Haro Extreme X3 2003 Full Suspension

4.64/5 (25 Reviews)

Submitted by mattwest` a Weekend Warrior from Mass

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2009

Strengths:    rear suspension, fork, and adjustibility of both

Weaknesses:    a little heavy going uphill

Bottom Line:
This is my first full suspension so it is a big step up from a hardtail. I like dont think i would of bought this bike for full price but i got a deal on the bike and it had only been ridden 3 times.

Favorite Trail:   vietnam,Milford ma

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   first full suspension

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by ........ ................ a Downhiller from exeter

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2008

Strengths:    good strong frame, extremely light weight, handles anything with ease

Weaknesses:    no matter what rear shock it seems to have, before you ride it it will make a horrible clucking noise for about five mintues into your ride

Bottom Line:
when i first bought this bike i wasnt too comfedent about it as i had herd reviews about the frame cracking, however i have accepted that and taken it off the big drops (30ft) and to my suprize there has been no damage atall ,none,. so i am very happy with this bike infact i love it and wouldn't swap it for anything. this is my perfect bike and i would reccoment it to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   haldon

Purchased At:   simply the bike

Similar Products Used:   no comparison

Bike Setup:   drop off 3's, marzocchie roco tst r, funn stem and bars, mavic 325 rims, funn hubs (very loud and clicky), e.c.t

Submitted by steven clavett from Laconia,NH,.USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2006

Strengths:    Stong solid frame accept for front shock mount. I cracked it up top.

Weaknesses:    The frame had some brake jack but so do all single pivots. The crack is allitle weird but myfriend has the same shock mont in the same place and it is not even welded in that spot.

Bottom Line:
Good bike that ride veary whell accept for brake jack. I rde on the road alot to get to trails and to cruise around town. I also do alot of freeride and jumps and it handles it all veary well. It also rides single track veary smoot in rough single crack.

Favorite Trail:   NE style at Highlands.

Purchased At:   From friend

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR XC, Hard Rock, Haro Zero 1, Norco Launch.

Bike Setup:   5th Element in rear. black elite in front. Cross land wheelset. Race Face components exept for cranks. Deore LX everything else.

Submitted by gregory prior a Downhiller from mansfield massachusetts

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2006

Strengths:    Great downhiller and everyday rider. I ride atleast 3 miles on road everyday I have a paper route great bike for mud, rain, downhill, snow, street, and trail riding Ihave done all of the above that I have just listed this bike is like a jeep wrangler to me which i have also.

Weaknesses:    The left top rail on my swingarm cracked all around not sure how it happened either [think it was the cold] not sure though otherwise the best bike I have ridden.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for everthing and everyone I think. The bike has a lifetime warranty on the frame so I am getting the bikes rear swingarm for free all I have to pay is to get it installed by sirois a well spent fifty bucks. Sirois is also a reccomended bike shop.

Favorite Trail:   MT. Attitash New H ampshire and Foxboro State Forest

Purchased At:   Sirois bicycle shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Trek full suspension bike, and a crappy old Mongoose

Bike Setup:   Maxxis Downhill specific tires, Topeak tool kit with Torx tools in it,Sprocket protector, Cateye micro wireless speedometer,Bar ends, clipless pedals with cleets, and I think that's all the upgrades.

Submitted by Joel Hays a Downhiller from Loveland, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2005

Strengths:    Great bike, frame work great, nice and beefy.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy and the Psylo fork sucks.

Bottom Line:
It is a great bike, i love it and i got a great deal on it. the new front and rear shock really helped. lots of people had trouble with cracking frames, i think mine is working so well is the new rear shock. i recently had to replace the Psylo fork with a All Mountain 3. i broke the Psylo twice and decided the replace it. all in all, a great bike, for downhill and dirtjumping, but heavy freeride might be pushing the limits.

Favorite Trail:   The Downhill (Winter Park)

Purchased At:   mtbr.com

Similar Products Used:   Santacruz heckler

Bike Setup:   X3, 5th Element progressive rear shock, Marzocchi All Mountain 3 fork. Raceface 44 3rd tooth chain ring

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Falkirk, Scotland

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2004

Strengths:    Good all round bike, good uphills, no bob, great downhills, light for what it is

Weaknesses:    Frame cracked!

Bottom Line:
This is an update on my earlier post....yeah..the frame cracked. The rear weld just where the two rear chain stays meet at the top cracked right down the middle. Having a hard time getting it replaced. The bike was great, but gradually I took it off bigger and bigger things. I think an 8 foot to flat may have killed it finally. The Psylo's held up though! Looking for something a bit beefier now. As mentioned below, good bike if you're not going to go to hard...if you're going to go hard get a bullit, or a G spot, something along those lines.

Favorite Trail:   Any 7 Stanes at the mo

Submitted by Jerry Wagner a Downhiller from Long Island

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2004

Strengths:    Good Performance(rides great), i onwned this exact frame for 3 monthes until it broke but iv been riding the frame for 2-3 years

Weaknesses:    I cracked 5 frames in two different spots (rear triangle 2 times, and the weld where the rear triangle hooks on to the front frame 3 times.

Bottom Line:
i really like the bike exept for it cracking at the welds all the time, they warranty it but i just sent it in today for repair warranty and im not sure if they are going to give me another frame. I flatland, dirtjump, street, go to skate parks, and much more, its an all round good bike, just weak in the frame. i hardly ever crash, it breaks from stress i think, if ur going to be extremly hard on the bike, i wouldent get it, if ur looking for a ride in the park and some 5 ft jumps and 6 ft acid drops, its ok. but any thing more like 10 stairs its not to sutible.(doing a 10 stair once wont hurt lol)

Favorite Trail:   ChaosMTB@bolt.com

Purchased At:   Cycle world

Similar Products Used:   haro extreme X0 broke 2 of there frames, they upgraded me for free to x3 after 2nd frame

Bike Setup:   downhill tires, rock shox Psylo SL 125 mm travel, rear- 5 inches, mavic rims, hayes 8 inch (dont fit, so i put washers on the axel where the disk is to push it off the frame

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Lakewood, Ohio USA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2004

Strengths:    This is just an update from my review below.

Weaknesses:    For the money none worth mentioning

Bottom Line:
I changed the RS Psylos for 2004 Marz Drop Off 2. These forks make the bike come alive! I am 200lbs (213lbs riding weight) and with that much weight these forks are pretty good on the trail and still take the drops. I have more time in on my Bullit and this bike stacks up nicely to it. It feel's like I am riding the Bullit's little brother. It handles very much the same.

I love this bike even more than before.

Similar Products Used:   SC Bullit

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Lakewood, Ohio USA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2004

Strengths:    Slack head tube, strong swingarm and nice spec.

Weaknesses:    only 5" of rear travel

Bottom Line:
A great value for 750 bucks. It was lightly used and still had all stock parts except a tire and handlebars. I have gotten a few good rides in on this bike and I can tell you that it would be worth it's msrp.

I wits it had 6" rear travel and I could put a Boxxer race set to 6" on it. But oh well. I feel lucky to have gotten a bike this solid for 750.

Purchased At:   Used Online

Similar Products Used:   Specialzed enduro, beefed up gt i-Drive, SC bullit.

Bike Setup:   Fox vanilla r with a 600lbs. spring, Truvative Huss isis BB and cranks, wtb dual duty rims, deore hydros, maxxis mobster 2.5 front and rear, extra firm Psylo spring, easton e150 riser bars, snafu platform pedals, weyless DH stem.

Submitted by Matt Ethell a Weekend Warrior from Manchester, England

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2004

Strengths:    This bike is excellent for the price, it should have cost £1200 but I got it for £650! I dont know how the shop do it but they are all ready discounting the 2004 Haro models! I have been after a coil sprung FS bike for a while and was saving up for an Orange Patriot Deore. But I went into Highpeak cycles for some spares and came out with the Haro. I know it will never live upto the Orange, but for the money I would bet it is impossible to get any better!

Weaknesses:    The whole bike is excellent and the spec is top notch. However, the hubs look a bit suspect and as soon as I get any problems with them a new wheelset will be sought. The Psylo forks are excellent but to soft for me (6ft 2ins and 15st) So I have just bought a new extra firm (black) spring from the internet (£30). The Fox shock is a little soft for me but i think i'll live with the extra sag for the moment.

Bottom Line:
Buy this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Hope Valley, Derbyshire

Purchased At:   Highpeak cycles, Glossop, UK

Similar Products Used:   Orange Patriot Deore

Bike Setup:   as standard but with Easton EA50 high riser bars

Submitted by Jonathan a Weekend Warrior from Shrewsbury, MA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2003

Strengths:    Nice beefy frame, value, good component mix, very little suspension bob, handling, did I mention value?

Weaknesses:    Front Rock Shox Psylo XC, too cushy
seat is a little harsh

Bottom Line:
An excellent bike. I originally wanted an S.C. Heckler, but for half the price I got an Extreme 03. I got it at the end of the season so 10% off of list. I have been looking for a F/S ride for about a year and I am very happy with the bike. It handles very well on decents and on singletrack. I have a Schwinn Homegrown hardtail that I have been using for the last 6 years, so I am used to great handling and good climbing from a bike. The Haro climbs real well, no problem with suspension bob. I have only been off some 4ft. drops so far and the bike feels strong. The Fox R rear is very nice and adjusts easily. The Front fork is definity more XC oriented. I am about 150lbs. and it bottoms pretty easily, not horrible, just a bit heavier would be good. What do you want for $1200 right? The 525 discs are very nice as well. They have excellent modulation, just not as powerful as similar Hayes. I have been told you need to break them in, and I only have about 6 hours on the bike. I know they have done some major changes to the '04 model, new frame, front Marzoc shock and 5-6" travel now in rear. Overall this the bike is great. If you are looking for a good freeride/XC bike and you do not have a lot of cash this is the ticket. The only reason I gave it an overall 4 chilis is because I have only had the bike for a little over a month.

Favorite Trail:   anything technical

Purchased At:   LBS- Spoke-n-Wheel

Similar Products Used:   C-dale Gemini, SC Heckler, Jamis XLT 2.0, Specialized Enduro, Giant AC-2

Bike Setup:   All stock, so far, other than pedals

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Falkirk, Scotland

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2003

Strengths:    not too heavy, solid frame, good component mix

Weaknesses:    psylo xc are okayk, but beefier forks may have been a better option

Bottom Line:
This is my first full suss. I've ridden a few different full suss, and finally bought one. This bike is a fantastic all around bike as a few people seem to have found. I picked it up for song on ebay, and couldn't be happier. Only had it 3 months, so gradually taking it off bigger and bigger drops.

I had it up to Fort Williams World Cup Downhill track and it was fine. A bit out of its depth, but fun all the same. Where it really came into its own was on the 4X track. It handled the doubles smoothly, and the drop would have been fine if I had the suspension set up properly! The next day we did the XC course and it was fantastic there as well! I love this bike. Its kind of a budget bullit. If you don't want to buy 3 bikes to do different things this could be one of the best buys out there.

Favorite Trail:   Any North Shore

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   kona stuff, kona stinky

Bike Setup:   stock except for shimano spd's with cages

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2003

Strengths:    - Nice Brakes
- Bang for the Buck!!!
- Great Travel
- Well Built
- Great for Freeride or Cross Country Biking

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike for first time and advanced riders! The price is definitely well worth it! I use mine about 2-3 times a week for XC and Freeriding. Climbs very well with little bob and can handle 6ft plus jumps with no problem!

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Submitted by BillyTK a Cross Country Rider from Portugal

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2003

Strengths:    -Geometry
-Weight
-Handling
-Price
-Very little bob when seated

Weaknesses:    -Flex

Bottom Line:
THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE FRAME ONLY

I'm in love with this bike, the geometry is awsome the slack headangle and the long wheel base makes me fly downhills, fast turns are so easy now and it climbs surprisingly well for the weight.
It has a little flex at the rear end, but honnestly my 00 FSR-XC was much worst than this bike, at least I don't feel it under power like happened on the FSR.

Overall what I can say is that it's a very worthy frame, especially at the price they come.

Favorite Trail:   Still searching

Purchased At:   Bike Zone

Similar Products Used:   Specialized SJ FSR-XC 00, Giant ATX 99, Bianchi CCLite, Specialized SJ FSR-XC 03

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi MXComp ETA, Crossroc, Avid discs, Sram drivetrain, Flite TransAm, Thomson stem and post, answer protaper bar, etc.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great Bike, my first full suspension and I can't be happier. Only part I changed was the original saddle or else I would never be having kids. I have beat the crap out of it and it has stood up. Brakes strong as hell, fork could use a little stronger spring, but still works for me. Weight is not a problem, (it's exercise). No bob from rear suspension either.

Purchased At:   Ridgewood Cycle