Diamondback Coil 2003 Full Suspension

3.91/5 (23 Reviews)

Submitted by THORKROMM a Cross Country Rider from PHILADELPHIA, PA

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2009

Strengths:    GREAT SUSPENSION, DECENT COMPONENTS

Weaknesses:    SEAT STEM IS TOO SHORT.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line, I have ridden this bike for over 5 years riding serious trails all over PA and NJ and the bike has performed incredibly well....I have replaced the chain 2 times, and have replaced both rims (due to accidents)...

This bike is a great buy for the money eventhough I bought one of the first ones for sale about 5 years ago.
After 5 years and over 2000 miles the bike still looks/ performs amazing.

Favorite Trail:   PENNYPACK PARK

Purchased At:   DICKS SPORTING GOODS

Similar Products Used:   GT MOUNTAIN BIKE, TREK MOUNTAIN BIKES

Bike Setup:   STOCK- MODIFIED SEAT STEM.

Submitted by kenscannon a Weekend Warrior from farmington,ohio,us

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2009

Strengths:    Good tires,strong frame

Weaknesses:    Front and rear deralleurs will not stay alined,rear shock and fork are weak.heavy on climbing

Bottom Line:
wouldn't waste my money with this bike unless your not planning to ride real trails, good for riding around town.

Favorite Trail:   west branch state park

Purchased At:   dickssportinggoods

Similar Products Used:   NEXT mountain bike from walmart,Cannondale Rize 5 just bought

Bike Setup:   All stock

Submitted by Linette Crall a Weekend Warrior from Dallas Texas

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap for full suspension mountain bike; good starter bike for the trails.

Weaknesses:    wheels out of wack after first ride

Bottom Line:
Sons first FS MtBike:
"went off 4" drop many times/ no problem; bike rides good so far; changing seat post and bar to carbon fiber; changed pedals to Shimano DX; and next a new set of lite rims and better tires + Chris King headset. Front tube went flat on first 8 hour ride. Don't like seat. Fun ride. I think the bike rides great, but I race BMX, so maybe sometimes its the riders vs. the bike not handling so well. I am 15 years old."

Purchased At:   Dick's

Similar Products Used:   BMX: redline

Bike Setup:   stock coil

Submitted by scott lindsey a Cross Country Rider from lichfield staffs uk

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2008

Strengths:    nice looker good riding position

Weaknesses:    sloppy front forks, gear ratio to high

Bottom Line:
I liked the look of this bike so brought it. I found it initially hard riding due to the absence of a front fork poplock and high gear ratio. The brakes constantly sang at me when out riding (even after trying to adjust them) i also found the bars to narrow and grips poor. HOWEVER with some serious mods to the bike (wider bars, new rear cassette, marzocchi bomber forks, shimano xt brakes and a xfusion rear shock) what a bike it handles any thing i throw at it from normal xcountry to more severe downhill with ease a brilliant entry level bike for the beginner but wouldnt advise it for more experianced riders as youlljust spend more on upgrades a brilliant frame though

Favorite Trail:   cannock chase forest

Purchased At:   sanderscycles.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   k2 proflex beast

Submitted by kyle edwards a Cross Country Rider from Bel Air, Maryland U.S.

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2005

Strengths:    comfortable and easy shifting. shocks work well. dirt cheap for a great bike. look are awesome. nice brakes.

Weaknesses:    front suspension is a little weak. no disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
overall this bike is great. it is a great deal for a beginner. im gonna take it for a spin downhill 2day so wish me luck!!

Favorite Trail:   Susquehana and Gunpowder

Purchased At:   Dick,s

Similar Products Used:   diamond back full suspension.

Bike Setup:   stock w/ computer

Submitted by Peter Vasta a Weekend Warrior from mass

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2005

Strengths:    First off its a diamondback,light for a mountain bike, full suspensoin, rapid fire shifting, great brakes and ajustable suspension

Weaknesses:    the rims are very very week, mine bent with just a little tap from another rider. the axles are also very week, i severely bent and cracked it just by doing what you shoud do with a "hardy" bike. the tires are also kind of crappy, i got 2 flats just by riding over a twigs.

Bottom Line:
Its a good bike for all terain biking, but u shouldnt go down any drops larger that 1 foot or the weels bend and axles break

Favorite Trail:   mountain

Purchased At:   central cycles

Similar Products Used:   I supose any full suspension diamondback bike

Bike Setup:   confusing as hel and im a gear head

Submitted by Austin Connell a Downhiller from Portland Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2005

Strengths:    Its a great bike, it looks awsome and is totally worth the money to buy it. the back shock is changable and has a very smooth ride as i go down the hill, its also very light compared to other bikes

Weaknesses:    the brakes arn't great, especially just after it rained and the stock front fork is all that great either becasuse it isn't very big but besides that theres nothing wrong with it.

Bottom Line:
this bike is worth the money i paid for it, but its not the best bike in the world, its a great bike for not just downhill but also street riding becasue of the shock adjustment.

Favorite Trail:   Washington Park trail

Purchased At:   ??

Similar Products Used:   GT backwoods

Bike Setup:   plush rear suspension, standard pull brakes

Submitted by Sergio Acosta a Downhiller from San Rafael

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2004

Strengths:    The bike has a nice solid frame, looks knarly, good brakes, and has good rebound.

Weaknesses:    The cranks are weak, rims tweak fast and bend off nice size jumps, bad shocks bottom out easy on front.

Bottom Line:
The bike is great for price, handles well, takes a beating, great over all bike sturdy but get new shocks, rims, grips.

Favorite Trail:   Down hills, Cut backs, jumps

Purchased At:   Valencia cyclery

Bike Setup:   All stock except pedals and rims and gear system.

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from Tampa Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
I wrote a report Tuesday on my brand new Diamondback Coil, in it I said lots of good stuff about it, I'm not going to take any of it back. The only downsides I have found so far are that the gears have a too low raito for most riding and the rims are weak. I rode it for about 5 hours with no jumps over 4" but lots of slideing. When I finished the wheels were so messed up I couldn'n hardly ride, but my friends at Carrolwood Bike Emporium fixed my up for a great price. So if you plan on doing a lot of jumping, look at stronger rims or another bike.
I'm not saying it's not a good bike, it is. Just don't exspect it to hold up on your 6' cliffs in CO, that said, if you live in a flat area and don't have to slide, get this bike!

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from Tampa FL, USA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2004

Strengths:    Strong brakes, nice seat, lightweight, good looks, fair price, almost everything!

Weaknesses:    The only thing I don't like is that the grips, while offering great grip, aren't very comfortable. Other than that nothing.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the rider like me not really just a weekend rider but an after shcool, before school, any time rider who rarly to never rides extreame terrain. The suspension really soakes up moderate bumps and smoothes out larger ones. It also weaighs alot less than eather of my other bikes.
Coming off my Dad's rigid frame touring bike the Coil felt like a full size truck compared to a Honda S2000! But for a mountain bike it corners really well with great stopping power. While I'm not a biking affeciando this is easly the best mountain bike I have ever ridden.
I highly recemond this bike to someone who wants a nice fs bike for a great price. Relibility remains to be seen.
P.S. This bike pops great wheellies!!!

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Similar Products Used:   Full suspension Mongoose kids bike and a POS Roadmaster fs mountan bike.

Bike Setup:   All I've added so far is a seat bag, water bottle cage, and a nashbar mirror(nice!).

Submitted by ryan a Weekend Warrior from long beach, cali

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2004

Strengths:    good frontend suspension. solid build. quick gear shift response.

Weaknesses:    backend suspension questionable. a lot of bobbing going uphill. a tad bit ont he heavy side

Bottom Line:
perfect bike for the novice and beginner mountain biker. for technical climbs and decents, bike is questionable due to "bobbing" and its questionable breaking system.

Favorite Trail:   fullerton loop

Purchased At:   bikecology

Similar Products Used:   raleigh ram 1.0, 2.0. walmart and kmart bikes.

Bike Setup:   full suspension

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Vineland, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2004

Strengths:    Price
Durability
Design

Weaknesses:    None for my needs

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for every day riding on the the road after work and the 1 or 2 times a month I hit up the trails. The suspension took some pretty good beatings and held up great. Never had any proplems with the bike except 1 time the chain popped off when I was downshifting to 1st while putting everything I had into the pedal. I also love the price because I bought a left over 2003 when the 2004 came out and saved $100 for the same bike with better graphics. Buy the 2003 if you can.

Purchased At:   dicks

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by will a Racer from charlotte nc

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2004

Strengths:    price
reliabuilty
upgradable

Weaknesses:    very weak axles
weak rims
plastick pedals

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike for the price,i thought this bike was going to be a pos, but i was wrong,this bike ok stock ,but with some upgrades this bikes great.when you first get this bike you need to make several slight agustments such as the brakes.this bike is a great value.

Purchased At:   dick

Bike Setup:   100mm triple crown forks
downhill handlebars
bombshell rear axle
kore chain tensioner

Submitted by joe nacari a Cross Country Rider from santa barbara, california

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2003

Strengths:    Lots of beefy welds on frame, good rebound on rear and good front fork. Great value, too for a bike with alot of XC features and nice parts.

Weaknesses:    No real adjustment on rear shock, bike is a bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
Rides plush for me 190lbs, and pedals easy uphill.
Real gnarly frame looks like it can handle just about any
kind of XC riding. Not a lightweight bike, but that's
OK for my weight. I will save up and buy a Marzocchi fork
for more travel. The new 04's color is ugly, get the 03.