior from Greenville, SC

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2004

Strengths:    Durable, Good Components for the money

Weaknesses:    Heavy, but a FS bike on a downhill style frame will be

Bottom Line:
When I started, I weighed in at about 240 lbs. I tore through the WalMart bike that I had. Many failures later, I bought the Sinister. I have put this bike through the wringer, including a solo effort at the 12 hours of Razorback in Feb 2004. I have no complaints. Great components for the money, and it has held up great. Not only is it holding up better than the previous bike, I have become a better rider over time, and after getting comfortable on the bike, I am putting through more than the other bike could have dreamed of.

Bike Setup:   Stock except WTB Weifwolf tires

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Chandler,AZ

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2004

Strengths:    strong frame, Shimano XT components. Great price on a full suspension bike

Bottom Line:
I am a bigger guy and this bike can't take some punishment. I have been taking it out on the desert classic which is very ruggid 2 days a week and after the 4 time I have to take it in for the free 60 day tune up. I had a little problem with the shifts but all is good now. The brakes and full suspension are great.

Favorite Trail:   desert classic

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   first mountain bike

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT derailer, Deore shifters, and tru vativ cranks

Submitted by Chris a Downhiller from Bend,OR,USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Weaknesses:    I acutally have the patrol which is simillar frame but a piece of s#!% I have already gutted the entire thing and i bought it 3 days ago. DID have S.I.S. f.r. derails. ?for the rear shock. judy tt 80mm. 7 speed rear, 7 speed over under brake and shifter combos. tektro mechanical disc. 6000 aluminum frame. single wall alm rims. pos hubs 7 speed compatible. plastic pedals. truvativ drivetrain, crankset. hard a$$ seat whith cromolly post. horrible neck and flat bar.

Bottom Line:
NOW HAS!!! 130mm front fork w/hydraulic adjust. tranz-x downhill neck. pig aheadset anodized red. raceface bar 2' rise. LX shifters. Avid single digit 7 brakes. 8' front rotor. 2.8' front michelon tire 2.5' rear. ODI lock on grips w/red anodized collars. snafu seat with raceface post. redline seald bearing pedals. LX front dr. LX 9 speed rear dr. LX 9speed cassete, XT rear disc hub 9speed. Velocity rims powder coated red black nipples with red spokes. noleen rear shock 4' w red spring. NOW MY BIKE IS KICK ASS!!!! BUILD UP ROLL OUT!!!!! for 200 total! nothing like working in corporate america where nobody sees the big bike bills! LOL!!!!

Favorite Trail:   HARDGUYS Boise,ID

Purchased At:   shop i work at