Gary Fisher Sugar 2+ 2003 Full Suspension

4.61/5 (23 Reviews)
MSRP : $2089.99

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Brooklin

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2011

Strengths:    Took a few rides to dial in - I can now climb almost as good as my hard tail and blast down hills over anything.

Weaknesses:    Its a little finicky down shifting (i think the chain is 1 few links too short). On the flat tight single track its no where a nimble as my hard tail.

Bottom Line:
I'm 6ft, 195lbs - 19,5 inch frame. This is my 1st suspension bike. After riding hard tail and fork for year, I got to tell you its a relief on many a body part. Though not a nimble or a light as my previous bike, it still climbs (I now know what a lock out is for) and blasts down hills that I was always careful on. If I'm going 8k, I will get there faster on my hard tail, If I'm going 16k, I will get there faster on the sugar 2+ and still have a little left over for the Girl friend.

Favorite Trail:   Durham Forrest

Purchased At:   PinkBike.com

Bike Setup:   XT shifters and disk brakes. XTR derailers. Rocj shocj SID team and Cloud Nine rear shock

Submitted by graham a Cross Country Rider from Massanuttten

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2010

Strengths:    Handles the fast straights well,stable at speed,ok in turns

Weaknesses:    CHAIN SUCK,Broke to frames and the rear stays,Cane Creek Shock leaks even after rebuild,Chain Suck,and creaky frame,bontrager r wheel hub broke!

Bottom Line:
Great idea as far as geometry,just sh_t parts and bad rear geo ,that causes chain suck!4SALE

Favorite Trail:   ITS A SECRECT!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   shop

Similar Products Used:   Lots,Specialized,litespeed,klein,trek,cannandaloe,own salsa now,diamond back,Mt. Tam GF,etc....

Bike Setup:   marrzocci fork,cane creek shock,hayes h. brakes,bontrager wheels

Submitted by Jon a Racer from Steamboat Springs Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2008

Strengths:    I love the xtr rear derailer. The Fox fork and rear shock work great. I have had no problems climbing hills and doing drops of a couple feet.

Weaknesses:    None that I know of

Bottom Line:
I have rode this bike for over 800 miles. I have had no problems yet. I race in the local towm challenges with no problems. I like to take this bike over the technical sections because it can handle them with ease. My buddy baught a specialized Pitch and has had a few problems with it. This is just a great bike !!!

Favorite Trail:   MRP

Purchased At:   Garage Sale (Lucky M

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Pitch, Rockey Mountain Slayer, Specialized XC

Bike Setup:   Stock except for oury grips and shimano SPD pedals

Submitted by Will Jameson a Weekend Warrior from Fairfield, CT

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, pretty paint job. Genesis geometry

Weaknesses:    Chain suck chain suck chain suck.... I have been riding for over 10 years and never had any issue with chian suck until I bought this frame. Something is wrong with the chain-line set up.

Bottom Line:
Responsive light and fast, climbs like a goat and descends well - it goes where you point it. The geometry, although weird at first is cool once you get into the groove. This frame is a delight when the chain stays on the chain rings BUT it just will not stay there. The chain suck - well... sucks! My chain came off 3-5 times a session and broke maybe 1 in 3 rides.
Bottom line - I had to sell it because of the chain suck. The frame was never correctly engineered which causes the constant chain suck; consequently the ride is so unreliable it should have never gone on sale. Disappointing because other than that Ms Lincoln – its a great frame…

Favorite Trail:   Trout Brook

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FRS XC

Bike Setup:   Full XT set up with Rhino lite rims.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Lake Almanor, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2005

Strengths:    Geometry, Frame design i.e. low top tube, Light enough, Fox shocks front and rear, after 2 years of riding and a lot of miles I can say its still a rock solid bike.

Weaknesses:    No major - just nit picking, tubeless tires are hard to remove from rim of the wheel, the break lever and the shifters are one unit, so you cannot replace the break lever w/o replacing the whole unit.

Bottom Line:
This is an update; I have had the bike for about 2 years now. Still love the bike; never have the desire to sell it because I am so happy with. I don’t really take good care of it as in washing it or anything else, but still never any problems. Like I said rock solid, and very athletic bike.

Favorite Trail:   Auburn and Tahoe

Purchased At:   Sharp Bikes Lafette CA

Similar Products Used:   GT Karakoram, Specialized Stumpjumper fsr

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Easton carbon fiber monkey light handle bar.

Submitted by h2 a Weekend Warrior from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2005

Strengths:    tough as nails, smooth ride, bike is capable of way more than i am, fork & rear shock are dreamy

Weaknesses:    some stock components are not worthy of the rest of this bike (see bottom line below), no rear lockout

Bottom Line:
bike is amazing. got mine at unbelievable price, thanks to store going out of business. may even be worth paying full MSRP price, though. will do anything i ask it. everytime i ride, i'm in awe of how smooth, stable, tough it is and what it can handle. bike actually makes me a better rider. now i just need to learn to ride hard enough to really use it's full potential.

as noted in the weaknesses, my only comments of value may be to upgrade some of the stock items. i noticed creaking and had some trouble with chain suck and shifting under torque. after doing some research (on MTBR.com - God bless you), found that upgrading the crankset, chain and cassette solved this. these OEM components did not seem on par with rest of bike, especially the chain (Shimano HG72). also installed Crank Bros Mallet pedals (my first clipless pedals and i can't say enough about them). and uprgraded the saddle to a WTB Laser V (fits me better, OEM Titec saddle had odd shape and felt very stiff).

i may look to upgrade the original Bontrager Race wheels, but that's more because of research i've done and not because i've noticed any particular problems with the stock setup.

i also would have liked to see a rear lockout on the dreamy Fox Float R rear shock, but this stopped being a concern once i learned to climb on a full suspension bike.

bottom line: if you're considering buying this bike, do it. don't even hesitate.

Favorite Trail:   any southern UT singeltrack

Purchased At:   LBS in CO

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, Kona Bear, Cannondale full susp., Trek hardtail

Bike Setup:   stock except WTB saddle, SRAM cassette and chain, Truvativ crankset, Crank Bros (Eggbeaters) Mallet pedals

Submitted by eric hadzima a Cross Country Rider from rockville md

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2004

Strengths:    frame/suspention the fox TALAS is awsome it feels like a coil but is lighter and more adjustable . The 32mm sanctions give you confedence to ride through anything. the wheels are also TUBELESS bontrage race . GENISIS GEOMETRY sets you perfectly on the bike , and allows you to go on over or down anything

Weaknesses:    does nt come with tubeless tires

Bottom Line:
perfect for varing conditions,agressive x-country, and 24 hour races . dont buy it if you want to enter dowhill races or need disc brakes

Favorite Trail:   patapsco

Purchased At:   revolution cycles

Similar Products Used:   fisher CAKE, sugar 3+ , countless hardtails enduro

Bike Setup:   michilen tubeless 2.3 rear and wtb mutano raptor race 2.4 front, race face system stem, old school flite Ti

Submitted by Kris Buckles a Cross Country Rider from Carmel, Indiana, USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2004

Strengths:    Comfortable, Nimble and down right fun to ride

Weaknesses:    It's so adjustable it's difficult picking the ride

Bottom Line:
This bike is simply incredible, comfortable and adjustable. The adjustability has made every ride a blast with a huge range of riding variability. Not to mention that the bike is faster than I am.

Favorite Trail:   Nebo Ridge

Purchased At:   Bike Line Carmel

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Pro Cal, and Giant Iguana

Bike Setup:   XTR/Bontrager Race, Michelin XLS tubeless

Submitted by A Cabral a Cross Country Rider from Benicia, CA, Solano

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2004

Strengths:    The Framset is so light, All XT or better componets great. Fox Float R is god send. Great grips and wheel set.

Weaknesses:    Still figuring out damping callibration for my riding pleasure as do not see big differnce when I make changes. Saddle Titec Ithys is a little small for my big butt and pretty stiff.

Bottom Line:
Even though it is my first real mountain bike. I have had many great rides already and the bikes set up is something that an average rider can diffently grow into as they gain experience. All my serious mountian bike friends are amazed at the bike set up for the price I paid

Favorite Trail:   Sky Line

Purchased At:   Sharpe's Bikes Lafayette CA

Similar Products Used:   None, first bike

Bike Setup:   Platinum Series ZR9000 double-butted aluminum Frame, sybil*link swingarm | 6061 T6 aluminum stays Fork Fox TALAS R | 80–125mm travel, Rear shock Fox Float R, Headset Alloy Direct Connect 11/8in Semi-Cartridge

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Lake Almanor, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2004

Strengths:    Geometry makes me feel very connected to the bike, Climbs great, Fox Shocks are outstanding (and forgiving) No noticeable pedal bob even on climbs, and my riding rapidly improved once I got this bike.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager components are just ok, not to say I have had any big problems, occasionally it will throw the chain when shifting to the big sprocket. The "tubeless" wheels are a pain when removing the tires.

Bottom Line:
Well because of my first full suspension bike I thought I hated Full suspension bikes, but the sugar 2+ changed all that. The sugar wins the spot in my hart as my favorite bike ever. I am truly amazed at how much my riding has improved because of this bike. I actually feel like I control the bike opposed to the bike controlling me. Hands down the best bike I have ridden and my riding friend with the same bike says the same. The geometry is fantastic; large is perfect for this 6'2" Guy.

Favorite Trail:   Forest hill loop divide, Auburn CA

Purchased At:   Sharp Bikes Lafette CA

Similar Products Used:   GT Karakoram, Specialized Stumpjumper fsr

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Easton carbon fiber monkey light handle bar.

Submitted by Nathaniel Dixon a Cross Country Rider from Foster, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Strengths:    Great bike, all around. Light enough for XC, but with the FF Talas fork, has amazing stick and handling. Well balanced and comfortable. Takes a beating and doesn't complain. Makes me look like a better rider than I am.

Weaknesses:    Some trouble with drivetrain (jamming, gear jumping), possibly because of a sloppy earlier repair. Now fixed.

Bottom Line:
Got this bike used when my beloved Pro-Flex was stolen. It's been everything I hoped it would be. The added wheels and tires make the bike not only light and forgiving, but also make it look wonderfully mean. It's no hardtail, but climbs as well as any full suspension rig I've ridden. I bought it for a great price, well under half the new retail value, with some nice upgrades. I haven't had the bike long though. Only time will tell how dependable it is, but I'd recommend it to anyone who digs full suspension

Favorite Trail:   it's a secret

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Pro-Flex 857 Expert series (4 years)

Bike Setup:   Stock with Rolf Satellite Wheels and Panaracer Fire XC tires. Bont RE-1 pedals. People have compl

Submitted by Joshua a Racer from Waltham, MA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2004

Strengths:    Light, fast, great rear shock that doesn't sap power

Weaknesses:    Fat seat that's impossible to get behind. Leaves get caught between frame and rear tire. Fork is not tunable

Bottom Line:
Important Note: I'm reviewing the GS model here because there was no separate place for me to do so. That said, I really like the bike. I'm male, but because I'm 5 foot 7 (and apparently have a girl's geometry) I fit better on the medium sized GS Sugar than I did on any hardtail I was looking at. So far I've been really pleased. I've slowly been releasing air from the rear shock each ride and find I can run it super plush and still accelerate quickly. The fork is light. The bike comes with an xtr rear derailleur which is flashy nice... The bike is fast and comfortable (Genesis Geometry?). My only complaints - the "seat stay" part of the frame has an arch that passes half an inch
over the rear tire. If you ride in leafy areas, get used to a really loud buzz. Also, the Manitou Mars fork, although light, isn't very tunable - it feels almost the same to me from 130psi to 180psi. I fear running it any higher to make it more stiff in the upper range (which I
don't think it would ever do because the spring handles the first 50 percent of travel) would blow a gasket. Other than that, and the too slick tires for loose packed dirt, great bike. This bike is great for lighter cross country riders and racers looking for a full suspension rig. Four Flamin' Chilis only because the Five must be reserved for
perfection.

Purchased At:   Frank's Spoke and Wheel

Similar Products Used:   Only hardtails: Trek 7000 and Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   Stock except for new thinner saddle

Submitted by Yosi Helmann a Cross Country Rider from Rehovot,Israel

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2004

Strengths:    Wonderfull Fox Talas front shox, good Fox rear shock, light weight, xtr rear drailour, Genesis frame, colour.

Weaknesses:    Price, catastrophic seat (changed to a normal WTB V Speed), crank (changed to XT with no chain-suck problems)

Bottom Line:
I liked this bike from the first sight, so i paid the amount of money and took it. I never disappointed - it climbs very well with good balance and downhill very stable. I feel good on this bike and i'm 1.90 m'. I did'nt like the primitive seat arrived with the bike and i changed it for V Speed. I also like the better mad space behind, comparison to my earlier Sugar 2 2000.
The front fork (Fox Talas) is amazing and very soft, the rear shock is also good without any bobing.
Good Cross-country bike with a nice appearance - heavy price!

Purchased At:   Mike-Bike - Israel

Similar Products Used:   sugar 2 2000

Submitted by David Burke a Cross Country Rider from Towson

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2003

Strengths:    Great Components, Great Fork, Great Rear Shock, Lightweight, catches great air, fast, smooth.

Weaknesses:    Seat uncomfortable and Crank is known to have problems. Do not know why but the rear wheel is not true and the bike is pretty new. Bontrager isn't the brand I would suggest for wheels.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been all that I have needed and wanted. The price is well worth it. It surprises me that this bike is so hooked up for the money. The Fox Forx and Rear Shock are awesome. This bike does not limit me but my fear does at times. If you are looking for a bike in this price range do two things. Read other reviews. Then write the check.

Purchased At:   EBay