Giant XtC NRS 2 2003 Full Suspension

4.55/5 (74 Reviews)

Submitted by Dallas a Weekend Warrior from Woodstock, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2006

Strengths:    very smooth riding, great gear transitions under power. Rides like a 2 wheel limo. V-brakes work great, who needs discs?

Weaknesses:    Tires were slipping over everything and anything, front derailer could be a little better

Bottom Line:
great bike for uphill or decent. Awesome value.

Watch those chilis burn

Favorite Trail:   The Pines

Purchased At:   Source for Sports

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Stock, save for a headlight and tailight

Submitted by Edgar Bautista a Weekend Warrior from Antioch, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2005

Strengths:    Decent components for the price

Weaknesses:    rear suspension feels like it tightens up under braking

Bottom Line:
This was my first foray into full suspension. I've been impressed at how much difference it makes. The bike is really geared towards xc, and I've been mixing in trail riding. The bike works well in these conditions. I still have some tweaking to do on the suspension, otherwise I really am a convert now. Looking on trading up to a Trance.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp

Purchased At:   classifieds

Bike Setup:   stock xt/lx mix,skareb fork,rock shox shock,maxxis tires

Submitted by David Mew a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2004

Strengths:    Good Stock components for the price, fantastic NRS Suspension, Climbs better than a hardtail, great all round bike for XC trails. The brakes are fantastic.

Weaknesses:    Forks are weak, they cracked after a couple of rides (luckily replaced under warranty). The tyres are terrible for anything other than hardpack. The paint is very thin and chips easily.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the price and is great for nearly all terrain, but I wouldn't take it off any massive drop offs. Fast XC single track is perfect for this bike, it is really fast on hardpack.
The tyres are okay unless its wet or very rocky. Be careful with the forks as they tend to crack easily. Don't lean the frame up against anything metal as the paint comes off really easily. It's not quite as light as the NRS1 but is a much better price and the brakes work just as well.
This bike climbs so much better than a hard-tail as the rear wheel just follows the terrain instead of bouncing around. I went from walking most short technical climbs on my hardtail to climbing them easily, I did not suddenly become a better rider overnight so it must be the bike!

Favorite Trail:   Lane Cove National Park

Purchased At:   Parramatta

Similar Products Used:   Nashiki hardtail, Schwinn rocket 88, Mongoose MX8.1, Giant NRS 1

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Wally Randall a Weekend Warrior from Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2004

Strengths:    weight, travel, componentry, PRICE!, looks, performance

Bottom Line:
The bike that I bought is a 2003 NRS 2 frame and shock with all the other parts of a 2005 NRS 3 (kind of like a 2004 1/2). Long story short, I have a marginally better shock, stem, seatpost, and bar, but no disc brakes. The brakes that came on the bike are Avid Single Digit 3's, which I really like. I've only ever ridden rim brakes, so I don't know any different.

This bike rocks! It climbs almost as well as my old Cannondale and descends 10x better. Its made me more confident on the trails because of its agility and comfort. The only thing that I don't absolutely love about this bike is the Hutchinson Python tires. They don't have as much bite as the IRC Mythoses that I'm used to, but I'm not going to trade them out because the Pythons roll faster making them more appropriate about 90% of the time.

If you are a recreational yet serious XC rider and you want to go from hardtail to full suspension, there is no better bike for you. Buy an NRS.

BURN CHILIS BURN!!

Favorite Trail:   Tally's, Clear Springs, MS

Purchased At:   Capitol City Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   none - first and only other bike was a '97 cannondale M-900

Bike Setup:   bare bones stock

Submitted by Phua Tai Woei a Weekend Warrior from Selangor, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2004

Strengths:    Valur for Money, very Light. NRS system work very on climbing.

Weaknesses:    NRS system does not grip/handle so well on technical trial down hill section where I notice when I hit the rear brake, the rear suspension will lift the bike tail. This make the bike dive forward more.

Bottom Line:
Still feel the NRS Team give best value. If Giant can invest the NRS system c/w a antidive system, I will be the first to try it out.

Favorite Trail:   Kiara, Frim

Purchased At:   KSH K.Lumpur Malaysia

Bike Setup:   NRS 2003 Team. XT Group Set, Sram Hydro brake, Race Face on other fitting. Panaracer 210 Tyre.

Submitted by john bourget a Weekend Warrior from st. clair shores, mi

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2004

Strengths:    Nice price for stock componentry.

Weaknesses:    PLEASE HELP - see below. I'm on my second frame and the bike still feels like I can snap it in two.

Bottom Line:
Purchased bike spring 2003. Performed beautifully all summer until September 2003 - then something happened. The bike became incredibly loose / unstable. Standing on the pedals and cranking the handle bars back and forth - felt like you could snap the bike in two.

The LBS agreed - and got me a new frame. Now the new frame is doing the same thing. LBS and local rep now conclude it's not the frame (how could two frames both be bad?)and they're currently putting on a fox shock - claiming that the SID fork / head-set connection is notoriously weak. The rep has also promised a new 2004 frame - but has stated that it may take several weeks / months due to limited supplies of 2004 frames-only from the far east. Rep claims 2004 frames have shorter swing-arms and are much stronger?

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM OF - the frame / entire bike just loose as hell? Could it be the shock / head-set connection?

I'm really bummed-out - it was a nice bike until last September when something broke - nobody knows what. I'm on my second frame and second fork. LBS has been great - replacing everything free of charge - but I'm looking for any answer for the bike's poor condition. If anyone has any ideas - please email me at jabsports@netzero.com.

RockOn

JAB

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake, MI

Purchased At:   Franser Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Giant hard tails

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Randy Scriber a Cross Country Rider from Banff, Alberta

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Strengths:    Very efficient, climbs like a hardtail. Has enough balls to take the drops with 3.75 in of rear travel, and is a very fast on the downhill. The stock setup for 2003 is very good for the price.

Weaknesses:    The python tires don't grip at all for area trails. They are very fast, but your always thinking you could lose the front at any moment.

Bottom Line:
If you can find a 2003 left over from last year in any bike shop, scoop it up as fast as you can cause it's a buy and a half!

Favorite Trail:   Benchlands

Purchased At:   Rebound

Similar Products Used:   Self built hardtail for five years

Bike Setup:   XT rear and hubs, LX front and shifters, mavic 223 disc rims, avis mechanical breaks, titec seat post and hell bent bars, skareb comp adjustable rebound front fork, SID xc dual air rear shock

Submitted by Alex Wilson a Weekend Warrior from Downingtown, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2004

Strengths:    NRS suspension works great for the technical single track I ride. Absorbs the big bumps, logs and rocks while still climbing like a mountain goat. Not as plush as a freestyle type bike, so if you are into huge jumps and drops, it may not be your bike. But if you are into bombing down hills on technical trails and climbing back up hills, it is ideal. Avid mechanical disks are really great.

Weaknesses:    Manitou fork broke. The "reverse Arch" cracked. Didn't even bother trying to repair under warrenty because it seemed to be weak anyway. Huchinson tires were not good in mud, and I replaced after the first ride.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike. You may want to consider upgrading the fork and tires, but the frame and suspension make it worth the effort.

Submitted by dookie b a Cross Country Rider from riverside ca usa

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2004

Strengths:    frame, suspension

Weaknesses:    hmmm dont know really

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is, i love this bike!
this is in addition to my previous post. i recently added an aftermarket rear linkage made by company in big bear. this increased the rear travel to 4.5 in, and has made a world of difference in the way the bike rides. it has really smoothed out the ride over the small sqaure edged bumps, and with the added travel i can go harder throught the rock gardens, and it still pedals like a dream. so if you wanna improve on a all ready great bike try checking into this link.

Purchased At:   woodcrest bikes

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   03 nrs2, 04 marz mxpro eta 100, xt, avid mechs, mavic 223, sgfs components rear link, panarace trailblaster 2.1

Submitted by Mike Martin a Cross Country Rider from Sandy, UT USA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2004

Strengths:    Price, quality of the stock components, & NRS suspension system.

Weaknesses:    The stock seat, stock chain, and stock tires.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! I am a big guy (240 lbs.) and the NRS suspension performs well with little or no bob while soaking up enough of the rough stuff to bail me out of difficult situations. I broke the chain while warming up for my 1st or 2nd ride so i replaced it with a SRAM one and haven't had problems since. I found the stock saddle to be unconfortable so i switched it out. The stock tires are fine for the front, but isn't a good choice for the rear. I also had some front der. issues, but switched out the stock LX for an XT and haven't had any problems since. So basically an amazing bike for the price. So if you mainly ride cross country then this bike is for you.

Purchased At:   Instant Replay

Similar Products Used:   My first full suspension, but have had Gary Fisher and Giant hardtails previously.

Bike Setup:   Stock with SRAM 9.0 shifters and rear der. Egg Beater pedals, XT front der., SRAM chain, and Trek saddle.

Submitted by BN a Cross Country Rider from Arvada, CO

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2004

Strengths:    Rear suspension performance, dollar value of specs and frame, ride quality both up and down the "hills".

Weaknesses:    Fork (Skareb Comp), tires (personal preference), original Avid brake pads.

Bottom Line:
My first full-suspension purchase and I haven't been disappointed. LBW (Westside) gave me a great deal and their service has been fantastic!

Stock Hutchison tires were too slick and skinny but would be ok for racing on mainly hardpack. The trails I ride are rocky and loose so switching to the Conti's is something I recommend. The Skareb Comp fork was the only disappointment as it is merely a "price point" item. It would take the edge off of hits but nothing else. The bike felt somewhat imbalanced with this fork. After 300 miles I found oil on the stanchion so I knew it was time for another Marzocchi. I went with the MX Pro w/ ETA which has been awesome! Why anyone would buy a Manitou product is beyond me . . .On my S-Works hardtail the Manitou had the internals replaced twice before the stancions finally cracked. I've NEVER had a problem with a Marzocchi (The S-Works has had an X-Fly for the past 3 years with no problems.) Bottom line, swap out the fork if you can. The Zoke balances the bike very well. The increase in stability and steering precision is very noticeable . .not to mention the increase in travel. The extra 3/4 lb of fork is easily lost by a few less cookies throughout the year . .well worth it!

The ride quality is excellent as the rear shock feels quite plush to me. To test the "no pedal feedback" claim by Giant I did a number of sprints (standing and seated) in the street and found that the shock (when set up as recommended)moved only 1-2mm. Yes, it works. Also remains active when climbing.

The Avid Mechanical brakes have been interesting in that there is occasionally a ghost squeal when I am NOT using them. The stock pads wore out at 175 miles but were replaced free of charge (Avid tech support is great). New pads are wearing fine. The fork replacement has solved the front brake squeal, as the Skareb was just too flexy for this bike. I replaced the small wire brake pad holder on the rear and the noise is almost completely gone.

Bottom line: I would recommend this bike to anyone looking for a great value in full suspension bike. The wheels are strong and except for the Manitou Skareb I've had no complaints. The bike is fast, efficient, plush and with a few upgrades as things wear out can be reasonably light.

Purchased At:   Westside Cycles

Similar Products Used:   3 Previous hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for new Marzocchi MX Pro ETA fork, Time pedals, Thomson seatpost, 2.3 Conti Vertical Pro tires, and Koobie saddle.

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2004

Strengths:    Price, components (good bang for the buck I think), Avid Mechanicals have gotten rave reviews (though I have noticed that squealing which kind of comes and goes, and I have had very, very minor adjustment issues) - NO WEIRD FRAME GEOMETRY SO IT'S REALLY EASY TO PUT ONTO MY TRUNK RACK - DIDN'T NEED TO GET A WHOLE NEW ROOF RACK TO TOTE THE BIKE AROUND!!! (After all, I have a Ford Focus sedan). This was a selling point in itself.

Weaknesses:    Did not like the stock tires (never have, but changed out to Panaracer Fire XC Pro's on front and rear - red sidewalls match the bike nicely, and it made a huge difference in the way it handles), the brake noise (i'll get over it for the price), the seat (soon to be replaced w/ the Performance brand Forte Pro SL w/ Ti rails which I like a lot - have it on all my bikes now), the color (not too big on the red), I wish there were more travel in the fork like with the Pilot on the NRS3; the pedals, but i had not intention of keeping those and replaced them w/ a pair of Time Z's; the chain (yep, replaced); needs more/better cable guides; does Chris King make an integrated headset yet? That's a staple in my house... All these are minor issues though.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, great value. Lots of fun to ride, can't lose it in the woods. Climbs great, very responsive - will make you a more confident rider. Lots of little things that might be annoying like break noise, and the cable guides, chain quality, tires, but all that can be changed pretty cheap and you forget about them 10 minutes into your ride anyway. I'd recommend this bike to just about anyone, especially someone on a budget as I was/am.

Favorite Trail:   Schaeffer Farms, MD

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension, so nothing similar really. I still have a pretty nicely decked out 2000 GT Rebound hardtail I use for tooling around, particulary for trail riding and around town w/ slicks. Pretty bulletproof bike as well and i love the geometry.

Bike Setup:   Everything still stock except: tires (now the Panaracer Fire XC Pros, front and rear); seat is soon to be Performance Forte Pro SL; pedals are now the Time Z's, though I like the Crank Bro's Eggbeater Hammers; NiteRider lighting system as I enjoy local night rides as well.

Submitted by BobKreyole a Weekend Warrior from Queens, New York City

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2004

Strengths:    Light, no pedal feedback resulting in a very responsive handling machine. Its not the bikes fault, its the rider.

Weaknesses:    Can't blame it on the bike when other riders drop me. Annoying seat post size.

Bottom Line:
Great cross country bike built for speed. This is a very specific function bike, not an all purpose bike, but can take the rough stuff. Stick to what it was designed for, and you will not be disappointed. This bike climbs like a goat. Was surprised at the absences of pedal feedback.

Favorite Trail:   Long Island Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Peak Mountain Bike Pro Shop, Queens NY

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Sid dual air fork, Easton EC70 bar, Giant carbon stem, Race Face Prodigy cranks set, Avid mechanical disk, TIME ATAC carbon pedals, WTB saddle & wheels, & XTR drivetrain.

Submitted by Glenn a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2003

Strengths:    Efficiency of the NRS is as advertised. Coming off a stiff hardtail, I have only noticed the benefits of full suspension and none of the problems. This is a great bike for someone who wants to ride fast trails and moderate technical sections. It's all around fast but is also very well balanced and tracks beautifully through steep, choppy sections. The Avid mechanicals took a while to dial in, but now, the lever action is so smooth, they modulate well and have fantastic stopping power.

Weaknesses:    That fork. I didn't even bother and swapped it off the bike out of the box. Sadly, I noticed Giant has further downgraded this fork for the new year. The Hutchinson tires that came with the bike were not ideal for the riding conditions around here, but I won't blame Giant for that.

Bottom Line:
This bike has made me a better rider. I bought it because I wanted the downhill benefits of a full suspension bike without sacrificing uphill speed and it hasn't disappointed. I always trailed off the back of my more experienced riding buddieson the downhills, now I'm setting the pace!

This is a also a very functional bike that I can beat on week in and week out and I don't have to spend a lot of time in bike shops messing around with tubeless tires or hydraulic disc brakes or bizarre suspension systems. After an initial break-in period setting up the suspension and brakes, I have hardly touched the thing other than to ride it and hose it down. Dollar-for-dollar, it's a great value. I'm trying to be as objective as I can, so one point off for that Skareb--but a few choice upgrades (my advice? Pay full retail at the shop and make them EARN IT with extra service and steep discounts off upgrades) and it's a straight-up five chilis!

Favorite Trail:   Westridge Singletracks