GT I Drive Expert 2003 Full Suspension

Submitted by Ed Merkel a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2007

Strengths:    Light,very light on 19" frame(Kinesis superlight)about 5.3lbs. ,Looks,finishings,welds,well cared on any details,Handmade.

Weaknesses:    They don't make it anymore.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to buy a GT team but I found this new old stock on the web W/o rear shock.The first impressions is the light the frame is,and when I finished all the set up in weighed 24lbs.The GT team and this one has the same geometry and this is lighter than Team. I was looking a titanium frame too,but my first concern was about the weight.Yeah!,titanium looks great,exotic and expensive,but it's heavy compared with this one and probably will not last what the Ti,but I create a race machine.(Any grams count)

It climbs like a hungry tiger(14 degress road inclination at 8 MPH) ,no bob,not hesitate on the road and It decends like meteor,very stable at high speed (45 Mph)on rocky and rooty road.This is one of the best Cross coutry bike I have tested and owned.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Ebay.com

Similar Products Used:   Gt's,salsa,giant.

Bike Setup:   Sram XO rear and shifts,xt fron Der and crankset,Dt swiss wheelset(tubeless)Ti skewers,Skareb fork and DT swiss rear shock.

Submitted by Rob Wilson a Weekend Warrior from Lakewood WA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2004

Strengths:    I-drive technology
stock bike weight (26 lbs)
very agile due to frame geometry

Weaknesses:    came with V-brakes in order to minimize weight as it us a XC racer (but in the Pacfic NW, disc brakes are a must)

Bottom Line:
"this bike slices through technical singletrack like butter".
I tested many of the better XC/freeride bikes and found that none of them matched the feel of the I-drive expert. This is a recommended purchase for someone who wants full suspension but doesn't want to give up the lighter weight, pedaling efficiency, or agility usually associated with a hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   skookum flats

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   tested: Kona/King Kickapoo Deluxe, Giant/VT2,
Ironhorse/Hollowpoint Expert, Cannondale/Jeckle 800

Bike Setup:   Deore front derailleur (I upgraded to XT),XT rear derailleur, Rock Shox Duke XC fork, Fox Float Rear shock, LX crank, Ritchey SPD type pedals, Deore V-brakes (I upgraded to Avid mech. discs), Tioga Factory XC SL tires on
Syncros XC rims (I upgraded to Sun rynolite rims because stock rims wouldnt accomodate disc brakes)

2006 GT i-drive 4.0, Giant Anthem 1, or Specialized Stumpjumper Pro/Expert?

OK, this may test your knowledge of the 2006 bikes. I am looking to get into either a Specialized Stumpjumper Pro/Expert, a Giant Trance 1, or a GT i-drive 4.1. Have also considered a Trek EX 9, but already have a Fuel 80 and would like to try another company for a while. Probably looking at 100m ... Read More »