Iron Horse SGS Team 2003 Full Suspension

4.31/5 (13 Reviews)

Submitted by rodus77 a Downhiller from Pecs

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2008

Strengths:    Unbreakable, very massive

Weaknesses:    for me the bottom bracket and the shock is a bit high, heavy overall

Bottom Line:
i think the frame technology just developed so far in the past 1-2 years, but this one is timeless. if you can handle weight and youre not a puxxy, you will love this one. with e13 link and a light fork you can do anything. i have just fitted 888 rc3 and its now a bit heavy overall, but still handles anything down the hill. i tried the maribor wcup trail and my hayes' died but had a great time with this frame..

Favorite Trail:   Mecsek bazmeg nincs más

Bike Setup:   888 marzocchi rc3 Wcup, single/double track, truvativ holzfella, bbb parts, hayes brakes

Submitted by Nick a Downhiller from mass

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2007

Strengths:    the rear shock is nice i like the ground clearence and the hayes brakes are good

Weaknesses:    this is a good bike for freeride but downhill not so much the rear end on mine cracked beacause it moves back and forth get a 2004 sgs or a sunday not the 03

Bottom Line:
dont get this bike if you want to do downhilling.

Purchased At:   shop

Similar Products Used:   knoa stinkey knoa stab

Bike Setup:   2006 santa cruz v-10

Submitted by Nick a Downhiller from mass

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
dont get this bike if you want to do downhilling.

Purchased At:   shop

Similar Products Used:   knoa stinkey knoa stab

Bike Setup:   2006 santa cruz v-10

Submitted by Jim W. a Downhiller from Rutland, Vermont

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2006

Strengths:    Sweeeeet ride!!! Yellow, solid, soaks up everything. I've been riding Ironhorse DH bikes for 6 yrs now and I'll never buy anything different!

Weaknesses:    Decals are real lame. Poor linkage kit, really wobley. Spend a extra $60 for the '04 e13 linkage kit. Well worth it!

Bottom Line:
Muuhahahahaha!!!! Love it!!!

Favorite Trail:   #31 - The Beast - Killington Resort

Purchased At:   Randall Scott Cycles - Frame Only

Similar Products Used:   '01 Ironhorse G-Spot, '02 SGS DH Pro

Bike Setup:   Jr. T, Hayes, Azonic, Bombshell rims, Nokians, MRP, XT, XTR, Progressive 5th.

Submitted by L.G. Fuentes III a Downhiller from Redondo Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2004

Strengths:    Specs,price, handling

Weaknesses:    stock seat, nothing else

Bottom Line:
I got this bike after riding my friends SGS Pro, and watching him beat the cr@p out of his for the last 6 months with no issues. Unless you are a true pro DH racer and need keep up appearances with a Foes, V10, or an Intense, you will NOT find a better deal than the Iron Horse SGS Team. I just got back from Bootleg on this baby and I can tell you it just plain ROCKS! I got the small frame, but am only 5'7", and I will tell you it felt as nimble as my Kona Coiler, and jumps like a dream. I never once felt like I was on a 45lb DH rig. No it doesn't pedal up hill at all, but that's what my other bikes are for. Small 6'-7' drops to flat are nothing with the 5th Element and Dorado. I never thought I would say I might try 10' to flat, but with this rig, I just may. The bottom line: I just don't know any other bike that is better spec'd, at under $2500, that actually performs. I highly reccomend this buy if you can still find any at retail.

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg

Similar Products Used:   Kona Coiler; Santa Cruz Bullit;

Bike Setup:   Stock except for new WTB Power DH saddle

Submitted by Nate H a Racer from Snoqualmie, Wa

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
Sorry to say even though Iron Horse has given me great customer support and kept me running for a year now, after 4 broken swingarms i am finaly getting off this frame. If you are planning on doing very serious DH riding (25+ ft gaps, Nationals/World Cup lvl courses) THe 2003 swingarms arn't going to do anything for you. 2004 is supposed to fix the problem but I haven't gotten my 04 swingarm yet so i can't say.

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Strengths:    Rearend Flex Fix... info.
Just cut off just a little bit of the shaft pipe that the bolt goes thru. I cut off about 4mm from one of the ends and the Flexy feelings all gone. I got My info right for this fix right from Iron Horse's web sight.
The Ringle rear 12mm hub got some slop that let rear axle side back and forth about 5mm each way in the hub. Supergo looked at it and sent it back to Ringle. "Tony" from Ringle's warranty Dept.'s really helpful and the hub should be fixed underwarranty and back to Me to ASAP! I've had nothing but GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE from SUPERGO, MANITOU, and now RINGLE. THAKS AGAIN GUY'S! Even with the bikes slight set backs the whole BIKE still ROCKS!

Bottom Line:
I only droped one "overall chili" for the little set backs.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on...

Purchased At:   SUPERGO

Submitted by Dave A a Downhiller from Germany

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Update!! Got the fix for the rear end flex problem. Found the orignal post on RideMonkey.com. The fix pretty much consists of filing 1mm of the bolt that goes tru the bottom of the shock and using a washer on the outer part of the plate. I found On my bike I just needed a washer. I was getting about 1 inxh of flex by wiggling the wheel, now its like 1\8 of an inch..I also poured about 10cc of synth lubein spring side of my fork smoothed it out quite a bit.

Favorite Trail:   Rodalben Trail f

Submitted by Nate Hoch a Downhiller from Snoqualmie, Wa

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2003

Strengths:    Great all around bike, very nimble and controled. Tons of travel without that botttomless spongy feel of most DH bikes. Great pedaler(probably the 5th element)

Weaknesses:    Broke the chainstay right on the weld at the Nationals in Schwietzer. But Iron horse warranted it without question and overnight shipped it too me for free. Best customer support i have ever experienced.

Bottom Line:
I realy love this bike and even though the rear end had some flex in it the e13 guys realy helped me out in fixing it and the customer service was impressive. I am planing to go semi pro within a year and i feel this bike is more than capable to ride at any level.

Favorite Trail:   Exit 27

Purchased At:   Supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stab, Stab Primo, Stinky Deelux , Titus Quasi Moto , Giant Dh comp, Azonic Eliminator

Bike Setup:   Stock except for lock on grips and intense 909 rear tire.

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    This is a quick follow-up review after my first post two months ago now.
The bike still flat out rocks on the trail. I can jump and drop off things much better then on my old single pivot XC/FR bike. The fast Down Hill trails are a PLUSH HIGH SPEED DREAM now!
The whole bike is it's main over all STRENGTH!

Weaknesses:    The Manitou 20mm axle is a real B!TCH to take out and put back in on the trail. Made even worse when it's 110 freaking degrees in the HOT AZ SUN!. It's a really tight fit? The axle and the end nut are both made out of only "Aluminum?" The threads were deformed as if somone used the tip of an Allen wrench to force out the axle? Needless to say it got crossed threaded when I was putting it back on? Supergo did a total check out and over haul on My bike after about 6 weeks and I told them about it. They called Manitou and got me a brand new axle and end bolt too. Say what you will... but My Local SUPERGO's always took care of Me! Thanks SuperGo!
Other then that the frork came alitle low on fork oil and after three hard rides the fork's top end really stiffened up? I put in about 20cc's of fork oil into the top of each leg and it's prefectly PLUSH AGAIN! All and all... the fork has won Me over even with the mild set backs.
Some of the bolts came loose on the main swingarm pivot and the little bolts that hold on the fork Manitou fork guards... "No big deal just put some "Light" lock tight on them."

Bottom Line:
The bike is still the best whole "DH" bike deal out there!
Even stock the bike was well worth the money that I paid for it. With the little "presonal touches" that I put on it the bike is just AWESOME! My all around Trail, Uraban and DH skills have really improved. With all the money that I saved I got some better body armor and I'm not making endless payments to a bike shop.
Once again The Medium sized SGS TEAMS were almost all sold two months ago.
See you @ the NORBA National DH race in Durango, in August. I love that DH RACE!
The Bike still FLAT OUT ROCKS ON THE TRAIL! "HIGH MARKS ALL THE WAY AROUND!"

Favorite Trail:   All of South Mountain's trails.

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Blha, blha, blha!

Bike Setup:   Stuff I did to the stock set up for personal touchs...
First off the I put on some ODI lock on grips.
I put a FSA DH 38 tooth front ring to make it pedal better.
Then I put on a more climbing freindly Mountain Bike 12/34 rear casset.
I put on a new set of Profile 175mm crank arms, that I already had... on it too. These all helped the bike to be a much better all around pedaing bike. That makes the mild climbs and Urban so much more rider friendly.

Submitted by Doug a Downhiller from Big Bear Lake CA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Strengths:    Tough as my Intense M1. Superior specs, including Dorado fork, 5th Element, Profile, etc.

Weaknesses:    Only what you'd replace anyway: you'll need new grips and seat. e13 chain guide/bash may be a question, tho no problem so far.

Bottom Line:
After watching Iron Horse/ Madcatz team take 3 of top 7 places at Big Bear NORBA DH this year I looked into it. The IH team rides this bike stock, except for Ti coil on rear shock. So far, it's been as tough as my 2002 M1, through some hard crashes, tho I'm 180#, so can't vouch for clydesdales, and my speed only average. Handles technical sections beautifully; also tracks great on DH fireroads for SuperD. Rear sits up a little high--some prefer a 24 in. tire on back, but I'm ok with regular size. *At $2950 complete this has to be the best deal in MTBiking.*

Favorite Trail:   Summit DH

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Intense M1.

Bike Setup:   ODI locks; WTB DH saddle; else stock. Remove some of the crummy decals

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2003

Strengths:    You've got to see it to believe it! GREAT PARTS SPECK! The photos of it on the Iron Horse, and Supergo's web sights do not show the new sweet "2003 frame!" Every part on the whole bike is staying put! I only put on a set of ODI lock on grips and that's it!

Weaknesses:    When I cramed it into the shuttle pickup with the six other DH bikes the paint got scratched... due to "My own eagerness" to get in another run.

Bottom Line:
I thought I wanted one of those "other bikes" that came with the new the Super T pro or a Monster T? But all of the other "whole DH bike deals"... just couldn't match up to the IRON HORSE SGS TEAM. IN TOTAL BIKE VALUE for your hard earned money. (WED.)When I pulled it out of the BOX at Supergo I was really happy to see just how nice the 2003 frame looked and how wide the rear drop outs were to fit the bigger DH rear hub. I couldn't wait to ride it. When I ordered the bike I thought about trading off the Dorodo fork for a BOMBER at first? "WHAT WAS I THINKING?" I'm VERY HAPPY with the Manitou DORADO DH fork! (THURSDAY)I picked up the complete bike the next day and I worked on both of the shock set ups and made some other smaller personal fine tuning tweeks to the bike. Then Friday I went on an easy DH trail ride to break it in some. It felt and road fine but my other bike is a single pivot so it road and felt very different then what I'm use to... at first. I worked on the shock set ups and fine tuned them both to work better together some more and did SHUTTLES with the crew on Saturday. I took it easy on the first run of the day again and started to find the bikes sweet spot and "what speed the bike felt and worked best at?" Let's just say it was MUCH FASTER then on my other XC/FR Bike! By the seconed run I was feeling the love and let it unwind some more. "WHAT A BIKE!" The fork is the smoothest riding fork "right out of the BOX!" All the other post I read "here" about the Manitou DORADO fork taking a long time to break in? or it breaking? or it being noisy? "WERE YOU RIDING THE SAME FORK I AM?" I loved it. The 5th Element works awesome too. It took some time to get it to feel just right, but get a friend with "one" to help you get it dialed in. The whole bike works so well together what else can I say. Great rims, hubs, tires, Profile cranks, the e-13 works great but it does make a little noise... no big deal though. The Hayes rear break was re-bled after the first DH test ride. It had some air in the line only... NO LEAKS! They work and feel great too. I saw the Iron Horse booth at Inner Bike and thought the whole bike was the best value out there... at the time. The frame was my only concern? I liked the 2003's new 4 bar FSR link that has the new cooler "FATTER LOOKING" e-13 center link on it. Go look at a photo of "the real 2003 frame" and you'll see what I'm talking about... TRUST ME! The IRON HORSE "FRAME" and the WHOLE BIKE flat out rocks on the trail for only $3.000! My friends that spent more for less "total bike value" were all bumbed. I was going to build up a custom DH bike for around $5.000 for a deal price. I don't work at a bike shop but I got some good friend's on the inside. I'm glad that I took the chance on the Iron Horse bike already!
If I broke the frame or any other part on the bike tomorrow I would still be happy with the money that I saved and for the great parts that I still had left over!

Iron Horse was already out of the "medium" sized SGS TEAM frames already on 5/5/03? That's why I got my bike from My local Supergo Store, Thanks again Norm.
If you want to get one? Get it fast before they're all down the trail ahead of you!
IRON HORSE SGS TEAM... Yea BABBY!

Favorite Trail:   Whatever's in front of Me!

Purchased At:   SUPERGO

Similar Products Used:   Lot's of other XC/FR and DH bikes...

Bike Setup:   All STOCK BABBY! "Except for the new ODI Lock On Grips."

Submitted by Dave Akin a Downhiller from Abilene Tx

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2003

Strengths:    Great parts, Great Fork, Great shocks, Great Chain guide, and Great Wheelset.

Weaknesses:    The rear has a little flex and the fork makes a little noise but other than that no weaknesses to speak of.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks it feels a little spongy but when you get your drop on the suspension really supports the ride well.
The forks do make some noise but Manitou said that is expected when break in is in progress. The tires are a little to sticky for urban but great on loose anything.
Over all the bike feels great in the air weather on stair gaps or downhill drops or rock gardens. Bike is solid
Hardcore XC'ers And ROADIES need not apply