Haro Werks XLS 1.0 2003 Full Suspension

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by Dane Harden a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio, Texas

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2005

Strengths:    Well built. Very tough for a CC bike. Reasonable weight. The component spec is good for the price. Handles very well. All around great intermediate bike.

Weaknesses:    The rear suspension slows down quite a bit on square-edged rocks. That may be common, but I can't help wondering how a true Horst link 4-bar suspension would handle on the same trail. Black fork is tough, but a little rough.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a steal for what I paid for it. It has motivated me to keep riding, and I still admire it while hanging out in the garage. However, due to some inherent lack of ability in leaving well-enough alone, I tend to replace components in my mind and wonder how much of an effect they would have for the money. Here's what I might replace, the replacement part, and why.

The shifters and rear der were replaced after a wreck. I got the Sram components after reading favorable reviews - They work better, are much easier to adjust, but the Deore/LX combination worked well enough that I wouldn't have changed them if they hadn't been damaged.

The riser bar has been an excellent upgrade (just got it a week ago). I have lost nothing in climbing like I thought I might, and have gained quite a bit in technical handling and light jumping.

The rear shock, if I replace it, will be my last upgrade. It works, but I think the bike would really benefit by a more modern shock, like the Manitou Swinger 4-way (which I know will fit). I think a higher volume shock would improve suspension performance quite a bit, so would a coil shock, but it wouldn't be worth the weight penalty.

The fork will be replaced by a Fox Vanilla RLC. I've read nothing but great reviews about it, and I want a smoother-riding fork.

The cranks I'll replace with Race Face Atlas - also great reviews, and they look cool. I'm really not too bothered by flex in the LX, but I could pass these off to my wife (the cranks of her bike suck) and get a "new gadget" fix in the process.

Wheels and disc brakes. The Deore hubs and running a little gritty, even after cleaning them out, but it's really brake performance that I'm after. I'll likely go with XT/717 wheels and Avid BB7 mech brakes. Juicy 7's would be top choice, but mechs are quite a bit cheaper.

The seat I'll replace with one of the new Specialized "improved blood flow" ones for comfort and, well, you know...

Oh yeah, I already put Yeti lock-on grips on the bike, and they have been an excellent upgrade, and the bar switch-out was super-easy.

If you've been patient enough to read this far, thanks, and I hope this helps your buying/improving decision.

I think this bike is just about perfect for a somewhat experienced rider on a budget, who wants versatility in his ride.

Favorite Trail:   Around here - OP Schnabel, but I hear Government Canyon is good

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Similar Products Used:   Motobecane 700DS. Test rode Specialized Stumpjumper (handles similarly, but oh so sweet) which was a bit over budget, and most recently a Santa Cruz Blur, which was great, but not great enough for me to consider replacing my Haro, but the XT hydraulics were incredible. Cannondale Jeckyll - the lamest-riding bike I've been on - as unremarkable as unremarkable gets.

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of x-9 shifters and an X-o rear derailleur...and a 2 inch riser bar (highly recommended)

Submitted by Clay a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2005

Strengths:    The frame makes a great foundation to upgrade on. A very responsive bike that is very predictable and tracks well through tight turns. Fox float soaks up almost all the bumps. I've never bottomed out the rear. Great for all around trail riding.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy for racing. The color is not very subtle. Comes with a flat bar and a long stem.

Bottom Line:
I have bought this bike new and have ridden non stop since. It has held up very well for the amount of abuse it has taken, getting me through 2 24hr races and a 12hr in conditions you would not believe. The simple single pivot point design has worked like a champ and rarely lock out the rear shock. The LBS recently told me it was co-designed with Intense but I don't now if that's correct. If you can find one of these used it's a great option.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill Ranch

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Similar Products Used:   test rode tons of full suspension bikes in this price range.

Bike Setup:   EC70 carbon riser bars, avid mech disc, Mavic Crossland wheelset and Mythos tubeless.

Submitted by Brett a Cross Country Rider from Bowling Green, KY

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2004

Strengths:    solid, simple frame design, 4 inches of travel front and rear, fork, seat, color, price, geometry, efficient pedaling without a SPV type shock

Weaknesses:    tires. save the larsen TT's for race day. and then only when the trail is super dry.

Bottom Line:
i've had some time to ride the bike now and am continually amazed at it's capabilities. it has only been limited by the rider as to what it can do. downhills are SO FAST on this bike. i can't tell how many people i've caught and almost run over on the downhills. pedaling is efficient, climbing is great, and the looks on people's faces as you blow past them are priceless. this is my second Haro (i've got a hardtail for racing too). they are built strong and dependable. i have no problem recommending this bike to my friends. they work pretty good for seamus mcgrath, chris sheppard, and mike king at the races too.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim

Purchased At:   VA Creeper Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   schwinn rocket 88, trek fuel, specialized epic, cannondale jekyll

Bike Setup:   stock except for panaracer fire xc tires and yeti hardcore grips (absolute best grips you can buy) plan to replace the pedals with 959's in the future.

Submitted by David Rilling a Cross Country Rider from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    Great handling on single tract, climbs, and downhill. Light, yet strong. Good shock ('02 SID w/+,- & rebound).

Weaknesses:    Frame busted and was promply replaced with a '03 Werks XLS 3.0 frame from Haro. I originally purchased a '02 Werks XLS 1.0 in 2003 for a discounted price since I had my own Marzocchi MX Comp ETA fork, Easton EA 70 riser bars, and WTB Laser V saddle.

Bottom Line:
Great value! Excellent trailbike which I have raced cross-country, competively. Long feel, so shorten stem and move seat back to re-center some to rear. Probably not the bike for the "Boutique Biker" set and serious racers, but a "best buy" for everyone else, especially if you keep for a few years and upgrade as needed to suit your needs.

Favorite Trail:   Double Lake, Coldspring, TX.

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Similar Products Used:   Owned a Fisher hardtail which I upgraded with a Marzocchi MX Comp ETA fork, Easton EA 70 riser bars, and WTB Laser V saddle. Have test rode Sugars, Cakes, Blurs, Stumpjumpers, Fuels, Liquids, etc. I like the Haro XLS Werks best (Go figure!)

Bike Setup:   New '03 XLS Works 3.0 Frame, Marzocchi MX Comp ETA fork, Easton EA 70 riser bars, Easton EA&) stem, BOX pedals, Easton EA50 seat post, and WTB Laser V saddle.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Ont. Canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2003

Strengths:    A great cross-country bike. Not much bob while climbing. Also, nice with the lock-out on centre shock.

Weaknesses:    Only thing...I wish it had riser bars.

Bottom Line:
Very impressed with the Haro...an awesome ride!!! Centre shock is great because I've always rode hardtail. Was worried about the bob at first but not a problem.

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills, Ravenshoe trails

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bike Sports

Similar Products Used:   Tried the Gary Fisher Sugar 3.

Submitted by Richard a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town South Africa

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2002

Strengths:    The Haro is able to perform well as a Cross Country bike, adjustable Black Elite and rear lockout and air pressure adjustment, and as a descender with four inches of travel each end. I am a Cross Country rider at heart and it needs to climb well but with all the options it can do this and descend quicker and safer as well.

Weaknesses:    You wish it could be lighter but for this money that's unreasonable.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, the longer top tube works the parts are solid and you can upgrade those bits that you might destroy. Even the brakes work which I was not expecting. For somebody who is not allowed more than one mountain bike in the house, and does not have more money that you need to get rid of, this bike will do just about all the sane trail riding as well as you could wish for. If you like to tweak there is plenty to keep you happy or you can just set it up and leave it.

Favorite Trail:   Tokai Cape Town