Cannondale Jekyll 2003 Full Suspension

4.62/5 (141 Reviews)

Submitted by Joel Bateman a Cross Country Rider from Manteo, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2010

Strengths:    Solid frame that can take just about anything you can dish out. Laterally stiff and responsive. The Jekyll gives you the versatility to just about anywhere.

Weaknesses:    None so far!!

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike in Colorado, West Virginia, Virginia, and all over North Carolina. I am a 200+ lb rider and this bike has never let me down. It climbs like a dream and descends even better. Cannondale....The best bikes built....EVER!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Bicycle Post Trails(Greenville NC)

Purchased At:   Bicycle Post

Similar Products Used:   Nothing can compare.

Bike Setup:   2004 Jekyll 600. XT derailers,XT hubs, Mavic 117 disc rims, Avid BB7 disc brakes, Truvativ Fire cranks, Manitou Black Elite forks,Hutchinson scorpion tires, Cannondale stem,bars.

Submitted by T.Spence a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    Very stiff front end, plenty of travel. Robust frame (!), easy-to-ride-all-day geometry

Weaknesses:    creaking bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
The Jekyll offers plenty of travel for the not-so-serious rider who enjoys a little comfort over absolute performance. For myself, I hadn't ridden regularly in a few years, and at that it was on a SID-equipped Trek SLR hardtail.

Surprisingly, the Jekyll has proven so far to be resilient, standing up to the punishment of my 240lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Dufferin Bluffs

Purchased At:   locally, used

Bike Setup:   XTR fr/rr derailleurs, SI crank w/ 29/42 rings, XT cassette, SRAM Rocket Shifters, Avid Juicy Seven hydro discs, SI fr/rr hubs, Easton Monkeylite Carbon low rise bar, Time ATAC pedals

Submitted by Uzzi a Cross Country Rider from Kailua Kona, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2009

Strengths:    This is a great frame. I’ve ridden it everywhere, in all conditions and haven’t run in to much it can’t handle nicely. With its dual lock-out it can whiz up long ascents and really fly downhill; with its 5"/6" travel suspension. I got the frame as a warranty for my cracked 00' Raven, which supplied most the parts for the build,

Weaknesses:    I have few complains about the frame, other than a squeak in the rear emanating from the BB or maybe the swing arm. The weight is a little much but with decent components, that gets knocked down a little. I’ve raced it a couple times but, wouldn’t recommend it if you plan on winning due to the weight. When I built up the bike minus my Helix rear shock and XTR BB wouldn’t fit the frame’s oddball swing arm and had to use the supplied fox shock and new BB.

Bottom Line:
I’m a big fan of CD, if only for their no questions asked warranty. All of the frames ive had have been great for quality and workmanship. After cracking my carbon fiber Raven I decided on this one because it could take a beating. It’s a perfect bike for the rough stuff, and long rides. This is the kind of bike for a serious XC rider who races rarely and rides in rough terrain a lot, this is definitely the perfect bike for you.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   BL and HP Bikeworks

Similar Products Used:   2000 Cannondale Raven, and a few hardtail CD's

Bike Setup:   00' Lefty fork, with the lock out and dampener knobs.
Magura Luise brake system
XTR drive train
Easton carbon seat post and alum. monkeybar.

Submitted by Brandon Doza a Cross Country Rider from Breckenridge, CO

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    I've had this bike for 2 years now, and I still love it. Trail bikes now have 6 inches of travel, but I still rip past them on my 3.5 inch jekyll. Love the Lefty. Light quick and responsive.

Weaknesses:    None really. I might have to have the rear shock and the lefty serviced, but after 2 years of pretty hard riding thats to be expected.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks. Couldn't ask for anything more. I had some qualms when I first got it about componentry. I've taken care of all that though. Got rid of the mechanical disc brakes and upgraded to Hayes hydraulic. New saddle, riser bar, new tires, grips, full XT (stock setup was weak), egg beaters. Just changed all the cables, chain, cassette, new rotors and pads. It's ready for anything.

Favorite Trail:   Peaks Trail

Purchased At:   River Front Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 900, GT ricochet, many others

Bike Setup:   add-ons

Submitted by Mickey a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2007

Strengths:    Rides over everything; climbs great; super used-bike bargain.

Weaknesses:    factory Manitou Black fork

Bottom Line:
The Jekyll is a great all-mountain ride. Switched out the Manitou for a Fox immediately and had the factory Fox Float L customed tuned to my riding style/weight by Push Industries. These two upgrades created the best riding mountain bike I've ever had.

This thing soaks up whatever you through at it. I'm not dropping off 10-footers or riding high in the Vancouver trees, but for the rocky, rooty trails of Massachusetts and New Hampshire, this bike is perfect. Just the right amount of travel for comfortable all-mountain riding. If you're a downhill xtreme rider--don't buy it. If you are a low weight cross-country junkie--don't buy it. But, if you are like most of us and ride a variety of trails and need a bike that does almost everthing great--BUY THIS BIKE!

Favorite Trail:   Harold Parker

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Slayer, Cannondale Prophet, Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   Double crank w/ bashguard, SRAM X-7 derailleurs & triggers, Avid mechanical disc brakes, Panaracer Cinder 2.25 tires, Fox Float L Rear shock, custom tuned by Push Industries, Fox Vanilla R suspension fork

Submitted by Aaron Heirtzler a Weekend Warrior from Durango, CO USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2007

Strengths:    Nice frame, plush suspension, adjustable geomotry, Cannondale

Weaknesses:    components

Bottom Line:
I picked this bike up "barely used" from a guy heading home to Europe. Very glad I did. This bike is great. I used to ride a Cannondale hard tail and always thought that Cannondale built a quality product. It is a little heavier than my '02 Element, but I am getting more travel so I'll take the few extra pounds. It climbs nice and I haven't noticed any bob. On the way down, the bike is plush and just a joy to ride. The components on the 500 are not great, but it allows me to upgrade the bike how I want. So far the Avid mechanical disc brakes and Fox fork have made a huge difference already. Bottom line, very fun bike to ride and I will be riding this frame for quite some time.

Favorite Trail:   Horse Gulch/Test Track

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Element

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Avid Mechanicals and a Fox Vanilla 130mm Fork

Submitted by Pete Manning a Cross Country Rider from Indiana

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2006

Strengths:    Absolutely the finest frame design in strength and function.

Weaknesses:    I can't even critisize it!

Bottom Line:
After cycling nearly 10,000 miles since I purchased this bicycle, I believe it has spoken for itself! I came into the purchase only because I previously owned a Cannondale and was very pleased with it. It had been stolen from me before I could really determine its true potential. This is a light weight, very strong bicycle that if well maintained should last many years. I believe it will be back.

Favorite Trail:   Monon

Purchased At:   Cash America Pawn

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale 900

Bike Setup:   As purchased...Shimano Deore Drivetrain

Submitted by R K a Weekend Warrior from SD, CA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2006

Strengths:    strong, light, sturdy

Weaknesses:    components

Bottom Line:
Great all-mountain bike!! Its light enough for cross-country and sturdy enough for downhill. I've done both and this bike performs awesome! I especially like the fact that the rear shock is protected by its own cage. Its a shame Cannondale discontinued this bike and went with the Prophet (although the Prophet rides well too). The only downfall I've had to adapt to is the replacement of components. The original set-up falls short of the performance the bike has to offer. Additionally, the bike gets squirrelly if you upgrade your fork more than 120mm. Bottom line: great bike!

Favorite Trail:   Fujimi Panorama / Duck Pond (Jpan)

Purchased At:   military base

Bike Setup:   Shimano XT, Hayes disk brakes, Mavic rims

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Orangevale,CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2006

Strengths:    the Lefty is awsome, this was my 1st lefty and im sold.

Weaknesses:    Deore Front der,cranks and shift pods. thoose will probably be replaced if they ever fail. but so far they are perfect.

Bottom Line:
awsome awsome bike. i even like it better than the rush, i swear it handles better than a rush 1000. i like the tail end on this bike better than most. i love cannondale's!! and the next bike will be a cannondale. and there customer service is the best.

Favorite Trail:   mt.tam

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   other cannondales

Bike Setup:   stock, but took off the crappy tires and put on panaracer trailblasters

Submitted by Todd Davison a Cross Country Rider from Olympia, Washington

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2006

Strengths:    This is a great cross country bike, I kept it stock out of the store except for adding Velociraptor tires. It is light and strong and handled a lot of rocks and roots and ruts mud and winter wet riding in Capitol Forest. Bike staid working quite well for a long time and about first year.

Weaknesses:    Canondale service is basically some bizzare no mans land. If you break anything or need service you are screwed, you can't get it, the dealer is far away and cannot get it etc. Do not buy a Cannondale unless you buy 100% backup parts...which would be kind of absurd.

Bottom Line:
Great Bike!!! really poor service and company dealer backup. The Cannondale formula seems to be lets see how fast we can go out of Business in the USA. Who should buy it? Someone who: A>) doesn't like riding much and wants a real nice bike to look at, cause if you ride a lot your gonna need service and you won't get it. Or B:) Your'e gonna ride it hard for a season and then get rid of it again because your gonna need a lot of service and won't get it, or C:) your a gear and mechanic head and want to spend a lot of time getting parts etc and driving around a lot to get to bike shops. Bottom Line for me is I bought a Specialized Enduro Expert and did not move up the Cannondale line.

Favorite Trail:   Capitol Forest Single Track

Purchased At:   Center Cycle Inc, Renton WA.

Similar Products Used:   Earlier Cannondale, New Specialized Enduro Expert-which is probably twice the bike as the Jekyll.

Bike Setup:   Stock out of shop

Submitted by Scott Marlow a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Strengths:    Lefty Fork, Hayes disc brakes

Weaknesses:    no off position for Lefty front shock, poor cable routing causes wear on frame/fork.

Bottom Line:
I love my Jekyll; it's the best bike that I've ridden since 1992. Ascends better than my hardtails. The Lefty is rigid, Rigid, RIGID!

I wish my Lefty could be turned off for climbing; it nose dives on hard climbs and sucks a lot of energy. For the price, Cannondale should also include an adapter mount for a fork rack (like Hurricane Component's For Up). The cable routing caused frame wear early on, and Cdale's supplied frame protector tape is a joke (they obviously know this is a problem).

Still, I never knew full suspension could be so fast and responsive. Kudos to Cannondale for engineering a variable rear suspension that can be adjusted for downhill vs. tight, twisty singletrack.

If you are considering this bike, you might also demo the Jamis Dakkar, which had a similar fit for me.

Bike Setup:   OEM

Submitted by Adam geoffroy a Downhiller from belchertown Ma U.S

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Strengths:    Good Bike

Weaknesses:    Was a rental,so rims a little bent, but nothing big

Bottom Line:
Good Bike for the price i got it at. not sure what came sock on it for them but it came great stock for me. Buy if you like a bike thats willing to hit thoses 4 foot drops on the trails and is not having you worry about it.

Favorite Trail:   steep one

Purchased At:   Killinton VT

Submitted by lasse a Cross Country Rider from Stockholm/Sweden

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2005

Strengths:    The hole bike.whit thw lock out on the rear damper and the frame thats sooo coooool. u if u are like near the 100kg line so its just by and race..

Weaknesses:    the super fatty fork that dont have lockout.

Bottom Line:
The best by i have done ever....Thanks cannondale

Favorite Trail:   Hellasfarm

Purchased At:   private

Similar Products Used:   DBR v-link. nice but not as the jekyll

Bike Setup:   xt driv train all thro.

Submitted by Andro Galero a Weekend Warrior from Butuan City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2005

Strengths:    5 inches of travel!!! 26 lbs!!! hydro disc brakes!!!

Weaknesses:    I live in the Philippines and i don't know any bikeshop or anyone who can repair a Lefty fork. Might send it back to the US for maintenance and repair.

Bottom Line:
The Lefty fork gets a lot of questions off and on the trail. And it has the performance and travel to back its unusual looks. The best bike i ever owned!

Favorite Trail:   Malalag Trail