Foes FXR Frame 2003 Full Suspension

4.68/5 (50 Reviews)

New for 2003 and designed around the Curnutt XTD technology, the FXR is the first bicycle frame ever produced to utilize a 'position sensitive' damper in a cross-country application. Perfect for 'epic rides', rough terrain XC, or for those who need a bit more suspension in their trail riding adventures, but don't need the weight or brute strength of a freeride style frame. Travel is adjustable from 5 to 5.75 inches. Also available with Fox 'RL' coil spring/lockout shock.

Submitted by fxr gal a Racer from NYC

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2010

Strengths:    ..maniable,handble.....especially for experience riders who know how to swirve around,..again,best of the best frames ever made!!

Weaknesses:    ..absolutely none..

Bottom Line:
..simply the very best...bottom line..ask any HD mechanic ..

Favorite Trail:   too many!

Similar Products Used:   ..none

Bike Setup:   fxr low rider..(evo engine)

Submitted by Andy Duong a Weekend Warrior from Anaheim, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2005

Strengths:    Attention to detail, nice welds, awesome curnutt rear shock-minimal pedal bob, long plush travel, strong/stiff frame. Most important, the chics dig it!

Weaknesses:    Rear tire clearance which was fixed the year after I bought my bike! sucks! Minor cable rub. Nothing that I should cry about because "it ain't no big deal".

Bottom Line:
Well thought out bike, designed with form and function in mind. I found out that putting on a lighter TI spring weight and increasing the air preload (80-90 PSI) makes the rear super plush yet still able to climb without bob-(best of both worlds) Handles great around the corners with awesome climbing ability. It descends with great control giving you the confidence of going a bit faster each time. The Magic of this bike is the Curnutt XTD rear shock, best freaken shock ever made! My bike weighs in at 32.8 lbs, little bit on the heavier side but still climbs great - don't really notice the weight too much because I am always trying to keep up to John and Luke! (speed goats) I will catch up to you guys someday! If you're looking for a bike that does everything then ride all the other bikes first and then go buy a Foes FXR.

P.S I'm not jealous of the 06 FXR - still like my 03

Favorite Trail:   Aliso Woods

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Azonic Sabre, Yeti 575, Turner 5 Spot, Intense Uzzi SLX Specalized Enduro.

Bike Setup:   03 Marzocchi Z1 FR, Curnutt TI, Mavic 717 - High roller 2.35 tubeless, Thomson x4 stem, Raceface carbon Next, SDG I-beam SL. Sram XO rear & X9 shifters, Hollowtech 2 cranks and a cool bright yellow sticker on the downtube*

Submitted by Chuck D from Oaktown-CA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2005

Strengths:    Plush, great handling, great climber, looks frickin great.

Weaknesses:    They could do a better job of routing the front derr cable housing.
Could be a little lighter, but that would probably sacrifice some rigidity

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks! I have ridden it up Mount Diablo (4k' climb), Downieville (16 mile DH) and everything in between. I don't need any other bike - this thing does is all.

If you ok with a 30 - 33 lb bike. And want one that can handle just about anything, this bike should be considered.

It's not a racer, unless you do Downieville-type races, but it is a great all-rounder.
I don't think Foes customer service is a factor, I doubt I'll ever have to leverage the warranty (unlike my GT's and Giants)

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Purchased At:   Pro-deal

Similar Products Used:   Giant AC1, GT Idrive, Kestrel Rubicon

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi All Mountain 1, Chris King wheels, WTB Weirwolves, CK headset, Alpha Q carbon bars, Sram 9.0-8 speed, bunch of cool expensive stuff

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2004

Strengths:    Best rear shock available, rigidity, build quality, handling

Weaknesses:    I can only afford one so anytime it is in the shop I have to use a much inferior bike--still enjoy the ride, but keep thinking "if I only had the Foes".

Bottom Line:
After my Titus Switchblade was stolen, I wanted another one, but the LBS didn't have one in stock and the next one wasn't due for a few weeks. The manager talked me into buying the Foes with the caveat that if after two weeks I didn't like it, I could return it and he would turn it into a demo and get me a Titus. A short way into the first climb on my first ride I realized I was running three gears higher than I had on the Titus and had zero bob. Every pedal stroke was pushing me forward. Knew then it wasn't going back. Unfortunately on the first long downhill I got going a bit too fast--the shocks were soaking up everything and I got over confident--and I missed a turn and broke a couple of ribs. Once I was able to ride again a couple of weeks later, I have had a blast ever since. I am going faster both up hill and down. None of my friends can keep up with me anymore on the technical downhills. The bike is simply amazing and every ride is a joy. Highly recommended for anybody looking for a do just about anything bike--climbs great, descends better, makes me a better rider. I thought I loved the Switchblade, but it was merely infatuation; the Foes is true love. BTW, I was at first hesitant about getting the XTR integrated brake/STI levers, but it took me about five minutes to get used to them and there is no going back.

Favorite Trail:   Tunero Canyon, East Mountains Albuquerque

Purchased At:   Fat Tire

Similar Products Used:   Titus, Ellsworth

Bike Setup:   Full XTR with discs, Crossmax wheels, Conti Gravity tires, FSA oversize carbon bar; Fox Talas fork

Submitted by El Macho Mancillas a Weekend Warrior from Okinawa, JP

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2004

Strengths:    Impecable welds, anvil solid, awesome suspension(curnutt titanium). MADE IN THE USA.

Weaknesses:    Tire clearance in muddy conditions(height not width} running 2.2 kenda kinetics tubeless.

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame during the great Foes frame giveaway at Jenson's. When I rcvd the frame I was amazed at the build quality and the attn to detail of the frame, also it was lighter than the Santa Cruz Heckler frame I had previouly owned, Made In Tawain s@cks( there was no comparison between the two, the fxr just blew the heckler out the water in build quality). Riding this machine is just a blast, including going uphill, but the down hill is where this machine makes it's mark, it completely annihialates the trails! This is THE ALL MTN BIKE! When you completely, absolutely must conquer everything or anything in your path, ride no other than Foes. I like it that much. During the evolution of posting this review I drank a 12 pack of Orion, so I must saey "I LAouVE THIS BaiKE! The servsce does sock, but I guess the well paid pipole @ Foes are the welders/frame builders.

Favorite Trail:   Spider Loop, La Louge

Purchased At:   Jenson's

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler

Bike Setup:   Foes FXR ano gry w/ crntt ti sping, Vnlla 125 rlc, Tho st post & stem, xm819&chrs king hubs, Hys mag 8" rtr

Submitted by Christopher Gaunya a Cross Country Rider from Wallingford, CT

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Strengths:    See my previous post

Bottom Line:
I just put a Curnutt Ti on the bike and it is a completely different bike. This Shock is AWSOME!!!! It feels like a hardtail until I hit a bump and then the shock sucks up everything. The stable platform on the Curnutt is so easy to adjust. It even handles out of the saddle efforts much better than the Romic. With the Romic D, I only had compression and rebound settings and the compression knob was problematic at best. After 30 hours or so of riding it would lose its nitrogen charge and start spewing oil. I bought the Curnutt at Richards bikes and they gave me a great deal. (100$ off). Once I get the Romic back it will play back up to the much superior Curnutt.

If you are getting a Foes get the Curnutt with it. Don't waste your time or money with any other shock!

Favorite Trail:   Pudgy's Loop Lennox MA

Purchased At:   $2500

Bike Setup:   See previous post

Submitted by Christopher Gaunya a Cross Country Rider from Wallingford CT

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2004

Strengths:    Durable, well designed and ultra stiff frame. Amazing handling, does everything well. It is a continual joy to ride this bike.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see. Maybe wheel clearance on the 2003. I am now running Kenda Kinetic Stick-E's 2.35's with Stans No Tubes and have not really had a problem. I ride in mud quite a bit and surprisingly have not had a lick of trouble with mud jamming up the wheel. I still resent the cost of the derailluer hangers. The MSRP on the foes website says 11.99 and every bike shop that has them is charging a minimum of 20 bucks ( then add on the shipping!) I went thru 2 last season. Foes needs to sell them directly to the public!!!!

Bottom Line:
Love this bike! After the first full season the bloom is still not off the rose. Best money I ever spent. Switching to the Kenda's and the Stans No tubes improved an already great handling rig. In New England mud and wet roots and rocks are standard fare and the stick-E kendas improved the already amazing climbing ability of this bike.

I have to agree that Foes needs to work on the the customer service but that is a minor quibble so far. I would recommend this bike to anyone looking for a do it all ride.

Favorite Trail:   Pudgies Loop in Lenox MA

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper FSR

Bike Setup:   Fox Vanilla RL 125. Romic Double D, All XT, Mavic 317's Thomson Stem and post. Avid mechanicals. Upgrading to the Curnutt this season and am eager to compare with the Romic.

Submitted by James Howery a Downhiller from Prescott, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff. Stiff. And Stiff. Short-manuverable geometry, while keeping a fairly slack head angle and low bottom bracket height for stability.

Weaknesses:    2003 only fits about 2.2" tires. Curnut shocks are expensive :D

Bottom Line:
The guy below is pretty out of line. It is not a "design flaw" that it was designed for 2.2-2.3 tires in 2003, that is simply the way it was designed. I have this bike, and I like it a lot. $500 for a new rear triangle is not outrageous, it is a pretty normal amount. It's a matter of making a pretty "short" bike, (take a look at the asymetrical stays and the way the pivot clears the BB area) with 6" of travel and a swing link. They improved it for 04.

I've really been enjoying this bike. We did 4300vert shuttles (each run) last weekend, and it took it very well. Tracked very well, and I was only held up by the downhillers in front of me that couldn't make the switchbacks and such. I've gotten some good miles on it already, and I am pretty happy. It's also nice to be able to lock out both ends of the bike for the occasional road or whatever.

I put pretty trail/XC oriented parts on it, and it's about 28.5lbs when I have it set up with the XCish tires and legeaters.

Favorite Trail:   6-shooter and others

Purchased At:   richards

Similar Products Used:   Yeti AS-X (has a swing link and solid rear end like this), various 6" travel trail/light freeride bikes.

Bike Setup:   Shiver SC. XT cranks, derailer, bb. 9.0 front derailer. Mavic F519 rims on XT rear hub, marzocchi 20mm front. Thomson post, ritchey stem, azonic CF-1 bar, different tires depending on condition, hayes mags, legeater pedals.

Submitted by Josh a Downhiller from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2004

Strengths:    This is a follow-up review. First review was posted about two weeks after final build-up in late September when the bike was new.

I agree with most people here that the swing-link is incredible. Amazing stiffness, tracking, and plush suspension. Tough frame, awesome quality.

Weaknesses:    Rear tire clearance is a huge issue for me. Note that it's not the width - my 2.25 IRC Trailbears, which were recommended by Foes for this bike, clear width-wise just fine. But vertically, there is virtually zero clearance--the tire is too tall for the frame! This just doesn't make sense to me.

Last fall I was riding a gravelly DH at Deer Valley and a baseball sized rock was kicked up and dented the frame near the BB--I was surprised at the damage but not sure any other frame would have held up to that hard of a freak rock hit. Seems to be holding together...praying for no cracks there in the frame down the road.

Bottom Line:
See above comment about weight--I was shocked! I'd been sure since riding this bike that it had to be max 31 lbs...because it climbed like a 28-lb or so bike should. Unbelievable. Anyway I don't notice the weight at all and this thing climbs so well I can't even believe it weighs that much. I've gotta credit the ETA lock-down on my Z1 FR fork too though...that thing rocks.

When I transitioned from my slack-angled freeride bike to the FXR I felt like the Foes was too XC-oriented for my tastes. I was wrong. I've now got it really dialed in and feel totally comfortable blitzing the DH's about as hard as I ever did on my old Big Hit.

This is an incredible bike and by far my favorite frame I've ever ridden.

Which is why I'm so upset with Foes. In all honesty I know I don't *really* need to run a bigger tire than 2.2 or so. BUT, my 2.2, while it rolls, jams up instantly with the tiniest bit of mud, constantly pings little pebbles off the frame that it picks up from the trail, and even rubbed a bit when the tire was new. This is unacceptable. So, I asked Foes what I could do about getting an '04 rear triangle. Now I know again that tone is very hard to convey in an email, but every communication I've had with them has been curt, if not outright rude.

They continue to subject their customers to a price of $500 for a new rear triangle. Plus, you have to ship the bike to them, pay for shipping yourself, AND pay for a $60 installation fee. THEN pay for return shipping. THIS is the kind of treatment I get for purchasing a nearly $2000 premium mountain bike frame??? Not to mention this is to fix a design problem.

So I find myself in a bind--I certainly won't dish out over $600 for a new triangle. I LOVE riding this bike but I HATE supporting a company that treats its customers in this way. I'm tempted to sell it and go with a Ventana or Titus, both of whom make excellent bikes and have sterling customer service reputations.

Anyway it's something to consider before you drop 2 grand on a frame from Foes.
2 chilis for service and value, 4 overall because this is just a sick frame.

Purchased At:   beyondbikes

Similar Products Used:   Blur, Big Hit, Dawg, Heckler, Enduro

Bike Setup:   See review below. Just weighed my bike and it came in at 34 lbs.

Submitted by Michael Klein a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2004

Strengths:    Well constructed w/ excellent trail handling geometry, excellent finishes, superb pedal-bob damping from Curnutt.

Weaknesses:    Restricted rear tire clearance only on a 2003 model tire size only up to a 3.0. It was adjusted in 2004.

Bottom Line:
I’ve purchased y FXR during November and rode this bike all winter to the present. I experienced all types of trail conditions, along with some rode riding. I rode the forest single tracks near my home, through snow and ice on studded tires. When the snow became to deep to navigate the single tracks, I headed to the multi-use trail, and rode with snowmobiles on a frozen canal and the tow path, which runs parallel to each other. Traveling was usually slow when riding on the snow & ice, the bike sometimes bogged to a near stall. However, even during these events I was amazed with the FXR handling, along with power the transfer to the rear wheeled credited to the Curnutt. With a will to pump the pedals, I’m almost always able to pedal out of a near stall situation.

Recent, the single tracks surfaces had dried to near ideal racing conditions. My last two rides were on the single tracks where the FXR is at home. Again, I was amazed wit how near to perfection the FXR handled all riding situations that can be accounted at the single tracks.

Downhill the FXR kicks ass! I found myself traveling at speeds that never achieved with my other bikes. I noticed I was braking later and had less of tendency to brake, thanks to the FXR’s ability to hold a line and banks turns predictably, even when steering on rough surfaces.

Ascending is the FXR’s greatest strength. The slacker steering geometry allows climbing at a crawl without steering wobble. The FXR steers uphill, straight where it’s pointed, with great balance and control, as the Curnutt shock sucks up the bumps and allows delivery of leg power to the rear wheel without pedal-bob
The FXR is constructed with reinforced gussets at the head tube, beefy aircraft bearings in the rear end pivot, along with an additional swing link to add lateral strength to the rear end. These features enable the FXR to handle all of the other trail demands such as log ramps, rock gardens and maybe allow for some light freeride, but the FXR still remains agile, nimble and power transmission to the rear wheel is excellent. I haven’t had any experiences with mentioning with deficiencies, like brake jacking or ghost shifting recognized on other bikes with single pivot rear designs.

I recommended the FXR to any degree of serious rider that is in search of a great, do-all long travel mountain bike which is up to the challenges of trail biking, but pedal efficiency and weight still allows for an occasional cross country trek. I also recommended to spend a little more money for the Curnutt shocks and a good 125mm or longer fork. This chasse was designed for these items and will not perform as well with any less. I gave a four chilles rating to the 2003 frame because of the rear wheel clearance. I’ve seen the 2004 FXR and the clearance correction is well engineered. I give five flaming chiles for the 2004 FXR.

I purchased my FXR, all components and accessories at RichardsBicycles.com. The folks at Richards also assembled my FXR for me. I’ve been shopping at Richards with great satisfaction for nearly two years now. They’ve provided me with good prices, but more important, they provide a high level of expertise for customer service. I’m always treated with friendless, courteousness, and respectfulness and a conviction to please the customer attitudes from all of the staff at Richards.

Favorite Trail:   Palos Forest Preserves

Purchased At:   RICHARDSBICYCLES.COM

Similar Products Used:   1998 Schwinn Mesa GSX and 2001 Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 3.

Bike Setup:   White powder coat finish, Curnutt XTD rear shock w/ 500lb ti spring, Fox Talas RLC fork, Easton: EC70 seat post with Monkey Lite XC handle bar connected to Easton’s MG. 60 stem, SRAM X.0 grip shifters and rear derailer, Shimano: 2003 XTR crank set w/ bottom bracket, front derailleur and cassettes, Hayes HFX Mag Plus disc brakes w/ Goodridge line set, Crank Bros. Candy SL pedals, WTB Rocket Pro Gel Seat, Avid Sealed Cables, Wheel sets: Bontrager Race Disc, Mavic X3.1 disc w/ Hugi 240 hubs, Mavic EX823 disc/ w/ Hadley Downhill hubs setup with 9mm thru axles, and 2004 Mavic CrossMax SL.

Submitted by patrick smith a Weekend Warrior from canada

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2004

Strengths:    strong frame yet fairly light, excellent welds, looks cool. curnuttshock is excellent.

Weaknesses:    will only fit some 2.3 tires on the back .paint but that may be my fault as i had a frontfender that was rubbing the cables onto the head tube now i have a bare spot there.

Bottom Line:
after a long hiatus from riding i figured i needed to get back in shape.[ mountain bikes certainly have changed in ten plus years]. after a buying and selling {and giving away] 5 bikes in the last year. i`m finally happy with my foes. this bike easily out climbs my giant nrs with the awesome curnutt shock. smooths out the roughest trails. as im new [again] to riding icould have done alot worse on a mailorderbike and probally not much better. in canada this bike retails for about 1200 more than i paid.{still not cheap though} do yourself a favour and get one.

Favorite Trail:   all over the shore

Purchased At:   jensons usa

Similar Products Used:   rocky mountain , norco, giant nrs

Bike Setup:   all xt thompson avid psylo sl mavic 317 [standard xt kit from jensons plus a psylo sl.]

Submitted by fred dread a Cross Country Rider from blah

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, flex free, very little bob, geometry

Weaknesses:    curnutt damping adjustment difficult, front derailleur routing, bottle mount, weight.

Bottom Line:
First of all , this frame does NOT weigh 6.7 lbs as stated by foes,with shock, it's around 7.9 lb. With the above kit this gives a trail bike that weighs around 30lbs, which is about right.WHy the discrepancy?? Ask Foes.
Fortunately this bike is fantastic. It climbs really really well, with no perceptible bob, and works great on technical rocky climbs. You can climb out of the saddle no problem. If you want to see the rear bob, you can set the SPV pressure really low, and mash the pedals standing up, then it will bob.
Set up normally ,climbing is like a hardtail, no joke, but the suspension is still very compliant over rocks , roots or whatever.I'm climbing better on this bike than on my Loco ,thanks to the extra traction.
The geometry with a 5 inch fork is spot on for a trail bike, quick enough for cornering, but not too steep or nervous for dropping into chutes and for technical downhill sections.
The curnutt shock is very large, around 10 inch eye to eye and the link pivot area and associated bearings make the rear very stiff, so the rear should stay slop free.The extra hole mentioned in the post below is for the shorter romic or fox shock, which you'd not want on this frame anyway.
If you can only have one bike this would be a fine choice.
I'm toying with the idea of putting an avid rollamjig on the front derailleur brazeon, to get rid of the housing loop.
Well done foes.Mine is a 2003 frame so little rear tire clearance, hence 4 chillis.

Similar Products Used:   loco moto

Bike Setup:   fxr with ti curnutt, fox talas rlc, hope /x3.1 wheels,irc tubeless, xt 9 spd triggers /derailleurs with xtr crank, thomson bar/stem, hope mono 4 discs.

Submitted by Chris Lopes a Weekend Warrior from South Kingston, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2003

Strengths:    Everything! It's amazing how well this bike climbs and descends! The Curnutt shock that is made by Foes is so beefy/heavy duty and has controls that are easy to use! No other rear shock on any competitor's bike compares to this one! Compare for yourself and you'll see the difference!

Weaknesses:    The rear derailer hanger is made out of butter. I ride some pretty rough terrain and keep wrecking the hanger to the point it's ridiculous. Otherwise no other complaints. In order to get 110% out of this bike I can't help but mention that it would be nice if there were forks using Curnutt technology with 5.75 inches of travel. Of course more tire clearance in the rear would have also been nice but isn't a major issue since I'm running a 3.3 in the rear.

Bottom Line:
I waited 6 months in order to write this review because I didn't want to jump the gun... Well, I'm still every bit as satisfied as I was when the bike arrived. Everything they say in the magazine reviews about this bike is true! For me it's the perfect geometry along with the heavy duty Curnutt custom made by Foes that makes this bike as great as it is.

I weight 210lbs so I wanted to make sure I found a heavy duty bike that was still light and performed well. Initially the Ellsworth Id was my first choice but, after test riding one and hearing about how frequently people crack their frames I chose to wait and try the FXR. Whew, am I happy I compared the two! I mean it's a night and day difference... I also tried the Santa Cruz Heckler which just didn't feel as sturdy when I rode it (but was still better than the Id), not to mention it's no where near as good looking as the FXR. The San Andreas (with 5th element) was also very worthy competitor but, was just too heavy for me.

After 6 months the suspension works great and I haven't had any problems with the frame. The people over at Foes have given me outstanding customer service the few times I had to contact them with questions or to exchange my coil spring.

The people at Jenson tried their best to give me good customer service but, unfortunately it ended up being a hassel dealing with them since they seemed to have limited knowledge of the bike and components that match it. Although, after extensive price shopping, no one else was able to match their price or even give me a competitive price for this bike with all the components I wanted (trust me I checked ALL the others). So Jenson get's an A+ for salesmanship and a C for product knowledge.

If you get this bike (which I highly recommend) I don't recommend the Race Face cranks due to clearance issues. Also, be sure to get a few derailer hangers to keep with you because they have a tendency to twist into abstract art forms. Although this bike cost's a lot, after you ride it you'll know why!

Favorite Trail:   Acadia-Breakheart

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Ellsworth ID, & Mountain Cycle San Andreas.

Bike Setup:   Fox Talas RLC, Avid Mech. disc's, Mavic Crossmax UST,Race Face prodigy cranks & Diablous stem, Thompson post, Selle Itallia Flite Ti Seat, Shimano XT for everything else...

Submitted by Kirk a Weekend Warrior from Portland

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2003

Strengths:    It's a FOES! Handling, Climbing, DESCENDING!

Weaknesses:    None. Zero.

Bottom Line:
This is my first bike review on MTBR, and it will be my last, because I'm never getting rid of this bike! My FXR is freekin AWESOME. I rode my 3" travel FXC for a season but there's not enough travel for hard trail riding. I'm no Huckster, but I love to go as fast and as hard as possible. And thanks to my FXR, I'm going faster than ever, expecially over the rough stuff. 5" of travel makes all the difference, especially on my FXR that had virtually no lateral flex. As for climbing, even though it's a couple pounds heavier than my FXC, it's WAY easier becuase of that sweet Curnutt shock that doesn't move at all while climbing, but somehow still compressed when I hit a root or something. I don't understand how it can work so good. I rode a Heckler with a 5th element air shock and it wasn't nearly as sweet. Another reason it climbs better than my FXC is the bottom bracket being higher. I don't hit my pedals on the ground anymore while climbing over roots and rocks.
Bottom line is I can't believe every serious rider doesn't own this bike. I'm probably the only FXR owner in Portland and that's crazy! Not that I mind, just don't ask me to wait for you at the bottom.

Favorite Trail:   Any South Shore trail - TAHOE