Haro Extreme X1 2003 Full Suspension

3.64/5 (42 Reviews)

Submitted by Matt a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Strengths:    Most everything. it looks sick! it rides smooth and its fast

Bottom Line:
Good bike. Love it. Anyone should buy it!

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Submitted by rutzjo a Downhiller from jefferson oregon, us

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2010

Strengths:    every tin except the fork

Weaknesses:    the stock forks

Bottom Line:
it was a great bike i rode it for four months till i cleared a ten stair in town and snapped the swing arm in three places

Favorite Trail:   bansai downhill

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   none first bike

Submitted by basso4735 a Weekend Warrior from MA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2010

Strengths:    Frame is strong, price

Weaknesses:    Manitou Six fork, Quad disc brakes, front derailleur.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike in '03 when it came out for $650-$700 if I remember correctly. Only recently (past few months) has it finally seen some real trails. I weigh 250lbs, and the only thing that has broken so far was the stock fork. I could never get the front derailleur to not rub the chain in most gears. I do mostly "aggressive xc" with tons of roots and rocks on the trails and it has held up so far. It seems like a fair entry level full sus bike, which I plan on keeping for a while and upgrade components as they break. If you can find one used for cheap, I wouldnt hesitate to buy it as long as the frame is in good shape. Components aren't the best, but as a beginner rider I have not felt held back by anything on this bike, except for when the fork broke.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Bike Setup:   Tora sl air fork
rest is stock

Submitted by bikerShaw a Downhiller from ireland

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2010

Strengths:    the frame is realy strong but durable, lotsdss of rear wheel travel and it is fully customizable.

Weaknesses:    Somtimes my front forks bottom out.

Bottom Line:
its a really good bike to start downhill on if u have set up the ryt way.

Favorite Trail:   Rostrevor nps

Purchased At:   Ebay uk

Bike Setup:   marazochi junior t triple clamp front fork, flnn Hanndle bars, steve peat grips, hayes 9 front brake hope mono 6 back brake, sun single track rims, dt swiss spokes Shimano 9 speed cogs, Shimano slx shifter, fox vanilla rear Shock and Maxis high roller Tyres.

Submitted by tannerdrummer a Downhiller from Mesa Arizona

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2009

Strengths:    I have the 2005 model. The frame is awesome. The front shock gets bad rap, and no I have not been jumping yet but they seem pretty good to me and can adjust individually. The rear shock is awesome. It absorbs alot of impact. I went middle of the road on both shocks, half way in between hard and soft.

Weaknesses:    Given this was used Im not sure this happens with all of them but the shifters stick on the right side. The disk brakes rub a tad but its not a huge deal. Chain makes a pretty good amount of noise when drops or jumps come in.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this is a great bike. If you can find a deal like I got it, dont think, just buy. It feels very nice to ride and is very smooth. The suspension I would give a 7 out of 10 but hey for stock thats pretty good and everything else is great.

Favorite Trail:   Nra Pit and Hawes Trail

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   I have not had any similar products given this is my first full suspension.

Bike Setup:   The bike is stock except alex rims and truvativ handlebars which came when i BOUGHT IT USED.

Submitted by Steven Lipinski a Weekend Warrior from Cottonwood, AZ Yavapi

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2006

Strengths:    Its my first full suspencion bike.For what I do,mainly riding to and from my job, going to school,and doing about 10 miles on weekends when I can get to Sedona Its an awsome bike. The rear adjustable suspencion,Shimmano deraillers,and my 1.5 in. Kenda Negevals are some of the best I have ever used.The brakes are ok for what I bought it for (when I bought the bike it was used as a rental bike for 1 year)

Weaknesses:    The crank, the seat post,and the pedals(I have stock clipless pedals so the only way to keep grip is the quarter inch spikes on each side, and yes I slip pedals and have the scars to prove it!)the paint job(because it was a rental it has manny a scar and chip in the paint and it takes forever for me to get the mud and dirt out)

Bottom Line:
I love the bike but I hate some of the parts. I have been wanting to upgrade several things...everything from the crank to the stem and then my bike shop stopped selling Hro's and couldent guarentee any work. This a great beginner bike and I have loved it and worked it hard over some pretty crazy terrain.I am also on a limited budget and I cant really buy all the parts I want to right now so I have to live with the stock parts which I have had trouble with anyway! In English: If your like me buy the bike NEW, not used( it may cost a hundred more bucks but that product warrenty is worth it!)And have some fun with it just you have to be careful on stock tires and tubes (I've had to replace my tube five times in six and a half months)

Favorite Trail:   Red Rock Pathways

Purchased At:   Mountain Bike Haeven

Bike Setup:   Full Stock

Submitted by Ian a Downhiller from Asheville NC USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2005

Strengths:    Great bike for the money, good suspension travel for beginner freeriders or aggressive trail riders. Pretty strong too.

Weaknesses:    Components are not the best but again its a beginner bike. Also front shock is terrible it has to be the stiffest shock i have ever ridden.

Bottom Line:
If you are just getting into mt. biking and are wanting to spend less than a thousand dollars on a good strong bike for anything from cross country to dual slalom this is the bike for you. Just definetely save some money for a front fork.

Favorite Trail:   trace ridge

Purchased At:   Carolina Fatz Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   None its my first pro bike

Bike Setup:   stock except for azonic love seat, manitou black fork and shorter freeride stem. (and tons of Carolina Fatz stickers!)

Submitted by Jason Holbrook a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2005

Strengths:    Adjustable Fox Shock, great gearing tires & Rims. Decent components.

Weaknesses:    Front Shock & Breaks

Bottom Line:
For what I paid this is an awesome bike. I recommend it to anyone starting out or who does not want to spend a fortune on a full suspension. I use on a nice 8-10 mile ride about 2-3 times a week with an 800 foot climb in under a mile and some great down hill single track (not too technical). On the weekends I'll take it out for either longer rides (40 miles), or some more technical terrain. I don't do a lot of big air, but do go over loads of rocks, rough trails and water crossings, haven't broken anything on it yet and it's just plain solid. First thing I did was upgrade the brakes though, those quad 4 disc brakes are down right scary doing anything that has a slope on it and should be the first thing to go. Soon I will need to replace the front shock, I have increased the load adjuster to maximum and it still seems to sag too much. The rear shock needs some careful adjustment, but is easy to adjust. It can get kind of bouncy and has unexpectedly sprung my back end up when I had the dampener turned down. Turn up the dampener to max and it’s almost like a hard tail, great for climbing hills.

Purchased At:   South Bay Bikes

Bike Setup:   Replaced seat, put on clipin pedals & changed the brakes to the AVID mechanical disc brakes (What a difference)

Submitted by Ray a Downhiller from Lander

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2004

Strengths:    Frame is great and strong.

Weaknesses:    I have bottomed out on the forks,Looking to get some JR-Ts
or something with a triple crown.Anyone have any thoughts of me putting on a set of triple crown on a Haro X-1.
Another weakness is the crank I upgraded that not long after I bought it.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is for the price I paid it is a good bike,

Purchased At:   Ho Back Sports

Similar Products Used:   I think the kona coiler,or stinky will give you about the same ride. The Haro is a little lighter than the stinky and
is not bad going up hill, And is just as strong.
I have done 7 foot drops on my Haro X-1 and have all the confidence in it (remember upgrade the forks they suck)

Bike Setup:   Just went up two steps better on crank set.
Am thinking about trile crown forks.
I will let you know when I get them.

Submitted by Phil Avenger a Downhiller from Spokane WA USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Strengths:    Great strong bike that hold up to some abuse (7-8 foot drops) but I probably shound not have done that. It has not broke on its own yet(I do all the damage)

Weaknesses:    I busted some of the threds on the rear shock going off a jump (about 8-9 feet of air and i regret doing that now cause i cant ajust the shock and it is permanently tight.

Bottom Line:
It is a really great bike for an entry level rider, and for the price and it can handle some abuse but I wish i was more carfull. If anyone wants a nice full suspention trailbike I advise you get this bike is you want a good bike that will and almost anything.

Favorite Trail:   beacon hill

Purchased At:   Spoke n' Sport

Similar Products Used:   Giant Warp

Bike Setup:   totaly stock

Submitted by Ray Cantu a Cross Country Rider from Lander, Wy, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    The frame is nice and wide and strong, A little heavy
but good for some down hill(37lbs).I have done some jumps on it about 4 footers and lands great and smooth.

Weaknesses:    I bought the bike on the 1st of july of 2004 and 4 days later the pedal started coming off and stripped the threads
on the crank.

Bottom Line:
For the price it is a great bike, and even having the problem with the pedal or crank set, I would buy it again.
If you are a some down hill, x-country all around dirt jumpper,I really think you need this bike.

Purchased At:   Ho Back Sports

Similar Products Used:   k2,giant warp, kona.

Bike Setup:   So far it is all stock.

Submitted by Stephen a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2004

Strengths:    Great bang for the buck. I waited quite a long time to get into a full-suspension bike and I'm very glad that I did at the right price with the Haro Extreme X1. It has great suspension travel & adjustability, big 26" x 2.135 Maxxis tires, a great frame and is forgiving and easy to ride.

Weaknesses:    Brakes take some time to slow you down. This is a bit unnerving when you're going downhill fast or approaching a turn, but its not the end of the world - Just have to apply the front brake a little sooner and harder than you normally would with vee brakes. I hope changing pads to metallic ones will help, otherwise I'll get aftermarket brakes installed. The front derailuer isn't working the best, but that might need some tweaking and maybe it'll be fine.

Bottom Line:
Excellent entry-level full-suspension bike for someone who needs a step up in technology before tackling those trails that were inaccessible to them because riding them with a hardtail and 1 1/2" front suspension travel wasn't working out.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic - South Mtn.

Purchased At:   Tempe Bicycle

Bike Setup:   Bone stock.

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Mesa, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2004

Strengths:    Great frame. Have bounced this down the mountain and love the bike. You cant beat it for the price.

Weaknesses:    The service reps and the store I bouhgt it from. Tempe Bikes has not been helpfull at all. Having a problem with the drive train, but it is fixable.

Bottom Line:
This is a great value. It is tough and cheap. There are some weak points, but the frame definatly isnt it. Answer 6 forks came on miune, and I think I will need to do something about them. The brakes are great if you adjust them tight. This bike has gotten me home when others would have disinigrated.

Favorite Trail:   Mingus Mtn

Purchased At:   Bad Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Continental survial rear tire, replacing the rims, taco'ed the front. Replacing the springs in the forks.

Submitted by Allan Hodges a Weekend Warrior from Taylorsville, NC

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    Geometry, frame strength, price

Weaknesses:    brakes, bottom bracket, wheel set

Bottom Line:
This bike is a BLAST! It's no Bullit but I've trashed it and so far...its held up. The stock wheelset was junk and the Quad mechanical brakes are a trip...squeeze hard and you will eventually stop. I guess I've gotten used to them.
Hard to beat the value. Great entry level bike.

Favorite Trail:   Riverbend, Dark Mountain NC