Giant XtC NRS 1 2003 Full Suspension

4.56/5 (57 Reviews)

Submitted by Sean a Racer from Montreal,Quebec,Canada

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    Every inch of it. Light weight, stiff but not unridable

Weaknesses:    shock bottoms out and needs to be pumped to ridiculous pressure. (I only weigh 150lbs and ride at 200psi)

Bottom Line:
The frame instills confidence and speed without trying or noticing i am on average aproximately 3-5km/h faster on my nrs than on my GT Avalanche from the previous season.

I custom built up the bike but it goes so well that i would pay anyprice to keep making it better. I prfer this NRS to the new ANTHEM model that they offer.

Buy one build it up it's worth it.This bike is for everyone from the beginner to the racer.

Purchased At:   Sports Experts

Similar Products Used:   Always been a hardtail rider

Bike Setup:   2005 NRS,Sid race with lockout,DT SWISS XR1540 wheels,SRAM X.O drivetrain,Selle Italia SLR Carbon seat,carbon bar,Syntace f99 stem,xpedo TI/TI pedals,race face crank,hayes hfx9,easton post and maxxis maxxlite 310 tires. Overall weight 24.5pounds.18.5 inch size.

Submitted by Chris a Racer from Burlington, KY, USA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2006

Strengths:    The Frame is Just awesome. Wheels are strong. Overall good bike. really shined at the 12 hours of DINO.(gonna be 24 in 2006)

Weaknesses:    The sid Fork was the weakess point so i changed it for a Fox Float RLC. another thing i didn't like was the cables and cranks. Changed Cranks for Truvativ Stylo Team, their narrower and easier to hammer away on. Changed Cables for XTR

Bottom Line:
If used this bike in a variety of ways training, endurance racing and regular trail riding. I absolutely love this bike and dont see myself riding any other bike for cross-country purposes. Very solid bike highly recommend bike to anyone (just wont tell anybody trying to keep this advantage to myself).

I did come from a hard tail so the ride to me seems butter smooth but there is no bobbing when climming.

This bike really helpped me this season improving my results at every event dramitically. the bike just gives you so much confidence that you dont notice til you look at your time. If you have any specific questions feel free to e-mail me prosoccer2115@yahoo.com

P.S. No im not selling my bike, well if you say $5,000 ill think about it lol. still couldnt see myself selling it tho

Favorite Trail:   Winona Lake Trail. You Gotta Ride IT

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Epic, Haro, Leader,...

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the cables(xtr), Fork(Fox Float RLC 100), Cranks(Truvativ Stylo Team), Pedals(Speedplay Frogs), Tires(IRC Serac 2.1 Tubeless), Rear Shox(2006 Fox Float RP3 coming :))

Submitted by James Parman a Cross Country Rider from Oshkosh, Wi

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2005

Strengths:    All around great bike, I like how it rides, I like the action of the suspension, I like the fork, I like the tubeless tires, I like the disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    If one were to want to make this bike lighter, I don't know of a single component that would make a huge difference, they all seem kinda medium weighted to me. But very durable.

Bottom Line:
I would buy this bike all over again. I sometimes miss the lightness of my hardtail, but the "extra" traction the dual suspension and the tubeless tires offer make up for the difference. I am 5'7" and have the medium. I sometimes think that I would like the small better (but who knows), or more frame size options. As I've read in other reviews, would have appreciated XT all around instead of the LX shifters/front derailleur.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Fond du Lac Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   A few, hardtails mostly. My friend has a top fuel for 2005, the weight difference makes me jealous.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Kevo a Racer from Portsmouth, Va

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2004

Strengths:    NRS system no bob, SID shock and fork. Hayes Brakes.

Weaknesses:    Titec components: specifically the seatpost, seat bracket snapped, leaving me to ride standing up for a long time to get back to the parking lot.

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome bike, for the price Giant should of included a XT front derailler and scrapped the Titec stuff, I'm a little bitter about the company right now, The bike can climb well, descending for long durations is kinda rough on the bod being all stretched out but it is tolerable. If you like light smooth handing bikes this is a good choice.

Favorite Trail:   York River Park

Purchased At:   PortNorfolk Bike

Similar Products Used:   First Full Suspension

Bike Setup:   Thompson Stem and Seatpost, Race Face 1.5 riser bars, Continental Diesel Pro 2.5 tires, they work trust me, and lots of lube.

Submitted by matt Reagan a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, NE

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2004

Strengths:    This bike is fast, light and forgiving. The component list is great for fast hard pack single track. The suspension takes time to dial in but once you have it setup correctly it work great.

Weaknesses:    Not really weakness just FYI the Hayes brake levers (handles) require adjustment after every other ride. The levers have adjustment screws that unscrew bringing the brake levers closer to the handlebars. Also I have read a few reviews that complain of ghost shifting and this will happen on any setup that is not correctly maintained. The ghost shifting can be fixed by adjusting the rear derailleur. The tires Hutchinson Python are also not the best for loose dirt but they are fast

Bottom Line:
If you want to go fast on XC trails this is the bike. The ghost shifting will happen every year but is easily fixed by you or your LBS. I would recommend upgrading the front fork to a SID world cup that has the carbon crown but other than that the bike is great.

Favorite Trail:   Platte River State Park

Purchased At:   Bike Masters

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 98, Santa Cruz Blur, NRS 2

Bike Setup:   Standard except from front fork has a SID World Cup

Submitted by Paul B. a Weekend Warrior from Apex, NC

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2004

Strengths:    Light and Fast. Soaks up the bumps with ease.

Weaknesses:    None so far......

Bottom Line:
Spec set up right out of the gate at the Bike shop for XC Race mode which was too firm. Needed plush ride so after I re-adjusted my SAG, Positive Pressure/ Negative pressure and Dampening the Bike simply out-performed all my expectations. AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! Be patient and the bike is there to set up to your riding and it will perform more than you can imagine. No Bob when pedaling. Don at Allstar Bike shop in Cary,NC is the best. Thanks Don for putting me into such a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   TSALI, Beaver Dam, New light

Purchased At:   ALLSTAR Bike SHOP, Cary

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC/SE2, Specialized Epic, FSR Stumpjumper, Trek 90

Bike Setup:   NRS1= Rock Shox SID Fork (Cable Lockout)/ Rear shocks, XT drivetrain, Hayes Hydraulic Disc, RaceFace Cranks Hutchenson Tubeless,

Submitted by Gerry P a Cross Country Rider from Mexico

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2004

Strengths:    lightness and super stability, sid rear shox good response and recovery of the whole frame in big bumps

Weaknesses:    top tube needs to be re-designed, because of my weight (210)i've bended it twice, I think someday it will crash or collapse.

Bottom Line:
If you are a xc rider I seriously advice to buy it, maybe in S or M sizes, but if you weight above 200 pounds or want the 20.5 in frame maybe you should think in some other frame design

Submitted by Purdiddy a Downhiller from CT

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2004

Strengths:    Efficient, affordable, readily available. Race geometry

Weaknesses:    Efficiency comes at the expense of small to mid sized bump compliance. Top tube is similar in strength to a beer can.

Bottom Line:
Due to replacement and warranty issues I've had the pleasure of owning three years worth of XTC frames. They have improved over the years, but I wouldn't recommend as a daily trail rider. A very race oriented bike, extremely light frame, but not very durable. I put the brake lever through my first frame, replaced for $1000. My own fault. My second failed at the shock mounts, the welds started to crack. To be fair at 200lbs this probably wasn't the best choice of frames for me, I could feel the flex beneath me and it never felt like 3.75 inches. At this point I bailed and bought a Foes FXC. The giant was a great climber, but the suspension was always a bit harsh and too stiff to track well on the downhills. If you race I could easily suggest this bike, if you want a daily trail bike and a Giant, look at the VT. Bottom line: A great race bike for the smaller guy who rarely takes a digger.

Favorite Trail:   empty ones

Similar Products Used:   Foes FXC, Intense Spider

Bike Setup:   Medium, '02 Psylo Race,full xtr, monkey lite, Spinergy Xyclones, Avid disc.

Submitted by A C a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2004

Strengths:    The NRS system really works. No bob at all. The fastest bike I ever rode.

Weaknesses:    The Rider.

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2003 NRS frame from ebay, and built the bike from the ground up. This is the best bike I ever rode. I sure as hell made me a faster rider. The NRS system works great. The only problem now is that the rider needs to work more on his techincal skills.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic

Similar Products Used:   Kona King Kikapu, Trek Fuel

Bike Setup:   Thompson Stem and Seat post, Easton monkeylite riser bar, Mavic Crossmax rims, Avid Juicy's,xo shifters and rear derailer, xt front der. WTB laser saddle, Manitou Elite Air, Cane Creek AD12.

Submitted by Ben Dejo a Cross Country Rider from El Paso, TX

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2004

Strengths:    The no bounce rear suspension is all they promised and so much better then I expected. Plenty of travel on the big front shock, and nice tight frame.

Weaknesses:    I've read the complaints about chain suck and my very first ride showed it to be an issue. I'm planning on shortening the chain to see if that helps. I also noticed some chain skip when on the big chain ring and smallest 2 gears of the casette. Here again may he related to chain legnth

Bottom Line:
First impressions are everything and this bike exceeded all my expectations. There is absolutely no sag when you get on the bike, so the full legnth of the rear is available to suck up bumps. One thing that really impressed me was that while there was no bobbing on tough climbs, the rear suspension was still soaking up the bumps like a champ...much better then a locked out rear suspension.

Great bike at a decent price

Favorite Trail:   Red Road

Purchased At:   Crazy Cat Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Stock - For now

Submitted by Ben Tisdall a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2004

Strengths:    Great all-round performance, bob-free climbing, only slightly heavier than the GT Zaskar hardtail it replaces. I'm now completely sold on full-bounce and am convinced it's faster on virtually any course (for climbing and descending). Also a big fan of the Hutchinson Python tyres it ships with, which are good on virtually everything apart from thick mud. Also very easy to get off the rims and to repair.
Tubeless tyres - excellent feel, goodbye to pinch flats (I weigh about 180lbs), and I've finished a race with two large thorns straight through the tyre.

Weaknesses:    Grub screws on Hayes brakes continue to work loose despite applying loctite etc. High time Hayes fixed this as it's been a problem for several years from what I've heard. Generally not that impressed with Hayes brakes which I will probably replace with Hopes. Original bottom bracket only lasted two months which is very poor.

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended. And the 2004 model is going to be even lighter.

Favorite Trail:   Pishill route

Purchased At:   Beyond MTB

Similar Products Used:   Marin Mountvision

Bike Setup:   Completely stock except that I've added bar-ends. My friend made the mistake of getting an NRS2 and has upgraded almost everything.

Submitted by Patto a Cross Country Rider from Hong Kong SAR

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2003

Strengths:    very light weight on a full sus. bike, climbs very well and sharp at corner. No bobbing at all, thx to NRS degign and rockshox's fork and shock.

Weaknesses:    as many people mentioned b4, paint easily scratch off by the hosing. take times to get the best suspension setup. overall is great then!

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for one year and raced for a couple of times. I found that it's still in good condition if you give him a good service, and it still very stiff and tough now. I can't see any big problem til now, the only problem i sjust I found that the Rcae face crnakset not stiff enough, a bit flexy and creaky, I changed it to XTR M960, the problem solved. What to say then, if you are looking for a reasonable price no bobbing light weight and quick responsive full suspension bike for daily trainning, use or even race, NRS 1 is definitely the choice for you!

Purchased At:   Giant dealer

Similar Products Used:   Fuel 90, Scalpel 1000, 2001 NRS1

Bike Setup:   orignal setup, except XTR front der. and crankset

Submitted by Matthew a Cross Country Rider from Liberty, MO

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2003

Strengths:    Responsiveness. No bob. Faster than I'll ever be. Great component mix. Compares well with similar and even more expensive bikes.

Weaknesses:    Hayes brakes had a leak in front caliper, kept me from picking bike up from shop for a week. LBS couldn't fix it, had to shipped to Hayes.

Bottom Line:
Just got the bike and rode it over a trail I have frequently ridden (on a Giant XTC SE2 hardtail from 1999). This bike is fast and I had great confidence over terrain I usually struggle over. I rode longer than usual and didn't feel so banged up. Didn't notice any bobbing when I was out of the saddle climbing and the Hayes brakes worked well. Quite a bit lighter than my 4 year old hardtail, and very reponsive. Could really carve between the tress and down switchbacks with speed and confidence. Great bike so far. Suspect anyone who rides frequently and considers local races with full suspension would do well with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Smithville Lake

Purchased At:   Bike Stop

Similar Products Used:   Test rode the Epic, Gary Fisher Sugar and Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   20.5 in frame with tubeless tires, Mavic rims, XT up front and in back and XT hubs. Hayes hydraulic brakes.

Submitted by Cameron a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2003

Strengths:    responsive, light. the bike carves corners, really stays connected to trail. good balance, easy to stay centred on bike. didn't think i'd use it so much but the fork lock out is a godsend on hills. excellent climber. rear suspension seems invisible.

Weaknesses:    I don't hold back, but I still worry about durability. Ride North Shore Vancouver and avoid monster trails, but pure cross country is hard to find. I've taken a gouge out of the top tube. Otherwise though, its held up. (I'm only 145lb). So its not a weakness in the bike, its designed as XC, and its done well for me, but its a very specific bike. front derailleur is a bit of an annoyance.

Bottom Line:
Know what you're going to ride. I'm pushing my bike, but its holding up.

I feel the money was worth it.

when i first got on the bike i was very comfortable. if you test and you are, you will continue to be.

I'm very pleased.

Purchased At:   $3000 cdn

Similar Products Used:   last bike was fully rigid 1992 Rocky Mountain Equipe. so nothing. the lockout and no bob made switching a pleasure.

Bike Setup:   stock excepting egg beaters.

Submitted by Renzo a Cross Country Rider from Belluno,Italy

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2003

Strengths:    No bobbing, reactive, rear suspension gives great traction,don`t have to think about activating/disactivating lockout for rear suspension,absorbs everything when it needs too. Great for my back!!

Weaknesses:    Needs time to set shocks up properly, admittedly this is the 1st time I`ve had shocks on a bike. Tyres could do with better grip.

Bottom Line:
Really enjoy riding this bike. Seems an excellent compromise between a full sus. and hardtail.Great going up,great coming down. I too had a few problems with ghost shifting a my first rides but with a little tweaking to the cable tensors at the shifters the problem has disappeared. I like it so much I`m looking for an NRS 2 for my wife!!

Price Paid:    $1900.00