Diamondback SL Super 2003 Full Suspension

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, WA, usa

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight. Quick Handleing

Weaknesses:    Loose, Gets spongie

Bottom Line:
Light bike, a little spongie. n steep down hills it get ssft and hard to handle. fun on the flat single track and very fast on fast terrane. very much liked it but too soft

Favorite Trail:   The South Hill Bluffs

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn, Cannondale

Bike Setup:   XT. Roch sox, Bontrager wheels

Submitted by steve a Cross Country Rider from central, florida, US of A

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Strengths:    Simplicity of suspension design and execution of build. This frame is truely a work of art for Diamondback bicycles...i am very impressed. The suspension spec of a Fox float rl shock is superb, and the feel of the suspension is inspiring.This bike made me a better rider with my first ride on it. A strong bike...able to support me and my 220# frame without a whimper. Size large is perfect for anyone 5'11" , nice long top tube...lot's of room.

Weaknesses:    I've been riding it for about a month and a half, and have not found any as of yet.

Bottom Line:
Very pleased and consistantly suprised by the quality and suspension of this bike, the ability to dial in the suspension from race ready firm to very compliant and supple is great. The beauty of the craftmanship of the bike itself, from the welds to the nice unobtrusive color scheme.
But most of all....the simplicity of the way it works and does so with no complaint whatsoever....thru roots, rocks, and mud. I would recommend this great bike to anyone who can find one...since they are very rare, if you happen to come across one...buy it! You won't be let down.

Favorite Trail:   santos

Similar Products Used:   santacruz superlight, this bike is as good ...or dare i say it..?...better.....especially for the saved cash.

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox psylo XC, Gripshift Attack, Avid disc's, XT Disc/rhyno lite rims,Lx hollowtech crank.

Submitted by Troy a Racer from SLC

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    Killer Component structure for the money! Full XTR! Elevated chainstays (no chainslap)

Weaknesses:    Not available in XL. Some slight defects in the paint. (Not really a problem if you intend to ride hard and scratch it up anyways)

Bottom Line:
I currently have about 400 miles, 3 XC races and one 24 hour race (24 hours of Temecula) logged on this bike. I am 6'3" and would have probably gone with an XL if it was available at time of purchase, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. (I actually paid substantially less than the $3199 list price) The Large frame measures 20" from crank to seat tube, so that puts it near the top of most manufactures Larges, so I went with it. I had to replace the seat post with a 410 mm Thomson because I was about 1/4 inch past the "max extension" line on the stock 350 mm Easton. It took me a while to get the bike dialed in geometrically, but now that I have it dialed… I wouldn’t trade it for an XL even if I had the chance. This thing is lightening fast and climbs like a goat. The Sid race fork is light and functions like an XC race shock should. It’s not the plushest shock in the world, but it’s not designed to be. The 2003 XTR stuff absolutely ROCKS! The disc brakes have great stopping power and unparalleled modulation but do require a bit of occasional tinkering, to keep them running drag free. That might bother some people, but I like tinkering nearly as much as I like riding, so for me, it’s a non-issue. My bike, with eggbeaters pedals weighs in at just a tick over 26 lbs. Future plans include a new 2003 XTR disc wheelset. The stock Equation wheelset is stiff and smooth as butter, but a bit portly at around 2000 grams. The XTR wheelset should knock off nearly a pound.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Stock bike comes full XTR including XTR disc brakes. The only changes I have made is that I swaped out the EA50 seatpost for a Thomson Elite and replaced the EA50 stem with a +10 degree one. Added eggbeaters and a computer.

Submitted by Rick B a Racer from La Grande Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2003

Strengths:    Good spec,

Weaknesses:    heavy wheelset

Bottom Line:
I left a reveiw before, but I since have spent seven days in Moab and rode 195 miles in six days, did slickrock, hurrah pass/jacobs ladder/amasa back, behind the rocks/pritchett canyon, flat pass, poison spider mesa/portal trail. I had trouble with the shifting in the rear, due to cable grime and had to shorten about 3 inches of cable and housing, also the Alex rear wheel freehub started to make clanking noises but I made it back to camp and have since traded them out for Crossmax SL's. The bottom line is "Sweet bike" not the lightest dual suspension XC ride but is able to handle any thing Moab could dish out, I paid less than $2,100.00 (pro deal) and could sell the frame and still come out ahead.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSRxc

Bike Setup:   Same as spec'd but added King Headset, Rocket V Stealth, Crossmax SL Disc, Look eggbeaters, ODI lockon grips

Submitted by Rick B a Cross Country Rider from La Grande, Or.

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2003

Strengths:    Spec'd with Top of the line Shimano components, 12.9 bottom bracket height, Easton Carbon bar, stem, post. elevated chainstay, (no chain slap)

Weaknesses:    the carbon bar had to be warrantied, heavy Disc wheelset made by Alex (2100 grams)

Bottom Line:
I love it so far, will test it in Moab for a week in March then I'll know more, purchased it expecting under 25lbs, it weighed 26.9, have a Crossmax SL Disc set ordered, Changed to Chris King Headset, Stans No-tubes, IRC Mytho's, have a CODA 130mm stem and ea70 bar on it now and it weighs in at 26.13. I have about 50 miles on it so far, rode it in 3inches of snow and mud and muck and the disc brakes are excellent, the XTR chain rings never missed a beat, the new shift pods are taking some getting use to, it climbed good even in the snow, the rear suspension seems to drive the rear wheel down for better traction, The SID Race is nice still need to dial it in, the whole package is good but I have plans to lighten it up, and ride the hell out of it, I'll leave another review after the Moab trip by then I'll have everything changed and dial in. I got a pro deal on the bike paid $2,200.00 the XTR group just about retails for that.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim