Dean USA Duke X-Lite XTR 2003 Full Suspension

Submitted by Shawn a Weekend Warrior from Austin, Tx

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Strengths:    super-light, strong, perfect for central texas conditions, geometry rocks, nice welds

Bottom Line:
I was amazed when I pulled the frame out of the box - 3.5 lbs. for a softtail frame! Wow. I had upgraded everything on my Trek Al hardtail, and wanted a little more rear-wheel plush for the severly rocky trails around central Texas. And I got it. However, I was most surprised with the improved geometry over my Trek hardtail - this thing turns and corners amazingly well - I already thought I was riding on rails, and no other bikes that I test rode gave me that same feeling like the Duke xl does. It climbs very well, and sprinting with the front fork locked out is amazing. I test rode all kinds of bikes, and never fully believed in full suspension for the type of terrain and riding that I do. I weigh 150 lbs., and the softtail is just enough to keep the rear wheel down on the ground. Maybe as I get older I will crave a softer ride, but for now, I am extremely pleased with this bike and the softtail setup.

Using the same wheels/tires as on my last bike, the improvment in cornering is amazing - I keep pushing it harder and harder to try to find the limits of the Duke. It just whips around the trees and corners - it is so tossable. This was one of the main reasons I did not like the Litespeed Unicoi - the geometry did not fit me well. I talked to someone at a bike shop that carried Litespeed, and he informed me that Litespeed had changed their geometry a couple of years ago, and many people did not like the new design. The mtbr.com reviews seem to reflect this, also.

The climbs are great because I can get more traction and stay in the seat, forcing the rear shock to do the suspension work instead of my butt. The fast, rocky downhills are great, too, because the rear end stays planted and soaks up the bumps which used to jolt me and my old hardtail around like a ping-pong ball in a blender. I was a little concerned about how the welds would look, based on older frames and pictures that I have seen, but the workmanship on my bike was outstanding - Dean really needs to update their website to reflect the great improvements they have made in their manufacturing process. It's a great feeling to be able to call and speak to someone that knows who you are and what's going on, or even get to talk to John, the owner. During my first ride, my rear wheel sucked up a 1" diameter stick and broke the derailleur hanger. I called Dean and asked for a replacement. Well, 2 days later, a couple of them showed up on my doorstep. In this day and age, service like that is a godsend. You just don't find it anymore.

Basically, I did a lot of research and decided on this bike. It works perfectly for what I need. If it got stolen, I would order a replacement the very same day without hesitation. I know it is expensive, but considering the performance you get, and compared to similar designs out there, it is a relative bargain.

Purchased At:   deanbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   test-rode or demo-ed every hardtail, softtail and FS I could get my hands on.

Bike Setup:   2003 Duke xlite, SID team, cane creek WAM team issue wheels, XTR drivetrain except XT cranks, avid ti brakes, easton ec70 cf handlebar, 150 lb. engine

Submitted by Scott a Racer from Coldwater, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2003

Strengths:    It is super Light, smooth, and stiff in a good way for a pivitless rear.

Weaknesses:    Getting the BB in was a pain in the butt.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the strongest and the lightest out there. I would tell anyone to get this bike/frame. It with out a debt the highest quility you can get. And the company itself always backs themself up, what more can you ask for?

Purchased At:   Dean Direct

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed, The litespeed was nice. But an out house is fine until you have had indoor pluming.

Bike Setup:   SINGLE SPEED!!!!!!!!!